• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

cajunator

Banned
Who's ready for a Raiders write up?

40423-Milana-Vayntrub-wink-0wsd.gif

shes so adorable

jakncoke

Banned
You probably are because no one else pays attention to poor news

Yeah I knew wasnt going to a thread about it because its not some nerd company, website or mouthbreather related. Speaking of website Zillow bought Trulia for 3.5 billion

Am i the only one who has no idea who that is?

I dont either.

I think I'm more surprised that Family Dollar is worth $8.5 billion.

That too in the article i was reading they were set to close 400 underperforming stores. Apparently this now makes a 18 billion a year 13000 stores company.

cajunator

Banned
SAints offense "won" the first practice and defense decidedly won today. Both sides are looking pretty fierce. Should be a fun year. Injuries will mostly determine how far this team can go.

Sanjuro

Your tmnt stream makes me think different. In the brief time I watched you fail you muttered nothing but curse words!

Again, I don't think you are very familiar with that fucking game.

I wish there was a way of playing Turtles in Time co-op online.

*deep breath*

What to watch for 2014:

NY Giants

2013 was a painful season for Giants fans. The team started out 0-6 and looked like the worst team in the NFL. Right up there with the Jaguars. Jerry Reese thought he could get one more year out of an aging roster and he was about as wrong as a GM could get. After years of ignoring the offensive line, everything came crashing down. The ridiculous number of injuries on both sides of the ball didn't help but that can't excuse the fact that we had old broken down bodies trying to protect Eli Manning. Alon with that a completely garbage set of linebackers, aging corners, a decimated running back group and laughable tight ends.

This all lead to Eli Manning's worst season as a pro and to an offensive system that couldn't be called anything other than broken. The team finished strong though with a 7-9 record and a decent defense thanks in part to the addition of Jon Beason who came in as part of a mid-season trade. That and the play of our safeties including the now departed Will Hill. Even then, the strength of the defense was a bit of an illusion as the Giants played a parade of back-up QB's that well...sucked.

So what does 2014 have in store for us? Well...

OFFENSE

The 2013 season led to the retirement of Kevin Gilbride. With the arrival of new offensive coordinator Ben Mcadoo, the Giants will be installing a new offense for the first time in nearly 10 years. Some reports have already detailed that McAdoo will be emphasizing the short passing game as he moves the team to more of a west coast offense. The Giants have been known for their power run game for quite some time now including heavy emphasis on counters, ISO and fullback play. Now the line will be asked to focus more on zone run schemes with a mix of power.

QB - Eli Manning remains the starter. New QB coach Danny Langdorf will look to rehabilitate the 2x Super Bowl champion after his poor fundamentals and horrid line play led to a 27 interception season. Behind him is 4th rounder Ryan Nassib and veteran Curtis Painter. The #2 QB jobs should be an interesting competition. The Giants don't want to carry three QB's so if Ryan Nassib can't prove he deserves the job, he may end up getting cut in favor of the more experienced Painter.

Projection: Eli Manning, Ryan Nassib

RB - Free Agent pickup Rashad Jennings from the Oakland Raiders is the unquestionable starter here. After being completely decimated by injuries last season and dealing with a group that couldn't hold onto the ball, he brings a proven three down back mentality the Giants sorely need. Recently cleared for contact, David Wilson will likely end up being his primary back-up. The Giants first rounder hasn't been able to get his career on track after fumbling issues and a serious neck injury. He hopes to finally break out this season. Behind them are veterans Peyton Hillis, second year man Michael Cox and 4th round rookie Andrew Williams.

Williams has been getting plenty of work as the goal line back. His college stats are too good to ignore and the Giants love him as a downhill north/south type of runner. Hillis did some good work for the Giants last season and brings a dependability as a pass protector the team hasn't had since they released Bradshaw.

Projection: Rashad Jennings, David Wilson, Peyton Hillis, Andre Williams

FB - The Giants have two veterans at full back in camp right now; Henry Hynoski and John Connor. Both of these guys are excellent blockers. Both are pretty good at catching a few passes out of the backfield as well. The bigger question here is whether the Giants will even carry a fullback? The team has had tight ends cycle in and out of the position all camp long and there is a good possibility that both of these guys will be on the free agent market if there is another body the Giants want to keep at another position.

Projection: If they keep a fullback, I say its John Connor's job to lose.

TE - One of the biggest question marks on the team right now. The Giants have absolutely nothing in the way of a proven NFL tight end on the roster at the moment. The group consists of third year man Adrien Robinson who hasn't been able to stay healthy up until now. Larry Donnell who earned some good praise in camp last year but never translated it to the field. Veterans Kellen Davis and Daniel Fells who haven't proven much and UDFA Xavier Grimble. Donnell, Robinson and Grimble are having a nice camp right now but this is one of the biggest competitions on the team. The Giants usually carry three TE's on their 53 man roster.

Projection: Larry Donnell, Adrien Robinson, Kellen Davis (Grimble to practice squad)

WR - Another group going through a transition. Victor Cruz is the #1 guy in this group. Even though he'll spend a majority of this time in the slot. The Giants are hoping Reuben Randle can step up and be the big outside target Eli once had in Hakeem Nicks. The communication issues from last year must disappear. First Rounder Odell Beckham Jr. will get reps but first he has to get on the field. The kid has been suffering from a hamstring injury that's forced him to miss most of camp right now. Behind these three guys are vets Mario Manningham, speedster Jerrel Jernigan and some other camp bodies like Marcus Harris and Trindon Holliday who's there more as a punt returner. Jernigan had a nice 3 game breakout streak last season and Manningham hopes to bounce back after a few injury plagued seasons in San Francisco.

Projection: Victor Cruz, Reuben Randle, Odell Beckham Jr., Jerrell Jernigan, Mario Manningham, Marcus Harris

OL - Another big focus for the offense. The Giants offensive line has been almost completely remade. Starting RG Chris Snee has retired. Center David Baas and LG Kevin Boothe were released. Leaving only LT/RT Will Beatty and Justin Pugh as the only returning starters in the group. Pugh had a great rookie season and hopes to build on that. Beatty was a disaster last season and is coming off of a broken leg. The Giants hope he can return to his 2012 form that earned him a long term contract. The Giants also signed Geoff Schwartz from the Chiefs in the offseason to man the LG position. They also brought in veteran JD Walton to take over at center. At RG the Giants have been testing out third year man Brandon Mosely as well as second round pick Weston Richburg who primarily plays center but has enough versatility to play guard. Walton is having a good camp but Richburg is getting high praise and many pundits believe its only a matter of time until he cracks the starting lineup. John Jerry is also vying for the guard position and the team seems to like him but he's coming off of an injury and the whole bully-gate scandal in Miami.

Projection: Will Beatty, Justin Pugh, Geoff Schwartz, JD Walton, Weston Richburg, Brandon Mosely, John Jerry

DEFENSE

The only bright spot for the team last season. A pretty solid defense hopes to become one of the leagues best with a completely remade secondary, linebacking group and younger bodies on the defensive line.

DL - The Giants let run stuffer Linval Joseph go to the Vikings after a strong 2013 campaign. Par for the course as they already had his replacement drafted in Jonathan Hankins who really came on in the latter half of last season. Cullen Jenkins is the proven starter in the middle and it will be up veteran Mike Patterson and Hankins to compete for the spot next to him. John Kuhn is also having a good camp and UDFA Kelcy Quarles has a real shot to make the team. Third round pick Jay Bromley is also coming along though he's been more quiet. On the outside the Giants are hoping that a fully healthy Jason Pierre-Paul can return to his 2011 dominating form. On the other side, 31 year old Mathias Kiwanuka is penned in as the starter. Kiwi isn't what he used to be and I think there's a good chance second year man DeMontre Moore will overtake him as the starter. If not by opening day then shortly afterwards. The coaches and other defensive players are raving about Moore and his ridiculous get off and motor. Expect big things from him if he's given the chance and can stay healthy. The Giants also brought in Robert Ayers for depth.

Projection: Cullen Jenkins, Jon Hankins, Mike Patterson, Jay Bromley, JPP, Kiwi, DeMontre Moore, Robert Ayers

LB - Returning players here include ILB Mark Herzlich and OLB's Spencer Paysinger and Jacquain Williams. Herzlich is on the bubble. He's primarily a special teams guy and a good one at that but he's been given the opportunity to take over at MLB several times and he simply isn't up to the task. Paysinger is slow to react but a decent tackler and Williams is one of the better cover backers on the team. Jon Beason is the big difference maker here as his addition helped to solidify all aspects of the defense thanks to his leadership and communication. He's out with a foot injury but it looks like he'll make it back for opening day. He's a liability in coverage but he makes up for it with is ability to diagnose the offense and properly make changes to the D. Jameel McClain was also brought in to help solidify the outside. A long time Ravens veteran, he should add some attitude and run stopping ability. Fifth rounder Devon Kennard has been impressing the coaches so much they have him playing with the first team in the middle and on the outside. Also, UDFA Dan Fox out of ND is making a name for himself in camp. He's got excellent speed and is already doing well reading and reacting to plays. He's sleeper who may very well find himself a spot on the final 53.

Projection: Jon Beason, Jameel McClain, Spencer Paysinger, Jacquain Williams, Devon Kennard and Dan Fox are all looking good to make the final roster.

S - One of the teams strengths coming into the season. The group took a hit with the release of (dummy) Will Hill. Even with his loss, this is a strong group. Antrel Rolle is coming off of the best season of his career. He's a vocal leader in the backfield and he'll be paired with Stevie Brown. Stevie is coming off of an ACL tear but prior to that led the team in interceptions. Brown has proven himself to be a ball hawk and is everything Fewell loves in a safety. Backing him up is another free agent acquisition, Quentin Demps. He has starting experience from his time Kansas City and will also likely take over kick return duties for us. Behind them are younger guys in second year man Cooper Taylor and Nat Berhe who are both having solid camps.

Projection: Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown, Quentin Demps, Cooper Taylor, Nat Berhe.

CB - Another unit that has gotten a complete face lift. The only two returning players in this group are Prince Amukamara and previous starter Trumaine McBride. The Giants poured a good deal of free agency money in this spot starting with key acquisition Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He was given a nice sized deal after a break out season in Denver though questions still follow him on his effort after many piss poor years in Philly and stating he wanted to retire if Denver won the Super Bowl. Nonetheless, he'll be depended on in a major way on this defense. Along with Cromartie, the Giants brought in Walter Thurmond from the Seahawks to man the nickel corner spot. Zack Bowman was also brought in from the Bears and has been making noise at camp. Second year man Charles James II is also making his presence known and has a good chance of making the roster. Sixth round pick Bennett Jackson is likely headed for the practice squad.

Projection: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Prince Amukamara, Walter Thurmond, Zack Bowman, Charles James II.

SPECIAL TEAMS

P _ Nothin much to say here. Steve Weatherford has this wrapped up.

K - There is a little more competition happening here. The Giants are happy with Josh Brown who did an admirable job last year but they also brought in Brandon McManus to push Brown and frankly, Brown isn't taking it well. He was noticeably miffed when asked about the competition when talking to the media. Brandon McManus has a shot to oust Brown thanks to a strong camp where he's been outkicking Brown on kickoffs.

Wrap Up

A completely remade offense, a slew of free agency talent brought in to reinforce both sides of the ball and a reshuffle of the coaching staff means this is a Giants team in transition. I don't think this is a year where the team will contend but can I say that absolutely? Not really. You never know with Coughlin's Giants. They may look about as bad as a team can look one minute and the next they're beating playoff teams if they can put it together.

They have a chance to make it back to the tournament if the division is as weak as it has been for the last few years. Either way, its an exciting season for fans. If only to see how this new offensive system works out.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thanks fv.

If you're planning on doing a write up, please note that you don't have to pen a book, like fv and me.

jakncoke

Banned
Again, I don't think you are very familiar with that fucking game.

I wish there was a way of playing Turtles in Time co-op online.

So angry. I bet if you streamed something else it wouldnt be any different! Prove me wrong.

man what is wrong with Colbert. I can see why we'd bring back Keisell under a vet min contract, but why would we touch Harrison with our logjam of LB

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So angry. I bet if you streamed something else it wouldnt be any different! Prove me wrong.

man what is wrong with Colbert. I can see why we'd bring back Keisell under a vet min contract, but why would we touch Harrison with our logjam of LB

Harrison may be more of a need the the beard, actually. The olb position is thin and I'm not sold on Worilds or Jones right now. But I don't think either will be back unless there's an injury or two.

jakncoke

Banned
Harrison may be more of a need the the beard, actually. The olb position is thin and I'm not sold on Worilds or Jones right now. But I don't think either will be back unless there's an injury or two.

Then we should sign someone of use. Harrison was washed up in Pitt, so an extra year of Cincy isnt going to change that. Im not sure if there is anything on the FA list anymore though.

jakncoke

Banned
Because ESPN free agency list apparently now on insider looking through CBS list. They list 186 names. Here who they got listed as still on the market, dunno if this is accurate though.

HOFinley
Ryan Pickett
Kyle Cook
Santonio Holmes
David Stewart
Jabari Greer
James Harrison
Terrelle Thomas
Eric Winston
Isaac Sopaaga
Asante Samuel
Vonta Leach
Drayton Florence
Richie Incognito
Levi Brown
Steve Gregory
Dustin Keller
Ben Hartstock
Samson Satele
Le'ron McClain
Kevin Kolb
Michael Bush
Tony Pashos

JABEE

ez, at least admit Chip Kelly had a good season last year. Like Kelly said in the MMQB article, they were 7-1 during the second half of the season. Once Foles was set in the offense the Eagles were pretty damn great last season.

They lost to the Saints by a field goal, because of a shitty kick from Alex Henery.

Top Bottom