• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Dragon

Banned
VpxLJKa.jpg

Hey that's my desk Dammit!

bionic77

The thing that sort of bothers me about the ice bucket challenge, and I guess its entirely selfish, is that its another trendy disease charity when there are so many other diseases just as bad that get shit for attention. My mom has diffuse systemic scleroderma, which has a 55% 10 year survival rate and basically cripples you if you do survive, and is almost as common as ALS, but it doesn't get the kind of coverage and charity the trendy diseases get.
Don't call a disease trendy.

That's douchey.

Sorry about your mom though. Like I said before diseases are the worst.

Other than the whores and sluts that had sex with Gronk no one deserves a disease.

Well maybe Bill Belichek and Hitler...

The thing that sort of bothers me about the ice bucket challenge, and I guess its entirely selfish, is that its another trendy disease charity when there are so many other diseases just as bad that get shit for attention. My mom has diffuse systemic scleroderma, which has a 55% 10 year survival rate and basically cripples you if you do survive, and is almost as common as ALS, but it doesn't get the kind of coverage and charity the trendy diseases get.

What bothers me about it are the people dumping ice on their head and not donating.

If you're not going to donate, at least raise awareness, if you're not going to do either, you're an asshole.

What bothers me about it are the people dumping ice on their head and not donating.

... that's the point of the ice bucket.

A) Someone calls you out
B) You either dump the bucket on your head then post on social media(to raise awareness)
or
C) Donate money.

If you do both then obviously you're going above and beyond, but at least do one if you're tagged.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Before we drafted him :"")

Konka

Banned
... that's the point of the ice bucket.

A) Someone calls you out
B) You either dump the bucket on your head then post on social media(to raise awareness)
or
C) Donate money.

If you do both then obviously you're going above and beyond, but at least do one if you're tagged.

Yeah I get that. Like Ez said, you should do B and C.

JABEE

or because they're absolutely awful and will be for a while. Old school 76ers are awesome tho.
Even when the Sixers had AI and went to the Finals, I was always a bigger Eagles, Flyers, and Phillies fan. You're right it does contribute to it. The competitive balance in the NBA is shit.

Godslay

Banned
I assume most people are doing b and c.

Yeah, most people are at least the celebs I've seen.

As to the guy with his mom being ill...

Well wishes to her, but it's best to treat these situations with a positive outlook, rather than misguided jealousy. I hope for her sake that her disease gets more exposure, but you can't take away from other people's success given the topic.

Konka

Banned
They are not. It's usually one or the other (for normal people anyways), celebrities and athletes are probably doing both since well they are in a special category.

Not everyone has $100 to donate...

That's fine, chip in 10. I don't want to dwell on it because it is raising awareness and generating money for the cause but I feel like some people definitely on my Facebook are doing it just because it is the current thing everyone is doing and not really concentrating on the point behind it all.

Idk, Donate what money you got. Nobodys gonna call you out for not donating enough money to a good cause.

I'm just explaining to what the actual challenge states... and that was the point is that if you don't have money you raise awareness to people who haven't heard of it, and maybe they have the money.

That's fine, chip in 10. I don't want to dwell on it because it is raising awareness and generating money for the cause but I feel like some people definitely on my Facebook are doing it just because it is the current thing everyone is doing and not really concentrating on the point behind it all.

Even if they have bad intentions, or no intentions at least they are raising awareness for it. It's better then nothing... or that's my take. Maybe one of them is like wtf is ALS, then google it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So Phil Simms is gonna call the Washington Redskins, Washington, yet other teams with their moniker

Why not just call all teams by their city?, Jesus fuck talk about being an attention whore commentator
Just do it, don't announce to the world that you are going to take a stand

I think it would be naive to think that every single person who does the Ice Bucket Challenge is doing it purely out of the goodness of their heart. I have no doubt there is a element of bandwagon-jumping/"look at me too" vanity for a minority of the people doing it.

But for the majority of folks doing it, I think they are learning more and more about ALS through this campaign and they legitimately want to do their part in fighting it. Lou Gehrig's is an awful, terrifying disease. Any little thing that could be done to raise awareness for it, educate more people about it, and eventually get more people contributing (whether that be financially or just their time) towards fighting it, the better.

bionic77

I think it would be naive to think that every single person who does the Ice Bucket Challenge is doing it purely out of the goodness of their heart. I have no doubt there is a element of bandwagon-jumping/"look at me too" vanity for a minority of the people doing it.

But for the majority of folks doing it, I think they are learning more and more about ALS through this campaign and they legitimately want to do their part in fighting it. Lou Gehrig's is an awful, terrifying disease. Any little thing that could be done to raise awareness for it, educate more people about it, and eventually get more people contributing (whether that be financially or just their time) towards fighting it, the better.
Don't see how people can find a negative in this.

Isn't this better than people taking a picture of their dinner or the typical duck face selfie?

At least it is something positive.

We should encourage this. Even from the attention whores.

Yeup. My pal is likely to not see Age 30. Shit's scary.

TheFatOne

Gronk practiced in 11 vs 11. Easley looked good. Mayo,Dobson, and Kelly back at practice. Things are looking good so far for the Pats. Just have to try and stay healthy.

Colasante

The acquisitions of Malcolm Butler and WR Brian Tyms are two prime examples of Michael Lombardi's influence on #Patriots player personnel

Apparently Lombardi loved Tyms in Cleveland and convinced Bill to bring him over, and fought for Butler as a priority UDFA. Praise Lombardi!

15574224-standard.jpg

Top Bottom