• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Do all of you guys have a stadium in the middle of nowhere suburbs?

Who else has a stadium in the actual city beside Seattle, New Orleans? Redskins kind of close right? I've still confuse as to how Dallas is so god damn far away. Family and friends down there telling me it takes them over an hour to watch their team. That's retarded.... like real fucking stupid.

aerial.jpg

Konka

Banned
Just got back from seeing Raiders at the theater. First time seeing it on the big screen, still an incredible film.

Hunter S.

Who else has a stadium in the actual city beside Seattle, New Orleans? Redskins kind of close right? I've still confuse as to how Dallas is so god damn far away. Family and friends down there telling me it takes them over an hour to watch their team. That's retarded.... like real fucking stupid.

Sports Authority Field at Mile High
1701 Bryant Street, Denver, CO 80204

Mile High Stadium was also in Denver. The Rockies, Avalanche and Nuggets also all play in Denver itself.

We cool like that!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park are smack in the center of Downtown Houston. NRG Stadium is on the south end of the Loop just inside Kirby and the feeder.

I thought that AT&T Stadium was at Arlington, and that's like far from the greater Dallas area.

Arlington is right in between Fort Worth and Dallas though.

Long time no post bros. It's been a hectic week.

In the good news, I just got a job at a energy systems consulting firm in Charlotte. Pumped for that.

In the bad news, I just lost my grandma. She hadn't really taken care of herself and had a number of health scares over the years. Eventually her heart and kidneys just gave out. Last weekend she went to the hospital and the doctors gave her at best a month to live. We lost her tonight.

I'm just glad that all 6 of her children and all 19 of her grandkids (me being the oldest) were able to see her before she passed.

TL;DR: Life is wild man

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

In the good news, I just got a job at a energy systems consulting firm in Charlotte. Pumped for that.

In the bad news, I just lost my grandma. She hadn't really taken care of herself and had a number of health scares over the years. Eventually her heart and kidneys just gave out. Last weekend she went to the hospital and the doctors gave her at best a month to live. We lost her tonight.

I'm just glad that all 6 of her children and all 19 of her grandkids (me being the oldest) were able to see her before she passed.

Congrats and sorry for your loss man...

RBH

Sorry to hear that

My condolences.

bionic77

My condolences Grover.

I saw the Substitute over the past 3 days on Netflix I thought it held up. Had average reviews on Netflix but I liked it.

WedgeX

Banned

Ford Field is in the heart of downtown Detroit. No more in the middle of wherethefuckisPontiacat?

:)

:(

squicken

Gary Kubiak will have the team's analystics director in his ear during games

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ll-be-in-kubiaks-headset?campaign=Twitter_atn

The NFL's "play it by the book" adage has taken on a different meaning in the age of analytics.

Ron Rivera learned the hard way. After being saddled with the NFL's worst record in close games early in his Panthers coaching career, Rivera saved his job with an epiphany that abandoned long-held, risk-averse gridiron axioms.

Rivera ditched conventional wisdom after reviewing a study by a professor at his alma mater, UC Berkeley.

"There's a stats professor at Cal who did a study on fourth down and concluded you're more apt to make it on fourth down than on third down," Rivera told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver in 2013. "So is that the new book? My attitude is, forget 'The Book.'"

Armed with an expanded understanding of probability in determining the outcome of football games, Rivera began reeling off victories in close games by employing the enlightenment of analytics.

Rivera isn't the only coach investing in "calculated risk taking."

Recently hired director of analytics, Mitch Tanney, has been trailing coach Gary Kubiak during game-simulation portions of Broncos practice early in training camp.

"If we're moving the ball or we're doing formatting," Kubiak explained, via the team's official website, "I've got Mitch with me because he's going to be on the headset."

Tanney's role is to feed Kubiak quick reports on the statistical probabilities of key situations.

Rivera discovered that passively settling for field goals or punts rather than aggressively going for first downs and extended possessions was a losing philosophy.

Tanney will advise Kubiak on the risk-reward ratios that can be used to improve decision-making on fourth downs and at the goal line.

"Sometimes you play by the book and you miss opportunities," Rivera said of his 2013 conversion. "It's been an enlightening situation for me. One of the things that I want to try to do is to make sure we are in the best position to win. And the other realization is kicking field goals is obviously not good enough."

One can't help but wonder if Packers coach Mike McCarthy might have embraced a "fortune favors the bold" approach if he had a director of analytics in his ear in the NFC Championship Game.

For that matter, it's fair to ask if Pete Carroll would have put the ball in Marshawn Lynch's hands with the Super Bowl on the line.

sorry about your grandmother, Grover

Congrats on the job

sorry to hear that :(

Godslay

Banned

Sorry to hear Grover, we can never replace the ones we love and lose. At the same time I am happy that you have the beginnings of a career.

Gary Kubiak will have the team's analystics director in his ear during games

sorry about your grandmother, Grover

Congrats on the job

Read that as well. I'm sure the analytics guy will just call draws on 3rd and longs. The only problem I see with it, is that I hope it doesn't lead to overtly conservative play calling. It's one thing to know what's the best play numbers wise, it's another to use judgment otherwise. Even so, it reminds me of this, hopefully it bears true:

As a general rule, the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.
— Benjamin Disraeli

squicken

Read that as well. I'm sure the analytics guy will just call draws on 3rd and longs. The only problem I see with it, is that I hope it doesn't lead to overtly conservative play calling. It's one thing to know what's the best play numbers wise, it's another to use judgment otherwise. Even so, it reminds me of this, hopefully it bears true:

As a general rule, the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.
— Benjamin Disraeli

Kubes doesn't need help with the give up draw

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/2/11/3974596/third-down-give-up-draws-gary-kubiak-and-you

He was an infuriating game manager. This is a good thing, slay. Assuming he listens

Mindlog

My condolences man and also congrats on the job.

Konka

Banned
The end should always be with family and friends. Sorry for the loss Grover, but at least she saw them all.

My diet is saved!
I will get my six pack V-8 back without giving up pizza or beer.

Today I got my warmup/cooldown 6miles done in ~an hour. Then I pounded six beers. My math checks out right?

Thank you my friend. I shall have that tomorrow.

You're welcome friends, spreading cheap pizza deals is my life calling. I ran two miles today and followed up with a glass of bourbon so I think you're alright,

cashman

Banned

Sorry about your grandma :( and congrats on the job.
Lost my own about six weeks ago. She was going to the hospital to test some of her hemoglobin levels and had a heart attack on the way there. She seemed like she was for the most part healthy and it came out of nowhere.

jbug617

Banned

Sorry to hear that. All the best to you and your family

Mindlog

Nothing better for dinner than a rare steak. That shit is still moo'ing.
Almost ordered blue at the last place I went. A good steak place is fantastic, but my home-made Porterhouses are nothing to scoff at.

Been meaning to get into large scale sous-vide. This is the year.

Beer after being dehydrated hits pretty damn hard.

Downloaded that new Yu-gi-oh game for ps4 for no reason. I haven't played that game since 2006
How much does it cost?..... I use to love the games back in the day....

Also Browns gaf I'll do a write up like usual, but it's probably gonna be after the first preseason game. Have two big papers I have to finish first. So anyone feel free to do one

How much does it cost?..... I use to love the games back in the day....

Also Browns gaf I'll do a write up, but it's probably gonna be after the first game. Have two big papers I have to finish first. So anyone feel free to do one

20 bucks. Also why your boy Amell wrestling at Summerslam in two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom