• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnet87

You can't throw him in the meat grinder yet he's looked great in preseason but he still has some developing and learning ahead. Mech is right Dak playing preseason defenses is totally different than playing a defense that has tape on you and gameplans for you. Give the guy another season or two to learn and develop and we could have a true replacement to Romo. I really dislike that so many rookie qb's are thrown into the fire so quick. It really hurts their development. I think with the qb position you have to have some patience. Lots of programs don't run pro offenses and making that switch can take some time. You get some guys out of college that can't read defenses but are expected to be the next Peyton, Brady or Montana and when they stumble and under perform media and fans crucify them.

I would rather see a young QB grow by playing and making mistakes vs sitting on the bench, but I just side on that line of the philosophy personally. I see the Cowboys as a pretty good situation where a rookie QB could land. Strong O-Line and run game, Dez is a freak who can bail out his QB, Witten a solid option as a safety valve. If (more like when) Romo goes down they might go to Clemens or sign a veteran QB but I can't the see Cowboys not starting Dak at some point if the season goes to shit.

Football Clark Kent needs to give STD Man another bearhug tonight

final-play-of-patriots-pathers.gif

jmood88

Since I have nothing else to do before I head over to the Superdome for tonight's game, here are some pictures I took from the first training camp practice I've gone to in about 7 years:
_DSC2761 by Jmood 88, on Flickr
_DSC2906 by Jmood 88, on Flickr
_DSC2933 by Jmood 88, on Flickr
_DSC2978 by Jmood 88, on Flickr

They somehow both missed the punch
_DSC3086 by Jmood 88, on Flickr
_DSC3093 by Jmood 88, on Flickr
_DSC3260 by Jmood 88, on Flickr
_DSC3269 by Jmood 88, on Flickr
_DSC3209 by Jmood 88, on Flickr

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2016-pittsburgh-steelers-1785792412

Vontaze Burfict is the best player on our team.
The team doctor, Dr. Joseph Maroon, was a CTE denying, and is now a CTE minimizing, quack, who was heavily relied upon by the league. He worked so hard to discredit Bennett Omalu that he drove him out of the state. Their continued association with Dr. Maroon is a disgrace and an insult, and it makes it really hard to give them $10 for a beer. I’ll still do it though, because I’m an asshole with no self control and the only way to tolerate Tom from Greensburg in the seat next to you is to drink.
The Ravens went 5-11 last year. The Steelers lost to them - twice.
I worked for a few hotels right near the stadium - players and coaches stayed there. Here are some recollections:

Ike Taylor nearly crashed his Jaguar into the front window and then yelled at a valet when the valet asked him to move his car off the sidewalk.

A 17-year-old Bieber look-alike in a pink tank-top came into the bar at 4pm on a Sunday night game-day and cold-cocked a girl in the mouth. The Steelers fans around him cheered.

A 150-year-old man turned a PT Cruiser into a mobile Steelers fan thing.

The night that Ben threw 6TD’s against the Colts in 2014, I was driving a shuttle full of drunk fans back to the hotel from the stadium. One of them said Andrew Luck looked like a pregnant Mel Gibson. I still don’t understand this comment.

LeGarrette Blount got high on our hotel terrace four nights a week.

The game when Brad Wing shanked a punt against the Bucs, allowing them to win the game, was on my birthday. Brad Wing told me to go to hell when I said “Good evening”.

So my real breakdown of last nights game....(although my breakdown last night was great too)

I really like how Tannehill has progressed so far, he has taken command of the offense and the pass blocking has allowed him to finish his reads and he's making decisions quicker (and the right ones) and he has done a good job of calling his audibles. I think he'll have a good year and I'm not delusional in thinking the team needs to make the playoffs for Tannehill to keep his job, like some idiots out there. Cameron has been a huge let down but everyone else on the offense seems to be improving with the exception of the run blocking which is god awful.

The offense will keep us in games but ultimately the terrible defense will keep us under .500 there are just too many holes to fix from last year (that weren't really addressed this off-season anyways)

Not much I could say about the defense other than I'm glad Wake seems to be back....

So my real breakdown of last nights game....(although my breakdown last night was great too)

I really like how Tannehill has progressed so far, he has taken command of the offense and the pass blocking has allowed him to finish his reads and he's making decisions quicker (and the right ones) and he has done a good job of calling his audibles. I think he'll have a good year and I'm not delusional in thinking the team needs to make the playoffs for Tannehill to keep his job, like some idiots out there. Cameron has been a huge let down but everyone else on the offense seems to be improving with the exception of the run blocking which is god awful.

The offense will keep us in games but ultimately the terrible defense will keep us under .500 there are just too many holes to fix from last year (that weren't really addressed this off-season anyways)

Not much I could say about the defense other than I'm glad Wake seems to be back....
I agree with you. Tannehill is already doing so much more than he did under previous regimes and the time he's had to process plays has been great for him. Let's hope it holds up in the regular season. I'm disappointed we haven't seen more explosive plays from DeVante Parker this preseason, though.

The running game is going to be bad. Line isn't built for run blocking and Ajayi/old Foster are average players at best.

I legitimately feel bad for Tony Lippett. Dude is clearly not ready to be a starting CB in the NFL and I have a feeling he'll be benched for Xavien Howard before too long.

I would rather see a young QB grow by playing and making mistakes vs sitting on the bench, but I just side on that line of the philosophy personally. I see the Cowboys as a pretty good situation where a rookie QB could land. Strong O-Line and run game, Dez is a freak who can bail out his QB, Witten a solid option as a safety valve. If (more like when) Romo goes down they might go to Clemens or sign a veteran QB but I can't the see Cowboys not starting Dak at some point if the season goes to shit.

Dallas is in a somewhat better situation to do this than other teams because their line is so solid and Dak would face a lot less pressure than a new QB on other teams. A rookie would have the time necessary to make decisions and make sure they have clean throwing mechanics. If they don't have that time they can form bad habits which I think can hurt them as much as help them. For example, I think that's partially what happened to Foles (other than him generally just sucking). Once Foles realized he had no offensive line he threw off his back foot so much that he essentially developed it as a habit and never recovered even when he had good protection.

As for Dallas, I'd still say they'd much rather have a veteran from the perspective that they think they have a team to make a deep playoff run. If that's the case you don't want someone who will use it as a learning experience, you want someone who is already learned.

Bread

Banned
if anyone saw that play without context they'd think "oh well of course it's a penalty, the ref threw a flag and everything!"

but then the nfl decided to rig the game against the patriots like usual smh

I agree with you. Tannehill is already doing so much more than he did under previous regimes and the time he's had to process plays has been great for him. Let's hope it holds up in the regular season. I'm disappointed we haven't seen more explosive plays from DeVante Parker this preseason, though.

The running game is going to be bad. Line isn't built for run blocking and Ajayi/old Foster are average players at best.

I legitimately feel bad for Tony Lippett. Dude is clearly not ready to be a starting CB in the NFL and I have a feeling he'll be benched for Xavien Howard before too long.

To be fair to Lippett due was a WR two years ago he's a work in progress and shouldn't be starting anyways...but that's how terrible our CBs and depth is...I don't care how brilliant Gase turns out to be this team had so many holes that he needs at least another offseason to make it at least decent and that's if you hit no the draft/FA and not keep getting busts like we have. Dion Jordan coming back and playing like he was projected too would do wonders for this team.

For the line the best we could do is make Turner the RG and hope Tunsil improves throughout the season but even then it'll still be pretty terrible.

To be fair to Lippett due was a WR two years ago he's a work in progress and shouldn't be starting anyways...but that's how terrible our CBs and depth is...I don't care how brilliant Gase turns out to be this team had so many holes that he needs at least another offseason to make it at least decent and that's if you hit no the draft/FA and not keep getting busts like we have. Dion Jordan coming back and playing like he was projected too would do wonders for this team.

For the line the best we could do is make Turner the RG and hope Tunsil improves throughout the season but even then it'll still be pretty terrible.
Yeah that's what I meant when I said Lippett isn't ready. He could get there eventually but he's way too raw right now, dude just gets burned constantly by quick moves.

who are you
gata alt

Zeke

Only problem with this is lot of young qb's won't grow. Most well become overwhelmed and regress and that's when you get a qb making dumb mistakes or making risky plays that hurt the team. Confidence goes a long way with players. You lose that and all the talent in the world won't make up for it. I don't want guys like Dez or Witten to have to bail our qb out I want Dak to be able to make and create plays. Let's be honest most fans aren't willing to watch a qb grow and make mistakes a couple of bad games they will be calling for that players head and the media will make it a circus. Dak looks like he has all the tools to succeed he just needs to polish some of his game up. I do agree that we'll see him start a few games due to injury or another wasted season. Like Bill Parcells said put the anointing oil away.

gutshot

Moved out of NYC to NJ.

New Verizon Fios customer - signed up for their internet + TV package which with taxes and rental fees comes out to 125 a month. Oh and with no DVR

ATT (my cell provider) offers for $66 per month (for 2 years) more on top of my cell bill (taxes included) 2 direct tv set ups with DVR and Sunday NFL ticket free the first year. SWEET!

Call up Fios and say cancel my tv, just want internet. I just got it installed 10 days ago so I am within the 30 day window to cancel or downgrade with no fee. Girl tells me oh since you aren't a new customer all I can reduce you from is 125 a month to 110 a month for just the internet. I blew up on her and she goes now the best I can do is 90 a month.

Such a scam. Thinking of cancelling all of it and to try comcast xfinity service for internet only. Optimum and Time Warner aren't options where I live.

Just cut the cord, man. There are so many ways to watch stuff online these days for super cheap. It's not worth dealing with the hassle of cable/satellite subs.

effzee

What part of NJ. The Comcast service in the suburbs of Philly isn't too bad I hear. For me in the city the Comcast service is essentially flawless.

North Jersey. Basically right by NYC.

My issue is I want to pay as little as possible for the internet and tv. But Fios is being bitchy about me downgrading.

Just cut the cord, man. There are so many ways to watch stuff online these days for super cheap. It's not worth dealing with the hassle of cable/satellite subs.

Not easy when you are an out of town fan trying to watch the games.

Is Sunday Ticket available through any other service like PS Vue? Or still exclusive through DirecTV?

Farooq

Banned
Dak was a developmental project going in, who was most likely going to be QB3 behind Moore. For the most part, he has done what was asked, which is encouraging, however the approach towards his development shouldn't change.

He still needs to work on his footwork and platform from which he throws. Still has a little hitch in his delivery that I think needs to be cleaned up. Haven't seen him drop back from center. Have not seen him throw into tight windows or throw antcipatory routes. Wish we could fast forward to next preseason and see if he makes significant improvement. It's hard to judge every aspect of QB play without all-22, but from what we have seen, Dak is dev project that looks promising. Nothing more imo.

I would rather have a vet as well, but the vet is going to take weeks to get familiar with the system. Not to mention any vet they like is probably on another team and is going to cost them a pick. Cowboys already gave a 2017 5th to the Bills for Matt Cassell. We were missing a 5th this year because of the trade for Butler. A 5th this year would have gotten an edge player like Tyrone Holmes or defensive lineman Ronald Blair, rookie players that have looked better than fucking Ryan Russell.

Edit: Blair was taking one pick ahead of what would have been the Cowboys pick. My bad.

SHIRTLESS LEAGUE IS BACK!

We might need 2 players depending on bans/availability/response from people who previously asked me to join.

Who's interested?

gutshot

North Jersey. Basically right by NYC.

My issue is I want to pay as little as possible for the internet and tv. But Fios is being bitchy about me downgrading.

Not easy when you are an out of town fan trying to watch the games.

Is Sunday Ticket available through any other service like PS Vue? Or still exclusive through DirecTV?

You might be eligible for the streaming Sunday Ticket package, depending on where you live. There's also ways to use a VPN to sign up for NFL GamePass in another country and watch the games through that service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom