• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Crn0fmuWgAAav-I.jpg

Everyone here is on the list!

hmmmm

edit:
had to look up cutters

Was "First Take" doing so well that Fox Sports 1 needed to hire Skip Bayless and make an exact copy of the show? Even the graphics are the same

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
As someone forced to listen to country music on a semi-regular basis, it wasn't really *that* country - especially with that Queen-esque beat.

As someone forced to listen to country music on a semi-regular basis, it wasn't really *that* country - especially with that Queen-esque beat.

So first you root for the pats, then you become king animu and now you defend terrible music. Do we need to have an intervention??

Philadelphia Eagles rookie quarterback Carson Wentz couldn't draw up a more fitting opponent than the Cleveland Browns for his NFL debut on Sunday.

Still in search of their 25th starting quarterback since being awarded a new franchise in 1999, theBrowns bypassed Wentz at No. 2 overall in favor of a bundle of draft picks with which to rebuild a long-dormant operation.

As if that slight didn't sting enough, ESPN.com's Tony Grossi has reported Cleveland's braintrust had reached the conclusion that Wentz would not develop into a top 20 NFL quarterback.

"We have to make judgments on the individual players and we're not always going to be right," chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta told Grossi. "But in this particular case, we just didn't feel it was necessarily the right bet to make for us at this time. Again, it comes down to individual evaluation of a player. We will not always be right on those type of things.

"I think the hardest part, and where we have to stay the most disciplined, as much as you want a player, you can't invent him if he doesn't exist. In a given year, there may be two or three NFL-ready quarterbacks at the college level. In another year, there literally may be zero. There just may be not be anybody in that year who's good enough to be a top 20 quarterback in the NFL."

The Browns believed there was one NFL-ready passer in this year's class, as NFL.com columnist Michael Silver recently reported that coach Hue Jackson was "locked in on" Cal's Jared Goff with the draft's second pick. Once the Los Angeles Rams traded ahead of Cleveland to target the apple of Jackson's eye, though, the quarterback plans grew more complicated.

Jackson ultimately decided he would rather attempt to resurrect the moribund career of former No. 2 overall pick Robert Griffin III than pull the trigger on his own quarterback of the future once Goff was off the table.

What was it about Wentz that raised greater skepticism than buy-in?

While DePodesta predictably neglected to divulge specifics, a source close to the Browns' decision to pass on Wentz told Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson that game film was the primary factor. The North Dakota State star wasn't a consistently dominant force against opponents that will never play on Sundays.

The Browns simply didn't grade Wentz as a franchise-altering talent along the lines of Steve McNair, who eclipsed the lesser competition at small-school Alcorn State in the 1990s.

It didn't help that Wentz struggled in wet conditions during his pro day, not long after Jackson emphasized the importance of a quarterback capable of handling the harsh conditions on the shores of Lake Erie.

If the Browns' brass viewed Wentz as a fringe NFL starter, what convinced the Eagles that he was worth the exorbitant price of five draft picks from 2016 through 2018?

Senior director of player personnel Tom Donahoe had already developed a high opinion of Wentz prior to the breakout senior season at North Dakota State. By the time Howie Roseman replaced Chip Kelly in the team's power structure, per Robinson, Donahoe's analysis had made in-roads with the new executive vice president of football operations as well as owner Jeffrey Lurie.

Beyond Donahoe's influence, Philadelphia is putting as much faith in NFL projection as college game film. Because Wentz played in a multiple-style offense that married college spread elements with NFL staples such as play-action passes and power sweeps, the Eagles are confident that his physical gifts, exceptional classroom work and experience in complex schemes bode well for his development.

As Roseman recently explained to The Ringer's Kevin Clark, his new quarterback is steeped in "a pro-style concept that hints at where the sport is going."

Coach Doug Pederson has already determined that Wentz is ready to lead his own NFL offense.

"Just watching him in person throwing the ball, the zone-read game, the run-pass option things that we did in the spring and in training camp," Pederson said in Monday's press conference, "some of the wow-factor throws that he makes from unconventional positions just kind of make you go: All right, this guy is going to be something special."

Sunday will mark the first opportunity for Wentz to reward his own organization's faith at the expense of the team that passed on his potential as a franchise savior. As Griffin's own labyrinthine career has proven, though, declaring premature victory in pre-draft personnel evaluations can quickly devolve from an "era of unbridled optimism" to a debaculous fiasco.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ort-browns-didnt-see-wentz-as-top20-qb-talent

I am a bit surprised to see the Browns be so candid about not thinking Wentz will work out. Usually teams wont say anything that can even be construed as the least bit negative about a player on another team.

gutshot

Yeah, there's nothing country about it except, I guess, for the Southern twang in Carrie's voice.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ort-browns-didnt-see-wentz-as-top20-qb-talent

I am a bit surprised to see the Browns be so candid about not thinking Wentz will work out. Usually teams wont say anything that can even be construed as the least bit negative about a player on another team.

Surprised David Carr even knew what sliding in the pocket looked like.

Line_HTX

Owner Jerry Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas that there’s no other position sufficiently valuable to justify removing Romo from the roster, via David Helman of the team’s official website.

Via multiple reports from people who don’t work for the team, Jones compared the process of deciding whether to place Romo on IR to "circumcising a mosquito."

Hmm.

Fantomex

Man I don't know what I would do without NFL GAF when it comes down to football. Bleacher Report, ESPN, Message Boards are just filled with trolls and extremists. I'm reading up on people already wanting to give up on Goff on the Rams boards, people wanting to call Wentz a bust before he even plays a full game on an Eagles board. It's just ridiculous. I'm not even sure when people are trolling out there anymore. It really makes you appreciate this group. I know we give each other crap and bust chops but at least we can be honest and level headed. I mean we even gave Stafford a chance for the first couple of years.

bigosc2k

Banned
Man I don't know what I would do without NFL GAF when it comes down to football. Bleacher Report, ESPN, Message Boards are just filled with trolls and extremists. I'm reading up on people already wanting to give up on Goff on the Rams boards, people wanting to call Wentz a bust before he even plays a full game on an Eagles board. It's just ridiculous. I'm not even sure when people are trolling out there anymore. It really makes you appreciate this group. I know we give each other crap and bust chops but at least we can be honest and level headed. I mean we even gave Stafford a chance for the first couple of years.

Never go outside of this bunker man

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Aikman on Bayless

“To say I’m disappointed in the hiring of Skip Bayless would be an enormous understatement,” Aikman said. “Clearly, [Fox Sports president of national networks] Jamie Horowitz and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to building a successful organization. I believe success is achieved by acquiring and developing talented, respected and credible individuals, none of which applies to Skip Bayless."

MechDX

Yeah most external message boards are pathetic. Sb Nation has some pretty nice ones though. I post regularly at Battle Red Blog over there. Big Blue View (Giants) and Field Gulls (Seahawks) also have some good contributors.

NFL.com is the absolute worst for comments.

I was thinking the other day how for the most part I like the Giants' SBN site Big Blue View but whenever I go to the comments section it's the usual sports fan hyperbole but like the number of Jerry Reese apologists even without the FA spending spree this year makes me roll my eyes.

I have newfound respect for Aikman.

I used to post on the SB nation dolphins blog, they have good people over there and I've even become friends with the writers and the organizers for the big meet ups in NYC when we play the jets. But anywhere else that I've been too has been nothing but trolling and horrible opinions regarding the team. The amount of people that still want to bench Tannehill for Moore is depressing.

Fantomex

All of you are right, gotta stay in the bunker. I thought SB NATINO had some good ones, but the Rams Turf Show Times is just made for views. They don't care about facts, they just go for headlines that will get people to argue and click.

Line_HTX

Wow.

Any history there? I think Skip used to cover the Cowboys so maybe he didn't get along with Aikman?

Wow talk about circumcising a mosquito.. (am I using that saying correctly?)

I don't know what that phrase even means or why Jerry said it like that.

gutshot

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Eagles are trading CB Eric Rowe to Patriots for OL Josh Kline and a draft pick, league sources tell @MikeReiss and me.

Figured this was coming after they didn't cut him. So Pats fans, is Kline any good?

All of you are right, gotta stay in the bunker. I thought SB NATINO had some good ones, but the Rams Turf Show Times is just made for views. They don't care about facts, they just go for headlines that will get people to argue and click.
So you really permanently squicken'd to the Rams, huh? I've been holding out hope that it's an elaborate joke for months but I'm starting to think you really did it. I'll miss you, friend. :(

effzee

Eagles are trading CB Eric Rowe to Patriots for OL Josh Kline and a draft pick, league sources tell @MikeReiss and me.

WTF why?

Rowe has the potential to be a really good starting corner and with him on the team we actually had some depth.

I guess I will trust Schwartz here but I really liked Rowe. Kline is going to be depth at Guard?

Hindl

Figured this was coming after they didn't cut him. So Pats fans, is Kline any good?

Interesting. Bummer about Rowe, was hoping he'll work out, but he wasn't impressing Schwartz I guess. Need to find out more about Kline. Problem is we have nice depth at G now, we really need depth at Tackle

gutshot

Eagles also get a 4th rounder that can become a 3rd, according to RapSheet.

I like this deal for us. We get rid of a guy we probably were going to cut anyway and add a starting caliber guard and an extra draft pick. Howie continues to make quality moves.

He showed a lot of potential in his rookie year, but at least in the new system seems to have regressed. If properly developed in the right system I think he can become a solid CB, just probably not lockdown.

His physical tools seem to fit better at safety than CB. For some reason, the Eagles kept trying to force him at the corner spot. Belichick might switch him to safety and he could excel there.

Fucking awful. Cant have any of Chip's draft picks potentially looking. I double hate that they gave him to the Pats. Watch him become a big time player for them. Man Howie is the fucking worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom