• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recorded the game, gonna watch soon. Can't wait to see all my boys :""")
RGbob we gonna do it.

I will posting like I'm following the game live.
im kidding.....or am I? Go Cleve

DMczaf

tumblr_o9hud9iip01rmvjexo1_1280.jpg

Slo

I expect all of you back here tomorrow with impressions of your games/players.

- Vikings OLine is hot garbage.
- Trae Wayans looks like he might be less of a bust than I've feared.
- This LB out of Missouri could be a decent replacement for Greenway. Here's hoping we've got our LBs drafted for the next 5-7 years.
- Treadwell looks like he could be worth a 1st rounder. He and Diggs could both be solid 2nd receivers, doubt he's a true #1 though.

MechDX

my keyboard i2s broke. ~WI cant hit 2s ~Without a 2s appearing or a ~W ~Without thi2s ~W appearing

~WI think my keyboard i2s drunk

- Vikings OLine is hot garbage.
- Trae Wayans looks like he might be less of a bust than I've feared.
- This LB out of Missouri could be a decent replacement for Greenway. Here's hoping we've got our LBs drafted for the next 5-7 years.
- Treadwell looks like he could be worth a 1st rounder. He and Diggs could both be solid 2nd receivers, doubt he's a true #1 though.

Teddy looked sharp despite the line.

Still needs to be more decisive.

in "who gives a shit?" news, apparently niners nobody bruce ellington torched the texans all day in the niners/texans scrimmage. surely this bodes well for when the regular season starts and ellington becomes an elite wr in the league.

surely

my keyboard i2s broke. ~WI cant hit 2s ~Without a 2s appearing or a ~W ~Without thi2s ~W appearing

~WI think my keyboard i2s drunk

Hey my Laptop keyboard just broke too, though its just my down key's latching mechanism breaking. Just spent $14 to replace it......its either this or replacing the whole damn keyboard, laptops suck because of that issue.

Gawd dammit! Recorded the version of the game with Wilcots and whoever else commentating. Wanted the local guys.

Feel like this is one of the first times Browns wore the the all white. Should wear white and the orange jerseys more. The brown jersey is my least favorite, but don't mind it with the orange pants.

RGBob to Pryor on first offensive play! We really did it!
s-0759edc76141070dc5f33e306c34608f3b62ccd0.gif

Pryor looked pretty good on that opening drive, he's come a long way since the end of last season :") impressive

Lots of motions on the drive

The Rg3 Int wasn't terrible, that was kinda on Floys boy Gary.

Alright I'll post the rest of my stuff in morning. Still watching <3

The little Browns/packers I've watched so far it's nice to not have a Jim o'neil Defense. FMT and Xia, you guys are in for a treat :")

Lmao.

Also so many NMS threads in gaming

Those threads all suck too. It's basically people who were convinced NMS was going to be amazing and people who were convinced it was the next Spore fighting over who gets to pat themselves on the back.

So Tyrod Taylor's new deal supposedly goes from $9 million salary in year 1 to $27 million salary in year 2....congrats on the one year deal, Tyrod.

Good news:

Vic Tafur &#8207;@VicTafur 13m13 minutes ago
I am told Mario Edwards&#8217; injury is not serious

BUT:

Vic Tafur &#8207;@VicTafur 11m11 minutes ago
Edwards left locker room on crutches

Jimmy Durkin &#8207;@Jimmy_Durkin 25m25 minutes ago
Edwards is not applying pressure to his left leg as he hobbled out on crutches. #Raiders

cdyhybrid

Seahawks Preseason Write-up

I'll go by position/group.

QB: Russell is the obvious starter. The drama at this position will be at the backup spot. Will Trevone Boykin show the staff enough to convince them to keep a rookie with character issues on as the backup to Russell Wilson? Or will local boy Jake Heaps make enough plays to make the backup spot? Many people expected the team to sign a veteran free agent to replace Tarvaris Jackson, but they haven't bitten on the guys that are out there at the moment, such as Michael Vick.

People will expect Russell to pick up where he left off last season, when he torched the NFL over the second half of the season, but there are many question marks that may prevent him from getting to that level of production even if he himself plays at that level. Will Thomas Rawls be healthy and able to produce at the same level? What about Jimmy Graham? Even if Jimmy is healthy, will he be the same player after a devastating injury? Will the OL not be a dumpster fire? Stay tuned!

RB: Rawls is the guy if he's healthy. We will see if he's still the same guy.

Otherwise, they've got three rookies and journeyman Christine Michael as the alternatives. Michael has been the preseason darling for the Hawks in years past, but has never managed to put it together in a fashion that enabled him to contribute in meaningful games. We'll see if he can this season.

Third round pick CJ Prosise was penciled in as the third down back as soon as he was drafted, being a very productive RB at a big-time school as well as being a former receiver. However, he's been hurt and has missed a lot of training camp so far, which will definitely not help get him on the field.

Rookies Alex Collins and Zac Brooks have talent, but it remains to be seen if they can get up to speed quickly enough to do everything that would be asked of them in this offense.

OL: The cause of much gnashing of teeth among Hawks fans a year ago, this unit may be an even bigger question mark this season. They lost two starters to free agency and when camp opened this season there were different starters at every position on the line. OL coach Tom Cable clearly values versatility and is obviously not afraid to shuffle the line around to see what he's working with, but this will always raise questions among those that would prefer a starting five that's set in stone and are battle-tested together.

The Hawks brought in veterans J'Marcus Webb and Bradley Sowell, and neither have received glowing reviews so far in camp, even from the ever-positive Cable. However, rookie first-round pick (and presumptive starting RG) Germain Ifedi might be the story of training camp so far. An absolutely massive human being, he has been the embodiment of everything Cable has been looking for in a lineman thus far. He's been incredibly physical and exceedingly competitive, which are the two things this organization strives for above all else - he's regularly gotten into dust-ups with Michael Bennett (considered one of the top DEs in all of football and one of the unquestioned leaders on this team). If he can refine his pass protection technique and learn to harness his competitive fire, he could lock down that RG spot for the next decade.

WR: The drama at this position will be on the fringes. Doug Baldwin, fresh off getting paid after tying for the league lead in TDs, is the clear #1 in the group. Jermaine Kearse is a solid #2, having made many clutch catches with this team. Beyond that is where the intrigue begins. Speedster Paul Richardson is finally healthy again, and hoping to return to the form that convinced the team that he could be the deep threat they lacked. He has apparently been blazing fast in camp, so the biggest obstacle for him is probably staying healthy.

Second-year player Tyler Lockett might have been the steal of the draft for the Hawks last season, making the Pro Bowl as a returner as a rookie as well as showing great flashes as a receiver. Reports out of camp are that he's taken a step forward as a receiver, and expectations for him are high.

Finally, former Washington Huskies Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith bring a physical element to the receiver corps that you might not find in the other guys expected to make the team. They've been around the team and have played here and there, so this may be the season they finally make the leap to the 53-man roster.

TE: Jimmy Graham's health is the obvious storyline here. He appeared to finally be getting in sync with Russell Wilson when he suffered his season-ending injury, so the hope is that he's fully recovered and able to pick up where they left off so he can be the deadly red-zone threat they were expecting when they traded for him. However, having suffered the same injury that kept Victor Cruz out of football for two seasons, we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, Luke Willson will be a solid start if Graham can't go - and if he can, Graham and Willson will be a fairly deadly TE combo if the Hawks want to test the middle of a defense down the field. Willson made great strides last season, particularly with the consistency of his hands.

Finally, third-round pick Nick Vannett of Ohio State was seen as a blocking TE when he was drafted, perhaps in part because Urban Meyer's offense didn't necessarily feature him, but he's earning rave reviews in camp and has convinced people that his receiving skills are not to be overlooked.

FB: Though the Seahawks are one of the few remaining bastions of valuing the fullback position in the NFL, even here this position is a question mark. With key players such as Rawls and Graham recovering from serious injuries (as well as the questions about the OL), the identity of the offense is in question - which means the necessity of having a fullback is in question. Pete Carroll would obviously prefer to run the ball behind a FB if that were a viable option, but time will tell if it is. Regardless, the Hawks are taking a look at two former Huskies at this position as well - John Amosa and rookie (and former DT) Tani Tupou, with the latter perhaps reminding people of Will Tukuafu, who was also a former DL.

DL: One of the biggest free agent departures from last season was DT Brandon Mebane, who was the centerpiece of the Hawks' run defense. A monster at the point of the attack as well as a veteran leader, the Hawks would obviously have preferred to keep him in blue. However, they drafted a young man in the second round that may be able to provide the same presence and physicality. Alabama DT Jarran Reed was widely considered to be the best DT in the draft, but concerns about his pass-rushing ability may have caused him to drop (partially because he wasn't necessarily asked to rush the passer at Alabama). If Reed can be what the Hawks expect him to be, the DL will indeed be one of the strongest position groups on the team again (which is saying something on a roster as talented as this one).

Second-year player Frank Clark showed great versatility last season, as he flashed the potential that convinced the coaching staff and front office that it was worth facing the scrutiny and grilling from the media to pick a player with his talents and red flags. He will be expected to take a step forward and become a force with his versatility. DT Ahtyba Rubin returns as the big man in the middle for the defense. Additionally, rookies/projects such as Ryan Robinson are apparently showing some promise in camp - so although this position group will get younger this season, it may even get more talented.

On the ends, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett return. Avril is a consistent threat in pass rush, and Bennett is widely considered one of the top DL in the game and one of the team leaders. Unhappy with his contract, Bennett still decided to show up to camp (perhaps influenced by the unsuccessful holdout of SS Kam Chancellor last season) and prove that he deserves a large payday after this season.

LB: The questions about scheme continue here, as the Hawks lost SLB Bruce Irvin to free agency. However, the embarrassment of riches in the secondary as well as the tendency to throw ball in the modern NFL (as well as potential drop-off from Irvin to the next man up) may result in the Hawks playing nickel in many more situations this season. If that is indeed the case, MLB Bobby Wagner will be leaned on, and he will not lack for motivation after being left off the NFL Top 100 list a season after being awarded All-Pro status.

WLB KJ Wright continues to be incredibly productive and underrated, and potentially being one of only two LBs on the field could allow him to move into the spotlight he deserves.

Should the Hawks decide to roll out a third LB, Mike Morgan would likely be the guy. Having played for Pete Carroll at USC as well as being with the Seahawks as a key special teams player, he knows the defensive system like the back of his hand, and may finally get the opportunity to earn a starting spot.

DB: This may be the deepest the famed Legion of Boom has ever been. They return stars at three of the four spots in Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor (in football shape already instead of holding out until week 3 like last season), and Earl Thomas. The battle for the CB spot opposite Sherman may be the most intriguing in training camp. Jeremy Lane, Deshawn Shead, and Tharold Simon will likely all see significant playing time, so it may not matter who wins the starting job in the end. Lane is considered a natural at the nickel spot, so if the Hawks do indeed decide to run 5 DBs in their base defense, he would likely be the one at that spot. Shead is Mr. Versatility, having played both safety and CB for the Hawks and played well. Finally, Simon is everything the Hawks look for in a CB, with his physical gifts and physicality - his problem is staying healthy. He's finally healthy this season, and if he can maintain that, may be in for a breakout season.

Finally, founding member of the LOB Brandon Browner is back. The coaching staff has said he'll be playing a third safety/nickel back sort of spot this season, where his physicality will be on display in the middle of the field and in the run game.

Special Teams:

Hauschka good, Ryan good, Lockett good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom