• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Drug laws are dumb, but Mathieu has a potential NFL future only for some reason prefers pot to millions of dollars. LSU was trying to cultivate some feel good story about him overcoming his demons and putting him back on the team. There's no way that can happen now

Eh, there are several months between now and the beginning of next year. If this happened in May, it would be different.

I'm not exactly missing hearing Brent Musburger saying "Honey Badger" every 5 minutes this season though.

Godslay

Banned
Sounds like Tracy Porter is fighting seizures in Denver. It's the reason why he didn't travel with the team to SD. It's interesting that this popped up again, happened back in August too apparently. I wonder if this has something to do with the Saints not pursuing him strongly or attempting to resign him earlier?

Hopefully he is able to get healthy.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Don't know if I'd count Bradford just yet. Not saying it was a good deal, but his contract was what it was before the rookie pay scale was in place. The cost of signing a #1 pick, etc.

Stafford got his in much the same fasnion for two years of being injured, one quality year and now this seasons output (anemic) so you might as well lob him in there if that's the criteria...

I'm not saying Stafford is great but he's vastly superior to Bradford. Well, maybe not *vastly* since Bradford doesn't have anywhere near the talent of a Megatron to throw to.

You'd probably have to get an opinion on Stafford vs. Bradford from a Rams fan since the only time I've seen Bradford play he's a huge checkdown charlie.

Nori Chan

TB @ MIN

MIA @ NYJ
SD @ CLE
IND @ TEN
NE @ STL
JAC @ GB
ATL @ PHI
WAS @ PIT
SEA @ DET
CAR @ CHI

OAK @ KC
NYG @ DAL
NO @ DEN #YOLO PICK

SF @ ARI

also for absolutely no reason fuk yo vike bike clown

And Kave Man, I can't wait to see how disappointed you are this sunday

squicken

I'm not saying Stafford is great but he's vastly superior to Bradford. Well, maybe not *vastly* since Bradford doesn't have anywhere near the talent of a Megatron to throw to.

Stafford has a better arm and even at 350 lbs is more mobile. Bradford has no production at all to hang his hat on, where Stafford does. Not saying Stafford will end up better, but he is so far

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Stafford has a better arm and even at 350 lbs is more mobile. Bradford has no production at all to hang his hat on, where Stafford does. Not saying Stafford will end up better, but he is so far

Well there you go, someone who watches Rams games says Stafford is better.

Slo

A truck will get you there. No frills. Kinda Slow. Good for long trips down the field or picking up Taco Bell for the team.

A VIKEBIKE is dangerous, unpredictable, fast, will completely wipeout when it hits a slick patch. With that said you will be hard pressed to look any cooler while also being a hair away from a fiery death at any moment.

This is.....surprisingly accurate. It's a fun ride, but you know it's bound to end in a firey crash.

squicken

Well there you go, someone who watches Rams games says Stafford is better.

I think that FV's argument was that Stafford's contract is awful relative to his production, just like Bradford. Just b/c he has been better doesn't mean he has earned his money

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think that FV's argument was that Stafford's contract is awful relative to his production, just like Bradford. Just b/c he has been better doesn't mean he has earned his money

Which is true but it doesn't seem as egregious as Bradford. Probably because Stafford has given the image of hope to Detroit whereas Bradford has seemed like a consistent letdown.

And yeah, there's a cost to drafting first but that doesn't make Jawalrus any less of a waste of cash.

So Stafford isn't worth his contract but I wouldn't put him in the category of "worst contracts".

squicken

Which is true but it doesn't seem as egregious as Bradford. Probably because Stafford has given the image of hope to Detroit whereas Bradford has seemed like a consistent letdown.

The contract stuff aside, Bradford hasn't really felt heat until this year. I mean some people have complained, but there's always a segment of any fanbase that hates the quarterback and/or coach. This game vs NE is kind of being billed as a referendum on his abilities, since NE's pass defense is so bad.

I also think that a little clarity is needed. He doesn't go out and have Gabbert or Cassel games. He's just been a middling QB. That's awful in the context of his draft position, but not relative to his peers. Go look at QB stats. It kind of gets muddled after 10 guys or so. You just watched the Rams play. Of the starting 11 on their offense, who would you want as a GB starter?

And yeah, there's a cost to drafting first but that doesn't make Jawalrus any less of a waste of cash.
Right. If we were making a list of top ten worst draft picks, I'd be on board with you but my underlying point was that at the time Bradford/Stafford/Jamarcus were signed we had been dealing with an escalating cost scale for first round picks that any team would have had to absorb had they picked #1 overall.

As opposed to now when it's relatively cheap to choose a #1. It's less debilitating from a cap standpoint.

Just got done watching that Debartolo Football Life.

Kinda wish these weren't so apologetic. Everyone is a paragon of the community or a saint who made a teeny tiny mistep.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Well he led an 0-16 team to the playoffs in less than 3 years. Stafford is a franchise quarterback who is worth every dollar.

Bradford as of right now is a middle of a the road, checkdown QB who shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Stafford. He could be good one day, but it's not looking like that right now.

Talon

Well he led an 0-16 team to the playoffs in less than 3 years. Stafford is a franchise quarterback who is worth every dollar.

Bradford as of right now is a middle of a the road, checkdown QB who shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Stafford. He could be good one day, but it's not looking like that right now.
Based on this season, I wouldn't trust Stafford with much.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
And Kave Man, I can't wait to see how disappointed you are this sunday

just-bring-it-o.gif

squicken

I'm bored waiting for the game to start so I'll do my Bradford defense force routine

The checkdown thing has always been silly. That was the offense year one. Run option/stick routes to Amendola in the middle. Both Donnie Avery and Mark Clayton had their knees explode before Week 2. I don't think any of the offensive lineman from that team are in the league anymore. Actually, the only guys from that offense that are still in the league are Bradford, Jackson, Gibson, and Amendola. They couldn't protect and the deep threats were gone. Pat Shurmur was the OC that year, and the plan was to survive.

The only two offensive lineman from 2011 that are in the league are Saffold and Smith, who both missed 8 games each last year. Smith is a backup at NY, and Saffold is hurt again. When guys leave STL, they leave the league.

i2erTqEeDcjkV.jpg

Just really took this stat in yesterday. Wonder what team is even second closest. Phenomenal job by TT.

Continuing my pumpkin beer tour, I present you with the River Horse Imperial Pumpkin Beer

50vO6l.jpg

For the guy who thought the Blue Moon was too flavory, this one is much more subtle. Going to be a perfect pairing for watching the Vike Bike continue its ride of dominance tonight.

Wes

venison crêpe
Does anyone want some Rams merchandise from the Wembley game? Last time I went I got a free 49ers flag which I burnt but if I get another one this time I could send it stateside.

squicken

Does anyone want some Rams merchandise from the Wembley game? Last time I went I got a free 49ers flag which I burnt but if I get another one this time I could send it stateside.

Thanks for the offer but I can't imagine there's anything unique over there that would justify the cost of shipping it. I heard that the Rams owner got yelled at by the fans of his soccer team at a shareholder meeting. They need that in the US. One day a year where the fans get to criticize the owner to his face for his failures

squicken

Interim coach Bruce Arians said it's all part of the grand design: "If you go back and look at my history, I throw it deep more than anybody in the league. We do spread people out and throw it quickly; we think we have everything, but we also use our tight ends and backs to help the offensive line. We want to throw it to the guys who are paid to catch it, and hand it off to the guys who are paid to run it. We're not a West Coast offense by any means."

No shit, Bruce

Interim coach Bruce Arians said it's all part of the grand design: "If you go back and look at my history, I throw it deep more than anybody in the league. We do spread people out and throw it quickly; we think we have everything, but we also use our tight ends and backs to help the offensive line. We want to throw it to the guys who are paid to catch it, and hand it off to the guys who are paid to run it. We're not a West Coast offense by any means."

No shit, Bruce
That's the Arians offense. Tight Ends block first, run on first down, no fullback, deep shots.

Tip - never draft a Tight End from an Arians offense to your fantasy team.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Apple had a disappointing quarter? But during that conference, they couldn't stop sucking their own penii over their awesome sales!

Wes

venison crêpe
Thanks for the offer but I can't imagine there's anything unique over there that would justify the cost of shipping it. I heard that the Rams owner got yelled at by the fans of his soccer team at a shareholder meeting. They need that in the US. One day a year where the fans get to criticize the owner to his face for his failures

Yeah the AGM. It's always amusing (if you're not a fan of the club). I agree it's a good thing though as it gives fans more of a voice.

Rorschach

These sloppy Thursday games are worth it for the intro. It's one of those great songs that sounds like you've heard it all your life because it's that good.

squicken

That's the Arians offense. Tight Ends block first, run on first down, no fullback, deep shots.

It's always seemed strange to me, in an age of exotic blitzes, to not have a functional screen game to the backs. I know PIT did well with the screens to the WRs, but he doesn't have those kinds of guys there. With coaches or players, sometimes you succeed b/c of them, sometimes in spite of them, and sometimes neither. I'm not sure where Arians goes

Top Bottom