• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

Mrbob

My vanishing myth is about as relevant as Cutler not playing hurt. Get some new material!

The Saints lost to the Packers by one point. SO what? A loss is a loss. Bears, Texans, Saints lost to Packers. Packers lost to 49ers.
All frauds.
Everyone's a fraud.

This is true every team sucks this season. Just the AFC teams suck more.

Hammer24

Banned
All of you assholes riding the VIKEBIKE, the BUCTRUCK is going to drive through your bike lane and wipe you off the road! Fucking hippies, get off the road and stop holding up traffic! THERES A SIDEWALK!

+1 GO BUCTRUCK!

51aRnztgq9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now THATS unfounded optimism right there

ari

Banned
Bears beat up on shit teams as much as the rest of the elite. Suck my fucking dick cunts. Falcons,Niners, texans, ravens and the giants had the luxury to pad their schedules with lesser caliber teams.

Packer fans need to shut the fuck up because they have the same exact schedule we have with the exception of two games.

Still think we can beat the texans and give the niners some go. If we win those two pivotal games, its over in the north, even if the packers sweep us and the Vikings steal one.

KaYotiX

Banned
Bears beat up on shit teams as much as the rest of the elite. Suck my fucking dick cunts. Falcons,Niners, texans, ravens and the giants had the luxury to pad their schedules with lesser caliber teams.

Packer fans need to shut the fuck up because they have the same exact schedule we have with the exception of two games.

Still think we can beat the texans and give the niners some go. If we win those two pivotal games, its over in the north, even if the packers sweep us and the Vikings steal one.

Bears beat the Texans? Lol that's a good one.

squicken

Brian Schottenhiemer will destroy the patriots.

There have been 3 times this year where the Rams have absolutely had to have a first down. An obvious key moment, not something that only had relevance in hindsight. Each time they ran inside quick pass routes, and each time it didn't work.

Starting to get a little annoyed with him. In this small instance, it's not on Bradford. The WRs just aren't big/quick enough to shield defenders on those throws or get off the line clean. He's got to figure out something different

NE @ STL- Rams D likes to play like Seahawks D and mug WRs so this might throw Tommy off rhythm, Pats D keeps garbo teams in games, and NFC is generally better than the AFC this year. So I smell upset.

STL plays lots of zone and rarely presses. Their thuggery is post-play. Which is dumb. The league seems to have decided it isn't going to call defensive holding and illegal contact. So it is bad coaching not to press and grab and clutch.

cajunator

Banned
There's a picture of Carl Nicks in the Tampa Tribune looking really forlorn after the Bucs game. Can still see the Fleur on his arm and everything.

squicken

NYT with a breakdown on RG3 vs Luck numbers

After seven weeks, Robert Griffin III of the Redskins has exceeded even the most optimistic expectations. He leads the N.F.L. with a 70.4 completion percentage, and could become the first rookie to lead the league in that category since Parker Hall with the Rams in 1939.

Griffin also ranks first in yards per attempt with an 8.5 average, and could become the first rookie since another Ram, Bob Waterfield in 1945, to lead the N.F.L. in that statistic. Only two rookies in professional football history have ever led the league in both completion percentage and yards per attempt. The first was another Redskin, Sammy Baugh, in 1937; the last was Greg Cook, in the American Football League in 1969 (his career was ruined by a shoulder injury that year).

Griffin’s statistical domination of the record book has been astounding. And that’s before we get to the fact that he has 468 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns in seven games, putting Cam Newton’s rookie rushing records in both categories (706 and 14) in jeopardy.

Griffin will always be compared to the man selected one spot before him in the 2012 draft, Andrew Luck. And on the surface, there’s no comparison. Luck ranks 32nd in completion percentage (53.6) and 25th in yards per attempt (6.7). Whereas Griffin ranks third in traditional passer rating (101.8) behind Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, Luck is tied with Brandon Weeden (72.3) and ahead of only Matt Cassel for last place.

It’s a gross generalization, but Luck plays in a vertical offense while Griffin plays in a horizontal one. Griffin ranks first in completion percentage while Luck ranks 32nd, but that has as much to do with the throws they’re asked to make as each quarterback’s accuracy. Luck‘s average pass attempt has traveled 10.2 yards past the line of scrimmage, the longest average pass distance in the league (this was before “Monday Night Football”; Jay Cutler was second at 9.9 entering the game). Griffin averages 7.9 yards downfield per pass attempt, slightly below the league average of 8.2.

And Luck’s long average pass distance isn’t simply a product of throwing lots of incomplete passes down the field. His average pass distance on completions is 8.6 yards past the line of scrimmage, also highest in the N.F.L. (Cutler was fourth at 8.3 entering Monday night). Griffin’s completions come an average of 5.8 yards from the line of scrimmage, well below the league average of 6.6.

Both Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III have been excellent this year, but only Griffin looks great when examining traditional metrics. The above analysis isn’t intended to denigrate Griffin; if anything, it should raise questions about why the coaches in Indianapolis are making things so difficult for Luck. He has being asked to throw more deep passes and has made fewer checkdowns than just about any quarterback in the league, despite an extremely inexperienced set of targets after Reggie Wayne. He has also being asked to throw the ball frequently — he ranks third in pass attempts per game, the cost of doing business when paired with a below-average defense and an anemic running game. As a result, his completion percentage and yards per attempt averages are underwhelming, but it’s tough to say how well Griffin would do if the players switched teams. Griffin may have the highlight reel runs and the showy statistics, but Luck has arguably been even more impressive under considerably more challenging circumstances.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...-comparison/?smid=tw-nytimes5thdown&seid=auto

squicken

Also, for those who hate QBR, a good tear apart

http://theclassical.org/articles/what-happened-to-footballs-next-great-stat

ESPN's QBR passer rating was supposed to be the rating that quantified the most complicated position in sports. Instead, it more or less disappeared.

But QBR does several unique things Football Outsiders and Advanced NFL Stats don’t do in their ratings: it combines passing and rushing values, doesn’t adjust for the strength of the opponent, and incorporates ESPN’s game-charting data to assign responsibility to the quarterback depending on each play's outcome. The game-charting is a labor-intensive task that only ESPN could do, Schatz says, and it allows QBR to account for dropped passes, value sacks differently based on the situation, add new wrinkles to air yards, or count scrambles and planned rushes differently, among other things.

Without a doubt, the most controversial aspect of QBR—and the one that would surely please ESPN's bellowing knights of the oblong table—is the Clutch Index, which weights every play according to the situation's import. In football as in baseball, mentioning the word "clutch" is the advanced stats equivalent of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater; people get panicky, incredulous and angry at once, start shouting, and ultimately try and run away as fast as possible. Stuff gets trampled. It's not a good look.

It's also not necessarily a defensible concept. If Quarterback A plays in a blowout, and Quarterback B puts up identical stats as Quarterback A but does so in a close victory that features a fourth quarter comeback, Quarterback B will have the better QBR. (Schatz has written that offensive performance in the first quarter correlates better with winning than performance in any other quarter.)

After ESPN's early season QBR-propaganda blitz in 2011, it gradually stopped being talked about on TV. Jaws and Gruden mentioned it less and less on the Monday Night Football broadcast; by my unscientific count, it hasn’t been mentioned once this season. QBR stopped being featured on Monday Night Countdown, and its appearances on SportsCenter tapered off. It is prominent on ESPN.com’s sub-blogs and displayed on Football Outsiders side-by-side with their own stats, but seldom discussed out loud. On Monday Night Football broadcasts, ESPN uses the old passer rating. Nobody is shouting about QBR anymore.

lots more at the link

Jags suck.

Us jags fans like to torture ourselves. Now we'll blow even more with MJD out and Henne possibly in if Gabbert doesn't go. And I know Gabbert isn't the best choice but he is a young kid at 22. He has improved from last year with all the pocket presence issues. I think he might be alright if he can reset that internal clock. Del rio did him wrong by throwing him into the fire. He wasn't ready then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fuck Stafford's fat ass, he killed my fantasy team last night :(

Guess it's time to get on board the BUCTRUCK. May Fatman save my middling team this week.

TB @ MIN

MIA @ NYJ
SD @ CLE
IND @ TEN
NE @ STL
JAC @ GB
ATL @ PHI
WAS @ PIT
SEA @ DET
CAR @ CHI

OAK @ KC
NYG @ DAL
NO @ DEN

SF @ ARI

beast786

I like that Bob pretends the Packers weren't also on a short week in week 2.

Well he also pretend that bears are good. 6 point win at home against lions D with off the street nickel and safety while the other starting Cb was a no name rookie replacement . still only 13 points after the D hand wrapped excellent field position.

Well he also pretend that bears are good. 6 point win at home against lions D with off the street nickel and safety while the other starting Cb was a no name rookie replacement . still only 13 points after the D hand wrapped excellent field position.
NFL teams tend to be fairly close in terms of skill. If a team can consistently beat other teams, even if those other teams are bad relative to the average NFL team, it's generally a sign that they are pretty good. They may not be SB material but the Bears so far have looked like a solid team.

eznark

Banned
NFL teams tend to be fairly close in terms of skill. If a team can consistently beat other teams, even if those other teams are bad relative to the average NFL team, it's generally a sign that they are pretty good. They may not be SB material but the Bears so far have looked like a solid team.

Worked for the 2010 Buccaneers.

How bad are the lions if they can't beat a team who can only put up 13 points?

beast786

How bad are the lions if they can't beat a team who can only put up 13 points?

lions played horrible on offense, actually better than last year on road.

It was a division game on the road. Bears were suppose to win at home. Lets see what happens in Detroit .

Touchdown

Banned
long time eagles fan here, haven't really posted much in this thread, and excuse my rant but from what I always observed, I thought Reid was pretty much "coach-for-life" with Lurie. But with Lurie getting divorced and Joe Banner going to Cleveland, and then finally Lurie "going public" that Reid has to do better -- I'm really wondering what's going on in Eagle-ville?

8-8 means Reid is fired? Lurie starts to pander to WIP chatter? With no Banner, what does Lurie do? What's his involvement level? When Jerry Jones presumed to know enough to be involved in Football decisions, he went from 3 SB wins, to 1 playoff appearance in over 15 years.

The NFL has changed a lot. A lot of rule changes even since 10 years ago.

Can a team win a SB without an Elite Qb anymore? Not that many did before either -- but the Phil Simms, Brad Johnsons managed, and the occasional Trent Dilfer.

If Nick Foles ceiling is Joe Flacco is that good enough? If his ceiling is Ben Rothlisberger, that would be.

The thing about McCoy, Desean and Maclin is that they are still young. As is Bryce Brown, who looks to have NFL pedigree. That's 2 WR and 2 RB that could be around for a while. On D, Cox and Kendricks and DRC are still younger side of things.

Gruden and Cowher don't interest me, as I don't think former coaches who already won a ring, can leave the NFl, come back and do it again. Dick Vermeil remember, was A) an excpetion and super unusual situation B) hadn't actually won it before ...

On some forum I saw the mention of Chip Kelly and spread offense... said Bellichick is using it and is ahead of the curve.

I don't know...

But I'm very curious about Lurie now. The thing he did early on, was to separate himself from the Norman Braman era, he consulted the Bill Walsh's and took a shot at Ray Rhodes and then went through benching RC, and picking up Waters, Troy, Steve Everitt, Irv Fryar -- he tasted playoffs and then it fell apart and then with some experience got Reid and Donovan and we know the rest ...

But that was 15 years ago -- and now Banner is gone....

What can we expect? If Andy does anything less than 10-6 and playoffs, doesn't Lurie have to keep his word to save face with the fans and media? And if Reid is out, who is the master-mind on personnel? Do Washburn, Mudd and Bowles all go out the door too? Does Bowles elevate as the young up-n-comer and get a new O Coord to work with young Foles?

I'm really curious where the franchise is going...

It's 8 years now since 2004. No one left from those 12 win teams ... No Tra/Runyan, no Chad Lewis, No Troy/Bobby, no Lito/Sheldon/Lewis, no Trotter/Emmons/Hugh ... no Donovan....

This bunch's longest tenured player is Mike Patterson. Yes. Cole Celek Peters Nnamdi, Demeco are all vets.

And frankly this bunch hasn't done much. We've tasted one 11 win season since 04 and were one n done in playoffs.

I'm really curious as to the future, and if our only hope is if Foles becomes a Ben Rothlisberger caliber Qb?

eznark

Banned
Shut your mouth. Lions are contender to reach 500. We might even put a banner up for that.

Probably, they might even make the playoffs. The tough part of their schedule is pretty much over. I kind of hope they do, the best thing for the NFCN is if they don't make any off-season changes. Schwartz is one of the worst coaches in football. Sign him for life!

Striker

Hopefully the Giants defense can finally have a standout game versus Romo this week. Week 1 had Tryon and Coe get heavy time, and this time Hosley is getting more time and has had more experience, and Amukamara is back. One of Fewell's worst games.

Ultratech

Heh, funny OP. Now we need to fill it in!

Picks:
TB @ MIN - Something, something, VIKEBIKE

MIA @ NYJ - Can you believe Miami's actually ahead of the Jets right now? Won't be for long.
SD @ CLE
IND @ TEN
NE @ STL - Could be interesting to watch after last week's mess vs. the Jets. Will the Pats pull a Lebron and fail to show up for the 4th Quarter again? (Only to possibly come back in the last minute? Maybe.)
JAC @ GB - Jags aren't winning this. Ain't no way.
ATL @ PHI - The streak continues! But it's possible it could be a close game.
WAS @ PIT - RGIII!
SEA @ DET - I'd go Lions, but I'm not gonna lie to myself. SEA has a much better chance at winning.
CAR @ CHI - *insert joke about every Bears aggroing*

OAK @ KC - LOL Chiefs
NYG @ DAL - I wouldn't bet on this game. Dallas beat NYG earlier in the season, but to pull it off again would be something else. Could go either way depending on who shows up to play.
NO @ DEN - Manning's gonna wreck NO.

SF @ ARI

Bowser

Democrat?

That doesn't matter this week - it's next week's game against Carolina.

TB @ MIN

MIA @ NYJ
SD @ CLE
IND @ TEN
NE @ STL
JAC @ GB
ATL @ PHI
WAS @ PIT
SEA @ DET
CAR @ CHI - DO IT FOR MARTY

OAK @ KC
NYG @ DAL
NO @ DEN

SF @ ARI

If the Jets beat the Dolphins again this Sunday the Fins don't deserve to make the playoffs, simple as that. It will probably be the trigger that puts me into "bitter Dolphins fan mode" for the rest of the season, regardless of how well they do.

Smokey

If your team does not make the playoffs, Reid will and should be gone. There's way too much talent on that team. A different voice could be good.

The Eagles are not in a bad situation right now. The nfc east is jumbled. I think coming out of the bye they will be fine. Your coach just needs to stop trying to think so hard and just give mcoy the ball more often and a lot of the issues would go away.

cajunator

Banned
I don't believe in curses. But fuck being on the Madden cover. Shit is tainted. That dude is dropping balls that he had both hands on out there... HoFinley style.

It reminds me of when Brees had a crazy interception total the year he was on the cover and later it was discovered he was playing on a torn MCL the whole year and couldnt step into all his throws. That fucking cover is disaster.

n/m it was a torn MCL. thats even worse.

Nemesis121 said:
Our defense will make Romo look like Brady, Montana, and Elway combine, this game will be a shoot out...
I'd be more concerned for the run defense than anything else as Dallas will try to get that going early knowing it's a weakness with cutback runs from Felix Jones or Murray if he makes it back.

The defensive line is in a better state from the pass rush side of things and the offense is a different animal than it was in that first game where Victor Cruz decided to have the dropsies all night long, David Diehl was at RT playing a turnstile for Demarcus Ware and our running game wasn't as much of a threat.

It's always a close game in the division but I like us on the road, in that building with another division game on the line in October.

effzee

long time eagles fan here, haven't really posted much in this thread, and excuse my rant but from what I always observed, I thought Reid was pretty much "coach-for-life" with Lurie. But with Lurie getting divorced and Joe Banner going to Cleveland, and then finally Lurie "going public" that Reid has to do better -- I'm really wondering what's going on in Eagle-ville?

Lurie got divorced? Didn't know that.

Frankly I was happy with Banner leaving. Things had to change and tons of ex players went public with how much they disliked Banner and how he handled negotiations. Yes Banner kept the team equipped with great salary cap situations, but that doesn't translate to championships. Its great for a team on the rise that needs to build not only on the field but in the FO, but after a while collecting salary cap championship trophies didn't matter.

And teams in far worse shape have been able to rebound from salary cap hell.

As for what is really going on in Eagles land? Well it is Reid's 14 season. And as you correctly pointed out its been 8 years since this team was a legit contender. Eight years since they were one of the top seeds and a force on both offense and D. Since then they have made the playoffs here and there but always by a lot of luck and other teams collapsing. Barely hanging out and hoping they get on a hot streak to win it all. Not a recipe for success IMO.

In fact I would say Lurie waited 5 years too long to throw out the ultimatum for Reid. 14 seasons and all Reid has to do is do better than 8-8 to save his job. Lurie is too nice.

8-8 means Reid is fired? Lurie starts to pander to WIP chatter? With no Banner, what does Lurie do? What's his involvement level? When Jerry Jones presumed to know enough to be involved in Football decisions, he went from 3 SB wins, to 1 playoff appearance in over 15 years.

Pander to WIP chatter? Dude its been 14 seasons and the team has become worse now than it ever was in the early years for Reid.

I agree with you on a lot of the other stuff. Who knows what happens once Reid is fired. Or if he is ever fired. I don't care if the coach they bring in some established SB winning coach or some new up and coming coach from college. Just as long as its someone who can get back to emphasizing the basics, taking advantage of the talent on the team, and doesn't try to run a system that doesn't fit the players. And we aren't tied to Foles for the long term. If he is the answer then great but if not, a new regime wouldn't hesitate to draft a guy to replace both Vick and Foles.

beast786

Probably, they might even make the playoffs. The tough part of their schedule is pretty much over. I kind of hope they do, the best thing for the NFCN is if they don't make any off-season changes. Schwartz is one of the worst coaches in football. Sign him for life!

Still have game against Atlanta,Houston and two against GB. If lions finish under 500, that would put some pressure on Schwartz .

I also believed losing best was a big blow. We lost him when 5-0. And since struggle. he was a perfect complement to keep the linebackers in check and a home run threat.

If the lions can't adjust to these two deep safety, bend but don't brake defense, then I will fault the coaching staff and make my judgement on SL and Schwartz.

Top Bottom