• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What's wrong with Ted and what makes this Eliot guy much better? I don't know much about either.

Well he's the son of Ron Wolf who basically brought the Packers back from two decades of obscurity. Ron Wolf brought Brett Favre and Reggie White to Green Bay just for starters.

I'm unfamiliar with how good his son is but I've heard positive things.

squicken

Well he's the son of Ron Wolf who basically brought the Packers back from two decades of obscurity. Ron Wolf brought Brett Favre and Reggie White to Green Bay just for starters.

no one really knows. Teams don't disclose their power structure or ever give credit or blame for draft picks. Just have to trust the owner to make a good choice

Dammit, Hokies QB Jerod Evans declared for the draft. Don't get it, he was on pace to be a first round pick with one more good season. Anyway, whoever picks him up could have a stud on their hands, dude is a better QB than Tyrod was at this stage and he has a lot of potential.

Miracle

So what's bad about Ted Thompson? Wasn't he still apart of the Packers for their last Super Bowl win too? And did he draft Aaron Rodgers as well or was someone else there during that time?

this_guy

I for one am very happy that ESPN will lose more money than what the Texans are paying Brock. I also cannot wait to see the Texans crush the Raiders 8-3!

Gobias

Banned
We don't need you anyways! Me, grovo, and DM will do this on our own!!!!!

They'll never leave my side that's for sure!

I find your comments on the Switch disturbing and DM kept calling me into his office to tell me he can "still go". I never stayed around to find out what he meant, but needless to say it made for an uncomfortable work environment.

Drakeon

Big news: #Packers exec Eliot Wolf will be interviewing with the #49ers this week, source said.

Via Rappaport twitter

Pretty big get. I believe a lot of teams were trying to get him as their GM

Pretty stoked that we're the only team with a GM vacancy atm. I'd love to land Wolf since Ballard is out of the picture.

squicken

Dishwalla

Banned
You guys ever see that South Park episode where the kids purposefully try and lose their baseball game, but the other team is also trying to lose the game? That's what the Texans-Raiders game is going to be like on Saturday. Neither one of these wants to end up in the bloodbath in Foxboro.

Bread

Banned
I find your comments on the Switch disturbing and DM kept calling me into his office to tell me he can "still go". I never stayed around to find out what he meant, but needless to say it made for an uncomfortable work environment.
When DM told me he could still go, I was reluctant to believe him. Then he showed me in person and I've never been the same.

squicken

That USC QB had a grandfather named Dick Hammer who was once The Marlboro Man

C1N9IeOVQAApAln.jpg

Bronx-Man

Banned
You guys ever see that South Park episode where the kids purposefully try and lose their baseball game, but the other team is also trying to lose the game? That's what the Texans-Raiders game is going to be like on Saturday. Neither one of these wants to end up in the bloodbath in Foxboro.
What if it ends in a tie?

bionic77

They really nailed the first 40 minutes of Superman Returns.

Its on Netflix.

Don't even both watching the rest of the movie.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/...-chip-kelly-trent-baalke-jed-york-what-a-mess

Jay Glazer: ‘For weeks [Chip Kelly]’s known that Trent Baalke has been trying to undermine him and get him out’

Trent is the biggest fucking sleaze ever. What a massive fucking douche for all the big talk he did about diong things the right way. Fuck him.

Baalke is a fucking loser but I still blame Jed. How do you consistently have the most draft picks every year for this entire decade but you have no depth?

Should have been fired long ago

squicken

Mixon is going to be an interesting case. Great talent but that video will keep him off draft boards. Some coach with lots of job security will get him in the late rounds

Miracle

Speaking of Jerry Rice, I was looking at his 1987 year and I'm wondering how the hell did Elway win MVP over him? Elway threw for 19 Tds with 12 INTs (which would be considered a decent rookie year for a 1st year QB in today's NFL), while Rice caught for 22 TDs...in 12 games. And team record wise the 49ers were better than the Broncos.

Doesn't make any sense.

So what's bad about Ted Thompson? Wasn't he still apart of the Packers for their last Super Bowl win too? And did he draft Aaron Rodgers as well or was someone else there during that time?
The implication (I think) is that Wolf is the heir apparent to the GM job, and that kicking Thompson to the curb to put the younger guy in charge is a good idea for the same reason that kicking out Favre and going with Rodgers was.

The problem with that idea is that GM jobs don't work that way. If/when Thompson retires (we theorize he is a robot, so it may never happen) it'll be on his own terms.

Speaking of Jerry Rice, I was looking at his 1987 year and I'm wondering how the hell did Elway win MVP over him? Elway threw for 19 Tds with 12 INTs (which would be considered a decent rookie year for a 1st year QB in today's NFL), while Rice caught for 22 TDs...in 12 games. And team record wise the 49ers were better than the Broncos.

Doesn't make any sense.
It's been a QB/RB award for a long time.

Doesn't make any sense.

Elway was the loveable loser of the nfl and Jerry was the bad boy with all the moves. Suck a dick elway, 55-10 you stupid ass biiiiiiitch!

God I wish the internet existed during the niners dynasty

squicken

Elway was the loveable loser of the nfl and Jerry was the bad boy with all the moves. Suck a dick elway, 55-10 you stupid ass biiiiiiitch!

He was the last guy to call his own plays. It was a big deal when Shanny took over and he had to give that up

Eleuin

Baalke is a fucking loser but I still blame Jed. How do you consistently have the most draft picks every year for this entire decade but you have no depth?

Should have been fired long ago

Did Baalke stop drafting talented but injured players that they'd essentially redshirt for their rookie year?

I remember they made a big deal out of that with lattimore (didn't work unfortunately) but haven't heard much since

He was the last guy to call his own plays. It was a big deal when Shanny took over and he had to give that up

22 receiving TDs is unheard of even in today's NFL across 16 games. What jerry did in 12 is insane.

Did Baalke stop drafting talented but injured players that they'd essentially redshirt for their rookie year?

I remember they made a big deal out of that with lattimore (didn't work unfortunately) but haven't heard much since

That's all he does. Take injured players and they never work out.

Drakeon

Nope, in fact, if anything, he did more of it. He fucking loved taking guys who had torn ACL's man, like catnip to him. See: Smelter, DeAndre, a WR who could hardly get on the field and has yet to prove anything.

squicken

22 receiving TDs is unheard of even in today's NFL across 16 games. What jerry did in 12 is insane.t.

Do you have the vote tally? Maybe he split the vote with his QB?

Nope, in fact, if anything, he did more of it. He fucking loved taking guys who had torn ACL's man, like catnip to him. See: Smelter, DeAndre, a WR who could hardly get on the field and has yet to prove anything.

Was he ever good or was it all McCloughan?

bionic77

When I was a kid I thought it was insane that Montana was not considered the best qb in the game. It seemed like everyone was obsessed over Marino and Elway more than anyone else. People only seemed to appreciate Joe after he won a SB. To be fair I dont remember Joe doing shit in the qb challenges...

The Steelers were not great in the 80s and the league was totally dominated by a handful of NFC teams so I saw a ton of those teams and players along with everyone else. Rice was just amazing. Fuck the stats. He was a perfect receiver. Could do everything. And somehow he did it forever until Warren killed him. You can't say that about a lot of players.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When I was a kid I thought it was insane that Montana was not considered the best qb in the game. It seemed like everyone was obsessed over Marino and Elway more than anyone else. People only seemed to appreciate Joe after he won a SB. To be fair I dont remember Joe doing shit in the qb challenges...

The Steelers were not great in the 80s and the league was totally dominated by a handful of NFC teams so I saw a ton of those teams and players along with everyone else. Rice was just amazing. Fuck the stats. He was a perfect receiver. Could do everything. And somehow he did it forever until Warren killed him. You can't say that about a lot of players.

His longevity is what puts him over Moss for me. Moss at his peak was probably a little bit better but Rice did it forever.

The implication (I think) is that Wolf is the heir apparent to the GM job, and that kicking Thompson to the curb to put the younger guy in charge is a good idea for the same reason that kicking out Favre and going with Rodgers was.

The problem with that idea is that GM jobs don't work that way. If/when Thompson retires (we theorize he is a robot, so it may never happen) it'll be on his own terms.

Wait, Pack fans want THOMPSON gone now?

8ruvK0M2S2yic.gif

JABEE

It's been a QB/RB award for a long time.

There's a difference between a middle-aged dude playing football versus a middle-aged dude running a football team. It's not like Ted Thompson is an old man either. He's 63.

bionic77

His longevity is what puts him over Moss for me. Moss at his peak was probably a little bit better but Rice did it forever.
Moss was more athletic. Everything else I give to Jerry.

Rice could beat you over the top, over the middle, slant you to death or on the sidelines. Hell he could even run the ball on the reverse pretty well as I recall.

Moss was just a freak. I would not say he was a complete receiver like Rice was.

Jan 3 at the time of my posting

12 days until the Chargers' deadline is reached to make a decision on LA. If they fail to, Raiders get the opportunity

Because it's Spanos, I fully expect it to come via some tweet or website announcement at 11:59 PM Jan 14.

Top Bottom