• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 12 |OT| aka NHL 09.3

BFIB

Sweet! I'm going PS3 version this year, as a buddy of mine wants to play an online league.

Still need to download the demo, soundtrack looks great!

I Love the Demo, even though I haven't a clue as to what strategy to use. I'm a hockey Novice to the nth the degree. I want to buy, just off the shear fun I had with the game. Is their any place i.e. website I can go to learn some basic hockey concepts for off. def. and when to change lines?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I absolutely love the thread title. Although, I'd go for NHL 10.2 as I felt 10 was a big step above 9.

Frillen

Going to be the first NHL game I haven't bought since NHL 06. Played the demo and already felt the fatigue. So going to skip this year and come back stronger next year (hopefully EA has a new gameplay engine by then, because the current engine is starting to wear thin).

JWong

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
y0Rem.jpg
23cFh.gif

Wut? A Be-A-Girl feature?

Gonna get this game now.
35jilu9.png

Marvie_3

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
No pc version again?
Nope.

Frillen said:
Going to be the first NHL game I haven't bought since NHL 06. Played the demo and already felt the fatigue. So going to skip this year and come back stronger next year (hopefully EA has a new gameplay engine by then, because the current engine is starting to wear thin).
There won't be a new engine until next-gen at the earliest, but even that is sketchy. The current "engine" is a heavily modified version of a last gen engine.

Can't wait to take Jonathan Toews and the Hawks back on another cup run.

Plus, GM Mode lets me fix most of the dumb-ass decisions Stan Bowman has been making since he took over.

I love this franchise and how much the people at EA Vancouver clearly love hockey.

EDIT: Couldn't care less about the legends though. I understand the appeal, but I feel like the NHL is currently home to the best crop of young, amazing stars in a looooong time. The legends had their time, now it's the time for Crosby, Ovechkin, the Stahl brothers, Toews, Kane, Keith, Stamkos and all the other young studs to battle it out.

Quick

Banned
Nice OT. Good job, Marvie.

Day 1 for me. And hopefully the Future Shop nearby has enough of the Steelbook editions in stock.

grOfF.jpg

Quick said:
Nice OT. Good job, Marvie.

Day 1 for me. And hopefully the Future Shop nearby has enough of the Steelbook editions in stock.

grOfF.jpg

:O

Sexy. Where were those editions for the Toews and Kane covers? :p

Giard

I dunno if I'm gonna buy this one...every time I try to play in the EASHL it bugs and/or I lose interest because of the glitch goals, and I find myself only playing local multiplayer at a friend's house (who always buys the game).

Filth

Epic thread title. Spot on. I'm a hockey buff so I'll be picking this up 100%. Loving the engine tweaks but it's about time for A new engine. Can't wait to plant you guys over the boards :x

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Giard said:
I've only checked the team ratings...but they make no sense to me. Habs have one of the best offense? Sabres the second best team overall? I dunno.
yea, it really doesnt make sense at all. ducks are 78 offense with the richard winner?

Marvie_3 said:
Well if I lived in Chicago, I'd have a one-of-a-kind rubbed on Toews' crotch edition! :D

Haha, I don't live in Chicago. I live in Vancouver. I just happened to be at University in Chicago when I discovered my long dormant love of hockey (2002... so Chicago was still terrible when I started rooting for them). But I bounce back and forth a lot, so I went to the fan expo and got Toews to sign my copy.

He was pretty jazzed, he loves the fact that he's on a videogame, even a year or so after the fact.

Giard said:
I've only checked the team ratings...but they make no sense to me. Habs have one of the best offense? Sabres the second best team overall? I dunno.

I'm willing to give their sim the benefit of the doubt given how accurate their playoff predictions were last year. I should have taken those picks to Vegas, I would have made a ton, even though the eventual Stanley Cup winner was wrong (by a game).

Marvie_3

Banned
I mentioned it in the OP, but GAF does have an EASHL team and we're always recruiting. If anyone is interested, the thread is in the Community section on GAF.

JWong said:
I heard Vancouver is gonna get a Canucks cover for the midnight launch with Burrows.
I've never heard this anywhere. The only exclusive covers they've announced are the steelbook and the Kessel/Eberle covers.

Filth

Giard said:

Cant watch the video on my iPhone for some reason. Any chance the video shows the rangers rating? Also rating are prob going to change after the first roster update

GhaleonQ

I'm officially changing my username back to theq66 and stomping ALL COMERS with Lemieux.

By that, I mean, "play too sparingly to get really good, lose consistently, and whine that I was really good at '93, '94, and '11NOSERIOUSLY."

Giard

Philooch said:
Cant watch the video on my iPhone for some reason. Any chance the video shows the rangers rating? Also rating are prob going to change after the first roster update

OFF: 95
DEF: 89
GOA: 93

Extremely high offense and goalie, very high defense. Pretty overrated IMO.

RS4-

Trying to convince my buddy at EB to just give me a copy early (tomorrow) lol.

I do want the steelbook though.

Marvie_3

Banned
Manual slashing(LT+Y) after the whistle is back in the game! Personally, I missed this a ton in NHL 11. In NHL 10, I loved going around after the whistle and hacking the shit out of people. :D

Filth

Giard said:
DEF: 89
GOA: 93

Extremely high offense and goalie, very high defense. Pretty overrated IMO.

Whhhatttttttt. I'm a ranger fan but that's crazy. I agree with the goaltending lunquist is beast. I'd say drop the offense two points and add it to the defense. It won't be that high past the roster update :/

Quick

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Operation Sports has a quick video showing how limited the female CAP options are.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/508077/nhl-12-female-be-a-pro/

Would have been nice to see them include a little more than that but at least there won't be any black female Hulk Hogans skating around.

Seems like EA's either testing out a female CAP for this game and implementing a more complete version for NHL 13, or they really just added it in last minute. I'm going with the latter.

JWong

Banned
Philooch said:
Whhhatttttttt. I'm a ranger fan but that's crazy. I agree with the goaltending lunquist is beast. I'd say drop the offense two points and add it to the defense. It won't be that high past the roster update :/
It's all based on individual player stats, so someone's stat is messed up.

Marvie_3

Banned
The Antitype said:
Sigh... Chicago's defense rating makes me miss Soupy even more.

Not the 7 mill cap hit. Just the player.
Same here. I think they're better defensively this year, but not having Campbell will hurt the transition game quite a bit.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Pens rating made me hard.

Sucks that I have to go to LA for the latter half of next week. Won't get to dive into this until the weekend. :(

Filth

Spire said:
Pens rating made me hard.

Sucks that I have to go to LA for the latter half of next week. Won't get to dive into this until the weekend. :(

I can't watch the video what's the rating ?!?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Philooch said:
I can't watch the video what's the rating ?!?

DEF: 93
GOA: 92

And WTF, Kovalev? How old are these rosters? We've known since May he wouldn't be playing for us.

Top Bottom