• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 12 |OT| aka NHL 09.3

Cactus

Banned
Leafs player ratings seem reasonable. I think Grabovski should be 2 or 3 points higher and Komisarek should be at least 4 points lower, though.

73 Goaltending is hilarious. Unless Reimer is under 80, Gustavsson must be rated really fucking low.

Look, EA.

WHY THE HELL CAN'T I HAVE THE BLACK AND RED SABRES JERSEYS???

You put so much effort into every other team, what the hell dudes?

Love,

A concerned Buffalo fan.

PS, Buffalo's rating is off the god damned chain....

Spire said:
OFF: 95
DEF: 93
GOA: 92

And WTF, Kovalev? How old are these rosters? We've known since May he wouldn't be playing for us.

WTF indeed to those ratings for the Pens, wow is that way high.

Our goaltending is a 79!!! Ok, sure thing EA, Howard and Conklin aren't the best but come on now, that is way low, I would have settled fine with a mid 80's or so.

On second note it looks like the goalie ratings are all lower this year for some reason.

OnPoint

Wow the Sabres rating is pretty damn good.

Go Buffalo!

Why do the Caps have a 95 at goal? Volkun is good but that good? I dunno about that...

Also the Leafs with a 92 offense. Haha why so high

OnPoint said:
Wow the Sabres rating is pretty damn good.

Go Buffalo!

Why do the Caps have a 95 at goal? Volkun is good but that good? I dunno about that...

Also the Leafs with a 92 offense. Haha why so high

The ratings seemed really screwed up this year for some reason. I was just taking a look at NHL 11 and most teams are rated in the mid to high 80's for all three categories. But this year they seemed to have rated all of the offense and defense very high, like high 80's low 90's. But the goal-tending is in the mid to high 70's, with a few teams in the mid to high 80's. I don't know, they really changed it up this year. :/

pringles

CrazedArabMan said:
WTF indeed to those ratings for the Pens, wow is that way high.

Our goaltending is a 79!!! Ok, sure thing EA, Howard and Conklin aren't the best but come on now, that is way low, I would have settled fine with a mid 80's or so.

On second note it looks like the goalie ratings are all lower this year for some reason.
I'm thinking Howard should be about 85 and Conklin 75-80 so it's somewhat low but not outrageously so.

In other news, my hype for this game is extremely low. Thread title is so correct. When I was playing the demo I struggled to find things that were new or different compared to 11.
I'll buy it for EASHL but probably not on launch day.

OnPoint

CrazedArabMan said:
The ratings seemed really screwed up this year for some reason. I was just taking a look at NHL 11 and most teams are rated in the mid to high 80's for all three categories. But this year they seemed to have rated all of the offense and defense very high, like high 80's low 90's. But the goal-tending is in the mid to high 70's, with a few teams in the mid to high 80's. I don't know, they really changed it up this year. :/

I'm a little perplexed by it as well. And was Van-city the highest in goaltending with a 97? Was that New Jersey with a 79? I mean, Marty is getting up there but he's better than a 79

bumpkin

pringles said:
I'm thinking Howard should be about 85 and Conklin 75-80 so it's somewhat low but not outrageously so.

In other news, my hype for this game is extremely low. Thread title is so correct. When I was playing the demo I struggled to find things that were new or different compared to 11.
I'll buy it for EASHL but probably not on launch day.
I'm in the same boat; I had the game preordered and paid-in-full and the demo (among other factors) led me to cancel it. The team's gusto - as evidenced by the blog and "unveil" videos show it - sadly doesn't seem like it translated into the game. It really feels incremental at best as far as improvements and a lot of 11's problems haven't gone away.

Spike

I was watching EP Daily last night, and there was a segment on NHL 12. EA Canada brought the game to a hockey skills competition and let the players try out the game. During the interview with the EA rep, he commented about how the players thought it was NHL 11 they were playing and were surprised when they were told it was NHL 12.

Oh, EA...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Square Triangle said:
These ratings make me want to buy it used.

Game Informer 8.75
However, some goals aren’t deserved. Refs blow calls regarding goaltender interference (leaving an open net), and defensemen are too lax in denying wraparounds or cuts toward the crease.

Again, every damn year, EA.

Spike said:
I was watching EP Daily last night, and there was a segment on NHL 12. EA Canada brought the game to a hockey skills competition and let the players try out the game. During the interview with the EA rep, he commented about how the players thought it was NHL 11 they were playing and were surprised when they were told it was NHL 12.

Oh, EA...

Well last year EA introduced this new physics system which is great and I think the biggest change they have made since introducing the refined skill stick (not including game modes). Now I'm afraid we are only going to keep getting small refinements every year on out until the next big thing from them comes about.

I think the Sabres defense (great off-season acquisitions) probably should be rated higher than our offense (still weak at center), but I can't complain.

It looks like maybe only Pittsburgh and Vancouver are rated definitively higher (though the 97 for Canuck goaltending is absolutely hilarious).

This would be a day one buy if it weren't for Gears coming out a week later. The same day as Chicago's first preseason game too :(

I guess I'll need to make room on the DVR.

I'm really conflicted about getting this. On one hand, I want the improved physics and netplay, along with the new rosters I suppose. Additionally, I can get the game for $40 thanks to an earlier Futureshop sale.

On the other hand, it seems like they've improved so, so little, and a lot of those improvements look really shoddy (ie the goalie getting bumped = stitched together save transition movements).

Really tough to justify :/

GBONZZZZ said:
No Winnipeg Jets edition cover art? :(

My God.....I would've paid $150 for that.....

As with some other Gaffers, I'll be getting the PS3 version as well. I cannot help but notice there are a few of us. Any chance anyone would be interested in getting a PS3 team going this year? I think it could sustain itself this time.

RS4-

Cactus said:
Leafs player ratings seem reasonable. I think Grabovski should be 2 or 3 points higher and Komisarek should be at least 4 points lower, though.

73 Goaltending is hilarious. Unless Reimer is under 80, Gustavsson must be rated really fucking low.

Reimer is 82 and Gustav is 81.

I wonder what they'll do with Belak as he's still in the game :(

Played a few games earlier, I'll upload a weird physics check later on. Or at least it looked weird to me.

Sleep Arrest said:
Look, EA.

WHY THE HELL CAN'T I HAVE THE BLACK AND RED SABRES JERSEYS???

You put so much effort into every other team, what the hell dudes?

Love,

A concerned Buffalo fan.

PS, Buffalo's rating is off the god damned chain....
You are a rare breed. That jersey was almost as hated as the buffaslug when it was first released.

bradigor

Oh come on. Tuner updates will fix some goalscoring issues.
Also, unless that 8.75 rating is out of 100, then really? It is basically 9/10.

Still looking forward to this personally.

I've been playing HUT and I cant get pass the fucking Bruins in the demo. Im guessing the NHL 94 controls arent helping me either.

I really enjoy the game but I suck at it so bad.

Oh man, Can't wait! Only 1 more week.
Now, to decide, what mode I should play first...

Anyone have any info on boosts? I haven't heard anything about it.

Marvie_3

Banned
GloomyHitsuji said:
Oh man, Can't wait! Only 1 more week.
Now, to decide, what mode I should play first...

Anyone have any info on boosts? I haven't heard anything about it.
Boosts are still the same. Requirements to unlock them may have changed a little though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
bradigor said:
Oh come on. Tuner updates will fix some goalscoring issues.
Also, unless that 8.75 rating is out of 100, then really? It is basically 9/10.

Still looking forward to this personally.

Key word here is "Some." Yet, for some reason, the glitch goals that exist take years to fix. I've still got it preordered for release date delivery but I can still complain about the glitch goals.

cackhyena

Every game since 09 I'm compelled to pick up. Every year the new demo comes out, I can't find the will after I've played it. Maybe next gen I'll get the enthusiasm back.

Pre-ordered with release date delivery from Amazon. Can't wait to start my Be A Pro Legend and hopefully find myself playing for the Red Wings at some point.

Something Wicked said:
Are you sure he'd be able to fit on the cover though?

Your attempted fat joke is lessened by the fact that the cover is in the OP and it has multiple other players on it along with Kessel.

Fixed1979

shagg_187 said:
I wish they realistically reset all stats.

If Luongo is 97, then Thomas better be 100.

Why, if it's based on regular season?

EDIT: I'm surprised that there's such a gap with Luongo in front but realistically their seasons were close enough to warrant the same or similar numbers in a video game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:
Key word here is "Some." Yet, for some reason, the glitch goals that exist take years to fix. I've still got it preordered for release date delivery but I can still complain about the glitch goals.
Putting in a proper puck/shooting physics engine would help a ton. It's way too easy to pick the top corners or get good shots off despite being in a terrible position. The lessened speed on deking will help and I like that shots seem to miss the net more in 12, but there's a long way to go. Goalie AI needs a huge overhaul as well.

Plinko

Marvie_3 said:
Putting in a proper puck/shooting physics engine would help a ton. It's way too easy to pick the top corners or get good shots off despite being in a terrible position. The lessened speed on deking will help and I like that shots seem to miss the net more in 12, but there's a long way to go. Goalie AI needs a huge overhaul as well.

I absolutely love the adjusted deking in the demo. That should help a ton.

Dragon

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
Why, if it's based on regular season?

EDIT: I'm surprised that there's such a gap with Luongo in front but realistically their seasons were close enough to warrant the same or similar numbers in a video game.

Thomas had the best regular season performance since Hasek was good. It was a historic season. Luongo should not be ranked ahead of him unless they're talking about going forward since Thomas is so old.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....venStrengthSavePctg&viewName=specialTeamSaves

Thomas had a .947 even strength save percentage. That is absolutely insane.

ksan

Top 25 again?
Let's see.

Was late with the pre-order because of the god awful goalie set included, but I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:
I absolutely love the adjusted deking in the demo. That should help a ton.
They need to get rid of a player's ability to stop/start/cut on a dime too. Can't stand the figure skaters

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
SuperSonic1305 said:
Your attempted fat joke is lessened by the fact that the cover is in the OP and it has multiple other players on it along with Kessel.
wow, they must've really thinned him out in photoshop

Top Bottom