• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 12 |OT| aka NHL 09.3

I had no idea people thought so highly of Howard. Everytime the Wings lose to the Hawks, my buddies in Detroit throw him under a bus... then hijack the bus, hit reverse and drive over him again to make sure he's dead.

theRizzle

Howard has put up similar numbers over the last two years as Quick and Kiprusoff. Now, he has a better team playing in front of him than either of those two guys, so take from that what you will.

Keio

For a Finer World
Played yesterday and today with the season pass, maybe 6 games in total. Skipped NHL 10 so can't compare.

Really hard to give much impressions here's a few:
- goals scored were from really variable situations. Two nice one-timers, some shots from the line, one deflected shot that went to video to see if it was high stick, a fumble by the goalie... felt good
- Winter Classic was fun, but not something to buy the game for
- hitting is REALLY hard, I was mainly trying to position and poke the puck
- feels a lot more tactical than before. You need to switch positioning and forecheck during the game (all-star difficulty and hardcore sliders) if you suddenly see the other team gaining ground. Really hard for me as I'm more of a football (soccer) tactics fan.

But had a ton of fun. I played NHL 07 endlessly when the first "two-stick" controls came. And before that, NHL 95 :)

theRizzle said:
Howard has put up similar numbers over the last two years as Quick and Kiprusoff. Now, he has a better team playing in front of him than either of those two guys, so take from that what you will.

True.

Although this year Quick has a hell of team in front of him with the Richards addition, so we'll see how he does.

I think the major complain my buddies have with Howard has been that he'll put up a stellar game, but then the goals he lets in are all weak, stoppable goals... the kind that deflate the team in front of him.

Marvie_3

Banned
sefskillz said:
wow, they must've really thinned him out in photoshop
1y7n2w.jpg

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I was always shocked at the high scores the nhl games recieved, especially 09,10 and 11. After you play for a while you realize how broken the AI really is. To this day, they play the "superhuman opponents" card when they cant make them smart enough to play realistically. At will, the AI will gain super speed to catch up to your players or to chase down a puck, they stick check, poke and dive with surgical precision, they can move from 0 to 60 in 0,5 sec and flatten a much bigger player at JUST the last second to prevent a goal, even though they are both skating DOWN the rink.

All this to make up for the fact that they opponent AI is dumb, and your own team AI retarded. They dont ice well at all, are almost always out of position and you can deke past them at will. Its like they dont care where the puck is or where its going.

I realize its harder hockey AI compared to Madden and Fifa which are slower sports played on a much larger area, but the way the NHL games break immersion with bad AI always turned be off completely. Sad thing is, there are no other hockey games so i always end up going back.

bradigor

The Antitype said:
I had no idea people thought so highly of Howard. Everytime the Wings lose to the Hawks, my buddies in Detroit throw him under a bus... then hijack the bus, hit reverse and drive over him again to make sure he's dead.

Jimmy had a fantastic rookie year and carried an under-performing team at times. A LOT was expected of him last season and he did an ok job, but did let in some weak goals, which were remembered more than the times he kept us in games.

In the playoffs he showed more glimpses of the Howard of the season previous. So I am personally hoping that this season he give us a regular season that matches that of 2009/10 and a playoff that matches 2010/11.

C Jones

I'll be there, but not day one. I'll get it eventually though, play over 100 hours and have my usual 40 achievement score or so to show for it. I mainly play franchise and I know we won't get decent rosters any time soon, so no rush. I am excited to play it though. For the most part I like the changes they made. With some tuner updates I'm sure it will get even better.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Antitype said:

He played great last year. The only Red Wings fans throwing him under the bus are complete morons.

SpacLock

Plinko said:
He played great last year. The only Red Wings fans throwing him under the bus are complete morons.

This. He's not exactly stellar, but thought he was above average in the playoffs this year and deserves better than a 79 with or without Conklin combined in the scoring.

I might pass on this release and stick with '10, but who knows. I usually get this sudden hype on release day.

GBONZZZZ said:
Yeah, I know.. But, since I live in Winnipeg it would have been the cherry to the already awesome cake.

I totally agree. This city is just buzzing in anticipation of October 9th.

Marvie_3 said:
Gotta save something for next year. ;)

That's a little late to the party though :O

Speaking of which, you said you heard/saw that the new Jets jerseys were already in. Can you confirm?

SpacLock said:
This. He's not exactly stellar, but thought he was above average in the playoffs this year and deserves better than a 79 with or without Conklin combined in the scoring.

I might pass on this release and stick with '10, but who knows. I usually get this sudden hype on release day.

Howard has been a great goalie, but he's not among the best goalies in the league. Although this sounds kinda wrong, he's really a poor-man's Tim Thomas. He plays every puck like it's the last one in the world, which causes him to get caught out of position a lot...that's not saying I don't like him, because I do, but he caught a lot. He deserves a decent mid 80's ranking though.

Marvie_3

Banned
KnightAttack said:
Speaking of which, you said you heard/saw that the new Jets jerseys were already in. Can you confirm?
Yes. EA confirmed it awhile back and several people who have the game have as well. The new Jets jerseys won't be in until a patch is released.

theRizzle

I really don't understand why they didn't just default to the Selanne era Jets jerseys.

Does anyone know if Be A GM mode will support more than one player this year? I think NHL is the only major sports franchise that doesn't support more than one player in it's franchise mode.

Marvie_3

Banned
theRizzle said:
I really don't understand why they didn't just default to the Selanne era Jets jerseys.
My guess is that EA doesn't know how to add more jerseys for a team so they needed placeholders to overwrite.

tiong_fi

Marvie_3 said:
That is sweet. Hadn't even heard of that version until your post.

It's exclusive to a few select retailers in Finland to celebrate our long awaited victory in the IIHF World Championships this year.

On another note, is anyone else having problems redeeming their online passes? I just tried to redeem my code but it gave me an unknown error and I couldn't download it. When I try to enter it again, it says that the code is already in use...

glxblt

Neo Member
tiong_fi said:
On another note, is anyone else having problems redeeming their online passes? I just tried to redeem my code but it gave me an unknown error and I couldn't download it. When I try to enter it again, it says that the code is already in use...

I got the same problem (I'm in Sweden).

A friend of mine contacted EA support and got an answer (please mind that this second hand information) that people without "seasons tickets" will be able to play online either the 9th or 10th. Why this would be the case really is confusing since I'm a paying customer and today is the street date..

tiong_fi said:

Same problem here. Got the game at Sept 6th, still no online. I have several friends who bought a new online pass, just to play online. Fans are fans. I refuse to pay twice.

Ardenyal

You guys on 360? The season ticket isnt available on PS3 in europe and didn't have anyproblems with the online pass

WJD

The demo was fun but didn't feel particularly different to 11. Might pick it up when it's cheaper.

Milly79

Marvie_3 said:
Except you didn't. And I never said I liked the gold one over the FS one.
Milly79
Post #511 - 08-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Seems Finland is getting a gold disc case for winning the WC.

On my iPad. Cant direct link from mobile site.

I SAID IT.

RS4-

Snaku said:
Holy crap, just found out about the FS steelbook. I'm never gonna get one am I? :(
I'm just going to walk into FS to get one.

Or I can go to Bestbuy and get $10 credit. Hrmm

Milly79 said:
WINNIPEG JERSEYS ARENT BEING SHIPPED ON THE DISC?

Game went gold and pressed onto discs WEEKS before Jets jerseys were announced. Friend at EA said they were waiting till the last possible minute to see if the Jets were going to unveil anything.

Top Bottom