• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

pringles

Wow, everyone's picking the Predators to beat the Wings. I expected less of a consensus.

Home-ice could make the difference, but Detroit has made it past the first round 5 straight years. And when they were healthy this year, they were easily in the top 4 teams in the league. Now they're pretty much healthy again.

Funny feeling to see a Wings team be the underdog in a playoff series.

I'm cautiously optimisitic.

The true credo of any Canucks fan...

But hey, three out of the four teams that have won the presidents trophy back to back, lost the Stanly Cup on their first try and won it the following year. It's a stupid statistic to go by... But you never know, Vancouver could be the fifth team to achieve this.

Alucard

Banned
So, Henrik Sedin ended up with 81 points this season. One two-point game away from being a point-a-game player. Where is that Art Ross Tabris promised?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The true credo of any Canucks fan...

But hey, three out of the four teams that have won the presidents trophy back to back, lost the Stanly Cup on their first try and won it the following year. It's a stupid statistic to go by... But you never know, Vancouver could be the fifth team to achieve this.

After last year I've given up on all statistics (such as the "the last team that both had most goals and least goals against won the cup!" statistic) and will just take it "One game at a time", in best Vigneault-fashion.

EDIT: He wasn't gonna win the Art Ross, that was fair enough... But he won it 2 years ago and 81 points is still great, he's assist leader too, I'm not complaining. Also, he had the biggest slump in a decade this season. -shrug-. Still a great player, I don't really know what you're complaining about.

kane mullet will prevail.

tumblr_ljklsj8cbp1qeaabq.gif

lol, as far as non-Caps players go, Kane is by far my favorite. Dude is awesome.

Smiley90

Smiley, I can respect that. I was directing the comment more at Tabris and his delusions than anyone else.

Fair enough, I figured something like that. Just wanted to make sure not everyone was "promising" another Art Ross for Henrik and I'd say nearly everyone in Vancouver is happy about the way Henrik is playing, Art Ross or not.

After last year I've given up on all statistics (such as the "the last team that both had most goals and least goals against won the cup!" statistic) and will just take it "One game at a time", in best Vigneault-fashion.

Yup. Same here, I'm just going to enjoy this series one round at a time, and hope for the best... and also hope that Vancouver doesn't end up in a riot for a third time.

But it's going to be interesting to see if they will alternate between Schneider and Luongo during the playoffs, or if they will just keep playing Luongo on net until he cracks?

Razorskin

----- ------
He played on April 5th against the Sabres and stopped 24 of 25. Before that he played on April 3rd against the Rangers and gave up 5 goals on 24 shots.

1-1-0, 3.05, .880 in last 2 GP.

Why would bother taking his stats from only the last two games?

Smiley90

Yup. Same here, I'm just going to enjoy this series one round at a time, and hope for the best... and also hope that Vancouver doesn't end up in a riot for a third time.

But it's going to be interesting to see if they will alternate between Schneider and Luongo during the playoffs, or if they will just keep playing Luongo on net until he cracks?

They'll start Luongo, then pull him once he crumbles, let Schneider play one full game, then put Luongo back in, and then if he crumbles again Schneider will play the rest of the playoffs (unless he crumbles too/cramps again). Calling it.

Smiley90

Are Canucks fans sick of Luongo?

Naw, most of us love him, there's an EXTREMELY vocal minority (and the media) that hate him though and wants him gone after every bad game, even if he has 95% great games. I feel bad for Luongo, really, I don't know how he handles it. I hope once Schneider is traded those voices will die down a bit and make him feel more welcome and more appreciated for what he does :/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, everyone's picking the Predators to beat the Wings. I expected less of a consensus.

Home-ice could make the difference, but Detroit has made it past the first round 5 straight years. And when they were healthy this year, they were easily in the top 4 teams in the league. Now they're pretty much healthy again.

Funny feeling to see a Wings team be the underdog in a playoff series.

But they're playing like garbage. Holmstrom is terrible, Franzen only skates when he's already bagged two garbage goals and wants the hat trick, the defense (especially Stuart) has been absolutely awful recently, and the team can't score.

Unless they magically flip a switch, it doesn't look good.

Ra\/en

Naw, most of us love him, there's an EXTREMELY vocal minority (and the media) that hate him though and wants him gone after every bad game, even if he has 95% great games. I feel bad for Luongo, really, I don't know how he handles it. I hope once Schneider is traded those voices will die down a bit and make him feel more welcome and more appreciated for what he does :/

He does wet the bed from time to time.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the Nucks chances.

Smiley90

The Bourque and Keith elbows were in a class of their own as far as I'm concerned. Just absolute gutless "play" that was nothing more than an attempt to injure the other player.

The Hordichuk attempted elbow in the Canucks-Edmonton game would've been in the same category, if he'd hit. Probably even worse, that was TERRIBLE and 100% retaliation.

(For everyone who didn't watch the game, Lapierre threw a hit on Hordichuk that was completely legal, then Hordichuk got up, took up full speed and aimed to put his elbow into Kesler's head, Duncan Keith style. 5 seconds after the hit by Lapierre. He literally had his elbow up in the air and was going for it; luckily he missed. I hope he's gonna get a next-season suspension out of that :/)

EDIT:

#9 and #10 are now the top 2?

Marchand clips Salo 19% 359
Keith elbows Sedin 48% 919

Click on "view" to see the votes? They listed the videos in chronological order, people are voting on them.

Marvie_3

Banned
Marchand clips Salo 19% 359
Keith elbows Sedin 48% 919

Click on "view" to see the votes? They listed the videos in chronological order, people are voting on them.
My bad. I thought the numbers by them were the results already. Too much skimming. :lol

But they're playing like garbage. Holmstrom is terrible, Franzen only skates when he's already bagged two garbage goals and wants the hat trick, the defense (especially Stuart) has been absolutely awful recently, and the team can't score.

This, they are pretty much healthy right now minus a few things but they still haven't been playing good at all. They need to go back to how they were before the injuries.

CCF23

The Hordichuk attempted elbow in the Canucks-Edmonton game would've been in the same category, if he'd hit. Probably even worse, that was TERRIBLE and 100% retaliation.

(For everyone who didn't watch the game, Lapierre threw a hit on Hordichuk that was completely legal, then Hordichuk got up, took up full speed and aimed to put his elbow into Kesler's head, Duncan Keith style. 5 seconds after the hit by Lapierre. He literally had his elbow up in the air and was going for it; luckily he missed. I hope he's gonna get a next-season suspension out of that :/)

I agree with that. Had Hordichuk connected it would've been the worst by far. Just a disgusting attempt to injure that luckily failed.

Cake Boss

Banned
Man is there anything worst than the Sportsnet panel, that host is the douchiest douche that has ever walked this douchy planet . Its sooo bad, plus add in Kyprios, Damien Cox, Maclean and you got yourself the worst panel a man can assemble.

Would rather listen to my dog fart on my carpet than this shit of a network.

SpacLock

This, they are pretty much healthy right now minus a few things but they still haven't been playing good at all. They need to go back to how they were before the injuries.

They'll be ready. It's playing in Nashville that worries me because even when we were playing like the top team in the league we couldn't win on the road. If we steal one of the first two in Nashville we're moving on to the second round. The problem is that there's only two ways that could happen:

1. Some crazy ass weird bounces in our favor leading to goals. (those only happen to other teams)
2. Datsyuk decides that he wants to win one.

One of my major concerns is Stuart. He scores on us every year, so I'm sure he'll find a way to fuck up again.

Lupul was injured for almost a quarter of the season. More points than any Habs player. Also what happened to Kessel not being in the top 10 in scoring?

Snaku

Banned

We'll take him back. :)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
On our Sportsnet Playoff Preview show Mike Keenan just talked about being offered Joe Thornton for Roberto Luongo. 1 for 1.

Kennan wanted to make the deal but ownership didn't want to take on the Thornton contract.

So yes, Luongo could have been a Bruin.

Interesting

Keenan as a GM...smh.

smh.

Our media is a pile of rotting garbage though. They always do this, going back as far as slamming Bure after his rookie year. They like to pre-fire the coach years ahead of time. I'm sure if you looked far enough into the Province archives there would probably be a piece slamming management for giving up on Stojanov so quickly.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

yQjTP.jpg

But you're correct. I'm just not feeling this team this year. And even if they do get past the first round, to win 3 more seems like the biggest mountain climb ever. Maybe they do flip the switch and dominate at both ends, but the Nashville PP being #1 in the NHL and our PK sitting at like 17th is not something I look forward to seeing. Quincey will be taking so many bad penalties that I bet he'll end up being scratched around game 4 or 5 in favor of Kindl.

Not having Helm in the line up also kills us. That 3rd and 4th line are just stop gaps until Pavel and Z regain their breath and can go back out there. Emmerton, Holmstrom, and Mursak really are worthless at this point. None have any offensive upside or are big enough to bang and crash and wear down the other teams top lines. I would rather our 4th line be Miller/Abby/Eaves, with Helm centering Cleary and Bertuzzi, but that's not possible.

ShaneB

Man is there anything worst than the Sportsnet panel, that host is the douchiest douche that has ever walked this douchy planet . Its sooo bad, plus add in Kyprios, Damien Cox, Maclean and you got yourself the worst panel a man can assemble.

Would rather listen to my dog fart on my carpet than this shit of a network.

Wow. I actually prefer the Sportsnet Hockeycentral panel to anything TSN ever does. I love the personalities, and for TSN I can't stand James Duthie.

Even though Rangers will win I thought it was cute to see Potvin pick Sens in 6, nice to get a homer vote of confidence at least.

pringles

They have shown many times that they know how to flip the switch. I can't say I've never been more confident about the team, but anyone thinking they'll just lay down and die in 4 or 5 games doesn't understand how the Red Wings work. This is when their season starts.

Oh, and I'm not worried about our D. It's been great this year. Our 3rd and 4th lines are easily our biggest weakness, along with our road game. In a way it's good we start in Nashville, puts pressure on them to right off the bat find a solution to the road issue.

They have shown many times that they know how to flip the switch. I can't say I've never been more confident about the team, but anyone thinking they'll just lay down and die in 4 or 5 games doesn't understand how the Red Wings work. This is when their season starts.

Oh, and I'm not worried about our D. It's been great this year. Our 3rd and 4th lines are easily our biggest weakness, along with our road game. In a way it's good we start in Nashville, puts pressure on them to right off the bat find a solution to the road issue.

Well like we said, they either find that solution, or it will be that they go down in 4 or 5 games.

t0mp

good god I can't wait for the playoffs to start! I say flyers in 6, couter shuts down malkin single-handedly.

LGF!

can't wait to get quoted when he scores in every game this series

Cake Boss

Banned
Even though Rangers will win I thought it was cute to see Potvin pick Sens in 6, nice to get a homer vote of confidence at least.

It wasn't that, it was the that dumbass host that kept asking what if they faced Boston, and kept asking it and not letting anyone talk, what kind of fucking dumbass question is that? What if Unicorns were real and they gave handjobs for free?

Well, with my new hometown team (Canes) out of it, I have to fall back on where I was raised (Pittsburgh). Never paid much heed to hockey growing up, but gotta pick someone in this mess.

Fucking Canes better get their shit together and start making the playoffs. 3 damn years in a row golfing in April. Fuckers.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well, with my new hometown team (Canes) out of it, I have to fall back on where I was raised (Pittsburgh). Never paid much heed to hockey growing up, but gotta pick someone in this mess.

Fucking Canes better get their shit together and start making the playoffs. 3 damn years in a row golfing in April. Fuckers.

Look on the bright side, at least it's better than 8

Sigh

MacAttack

From what I gather, this is the matchup Bruins fans least wanted.

Bruins fans had their hearts set on Ottawa. Thomas has dominated against them for a long time. It might have been beneficial to play a quick series and get some guys a little rest before round two.

Florida and Ottawa can ride the low expectations going into this season if they get knocked out in round one. If that happens to the Caps, heads will roll. That kind of desperation could help with them stealing an early game and establishing some confidence. With their home record this could drag out into a long and physical series.

Parch

Our media is a pile of rotting garbage though. They always do this, going back as far as slamming Bure after his rookie year. They like to pre-fire the coach years ahead of time.
This happens in Edmonton too. The print media tries to stir the shit and are constantly trying to get a negative response. They treat coaches and players like crap and then complain that they get only generic answers. Sports media are slime, especially newspaper beat writers. Newspapers are nothing but tabloid garbage now desperately doing anything to sell papers and justify their existence.

Top Bottom