• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

SpacLock

Well like we said, they either find that solution, or it will be that they go down in 4 or 5 games.

Pretty much. I'm not going to joke around and say that we're completely screwed, and I'm sure that we will play better on the road in the playoffs than we were during the regular season. You have to remember that the Wing's have played more hockey games than any other team in the league this past decade and it's possible that regular season games lose more and more importance to the players on this team after each additional season and playoff run. Most of these players just want to get back to the playoffs to try again and don't give two shits about half of the regular season games they play to get there. I guess the same could be said about some other teams to an extent, but not like the Wings.

Let's just cross our fingers this year and try not to over analyze shit because this team is really up in the air compared to most before it. They could be complete shit, or they could be fucking amazing. The first two games should give us a clear picture.

It wasn't that, it was the that dumbass host that kept asking what if they faced Boston, and kept asking it and not letting anyone talk, what kind of fucking dumbass question is that? What if Unicorns were real and they gave handjobs for free?

Sportsnet tries so hard to be like TSN and fails more spectacularly every year.

Bruins fans had their hearts set on Ottawa. Thomas has dominated against them for a long time. It might have been beneficial to play a quick series and get some guys a little rest before round two.

So glad we avoided giving you the "easy matchup" you wanted, I can't wait til Thomas retires or is traded to the West.

Quick

Banned
Our media is a pile of rotting garbage though. They always do this, going back as far as slamming Bure after his rookie year. They like to pre-fire the coach years ahead of time. I'm sure if you looked far enough into the Province archives there would probably be a piece slamming management for giving up on Stojanov so quickly.

This happens in Edmonton too. The print media tries to stir the shit and are constantly trying to get a negative response. They treat coaches and players like crap and then complain that they get only generic answers. Sports media are slime, especially newspaper beat writers. Newspapers are nothing but tabloid garbage now desperately doing anything to sell papers and justify their existence.

The Toronto media is the king of terribleness. Our media fucking sucks, and they can all eat a big bag of dicks.

Newspapers are definitely take the cake as the worst. What's worse (worst-er?) is these newspaper writers get to appear on TV. Damien Cox is a regular on Sportsnet (which is already pretty bad, outside of their baseball coverage), and Steve Simmons is a regular on TSN.

Sportsnet tries so hard to be like TSN and fails more spectacularly every year.

Sportsnet may have gotten rebranded, but their on-air people still suck. Hockey Central ends up devolving into a shouting match with Kypreos in the middle of it, for one.

MacAttack

So glad we avoided giving you the "easy matchup" you wanted, I can't wait til Thomas retires or is traded to the West.

I know you guys (Ottawa fans) know these stats but for everyone else:

Tim Thomas career vs Sens:
34 Games 23 Wins 9 Losses 2 OTL 1.98 GAA .937 Save% 6 shutouts
17-4-0 in the last 5 seasons with 4 shutouts.

Craig Anderson hasn't won a game in two seasons with Ottawa against Boston.

tumblr_lyp1rpiywF1qjjex1o1_500.gif

Yeah, we wanted that matchup.

ShaneB

Sportsnet may have gotten rebranded, but their on-air people still suck. Hockey Central ends up devolving into a shouting match with Kypreos in the middle of it, for one.

Feels like I'm the only one here who loves the Hockeycentral guys. Kypreos vs Maclean is always awesome. Everyone on TSN's panel bores me.

robox

really?? you're one of the people keeping them on the air? kypreos and co. are just a bunch of loud blowhards that don't really say anything. they seem to take their cues from don cherry.

Cagey

Banned
Senators over Rangers in 6
Bruins over Capitals in 5
Penguins over Flyers in 7
Devils over Panthers in 5

K5JcE.png

Canucks over Kings in 6
Blues over Sharks in 5
Blackhawks over Coyotes in 6
Predators over Red Wings in 6

E-DuB

Truly the most wonderful time of the year. I've given myself a moment to pay respects to the Leafs and their efforts this year but it's time to move on more important things.
That being said

Canucks over kings in 7
Blues over Sharks in 5
Coyotes over Hawks in 6
Preds over Wings in 6

Rangers over Sens in 7
Bruins over The Caps in 5
Panthers over The Devils in 6
Flyers over the Pens in a "Bloodbath" in 7

Pretty much. I'm not going to joke around and say that we're completely screwed, and I'm sure that we will play better on the road in the playoffs than we were during the regular season. You have to remember that the Wing's have played more hockey games than any other team in the league this past decade and it's possible that regular season games lose more and more importance to the players on this team after each additional season and playoff run. Most of these players just want to get back to the playoffs to try again and don't give two shits about half of the regular season games they play to get there. I guess the same could be said about some other teams to an extent, but not like the Wings.

Let's just cross our fingers this year and try not to over analyze shit because this team is really up in the air compared to most before it. They could be complete shit, or they could be fucking amazing. The first two games should give us a clear picture.

Well thankfully Soc is not a Wings fan, so I don't think we need to worry about over analyzing anything.

Senators over Rangers in 6
Bruins over Capitals in 5
Penguins over Flyers in 7
Devils over Panthers in 5

http://i.imgur.com/K5JcE.png[IMG]

[B]Canucks[/B] over Kings in 6
[B]Blues[/B] over Sharks in 5
[B]Blackhawks[/B] over Coyotes in 6
[B]Predators[/B] over Red Wings in 6[/QUOTE]

Parise is going to look good in a Red Wings jersey next year. ;)

Cake Boss

Banned
I know you guys (Ottawa fans) know these stats but for everyone else:

Tim Thomas career vs Sens:
34 Games 23 Wins 9 Losses 2 OTL 1.98 GAA .937 Save% 6 shutouts
17-4-0 in the last 5 seasons with 4 shutouts.

Craig Anderson hasn't won a game in two seasons with Ottawa against Boston.

[IMsG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyp1rpiywF1qjjex1o1_500.gif[/IMG]

Ok we fucking get it, Thomas owns the Sens, everyone here knows it and my goat knows it now.

Enjoy it though while it lasts, because this kid will be the anti thomas coming up next year.

Yeah I can't blame you, nearly every time we play the Bruins the game goes to shit.

After a terrific season, I didn't want it to end by being a "free ticket to the 2nd round" for the Bruins, at least against the Rangers there's a bit of hope (mildly surprised to see a few people in NHL-GAF pick us to win).

Enjoy it though while it lasts, because this kid will be the anti thomas coming up next year.

Lehner will be in Bingo next year, doubt we'll see much of him unless big injuries hit.

ShaneB

really?? you're one of the people keeping them on the air? kypreos and co. are just a bunch of loud blowhards that don't really say anything. they seem to take their cues from don cherry.

Meh, they say plenty, and have opinions and gladly speak out and let their opinions be known.

Different strokes for different folks. I love the Sportsnet Hockeycentral crew. The TSN hockey panel bores me, and the only one worth a mention is Bob Mckenzie.

RC

Banned
Meh, they say plenty, and have opinions and gladly speak out and let their opinions be known.

Different strokes for different folks. I love the Sportsnet Hockeycentral crew. The TSN hockey panel bores me, and the only one worth a mention is Bob Mckenzie.

I watch both panels for different reasons. I watch TSN's for Bob Mckenzie's insight and I watch Sportnet's for the banter between Kyperios and McLean.

Quick

Banned
Feels like I'm the only one here who loves the Hockeycentral guys. Kypreos vs Maclean is always awesome. Everyone on TSN's panel bores me.

See, hearing opinions are great, but it's not great when it all goes down to shouting down someone else's opinion. Many times, the one side drowns out the other because they don't agree.

I'll definitely agree with you on the TSN panel being a little monotonous, but they're usually pretty good and I like their format (each person gets a say, no interruption, then discussion). McKenzie and Dreger are the guys to pay attention to for insider stuff. James Duthie keeps it all classy by taking control of the panel when it gets out of hand, and he's not too bad with humour either. Aaron Ward is a bad addition, but he keeps it a bit lively, at least. I can respect Crawford's opinions especially on any coaching matter.

Like you say, different strokes. I do check on Sportsnet's when TSN isn't airing anything good.

And a side note on Bob McKenzie: he easily gets butt hurt on Twitter for any negative replies he gets. It's funny to read on occasion. And he breaks news pretty fast on it, too.

MPW

are we gonna discuss draft lottery and offseason stuff here (for teams that didn't make the playoffs) or is there going to be another thread for it?

Budaj had a 2.55 GAA and a .913 save percentage.

Better than any Leafs goalie this year.

bwhahahaha

anyway, i'll support halak and his blues in the playoffs

Parch

But Sportsnet built the strategy room! Can you play air hockey on that table?

I prefer TSN myself, but more and more these panel shows are just sports radio with a camera on them. I don't want to just watch these dickwads ramble. I much prefer when they can include more video highlights and actually add some significant production value to the program.

Parch

ah it is in "off topic" while this is in "community" (why did gaf do this?), that is why i couldn't find it
I'm just scared that I'm going to accidently click on the Pony thread by mistake. Some horror just isn't worth exploring.

Socreges

Banned
TSN doesn't even have 'rambling' people, though. They don't really allow it. It's all pretty structured and digestible. My problem with them is that they always put on their 'expert suit' despite ignorance and usually CAN'T know enough to put forward a meaningful comment. For once I'd like to hear someone on the panel say "I'm not sure" or "I didn't see that coming".

Well, out of 10 players in my hockey pool, my autodraft netted me:

Perron
Backes
Oshie
Peterangelo
Shattenkirk

So, uh, I hope San Jose loses!

Here's my playoff predictions:

Quarterfinals:

NYR-OTT in 5
BOS-WSH in 6
FLA-NJD in 6
PIT-PHI in 5

VAN-LAK in 6
STL-SJS in 6
PHX-CHI in 7
NSH-DET in 7

Semifinals:

NYR-NJ in 5
BOS-PIT in 6

VAN-CHI in 6
STL-NSH in 6

Conference finals:

NYR-PIT in 6
VAN-NSH in 7

Stanley Cup Final:

VAN-PIT in 6

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TSN is pretty decent with Dredger, MacKenzie, and LeBrun. I think Duthie is a good host, not terrible, not amazing. Ward is a waste of air time though, while Mike Johnson has quickly become one o the best Commentators and Panelists on TSN. He knows his stuff, and speaks in a pretty calm and central manner, I really enjoy him now.

Acid08

Banned
I like how we are kinda the underdog for this round. With that said, if you want to go to a Wings playoff game this year, might as well make it to game 3 and 4 cause I have a feeling the others might not happen. :(

However, for some reason I'm feeling somewhat positive today (I know, crazy right?) so here we go:

West is best!

Tabris vs Queens - Queens in 7
St. Louis vs Deadshark.jpg - St. Louis in 6
Quebec vs Chicago - Quebec in 7
Sef vs Detroit - Detroit in 7

East sucks!

New York vs Ottawa - New York in 6
Boston vs Washington - Washington in 6
Florida vs New Jersey - Florida in 7
Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia - Philadelphia in 7 (or which ever team had the most remaining eligible players left or who which ever team has the most players still alive)

:lol

At first I laughed then my soul was crushed.

First time in a long time we've been definite underdogs, feels weird.

Quick

Banned
TSN is pretty decent with Dredger, MacKenzie, and LeBrun. I think Duthie is a good host, not terrible, not amazing. Ward is a waste of air time though, while Mike Johnson has quickly become one o the best Commentators and Panelists on TSN. He knows his stuff, and speaks in a pretty calm and central manner, I really enjoy him now.

Aaron Ward seems to be trying to squeeze out as much words from his mouth in one breath.

Acid08

Banned
Found out I'll be going to Montreal in July, should be fun! Will wear my jersey everyday I'm there.

Only for one day.

Socreges

Banned
Finally got to see the OT as it was meant to be. Pretty sweet.

VAN VS LAK - No.
...Canucks in 6.

STL VS SJS - Blues in 5

PHX VS CHI - Hawks in 7

NSH VS DET - Preds in 7

NYR VS OTT - Rangers in 6

BOS VS WASH - Bruins in 6

FLA VS NJD - Devils in 5

PIT VS PHI - Penguins in 6

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Well, out of 10 players in my hockey pool, my autodraft netted me:

Perron
Backes
Oshie
Peterangelo
Shattenkirk

So, uh, I hope San Jose loses!

Here's my playoff predictions:

Quarterfinals:

NYR-OTT in 5
BOS-WSH in 6
FLA-NJD in 6
PIT-PHI in 5

VAN-LAK in 6
STL-SJS in 6
PHX-CHI in 7
NSH-DET in 7

Semifinals:

NYR-NJ in 5
BOS-PIT in 6

VAN-CHI in 6
STL-NSH in 6

Conference finals:

NYR-PIT in 6
VAN-NSH in 7

Stanley Cup Final:

VAN-PIT in 6

This is why you don't do Autodraft.

Socreges

Banned
Rewatching Game 7 right now for the first time.

That fucking weird first goal. Made my heart sink all over again.
Canucks were the better team through 30 minutes, without question. Home ice probably gave them a boost.
Chara's save to keep the game 1-0 halfway through the 2nd period. Goddamned giant.
That 2nd goal... Luongo saved it. Then his left leg flops down and knocks it in. Never noticed that before.
Edler looks terrible. Got knocked down so many times. He probably wouldn't have played if we weren't already missing Hamhuis and Rome.
Tambellini, Glass, Oreskovich, one-eyed Manny. Bruins were just deeper and bigger at forward. Canucks had to lean too heavily on too few players.
Thomas was awesome. Reduced chances to nothing by coming way out. Canucks didn't exploit that well enough.
Why couldn't you hit the net Kesler? Just once. So many awesome rushes up the ice into the zone and he'd rip it wide. Every time.
Third goal was fucking bizarre, too. Off the stanchion. Bergeron crashes into Luongo and the puck slides in.
The slashes. Thomas high-sticking Hansen. Peverley diving. I remember losing my mind at this point, haha.

Not gonna bother watching the rest. Not because of the Canucks losing, but because I can't stand listening to Healy anymore. I'm no masochist.

Canucks - Kings in 6
Blues - Sharks in 5
Coyotes - Blackhawks in 6
Predators - Red Wings in 5

Rangers - Senators in 7
Bruins - Capitals in 6
Panthers - Devils in 5
Flyers -Penguins in 6

VAN VS LAK - Canucks in 6
STL VS SJS - Sharks in 7
PHX VS CHI - Hawks in 6
NSH VS DET - Preds in 7

NYR VS OTT - Rangers in 6
BOS VS WASH - Bruins in 7
FLA VS NJD - Devils in 5
PIT VS PHI - Penguins in 7

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Pens/Flyers on TSN :(

I know exactly how the broadcasts are going to be like! Spoiler alert!

Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby

Wow picks in here shifted from mostly Flyers to mostly Pens pretty quickly. I'll be honest, I'm not overly optimistic, but that' because I think it's 50/50. If the Flyers were healthy I wouldn't doubt us at all.

Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Malkin Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby

You were close but slightly off, I fixed it for you though.

Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby

Atleast they dont have the Bruins/Capitals series.

Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby WhatiswrongwithOvechkin Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Semin Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby
[/QUOTE]

NYR vs OTT in 5
BOS vs WSH in 6
FLA vs NJD in 6
PIT vs PHI in 7
----------------------
VAN vs LAK in 6
STL vs SJS in 5
PHX vs CHI in 7
NSH vs DET in 7

lol Company IP address put me in Cali instead of Mass.

Fei

Canucks - Kings in 5
Blues - Sharks in 7
Coyotes - Blackhawks in 6
Predators - Red Wings in 6

Rangers - Senators in 7
Bruins - Capitals in 6
Panthers - Devils in 4
Flyers -Penguins in 6

BTW, looks like Cody found some friends on the Sabres:

Ap_14XcCEAELiV5.jpg

Cody vs. Ennis at Nathan Gerbe's house for Easter

best time of the year is here again. i'm nervous about this wings-preds series, but it is nice to start with a series only one timezone away.

NYR-OTT in 5
BOS-WSH in 6
FLA-NJD in 5
PIT-PHI in 7

VAN-LAK in 6
STL-SJS in 7
PHX-CHI in 5
NSH-DET in 7

UberTag

After a terrific season, I didn't want it to end by being a "free ticket to the 2nd round" for the Bruins, at least against the Rangers there's a bit of hope (mildly surprised to see a few people in NHL-GAF pick us to win).
Most of us taking the Senators to win in 7 are Bruins fans who still want that "free ticket to the next round" clause to kick in.
If we can't get it in Round 1, we want it in Round 2 to rest up for some team in Pennsylvania so they don't kick our asses (
which they probably will
).

Solo

It's hard impossible to give a single fuck about playoffs with no Habs in it, but here goes. Entire playoffs because......eat a dick:

ECQF:

1. New York vs 8. Ottawa - Rangers in 6
2. Boston vs 7. Washington - Bruins in 5
3. Florida vs 6. New Jersey - Devils in 5
4. Pittsburgh vs 5. Philadelphia - Penguins in 6

ECSF:

1. New York vs 6. New Jersey - Rangers in 6
2. Boston vs 4. Pittsburgh - Penguins in 6

ECF:

1. New York vs 4. Pittsburgh - Penguins in 6

WCQF:

1. Vancouver vs 8. Los Angeles - Canucks in 4