• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Solo

Matt Dumba ranked 11th in the final rankings. UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF.

There is no way he slides that low.

Top 30:

RANK PLAYER TEAM LEAGUE HEIGHT WEIGHT POSITION
1 YAKUPOV, NAIL SARNIA OHL 5' 10.5" 189 RW
2 MURRAY, RYAN EVERETT WHL 6' 0.5" 195 D
3 GRIGORENKO, MIKHAIL QUEBEC QMJHL 6' 3.0" 200 C
4 GALCHENYUK, ALEX SARNIA OHL 6' 0.5" 198 C
5 RIELLY, MORGAN MOOSE JAW WHL 5' 11.5" 190 D
6 CECI, CODY OTTAWA OHL 6' 2.5" 207 D
7 FAKSA, RADEK KITCHENER OHL 6' 2.5" 203 C
8 MAATTA, OLLI LONDON OHL 6' 1.5" 202 D
9 TROUBA, JACOB USA U-18 USHL 6' 2.0" 193 D
10 REINHART, GRIFFIN EDMONTON WHL 6' 3.75" 197 D
11 DUMBA, MATHEW RED DEER WHL 5' 11.75" 173 D
12 POULIOT, DERRICK PORTLAND WHL 5' 11.25" 190 D
13 GAUNCE, BRENDAN BELLEVILLE OHL 6' 2.0" 215 C
14 SISSONS, COLTON KELOWNA WHL 6' 0.5" 187 C
15 WILSON, THOMAS PLYMOUTH OHL 6' 3.5" 203 RW
16 FINN, MATTHEW GUELPH OHL 6' 0.25" 192 D
17 MATTEAU, STEFAN USA U-18 USHL 6' 1.5" 210 C
18 GIRGENSONS, ZEMGUS DUBUQUE USHL 6' 1.5" 198 C
19 SKJEI, BRADY USA U-18 USHL 6' 2.75" 200 D
20 FRK, MARTIN HALIFAX QMJHL 5' 11.75" 200 RW
21 WINTHER, MIKE PRINCE ALBERT WHL 5' 11.75" 170 C
22 DI GIUSEPPE, PHILLIP U OF MICHIGAN CCHA 5' 11.5" 176 LW
23 KOEKKOEK, SLATER PETERBOROUGH OHL 6' 2.0" 184 D
24 KOSMACHUK, SCOTT GUELPH OHL 5' 11.5" 183 RW
25 PEARSON, TANNER BARRIE OHL 6' 0.0" 195 LW
26 THROWER, DALTON SASKATOON WHL 5' 11.5" 189 D
27 NIEVES, CRISTOVAL KENT SCHOOL HIGH-CT 6' 2.75" 184 C
28 LAUGHTON, SCOTT OSHAWA OHL 6' 0.25" 180 C
29 KERDILES, NICOLAS USA U-18 USHL 6' 1.5" 201 LW
30 MATHESON, MICHAEL DUBUQUE USHL 6' 1.0" 178 D

As Ive been saying, Habs are guaranteed one of Yakupov, Grigorenko or Galchenyuk it seems. Love it.

Cake Boss

Banned

I seen this kid play live and I swear its like if Subban and Karlsson had a kid together. Hits like Subban and has the skating of Karlsson.

Wouldnt surprise me if he ends up being the Tyler Myers or cam Fowler of the drat and drop out of top ten.

Solo

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Habs shouldn't go for Galchenyuk over Grigorenko. Of course, Grigs is bigger (although not by much; 2.5" and 2 lbs), but his work ethic seems to be questioned a lot whereas Galchenyuk's work ethic is one of his most highly touted assets.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wasnt there some scout that was quoted that he would not even take Grigo if even he fell to the 25th pick or something like that.

Solo

Malcolm Subban is the top goalie. Yes, brother of PK. Compared a lot to Carey Price too. dat Montreal connection.

Of course the Leafs will fall just outside of getting one of those premier talents.

FML.

Not necessarily. Leafs could win the lottery and get Yakupov and Habs would still be able to get Galch or Grigs at #4.

Cat Party

Yep, blues are made for grind it out playoff hockey, with 2 great goalies. I would be terrified to play against them.

No one uses a tandem in the playoffs. I expect Halak will get the starts. Not like that's better, as he was great last time he was in the playoffs.

Over the last few weeks, the Blues just didn't look as imposing. I have some hope that they spent their load getting as far as they did. They have a gob of playoff rookies (or players with just a handful of games), and you never know which guys will rise to occasion and which won't. I'd be much more worried if the Sharks were playing Vancouver.

ZeroGravity

I seen this kid play live and I swear its like if Subban and Karlsson had a kid together. Hits like Subban and has the skating of Karlsson.

Wouldnt surprise me if he ends up being the Tyler Myers or cam Fowler of the drat and drop out of top ten.
If he's somehow there at 10, Tampa will take him. But I doubt it'll get to that.

ShaneB

But Sportsnet built the strategy room! Can you play air hockey on that table?

I prefer TSN myself, but more and more these panel shows are just sports radio with a camera on them. I don't want to just watch these dickwads ramble. I much prefer when they can include more video highlights and actually add some significant production value to the program.

I can agree to an extent, I mean I love analysis and hockey talk, but it definitely works in different formats for different reasons. I always listen to Hockeycentral@Noon on the radio during lunch, and it's great, but I couldn't care to constantly sit down and watch the same broadcast on tv. Different mediums need different approaches obviously.

TSN doesn't even have 'rambling' people, though. They don't really allow it. It's all pretty structured and digestible. My problem with them is that they always put on their 'expert suit' despite ignorance and usually CAN'T know enough to put forward a meaningful comment. For once I'd like to hear someone on the panel say "I'm not sure" or "I didn't see that coming".

On Hockeycentral it's basically a running joke at this point that some of the guys ramble on and they go off topic so often sometimes. On something like the Quiz on the TSN stuff, they disagree, but there's no pushback, everyone says their bit and moves on.

Anyways! Moving on.

Solo said:
It's hard impossible to give a single fuck about playoffs with no Habs in it, but here goes. Entire playoffs because......eat a dick:

Posts like this are when I'm glad I don't have a specific team to root for during the reason. Come playoff time it's just more amazing hockey for 2 months. I guess if no Canadian teams made the playoffs I'd be a bit bummed, but there's always a team I'd like to see win a series and eventually the cup.

ZeroGravity

Sucks for Canada, but sounds like Stamkos is leaning towards not going to the Worlds because of a shoulder injury. Apparently he had been playing with this injury for the last month.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sucks for Canada, but sounds like Stamkos is leaning towards not going to the Worlds because of a shoulder injury. Apparently he had been playing with this injury for the last month.

So you're saying he could have got 70 if he was healthy? :eek:

Malvolio

What an amazing first round. The match ups are so even that it feels like making any predictions would be like guessing on a coin flip. The only thing I feel comfortable in saying is that any sweep would be a total shock to me.

fallout

My problem with them is that they always put on their 'expert suit' despite ignorance and usually CAN'T know enough to put forward a meaningful comment. For once I'd like to hear someone on the panel say "I'm not sure" or "I didn't see that coming".
While I agree with you, they did this when Jokinen got traded back to the Flames.

are we gonna discuss draft lottery and offseason stuff here (for teams that didn't make the playoffs) or is there going to be another thread for it?
Yeah, I'd be mindful of posting off-season stuff here. Some people get pretty whiny about it, which results in a bunch of unnecessary bullshit.

ShaneB

What an amazing first round. The match ups are so even that it feels like making any predictions would be like guessing on a coin flip. The only thing I feel comfortable in saying is that any sweep would be a total shock to me.

The parity in the NHL is so awesome. Like you said, every match up really could go either way, and no one would be surprised at all really. Sure there are slight favourites in some match-ups, but all in all, a coin flip is indeed as good a guess as any.

I have to say this quick write up for power rankings for the Flyers made me laugh at the last section:

Most teams in the East would want to avoid a first-round matchup with the high-flying Penguins. Not the Flyers, who have had their state rival's number this season by winning four of six games. Bring it on, Claude Giroux and the boys say in Philly. Sidney Crosby might be the best player on the planet, but Ilya Bryzgalov has the universe behind him.

Razorskin

----- ------

There's a chance, like the 2010 draft where teams wanted forwards and Fowler fell very far.

Not sure what the Rangers where thinking when they took McIlrath over him. Must not have wanted a offensive d like Fowler.

VAN VS LAK - Canucks in 5
STL VS SJS - Blues in 6
PHX VS CHI - Yotes in 7
NSH VS DET - Preds in 7

NYR VS OTT - Sens in 6 - Homer pick
BOS VS WASH - Bruins in 5
FLA VS NJD - Devils in 6
PITVS PHI - Penguins in 7

He is my favorite non-Flyers player. It will be sad to see him retire. A couple buddies of mine were fishing in upstate NY and he came into the bar they were in and he bought everyone drinks and signed stuff for them and they said he was super nice to everyone.

Barrage

I want Dallas to get Dumba. Even though you just know there are sportswriters literally salivating over the thought of him fucking up and getting an own goal or something, so they can write the headline "Dumb and Dumba".

Flyers are lucky to get Penguins IMO, they are a fair match up and Flyers have had a better record over the Pens this season.

LOLOL Bruins not getting the Sens hahaha; I am glad that the Caps won't make it too easy for the Bruins

Won't be accurate at all, but here we go anyway...

Round One

VAN VS LAK- Kings in 7
STL VS SJS - Blues in 6
PHX VS CHI - Chicago in 7
NSH VS DET - Preds in 5

NYR VS OTT - Rags in 5
BOS VS WASH - Bruins in 6
FLA VS NJD - Devils in 5
PIT VS PHI - Flyers in 7

Razorskin

----- ------
I want Dallas to get Dumba. Even though you just know there are sportswriters literally salivating over the thought of him fucking up and getting an own goal or something, so they can write the headline "Dumb and Dumba".
That headline would be good for when the leafs draft him and he's paired with Phaneuf.

Parch

PIT vs PHI is definately the can't miss series. Just the way matchups worked out makes it a tough road to the final though. Whomever wins have a strong possibility they'll have to play Boston and then the Rangers which is going to be a killer schedule. Other teams are definately getting an easier matchup somewhere along the way. The strong possibility that Pens and Flyers are going to beat the crap out of each other isn't going to make their 2nd and 3rd matchups any easier either.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Toews, Jeff Carter, and Daniel Sedin all skating at practice.

Red Wings news:

Franzen and Holmstrom will be in action but, as always, will not be skating in Wednesday's game.

*rimshot*

Red Wings news:

Franzen and Holmstrom will be in action but, as always, will not be skating in Wednesday's game.

*rimshot*

I see what you did there.

Also Cleary said even if his knee is at 50%, he will play in game 1 still. Seriously? Why would they have him play when his knee would only be at 50%? He would be more of a problem than helpful.

Ilya Bryzgalov when asked about the Penguins' biggest threat: "You know, I'm not afraid of anything. I'm afraid of bear. Bear in the forest."

Flyers/Bruins 2nd round matchup confirmed.

UberTag

Ilya Bryzgalov when asked about the Penguins' biggest threat: "You know, I'm not afraid of anything. I'm afraid of bear. Bear in the forest."

While Flyers/Bruins in the 2nd round has become tradition, I really think this rivalry deserves conference final treatment this season.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

:lol glad I took the flyers over pens....

I'll be shocked if Dumba falls out of the top 10, and I'm going to hate whatever team picks him up. At this point its a toss up between Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, I've read conflicting reports on both, but either should turn out a decent return.

Top Bottom