• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

Curufinwe

When was the last time an American was clearly the best goalie in the world? I hope he can reproduce this kind of form for the Olympics, if the NHL agrees to participate.

Curufinwe

Lol, I already forgot about Thomas, or thought of him as Canadian since he looks just like Mike Holmes. But he was never going to be around for the 2014 Olympics. Hopefully Bryz will go to Sochi as the Russian goaltender
and stay there.

Cake Boss

Banned
Back from the Gaming side.

qEyPK.png

Fei

When was the last time an American was clearly the best goalie in the world?

Tim Thomas in 2009.
Ryan Miller in 2010.
Tim Thomas in 2011.

Come on man! :lol

Marvie said:
A Republic analysis revealed that even if the Coyotes went to the Stanley Cup Finals for the next 20 seasons and the arena booked 30 sold-out concerts each year for the next 20 years, Glendale could still expect to lose about $9 million annually.

Holyyy shit. I don't even

Barrage

Quick being on a 1.8 mil/year contract is INSANE. The kid is going to get atleast 3.5x that when he resigns I guarantee. Bernier, though a backup is at 1.25 mil. He's actually decent too but Quick is the starter. I recall like a couple seasons ago there was some talk about who would be their starter but Quick prevailed.

For comparison here are the top 5 salary hit goaltenders:
1. Lundqvist, Henrik - $6,875,000
2. Ward, Cam - $6,300,000
3. Miller, Ryan - $6,250,000
4. Backstrom, Niklas - $6,000,000
5. Kiprusoff, Miikka - $5,833,333

Given how great Quick is and how consistent he is, he should be somewhere between what Lundqvist and Ward earn (6.5 mil easily).

According to CapGeek for 2012-2013 the Kings have 16 mil in cap space.

Kopitar is currently locked in at 6.8 mil until 2016-2017 so he's pretty much set for life.
Richards is 5.75 mil until 2020 (WTF?!)
Carter is 5.2 mil until 2022 (WHAT?!?!?)
Doughty is 7 mil until 2019
Brown is 3.17 mil until 2014 (good deal on this. If he continued to do well in these playoffs he could get 6+ easily but he's petered off against the Coyotes)

Dustin Penner, Jarrett Stoll, Scott Parse, and Colin Fraser are all UFAs for 2012-2013 so who knows if they'll get re-signed.

You missed Rinne (7 mil/year). And I would say Stoll is gonna be gone this off-season.

Curufinwe

Tim Thomas in 2009.
Ryan Miller in 2010.
Tim Thomas in 2011.

Come on man! :lol

Miller in 2010... nah. The playoffs are what really matter and he didn't even get out of the first round. But since the last three Vezina winners were American and Quick might make it four in a row, the American goaltending situation is clearly better than I had realized.

Cake Boss

Banned
Canada has not developed a decent goalie since Carey Price. look at our goalies in the juniors tournament, mostly all of them were the reason why Canada has been sucking the past few years in that tournament.

With global warming I've been thinking of future expansion in Canada: Halifax Sundaes, Newfoundland and Labrador Retrievers, Atlantic Atlanteans, Not gonna have Nunavut, Yukon Chevys and Prince Edward Treasure Island. If the NHL doesn't move into these markets the KHL will. All names are trademark of Rafa=Fedkilla.

Sanjuro

... and he got his name on the Cup. I felt Savard deserved to get his name on the Cup, similarly to Gagne. Are you arguing against these guys getting their names on the Cup, or not? Did I miss something, here?

No, I was commentating on (I believe your) post that Savard only played three minutes of ice time.

Why would I argue against hurt players getting their name on the cup for contributions that season?

With global warming I've been thinking of future expansion in Canada: Halifax Sundaes, Newfoundland and Labrador Retrievers, Atlantic Atlanteans, Not gonna have Nunavut, Yukon Chevys and Prince Edward Treasure Island. If the NHL doesn't move into these markets the KHL will. All names are trademark of Rafa=Fedkilla.

Due to revenue sharing, money from these teams will be fulled into the City of Glendale Greg Jamison's bank account.

Saskatchewan Senators. Should be roughly as solvent as the Coyotes but with a better arena situation. And by law they must share a franchise name with Ottawa for no reason!

fallout

No, I was commentating on (I believe your) post that Savard only played three minutes of ice time.
I said he played 0 minutes of ice time and was implying that he still deserved his name on the Cup. The post was about Gagne, though. I was just using Savard as a recent example.

Why would I argue against hurt players getting their name on the cup for contributions that season?
I dunno, I was trying to figure out what you were going on about after the Crosby post. I think you may have misinterpreted my post as an attack on Savard or something.

To be clear, I'm in the boat that all 3 deserve it, but I don't feel terribly strongly about it.

Kings games are suddenly a place to be seen. Alyssa Milano is probably hoping this will revive her career. Alan Thicke is probably just hoping this will remind people that he exists.

Alyssa Milano had a career to revive?

Canada has not developed a decent goalie since Carey Price. look at our goalies in the juniors tournament, mostly all of them were the reason why Canada has been sucking the past few years in that tournament.

There was an article about this. The goaltending situation doesn't look good for Canada at Sochi.

Luongo has a history of melting down.
Fleury was ventilated by Philly.
Price is good but has only won one playoff series in the NHL.
Mike Smith could be a one-hit wonder, plus the Coyotes play a very stifling style.
Brodeur will be 42 in 2014.

Entropia

No One Remembers
There was an article about this. The goaltending situation doesn't look good for Canada at Sochi.

Luongo has a history of melting down.
Fleury was ventilated by Philly.
Price is good but has only won one playoff series in the NHL.
Mike Smith could be a one-hit wonder, plus the Coyotes play a very stifling style.
Brodeur will be 42 in 2014.

Cam Ward is.... Cam Ward.

Sanjuro

I said he played 0 minutes of ice time and was implying that he still deserved his name on the Cup. The post was about Gagne, though. I was just using Savard as a recent example.

I dunno, I was trying to figure out what you were going on about after the Crosby post. I think you may have misinterpreted my post as an attack on Savard or something.

To be clear, I'm in the boat that all 3 deserve it, but I don't feel terribly strongly about it.

Ah. No, I didn't take it as an attack or anything. I thought you were in the opposite camp. I feel strongly about it when it comes down to a team's star player, who has been removed from the equation due to injury.

Fei

Miller in 2010... nah. The playoffs are what really matter and he didn't even get out of the first round.

Considering the Cup Final in 2010 was Niemi vs. Leighton (lol), I think it's fair to say Miller was pretty clearly the top that year. If you go by playoffs alone (which doesn't make a ton of sense to me), you go Halak.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hey a guy can dream right. One day they have to do something to make the sport more popular.

So by calling more interference penalties, the sport will become more popular? You should have just posted "I hate the Devils" for the 80000th time instead of trying to hide it.

Revenant

So hockey is almost done
E3 just shat on me from 3 different equally putrid anuses
And work this week so far has been frustrating

Its all up to you ridley Scott. Don't piss in my eyes on Friday.

Curufinwe

So by calling more interference penalties, the sport will become more popular? You should have just posted "I hate the Devils" for the 80000th time instead of trying to hide it.

Yeah, hockey games with less interference and higher scoring attract more fans.

Marvie_3

Banned
So hockey is almost done
E3 just shat on me from 3 different equally putrid anuses
And work this week so far has been frustrating

Its all up to you ridley Scott. Don't piss in my eyes on Friday.
BUT WHAT ABOUT NINTENDO LAND???

the 2.4 and 2.2 it drew on NBC doesnt help that argument...

TNT > NBC!
Still better than a 1.4.

Doesn't matter which teams are in the Finals though. The NHL isn't going to get higher ratings than the NBA anytime soon. Game 6 in 2010 only managed a 4.7 and that was the most watched game since the 70's.

Well considering there were so many hockey fans at Microsoft's E3 this year when they announced game center for xbox, the ratings don't surprise me.

Thankfully Ubisoft saved us all this year with Watch Dogs, dang that game looks great.

Revenant

Well considering there were so many hockey fans at Microsoft's E3 this year when they announced game center for xbox, the ratings don't surprise me.

Thankfully Ubisoft saved us all this year with Watch Dogs, dang that game looks great.

Far Cry 3 also looked fun. An open ended FPS with color?! But how will I know what to do without "follow" over someones head the whole time and someone shouting Oscar mike!

New splinter cell game makes me want to weep though.

Revenant

Thats we need villains in hockey. The Montreal Canadiens are the perfect fit. The coaches and other brahs have to speak French. NBCSN could create a storyline where they play Canadian hockey and a Sunbelt team plays American hockey.Could really spark the sport.

Bettman should steal some of the WWE writers. Get some drama up in this sport.

Doc Emrick and Jim Ross on commentary...

All youd hear would be "DRIVE" and "MY GAWD" for 3 hours.

I really do think if they called more penalties it would open things up and scoring would be up which would get more fans interested in the sport. As much as I hate the Devils and think they are the worst offenders when it comes to the interference, they are far from the only team doing it.

Top Bottom