• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Taken from an HFboards poster:

Knowing that we play a boatload of back to back games where we're not rested, our forwards wisely took 49 minutes of tonight's game off.

GOOD LUCK WASHINGTON.

tumblr_llq6hsLh8F1qbzfmu.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Even though he's younger than 20?

Yeap, it has to when junior is finished though

Essentially you have to think of their junior team and NHL team as primary right holders, when a player is drafted, he's drafted to the NHL... Not the AHL.

So as long as there is a season in progress... He can only be in the NHL or his junior team

AHL teams are really affiliates, not an extension of the NHL clubs, even if it sometimes seems that way.

Montresor

Yes. The Leafs have been doing that with many of their younger prospects. For example, once Morgan Rielley's WHL season was over, he reported to the Marlies. And I believe doing that on its own doesn't burn a year off a player's ELC.

There's nothing Buffalo can do to save the first year of Grigorenko's ELC though, since they decided he made the team after his 5-game stint at the beginning of the year.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Both Staal and Dorsett on the ice at the optional morning skate today.

Still no time table for either of them, but a good sign. Starting to feel like there's a good chance both might be back for the playoffs.

Cake Boss

Banned
KUBA OUT TONIGHT
tumblr_m97sbtcX4r1qi6elk.gif

More proof how amazing Karlsson was/is.

Dragged a Kuba around on his pairing over an 82 games and still produced, enough to make Kubalook good and get a new 2 year contract, now he cant even crack the worst roster in the east.

While the other Norris nominees had a Suter and a Seidenberg on their pairing.

Solo

Habs fans, how do you feel about your team post-clinching?

Meh. They've looked like dogshit the past 2 games, and obviously if thats their new standard of play they'll be swept in Round 1.

But I have faith that Therrien will kick their asses and get them back on the path they've been on for 90% of the season. Tomorrow vs Pens has the possibility of being a big statement game for the Habs.

Canucks will need to tighten up defensively against the Blues, even if they are a low-scoring team. They gave up 38 shots to Nashville, blew two 1-goal leads against Colorado, and gave up 41 shots to Calgary. Those are the weaker teams in the conference too.

Maybe they miss Tanev.

Budaj starts against Pittsburgh.

Acid08

Banned
Canucks will need to tighten up defensively against the Blues, even if they are a low-scoring team. They gave up 38 shots to Nashville, blew two 1-goal leads against Colorado, and gave up 41 shots to Calgary. Those are the weaker teams in the conference too.

Maybe they miss Tanev.

Dang 38 shots, didn't even know Nashville was capable of that.

I am loving our third line right now. Torres-Pavelski-Wingels. Pavs really flourishes playing center instead of wing. Torres and Wingels are wrecking balls and it frees Pavs up from having to do much board play since he's too small for it and just was never very good at it.

This line is definitely better than the Mitchell-Pavelski-Wellwood line we went into the 2011 playoffs with.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hope the Habs can bounce back. Shitty goals right from the start have set them back in these games. Need to come out strong.

TUSR

Banned

Maybe they miss Tanev.

Tanev isn't going to rectify all their problems there.

Its the inability to play a 60 minute hockey game.

Socreges

Banned
Canucks might be unmotivated right now since they've been winning and leading the division despite the sloppiness. They played their best hockey when they needed to catch Minnesota.

Fei

Glad the Sabres called Grigorenko back up. I'm sure he will continue his development by being a healthy scratch...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Outshot Toronto by almost 20, lose by 2

Nothing new here
Toronto has done this all season, it's a recipe for disaster in the playoffs unless your goalie is Halak.

We've done this with several prospects this year, Archambault, Hudon, Vail, Collberg and they attempted to brin Nygren over to finish the season in the AHL.

Happy to see Budaj in, it's the right move.

Socreges

Banned
Kevin Lowe said:
"I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern."
lolz

The Edmonton Journal has already said it best, so I'll just quote them:

To be clear, Kevin Lowe is talking about Stanley Cups he won while playing with Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey and other superstars. Some players might reflect on that experience and thank their lucky stars to be along for the ride but Lowe has managed to convince himself that he possesses some ineffable quality of winningness.

The language of sports encourages this kind of thinking (how many times have you heard “he’s a winner” about a player?) but even the tiniest bit of self-reflection should be enough to put a dent in Lowe’s theory. If championships were all that mattered then Marty McSorley, with two to his name, should at least be a director of scouting, right? And if that’s still not enough, Lowe only has to look at the win/loss column recently. Either he’s not a “winner” or that term is completely meaningless.

Most of the time championships are built on a dizzy confluence of skill and luck. I can’t think of many Stanley Cups built on a staggering lack of self-awareness, but that seems to be the plan here.

Curufinwe

The Flyers could put out a pretty good defensive lineup from their players who are out for the season.

Pronger/Meszaros
Coburn/Grossman
Gervais/Huskins
Bourdon

Socreges

Banned
Frey, are the Blues basically going to become (almost) a cap team given that they have to resign:

Pietrangelo
Cole
Shattenkirk
Stewart
Berglund
Allen

?

Maybe Berglund and Allen won't get much of a raise, but the other guys? Good thing you've got $18m in cap space.

Does anyone know anything about the player the Flyers signed the other day? His name is Petr Straka, and I looked up his numbers and was stunned that they were so good.

Frey, are the Blues basically going to become (almost) a cap team given that they have to resign:

Pietrangelo
Cole
Shattenkirk
Stewart
Berglund
Allen

?

Maybe Berglund and Allen won't get much of a raise, but the other guys? Good thing you've got $18m in cap space.

Next year? High probability.

Basically betting on playoff runs and selling Peoria to finance a little more than usual.

Don't forget Andy McDonald is a UFA, and given his performance slow down this year, we'd only resign him for cheap.

Petro - 6m
Shattenkirk - 4.5m
Stewart - 4.25m
Berglund - 3m or less

Neither Stewart, Berglund or Perron are untouchable. I'd throw Oshie into that mix as well, but you have the fan favorite factor there. All have had very mediocre stretches this year, Berglund and Perron more than anyone else.

Russell and Cole are very iffy. We won't have both.

May resign Leopold given current performance (making 3m right now).

Allen is due a raise, and has no business playing in Peoria next year. So do we move Elliott? Halak?

Jaskin could easily push someone out. Rattie is a possibility as well, but a little young and smaller frame.

Lehtera will probably also be in the mix next year, played with Tarasenko in Sibir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom