• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Yikes that doesnt sound good at all.
Yeah there were nine KHL teams after him, but Philly was the only NHL team. They may have missed the memo. Apparently his father died under 'suspicious circumstances' when Straka was 12 but he was a promising hockey player so no investigation was opened.

Cake Boss

Banned
Kessel and Bryz should have a napping contest.

24933.gif

lolz

The Edmonton Journal has already said it best, so I'll just quote them:

I saw Lowe's quote yesterday and couldn't believe it. It takes some real temerity to sit atop a pile of losses and defiantly claim you know all there is about 'winning'.

Also lulzy was MacTavish getting Tambellini's job 4 years to the day that Tambellini fired him as coach.

Jachaos

Hey a new Sharks fan! Welcome dude, always nice to have someone else around to share in the eventual playoff misery ;P

Yeah last year was miserable... Hoping for epic playoffs like the two years prior. Sure quick eliminations in Conference Finals and I may be too optimistic to some on the internet, while I find them too pessimistic myself, but the games were a lot of fun to watch and we were in it. Against Vancouver, that was heart crushing, that stanchion goal, but the games were great, we even got the record for least shots against in a [playoff] game, against Vancouver (but ended up losing that one too). Playoffs to me are so awesome to live, you feel them in the air (I live in Montréal so that explains a bit but you still feel them from the all around excitement on TV, on the web and all too) and I can't wait for them to start. Memories of the comeback against the Kings are with me forever.

Jachaos

Sounds like the Joe Thornton-era to me.

Thornton Game 6 '09-February '13 isn't the same player though. A dominant force and was our Conn Smythe candidate according to pretty much anyone who watched the games a couple years ago. From his fight against Getzlaf four years ago to early this season, he might not have put up as many points as before but he was a great winner and leader like Toews, Datsyuk and others have been. Now, since early this season he's looked way worse, unmotivated, mostly static on the powerplay and back to some of his old ways. Hoping this doesn't carry into the playoffs.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah last year was miserable... Hoping for epic playoffs like the two years prior. Sure quick eliminations in Conference Finals and I may be too optimistic to some on the internet, while I find them too pessimistic myself, but the games were a lot of fun to watch and we were in it. Against Vancouver, that was heart crushing, that stanchion goal, but the games were great, we even got the record for least shots against in a [playoff] game, against Vancouver (but ended up losing that one too). Playoffs to me are so awesome to live, you feel them in the air (I live in Montréal so that explains a bit but you still feel them from the all around excitement on TV, on the web and all too) and I can't wait for them to start. Memories of the comeback against the Kings are with me forever.
Amen dude! Playoffs are always super exciting and I'm grateful we've been competitive for so long. Hoping there's still some juice left in the old guy' tanks. What do you think of the team this year?

Sanjuro

Thornton Game 6 '09-February '13 isn't the same player though. A dominant force and was our Conn Smythe candidate according to pretty much anyone who watched the games a couple years ago. From his fight against Getzlaf four years ago to early this season, he might not have put up as many points as before but he was a great winner and leader like Toews, Datsyuk and others have been. Now, since early this season he's looked way worse, unmotivated, mostly static on the powerplay and back to some of his old ways. Hoping this doesn't carry into the playoffs.

That's how I'll always remember him.

Acid08

Banned
Jumbo is shooting more now so there's that at least. Against Dallas the other day he actually shot the puck on a 2 on 1 instead of trying to force a pass when there was none. It was pretty shocking.

The playoffs are like an anus. The regular season is you rubbing your cock along the crease teasing it until you get permission to go in. Then with every win you go a little deeper until finally you release at it's deepest point.

Jachaos

Amen dude! Playoffs are always super exciting and I'm grateful we've been competitive for so long. Hoping there's still some juice left in the old guy' tanks. What do you think of the team this year?

I like the team and where we are. While Thornton, Marleau and Boyle are aging, we have a solid core in Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic along with some good complements in Wingels, Demers for example. We have many draft picks to restock the cupboard with and have signed a fair bit of free agents out of college. Nieto, Hertl and Hamilton are looking good and having Stalock, Sateri, J.P. Anderson and Grosenick for our farm teams (assuming Heemskerk is not here next season).

The current roster is inconsistent but capable of great things. I really really liked Murray and Clowe, some of my favourite players, great Sharks, but Murray was too slow and not enough for us anymore. Clowe had a lot of glorious chances but was snakebitten and got a good return for someone who probably wasn't going to get re-signed if the rumours of his contract demands are true. We've gotten faster just with these trades and the way we roll three faster lines right now reminds us of our team in '10-'11 when we had the Helicopter line of Mitchell-Pavelski-Wellwood. Plus, with Desjardins, Gomez and Sheppard/Burish on the 4th line there's also some scoring threat on the 4th line, or at least more than what we previously had.

Boyle and Thornton are underperforming right now, not sure the reason, age, injury, fatigue, coaching, I don't know, but if they can get their games back, we have a good chance in my opinion. Boyle-Irwin, Vlasic-Demers, Stuart-Braun, Tennyson-Hannan also doesn't scream cup winning D, which is what we've lacked since forever and the reason we still don't have a cup. I really like what Burns is doing at forward, he's been awesome there, wrecking havoc and being all around unconventional. But with his name back on D, our defense looks much more potent and, at least on paper, finally worthy of a cup contender.

All past playoffs' d-squads didn't cut it. Blake was getting so old he was getting run circles around him by the Blackhawks' Kane-Toews-Sharp-Hossa-Byfuglien-Ladd-etc. and the all-around play by the D was what made us an objectively worse team than the Blackhawks and Canucks. We played with emotion, pedal to the metal, but in the end just weren't a better team. Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Campbell, Sopel, the Blackhawks were just insane, and despite our regular season results, we weren't built for the playoffs as much as they were, since our D wasn't good enough and our offense carried the team enough to win games against top teams in the regular season, but when the playoff style games kicked in, the Canucks and Blackhawks depth on D was just too much.

With Burns on D along with Boyle, Stuart, Vlasic, Demers and Braun, it would look much more potent and with the way Niemi's been playing, which is that he's been winning us games instead of losing us games like he was the past two years, we've got a good shot. Thing is, Burns' playing really great on offense and I find it tough to try and break that up to put him back on defense.

Alucard

Banned
Pens and Habs tomorrow could go either way. Pens haven't looked particularly impressive but have managed to reel off four straight regardless.

Magni

Vancouver better win tonight... the IRS debited my account twice so I need something good to happen to make this day not a total mess.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Two things:

Did the podcast get recorded?

I'm on the train to Temp's house. Fuckers better be on vent tonight.
Not yet, we're still looking for another Western team fan that can do it tonight, if anyone's interested.

Pens and Habs tomorrow could go either way. Pens haven't looked particularly impressive but have managed to reel off four straight regardless.
I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, and won't be surprised if they get blown out or if they have an impressive victory. Winning doesn't matter as much at this point, as long as the team is playing well and not shitting the bed like the past 2 games.

Acid08

Banned
I like the team and where we are. While Thornton, Marleau and Boyle are aging, we have a solid core in Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic along with some good complements in Wingels, Demers for example. We have many draft picks to restock the cupboard with and have signed a fair bit of free agents out of college. Nieto, Hertl and Hamilton are looking good and having Stalock, Sateri, J.P. Anderson and Grosenick for our farm teams (assuming Heemskerk is not here next season).

The current roster is inconsistent but capable of great things. I really really liked Murray and Clowe, some of my favourite players, great Sharks, but Murray was too slow and not enough for us anymore. Clowe had a lot of glorious chances but was snakebitten and got a good return for someone who probably wasn't going to get re-signed if the rumours of his contract demands are true. We've gotten faster just with these trades and the way we roll three faster lines right now reminds us of our team in '10-'11 when we had the Helicopter line of Mitchell-Pavelski-Wellwood. Plus, with Desjardins, Gomez and Sheppard/Burish on the 4th line there's also some scoring threat on the 4th line, or at least more than what we previously had.

Boyle and Thornton are underperforming right now, not sure the reason, age, injury, fatigue, coaching, I don't know, but if they can get their games back, we have a good chance in my opinion. Boyle-Irwin, Vlasic-Demers, Stuart-Braun, Tennyson-Hannan also doesn't scream cup winning D, which is what we've lacked since forever and the reason we still don't have a cup. I really like what Burns is doing at forward, he's been awesome there, wrecking havoc and being all around unconventional. But with his name back on D, our defense looks much more potent and, at least on paper, finally worthy of a cup contender.

All past playoffs' d-squads didn't cut it. Blake was getting so old he was getting run circles around him by the Blackhawks' Kane-Toews-Sharp-Hossa-Byfuglien-Ladd-etc. and the all-around play by the D was what made us an objectively worse team than the Blackhawks and Canucks. We played with emotion, pedal to the metal, but in the end just weren't a better team. Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Campbell, Sopel, the Blackhawks were just insane, and despite our regular season results, we weren't built for the playoffs as much as they were, since our D wasn't good enough and our offense carried the team enough to win games against top teams in the regular season, but when the playoff style games kicked in, the Canucks and Blackhawks depth on D was just too much.

With Burns on D along with Boyle, Stuart, Vlasic, Demers and Braun, it would look much more potent and with the way Niemi's been playing, which is that he's been winning us games instead of losing us games like he was the past two years, we've got a good shot. Thing is, Burns' playing really great on offense and I find it tough to try and break that up to put him back on defense.

Agreed on all. Burns is such a weird case. He fills that top six hole we had but leaves a huge hole on D. The D has been doing fairly well because of Robinson but they're not getting many points. For the future we're going to need Burns back there, top D is much harder to come across than top forwards. I like Irwin but he isn't really a great partner for Boyle right now. Boyle looked pretty good when he was paired with Stuart, someone he doesn't have to bail out defensively. Braun has really regressed this season, his shots don't get through and he has been prone to tons of defensive gaffs. Agree on Murray and Clowe, some of my favorite all time Sharks but their time here was done. Was so angry at the amount of times Demers was scratched in favor of Murray.

I don't know what to expect from the draft, DW has never been shy about trading our picks so if the right deal is there for some top six offense I could see him trading those 2nds away. Hopefully the 1st is untouchable. Signing Eriah Hayes and Rylan Schwartz were great moves too.

I'd like to think that Thornton and Boyle are fatigued. Boyle probably more mentally fatigued and Thornton more physically. Rolling three scoring lines again appears to be a great move, Pavs excels at center much more than at wing. With Torres and Wingels I think that's a much better line overall than Helicopter was. But yeah consistency is still the issue as it always has been.

Jachaos

Jachaos, you know you're shit bro, stick around. The most insular community on GAF always welcomes new members.

Thanks and yeah I'll be sticking around, I'll subscribe to this thread.

Agreed on all. Burns is such a weird case. He fills that top six hole we had but leaves a huge hole on D. The D has been doing fairly well because of Robinson but they're not getting many points. For the future we're going to need Burns back there, top D is much harder to come across than top forwards. I like Irwin but he isn't really a great partner for Boyle right now. Boyle looked pretty good when he was paired with Stuart, someone he doesn't have to bail out defensively. Braun has really regressed this season, his shots don't get through and he has been prone to tons of defensive gaffs. Agree on Murray and Clowe, some of my favorite all time Sharks but their time here was done. Was so angry at the amount of times Demers was scratched in favor of Murray.

I don't know what to expect from the draft, DW has never been shy about trading our picks so if the right deal is there for some top six offense I could see him trading those 2nds away. Hopefully the 1st is untouchable. Signing Eriah Hayes and Rylan Schwartz were great moves too.

I'd like to think that Thornton and Boyle are fatigued. Boyle probably more mentally fatigued and Thornton more physically. Rolling three scoring lines again appears to be a great move, Pavs excels at center much more than at wing. With Torres and Wingels I think that's a much better line overall than Helicopter was. But yeah consistency is still the issue as it always has been.

Yep, agreed on all as well. Demers getting scratched all the time was beyond frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom