• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2017 |OT| The Previous Thread is in the Hall of Fame

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This will be the easiest chance at the CF the Habs will have had in a long time, the Rangers who've they've matched up very well against, and then one of the Leafs / Sens / Bruins. Just need Price to stay healthy and hopefully the team can keep rolling, they're heating up exactly when they need to be.

I hope Kreider gets absolutely crushed to pieces by Weber or Emelin
Seeing how the goalie interference and players going near Price during the season will be interesting, I expect him to go at a couple guys if Weber doesn't.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I just want the Leafs to clinch, that would be ril gud.

Don't give a fuck who they'll play, playoffs will be fun whether it's only 4 games or more.

imBask

Banned
I still have some hope left that the Leafs will miss the playoffs, anything is possible with them, don't let your memes be dreams

Cake Boss

Banned
C8iUrsrW0AAD4G2.jpg

NORRRIIIISSSSSSOOONNN

Cake Boss

Banned
Three rooks. All with 60 or more points.
The first group to do it since the 1980-81 Quebec Nordiques.

More reason for imbask to hate the leafs.

I kinda want a MTL Leafs series because the sheer volume of salt that usually happens in regular season games, imagine yoffs.

PillarEN

I don't remember anything about the Panthers in 2002. Was it still the Pavel Bure show (was his bro still there) at the time?

Curufinwe

He's not wrong.

Of course the the players want to go, but I wish they would drop the pretense that the NHL owners will always benefit from shutting down their league for the Olympics. The IOC benefits, and they should be paying for the costs involved. Not the NHL, and not the IIHF.

I don't remember anything about the Panthers in 2002. Was it still the Pavel Bure show (was his bro still there) at the time?

Keenan took over as coach, had a direct line to owners. Keenan blamed players for his failures. Then became GM, who hired Martin as his coach. Ran players out of town, terrible drafting missing on easy picks. Terrible coaching and meddling owners that lasted until 2008. Ruined the state of the org until Viner boutght the team portion and put in Tallon to rebuild everything in 2010. The literal dark ages of the Panthers.

Thought these owners were willing to let the hockey people do thier jobs and get the best people for their positions. Stage is set to repeat all the same mistakes.

The USA/Canada game in Vancouver was about as good as it gets. Pretty sure there were quite a few people who watched that and then never tuned into NHL games.

Cake Boss

Banned
Of course the the players want to go, but I wish they would drop the pretense that the NHL owners will always benefit from shutting down their league for the Olympics. The IOC benefits, and they should be paying for the costs involved. Not the NHL, and not the IIHF.

Didn't the IOC agree to pay for the insurance, travel costs and all that shit?

The Olympics are a good way to keep ice hockey relevant worldwide, and display the talent that in this sport. NHL are pretty short sighted, shown by the fact that they didn't even try to negotiate. They will probably want to get into China in 2022 but hopefully they get told to fuck off. The WC of Hockey is a joke too.

Anyways, Sens finally break out this slump tonight please for the love of God.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh shit, Tampa plays Boston tonight? Most important game remaining on the regular season schedule.

Peep this, game after that one is Tampa vs. Toronto.

If I'm Tampa I'm very glad that I get this opportunity to control my destiny against the two teams ahead of me.

Curufinwe

Didn't the IOC agree to pay for the insurance, travel costs and all that shit?

They paid in 2014, then said they wouldn't this time, then got the IIHF to pay for it.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/nhls-decision-not-send-players-olympics-bad-hockey/

This time around, the IOC pushed back, refusing to offer the same deal. So this is what we had: the IOC offering no money. And the NHL looking for something — something financial.

Last fall, IIHF President Rene Fasel announced his organization would step up in the IOC’s place, but the NHL balked. The league didn’t want money earmarked for developing the game worldwide to be used for this. And, even more importantly, the NHL and many of its owners wanted the money to come from the IOC directly.

The Olympics are making money off hockey and they felt very strongly the organization should pay.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
does tonight mean montreal vs NYR is set now?

There's technically like a 0.00001% chance the Rangers could climb into 3rd place in the Metro still. Here's the exact set of circumstances that would cause that to happen:

1) The Rangers go 3-0-0 in their final three games
2) All of those wins are in regulation or overtime.
3) They win those games with an average margin of victory of at least +3 per game.
4) The Blue Jackets go 0-4-0 in their final four games.
5) They lose those games with an average margin of loss of at least -3 per game.

If all of that pans out, then the Rangers and Blue Jackets would both end with 106 points and 47 ROW. Their season series had an odd number of games, so the first game in the arena with the extra home game is thrown out, leaving the teams 2-2 against each other on the season, earning 4 points each. That leaves it down to goal differential, where Columbus currently has a +20 lead over the Rangers. If the margin of victory/defeat in each of those 7 games that remain is 3, that is a 21 point swing in goal differential in the Rangers' favor, giving them third place in the Metropolitan Division.

Suffice it to say, this is not happening, so yes, Rangers-Habs is locked. :D

Yawnier

Banned
The USA/Canada game in Vancouver was about as good as it gets. Pretty sure there were quite a few people who watched that and then never tuned into NHL games.
That gold medal game was such a contrast to the Canada-Sweden one in 2014. Nobody talks about that one because it was boring af.

Curufinwe

Sam Morin was called up and likely makes his NHL debut tonight. Shame he can't knock Prout's head off since he was suspended.

That gold medal game was such a contrast to the Canada-Sweden one in 2014. Nobody talks about that one because it was boring af.
We would have lost anyway but a swedish team without H. Sedin, Zetterberg and Bäckström had zero presence in the middle. Our last chance went down with Bäckström.
Edit: I havent said anything about the Olympics yet, but I have to say that this is incredibly stupid by the NHL. There is no better way to grow the game world wide than participation in international tournaments. And in the grand schema of thing the World Cup is never going to mean much outside of NA. Tournaments with the primary purpose to make money will stay gimmicks.

I hope that the national federations will use this against the NHL when they are negotiating player rights. This hurts the sport in so many ways.

And I hope (but doesnt seem probable) that some players decide to go anyway.

PillarEN

Reviews seem to be extremely different from each other. Well, that sure makes it easier to decide whether to buy or not.

Instead NBC still freaks out over TJ Oshie's game against Russia.
We didn't even medal, nor did Russia. :lol

I enjoy the Olympics, unlike the gimmick that is the World Cup. We can't even come up with enough countries so we have a young guns team. Which is fun to watch, but also sad.

yyzjohn

Banned
Peep this, game after that one is Tampa vs. Toronto.

If I'm Tampa I'm very glad that I get this opportunity to control my destiny against the two teams ahead of me.

It's alot to ask of Tampa with both games on the road. Leafs game they'll have an advantage since it's 3 games in 4 nights for Leafs on Thursday but it's still a lot to ask.

I won't criticize you for liking a poorly review game, but I will exercise my GOD/FSM-given right to shitpost about it constantly.

Yawnier

Banned
Eugh I wanted Yooka Laylee to be good since there are so few 3D mascot platformers that are developed nowadays. I'll get to it whenever it goes on sale later on this year but my expectations are low

Top Bottom