• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Quick

Banned
Work was dead during the deadline last year that I just had it playing on my phone while I was filing paperwork.

It was a pretty productive day, funny enough.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind the jokes, but last year was fucking terrible, and TSN especially thought it was pertinent to fill dead air with dumb bullshit. And it looks like they are doubling down on it again this year.

What matters is ANNOUNCING TRADES. Not hyping a fucking t-shirt cannon duel with Marty 'Retired after getting owned by Tomas Hertl' Biron and Jennifer Hedger.

Again, if you want a good trade deadline show, ape what the Vertical did for the NBA this year.

What else are they going to show?

They just air Sportscentre or Sportsnet Connected all day anyway, unless darts or poker is on.

What else are they going to show?

They just air Sportscentre or Sportsnet Connected all day anyway, unless darts or poker is on.

Then prevent this problem by doing what The Vertical did. Make the show two hours, and start an hour before the deadline. Then you completely stop this unnecessary crap and you can focus on breaking trades.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Then prevent this problem by doing what The Vertical did. Make the show two hours, and start an hour before the deadline. Then you completely stop this unnecessary crap and you can focus on breaking trades.

If they want to waste money paying all of these people to be there all day what difference does it make?

Just don't tune in until an hour before the deadline and you won't know any different.

I don't see why it's a problem unless there's some other sporting event you'd rather be watching that they have the rights to, or unless you want to watch Sportscentre all day.

Solo

For real.....what was the appeal of Martin Hanzal anyway, size-aside? Granted, I'm coming from a place of ignorance as someone who never watches Arizona, but the stats show me a career 0.5 ppg player, a career high of 41 points, and a guy who hasn't played more than 65 games in a season since 2010. What am I missing? Is he a shutdown guy?

Line_HTX

Amazed people actually still watch the Academy shit show. Their track record of awarding soon forgotten films and soon forgotten performances is peerless, but people keep returning to drink it in. Must be the nice outfits.

Yep. Glad I skipped it. It's also very pointless to have the Animation category in there if all it does is guaranteed to go to Disney.

VcKrfCJ.gif

Socreges

Banned
For real.....what was the appeal of Martin Hanzal anyway, size-aside? Granted, I'm coming from a place of ignorance as someone who never watches Arizona, but the stats show me a career 0.5 ppg player, a career high of 41 points, and a guy who hasn't played more than 65 games in a season since 2010. What am I missing? Is he a shutdown guy?
Good at faceoffs. Not good defensively.

So, by end tomorrow, these guys should be playing elsewhere:

- Radim Vrbata, UFA after the season, making only $1m, 46 points this year, should fit somewhere

- Shane Doan, UFA after the season, hasn't had a great season, but the only right thing the Coyotes could do is get him to a contender if one will have him, even if it's for a bag of chips in return.

- Take anything anyone would be willing to give for Connauton and Schenn. No one will want to give up anything for these guys.

After that's done, just wallow in despair as there's nothing else that can be done to save this train wreck of an organization.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I used to take off work/school to watch trade deadline

Likewise, back when trades actually happened on the deadline. When it started to die off I eventually knew better and just went to work.

I also don't get the hate. Really what else would be going on during that time? Reruns of the morning recap shows, darts and maybe some pool? Makes sense for them to try to fill the time with hockey "discussion" that people will more tune in to.

Cactus

Banned
So basically he got a king's ransom for Arizona for no other reason than the deadline. Goddamn. So fucking happy Bergevin didn't pull that trigger.

If he wasn't injured all the time, he'd probably be a 4- or 5-time 20 goal scorer. But yeah, faceoffs, size, net presence, goals. Great depth player for a cup run, but not worth 1/2/4 picks.

Cactus

Banned
To my fellow office-dwelling Canadians, what's a decent price for a non-iron dress shirt? Been at my current job for about a year on contract, and it's looking like I might stick, so I want to update the wardrobe. I'm kind of totally lost when it comes to pricing, though.

To my fellow Canadians, what's a decent price for a non-iron dress shirt? Been at my current job for about a year on contract, and it's looking like I might stick, so I want to update the wardrobe. I'm kind of totally lost when it comes to pricing, though.

$70-90?

Quick

Banned
To my fellow office-dwelling Canadians, what's a decent price for a non-iron dress shirt? Been at my current job for about a year on contract, and it's looking like I might stick, so I want to update the wardrobe. I'm kind of totally lost when it comes to pricing, though.

H&M has easy-iron shirts for $19, if you're willing to compromise.

Otherwise, check out Mark's.

Line_HTX

Likewise, back when trades actually happened on the deadline. When it started to die off I eventually knew better and just went to work.

I also don't get the hate. Really what else would be going on during that time? Reruns of the morning recap shows, darts and maybe some pool? Makes sense for them to try to fill the time with hockey "discussion" that people will more tune in to.

The shows you make are boring and SHIT!

6aRBX8Z.png

Solo

No changes to the Habs lineup tonight. Sticking with a winning formula. I think its just a matter of time til AGally moves back up to the top line though. He's got 2 more points than Danault in 21 less games played.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Forsberg rightfully claiming his place as 1st star of the week. He's been on fire in February.

Wish he were a bit more consistent and less streaky, but I can't complain too much.

Merguson

Banned
this bishop trade just reminds me of burke's inability to acquire any sort of starting goaltender

he could make good trades but just sucked at evaluating goalies

like look at the return for bishop.. surely your tandem of elliott and johnson should get you to outbid that right?

edit: he's not the GM in Calgary but still the boss

Foggy

BJs claim Zac Delpe from Minny. A depth center move so I'm sure they're not going to do much before the deadline other than try to find a cheap depth defenseman.

Solo

Budaj got friendzoned hard in that trade. Takes the Kings to prom, where Kings promptly ditch him to go fuck the prom king in the bathroom.

Solo

How did I miss the hilarity that the first Subban/Weber meeting in Montreal is the first game after the trade deadline?

So, by end tomorrow, these guys should be playing elsewhere:

- Radim Vrbata, UFA after the season, making only $1m, 46 points this year, should fit somewhere

- Shane Doan, UFA after the season, hasn't had a great season, but the only right thing the Coyotes could do is get him to a contender if one will have him, even if it's for a bag of chips in return.

- Take anything anyone would be willing to give for Connauton and Schenn. No one will want to give up anything for these guys.

After that's done, just wallow in despair as there's nothing else that can be done to save this train wreck of an organization.

I know the feels mane. Offering platonic bro hugs of dude brotherhood.

Parch

I like the deadline shows. The recaps. The retrospectives. The strained looks on people's faces.
They usually spend several hours daily rambling on about hockey so making deadline day a multi-hour affair isn't really much of a stretch. I think them whining about sitting there talking about nothing is part of the schtick.

Socreges

Banned
How come Weber's production slowed so dramatically after the first ~20 games? Has anything changed?

Subban meanwhile has 12 points in 9 games

😳

Top Bottom