• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Back to back losses to the two worst teams in the league. Kinda feel like in any other organization there'd be consequences, but I'm sure Pegula will just continue to hide from the media and keep things as they are.

Socreges

Banned
Trade everyone. Let draft picks take the ice. Fuck it. Nothing matters anymore.
Do you agree with Doan that trading Hanzal was a mistake? That it doesn't make sense?

Seems to me that Doan is still under the illusion that the team can compete before he retires and he doesn't want them to go any deeper into a rebuild. You hitched your cart yourself there, Shane

Socreges

Banned
Watching Nixon By Nixon right now and holy shit the amount of parallels to Trump is incredible...

Fascinating doc on its own. Nixon was a massive fucking asshole

Marvie_3

Banned
Swung by Nintendo NY this weekend because they had Breath of the Wild on their 15ft gaming screen. Soooooooo good.

Watching Nixon By Nixon right now and holy shit the amount of parallels to Trump is incredible...

Fascinating doc on its own. Nixon was a massive fucking asshole
One of the biggest understatements ive ever seen in this thread.

Quick

Banned
Woooo the better movie won at the end!!

The good guys win!!

Fuck yes.

KingBroly probably fucking fuming right now.

Haven't seen Moonlight yet (theatre showtimes have been sparse for it or I haven't had the time) but I was happy with La La Land.

But I'm also glad that Moonlight took it in the end. And in such a crazy way.

Quick

Banned
Moonlight and La La Land were neck and neck for me for my second favorite movie of the year (OJ Made in America being my favorite) but I ended up liking La La Land more. I did want Moonlight to win though since I really don't care about Oscar winners and it would have been nice to see a win for a more diverse movie. It's the ridiculous hate boner that a subsection of GAF has for La La Land that really annoys me.

The Oscar thread also pushed me over the hump to finally put Cake Boss on ignore, so some good came out of it at least.

I'd agree with you on one end that La La Land gets a lot of hate here on GAF, undeserved in some instances.

However, people do make a good point that it was basically another movie where Hollywood gets to jerk off to itself. I'm glad that the Academy made a more daring choice with Moonlight instead of going with the safe pick of La La Land.

Do you agree with Doan that trading Hanzal was a mistake? That it doesn't make sense?

Seems to me that Doan is still under the illusion that the team can compete before he retires and he doesn't want them to go any deeper into a rebuild. You hitched your cart yourself there, Shane

I think that Shane believed in the young guys this season, and that the front office sold him on the idea of being a leader for the new generation of players and to believe in the process.

I think this is a clear wake up call for him that he's never going to play in another playoff game unless he's traded. That interview, you could see the trust that was broken. I think he still believed they'd have a chance.

The tam is going nowhere. So if they want to rebuild hard, then that's fine. I don't think the trade is a mistake.

But now that you've done this, go all the way with it. Smith, Doan, Vrbata, all of them should go.

Socreges

Banned
Queso, got it. Tough season for sure after so much promise.

So what the hell happened at the end of the Oscars? Video?

Just saw. Gonna go read the thread and laugh

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just read about/saw the Oscars news. That's insane. What an embarrassment, you have to feel so bad for the La La Land folks there were up on stage celebrating and giving speeches. Crazy.

Quick

Banned
Just read about/saw the Oscars news. That's insane. What an embarrassment, you have to feel so bad for the La La Land folks there were up on stage celebrating and giving speeches. Crazy.

They took it like a champ, particularly the dude who made the announcement.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If the playoffs started right now:

Maple Leafs @ Capitals
Blue Jackets @ Penguins
Rangers @ Canadiens
Bruins @ Senators

Blues @ Wild
Predators @ Blackhawks
Flames @ Sharks
Oilers @ Ducks

Quick

Banned
Maple Leafs @ Capitals

60309986.jpg

Cake Boss

Banned
Moonlight and La La Land were neck and neck for me for my second favorite movie of the year (OJ Made in America being my favorite) but I ended up liking La La Land more. I did want Moonlight to win though since I really don't care about Oscar winners and it would have been nice to see a win for a more diverse movie. It's the ridiculous hate boner that a subsection of GAF has for La La Land that really annoys me.

The Oscar thread also pushed me over the hump to finally put Cake Boss on ignore, so some good came out of it at least.

YESSSSSS wooooooooooo. Best thing I did in a while 😊

Forza alt really emotional about a movie wow.

User33 is actually a Forza alt

C5rEdssWcAAWE6s.jpg

PillarEN

Missed most of the Best Picture noms this year. Only saw Manchester a few days ago and Moonlight is only playing in the independent theaters here so it's tough to schedule around them at times. I'd love to see OJ in America though really bad. That one simply wasn't going to be shown here so it's a matter of waiting for a home release in the CZ or catching it when I move back to the States later this year.

Cake Boss

Banned
Lol Pierre McGuire can't believe Arizona didn't get more for Hanzal, he's "flabbergasted" as to why they didn't get one of Minnisotta top prospects for him (Greenway, Eriksson, kunin)

Foggy

Amazed people actually still watch the Academy shit show. Their track record of awarding soon forgotten films and soon forgotten performances is peerless, but people keep returning to drink it in. Must be the nice outfits.

Solo

LMAO @ yet another year where the Sportsnet/TSN blowhards will have fucking nothing to talk about for 12 straight self-indulgent hours of foolishness.

LMAO @ yet another year where the Sportsnet/TSN blowhards will have fucking nothing to talk about for 12 straight self-indulgent hours of foolishness.

TSN and Sportsnet need to make these shows shorter, we don't need another 4 hours after after the deadline

I know definitely that Duchene will not be traded on Wednesday. He's probably gone at the draft. Landeskog might be traded though.

I do know one thing: Montreal needs another Center and Defenceman

xqSDZDY.jpg

9:00AM: "Now, it is sill early. If you look back on past trade dealines, you'll see that only 5% of trades happen between 8-10am..."
10:30AM: "Let's recap yesterday's big trades."
11:30AM: "Remember Ron Francis going to the Penguins in 1991?"
12:13PM: "BREAKING NEWS: Roman Polak has been traded to the Chicago Blackhawks for a conditional 7th round pick in the 2020 draft."
12:30PM: "Roman Polak is such a gutsy, rugged defenceman that's really going to add a lot of depth to Chicago's blueline. That's what you need in the playoffs."
12:56PM: "Let's talk again about the conditional 7th for Roman Polak, because that pick could end up being a huge piece in Toronto's puzzle."
3:00PM: "The trade deadline is officially over but we're still waiting for more trade calls to come in. It's not unusual!"
3:45PM: "Let's look at the total dollar amounts of contracts that have been traded today while we're still waiting for trades to trickle in. Roman Polak made that much, huh?"
3:59PM: "Bob, any trade calls still coming in?"

TSN and Sportsnet need to make these shows shorter, we don't need another 4 hours after after the deadline

I know definitely that Duchene will not be traded on Wednesday. He's probably gone at the draft. Landeskog might be traded though.

I do know one thing: Montreal needs another Center and Defenceman

What they need to do is stop having them all together. Trade deadline shows are redundant in the age of Twitter and instant verification. When TSN especially is hyping up a fucking showdown with a t-shirt cannon, you know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

If they are going to do a Trade Deadline show, then do it like The Vertical did for the NBA trade deadline. No bullshit, and keep it short.

imBask

Banned
i'm less of a grump than you guys on that one, I love the trade deadline shows... when there are actual trades happening

i'm less of a grump than you guys on that one, I love the trade deadline shows... when there are actual trades happening

I don't mind the jokes, but last year was fucking terrible, and TSN especially thought it was pertinent to fill dead air with dumb bullshit. And it looks like they are doubling down on it again this year.

What matters is ANNOUNCING TRADES. Not hyping a fucking t-shirt cannon duel with Marty 'Retired after getting owned by Tomas Hertl' Biron and Jennifer Hedger.

Again, if you want a good trade deadline show, ape what the Vertical did for the NBA this year.

Merguson

Banned
I didn't watch all of it but the Vertical had the right idea for the NBA. A 2 hour show that starts 1 hour before the trade deadline.

Yawnier

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/xqSDZDY.jpg[img]

9:00AM: "Now, it is sill early. If you look back on past trade dealines, you'll see that only 5% of trades happen between 8-10am..."
10:30AM: "Let's recap yesterday's big trades."
11:30AM: "Remember Ron Francis going to the Penguins in 1991?"
12:13PM: "BREAKING NEWS: Roman Polak has been traded to the Chicago Blackhawks for a conditional 7th round pick in the 2020 draft."
12:30PM: "Roman Polak is such a gutsy, rugged defenceman that's really going to add a lot of depth to Chicago's blueline. That's what you need in the playoffs."
12:56PM: "Let's talk again about the conditional 7th for Roman Polak, because that pick could end up being a huge piece in Toronto's puzzle."
3:00PM: "The trade deadline is officially over but we're still waiting for more trade calls to come in. It's not unusual!"
3:45PM: "Let's look at the total dollar amounts of contracts that have been traded today while we're still waiting for trades to trickle in. Roman Polak made that much, huh?"
3:59PM: "Bob, any trade calls still coming in?"[/QUOTE]
Lawd this is way too accurate

nubcake

Neo Member
Erne and Gourde have been called up. Could just be covering for the 8500th injuries of the season, or perhaps they're being called up because someone else is about to be moved via trade.

Top Bottom