• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
marchenko will play thursday

oh, and matthews said he was trying to do the bank pass because it worked in practice.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If the playoffs started right now...

Panthers @ Capitals
Blue Jackets @ Penguins
Rangers @ Canadiens
Maple Leafs @ Senators

Flames @ Wild
Blues @ Blackhawks
Predators @ Sharks
Ducks @ Oilers

EDIT: Just saw the replay of the OT on TV. I knew Sam would be losing his mind over that Price save with 2 seconds to go. :D

l7fx1SD.jpg

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
hell no I honestly think I am just irritated that Laine doesnt get his due. I'm sorry but Laine is just a better player than Matthews however they talk up Matthews and stroke his cock the entire time. I get he is American in their market but Laine is just as good if not better

Not sure what universe you're from, Laine was being compared to Lemieux 20 games into his career.

Anyways, Leafs need Anderson to be better if they're going to have any chance to make the playoffs. Four goals on 20 shots is simply not acceptable from a starting goalie making with his kind of contract.

Quick

Banned
Throwing some AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS for tonight's game.

Bless this mess of a team.

3o6Mbn7u5nJoYoW45a.gif

hell no I honestly think I am just irritated that Laine doesnt get his due. I'm sorry but Laine is just a better player than Matthews however they talk up Matthews and stroke his cock the entire time. I get he is American in their market but Laine is just as good if not better

Delete this nephew.

Socreges

Banned
Not sure what universe you're from, Laine was being compared to Lemieux 20 games into his career.
Laine definitely gets high praise, but I think his point is that Matthews, in comparison, gets more love. Which is true, but that's really just a symptom of the Leafs being the focal point for Rogers and Bell.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rough game, but hopefully the win can give them the confidence boost they've been lacking. Price is definitely back which is good news, AGally just needs to find himself again.

If Price asks for 8 figures I'll pack his bags myself.
If you think Price is making anything less than $9 M + then you might as well start packing his shit now. 10+ seems to be the assumption, anything less is a discount which he does not owe the franchise in any way.

Laine would be the 4th best rookie on the Leafs

:>
Sad part is I can't tell if you're trolling or not anymore

If the playoffs started right now...

Panthers @ Capitals
Blue Jackets @ Penguins
Rangers @ Canadiens
Maple Leafs @ Senators

Flames @ Wild
Blues @ Blackhawks
Predators @ Sharks
Ducks @ Oilers

EDIT: Just saw the replay of the OT on TV. I knew Sam would be losing his mind over that Price save with 2 seconds to go. :D

l7fx1SD.jpg

I like those Match Ups

ZeroGravity

Going to be interesting with Yzerman's decision on trading Bishop or not. He's carried the team back within striking distance of a playoff spot.

Cake Boss

Banned
That was a great OT. During that sequence he actually would had a more elevated shot if he tried to one time slap shot instead of holding it and settling it down and going for the wrister.

Maybe I am just so use to Hoffbae in a similar position just rifling it no matter what the state of the puck is.

Solo

If you think Price is making anything less than $9 M + then you might as well start packing his shit now. 10+ seems to be the assumption, anything less is a discount which he does not owe the franchise in any way.

No goalie is worth that much. And history shows that you don't need the best goalie in the world to win a cup. Shit, looking at recent cup winners, the only one I can come up with in the past decade who had arguably the best goalie in the world at the time was Boston. You can't have a sieve back there obviously, but as far as winning a cup, a solid goalie making $6-7M a year works just as fine as a $10M+ a year guy.

Frankly I'm not even sure Price wants to stay anyway. I could see him riding off into the California sunset with a dumptruck of cash. And I couldn't blame him.

Reckheim

No goalie is worth that much. And history shows that you don't need the best goalie in the world to win a cup. Shit, looking at recent cup winners, the only one I can come up with in the past decade who had arguably the best goalie in the world at the time was Boston. You can't have a sieve back there obviously, but as far as winning a cup, a solid goalie making $6-7M a year works just as fine as a $10M+ a year guy.

Frankly I'm not even sure Price wants to stay anyway.

If you don't give him 8+ minimum he isn't staying anyways. Plenty of teams out there willing to pay more than that for him.

Why wouldn't he want to stay?

imBask

Banned
i'm his #1 fan, I have 1 frame on my bedroom wall and it's one of Carey Price, I was defending him the whole way through the Halak thing and I still think he's the best goalie in the world

but we have to trade him next year.

Solo

Why wouldn't he want to stay?

Dude has been through the ringer in Montreal. First it was people bitching when he was a young guy who liked to have fun and party. Then it was because he had a sophomore slump. Then it was when he lost his job and everyone said to trade him. Then it was the fallout from throwing his arms up and "chill out". Then it was the injury. Now it's the bad stretch he had this year. Dude has been under the microscope and underappreciated his whole career in Montreal. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted a change or to play for a contender when his contract is up.

And throwing a goalie a 7 year, $70M+ contract gives me the chills. I think I'd okay up to $9M a year, for services rendered in the past, but if we get into $10M-$12M a year.....ehhhhh

Also, Pacioretty's next contract will be scary too....he's underpaid now so he's going to get a huge raise. Sadly it'll come at exactly the moment that a player's production typically falls off.

Foggy

Frankly I'm not even sure Price wants to stay anyway. I could see him riding off into the California sunset with a dumptruck of cash. And I couldn't blame him.

That's all well and good, but where are you going to find a $6-7M goalie. Say Price walks, you think Fleury or Bishop or whoever is gonna get you the cup?

Solo

That's all well and good, but where are you going to find a $6-7M goalie. Say Price walks, you think Fleury or Bishop or whoever is gonna get you the cup?

I think no goalie is getting this team the cup as it is right now. The team isn't a legit contender no matter who is in the crease.

Would I rather have the current team with Price, or a team with another legit top 4 D, another legit top 2 C, another 1-2 top 6 wingers, and Fleury or Bishop? Definitely the latter.

Foggy

I think no goalie is getting this team the cup as it is right now. The team isn't a legit contender no matter who is in the crease.

Realistically though, we're talking maybe a $2M swing in terms of keeping him or trading him. $7M preferred, but not $9M. I don't think that $2M in savings is a real dealbreaker. You can look at teams that got the cup without a top 3 goalie, but show me those teams that don't have a couple bad contracts. Show some foresight with a couple of those less desirable contracts and all of a sudden an extra sack of cash allocated toward a star goaltender evens things out.

Whatever extra premium you pay for Price, you make up for shrewd acquisitions and contract management. I mean, that's the job, right? Keep/get stars, manage everything else in between.

Edit: In Blue Jackets bye week news, PLDubust has 14g 15a in 18 games since being traded in the QMJHL. Vitaly Abramov has 43g 44a in 56 games. Good for 2nd in goals and 2nd in points.

imBask

Banned
Realistically though, we're talking maybe a $2M swing in terms of keeping him or trading him. $7M preferred, but not $9M. I don't think that $2M in savings is a real dealbreaker. You can look at teams that got the cup without a top 3 goalie, but show me those teams that don't have a couple bad contracts. Show some foresight with a couple of those less desirable contracts and all of a sudden an extra sack of cash allocated toward a star goaltender evens things out.

Whatever extra premium you pay for Price, you make up for shrewd acquisitions and contract management. I mean, that's the job, right? Keep/get stars, manage everything else in between.

in the case of a 2M swing, I agree with you

but I actually, truly believe he's getting 11-12M

Solo

Well it'll depend on the rest of this year and next year too. His performance this year hasn't warranted $11-12M or anything close. Say his current performance holds steady the rest of this year and next. In such a scenario no one is paying him that much.

PillarEN

If you are a goalie that plays at a level to be nominated for a Hart then I wouldn't mind dropping 10 mil on a goalie. At the very least must be consistently a Vezina finalist during the duration of those high paying years.

Line_HTX

Media dick sucking has more value unfortunately.

Media dick sucking has more value unfortunately.

Laine gets about as much press as you'd expect for a guy who plays in a tiny market on a bad-to-average team. It's silly to expect he would get more press attention than the other really good rookie playing for the massively popular team in a significantly larger market.

The real scandal anyway is Sheifele. If he was in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto, he'd the next Toews/Thornton/etc.

Merguson

Banned
Laine gets about as much press as you'd expect for a guy who plays in a tiny market on a bad-to-average team. It's silly to expect he would get more press attention than the other really good rookie playing for the massively popular team in a significantly larger market.

The real scandal anyway is Sheifele. If he was in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto, he'd the next Toews/Thornton/etc.

hey at least Babcock is trying to give free press

“Scheifele is, in my opinion, one of the best centres in the league,” Babcock said. “He’s a real hockey player.”

Cactus

Banned
Laine hasn't been nearly as valuable as Matthews this season. Yeah, he's a dynamic offensive player with a gamebreaking shot, but he hasn't done shit for the Jets. The team hasn't improved at all with him in the lineup. I'm not saying he's to blame for his team's shortcomings, but part of being the most valuable rookie is having an immediate positive impact on your team. The Leafs were expected to be bottom dwellers this season, and they're right in the playoff hunt with Matthews leading the way. Jets will finish the season with about the same record as last year.

Cake Boss

Banned
Laine hasn't been nearly as valuable as Matthews this season. Yeah, he's a dynamic offensive player with a gamebreaking shot, but he hasn't done shit for the Jets. The team hasn't improved at all with him in the lineup. I'm not saying he's to blame for his team's shortcomings, but part of being the most valuable rookie is having an immediate positive impact on your team. The Leafs were expected to be bottom dwellers this season, and they're right in the playoff hunt with Matthews leading the way. Jets will finish the season with about the same record as last year.

Yeah it's Laine's fault that his team is coached by a dumbass that can't instill a system to save his life or instill a defensive system even with great dman in his disposal, yeah it's Laine fault that the goaltending can't even be average and has been shit most of all season, it's Laine's fault that the team doesn't know how to kill a penalty or keeps taking dumbshit penalties.

The guy is outscoring everyone in his class, what else do you want from him, he can't take a faceoff for you because he ain't a center.

Cactus

Banned
Yeah it's Laine's fault that his team is coached by a dumbass that can't instill a system to save his life or instill a defensive system even with great dman in his disposal, yeah it's Laine fault that the goaltending can't even be average and has been shit most of all season, it's Laine's fault that the team doesn't know how to kill a penalty or keeps taking dumbshit penalties.

The guy is outscoring everyone in his class, what else do you want from him, he can't take a faceoff for you because he ain't a center.

Like I said, I don't blame any of that stuff on him. He's an excellent rookie. He has one of the best shots in the league at 19 years old. I just don't think he's done as much for his team as Matthews has. I wouldn't even be mad if he wins the Calder. He deserves it. I just think (so far) Matthews deserves it more.

imBask

Banned
I can't wait for the
"THE CALDER DOESN'T MEAN SHIT ANYWAY LOL"
or the
"SUCK IT JEST WOOOO CALDER WOOO"

either way, we all lose. Leafs fans suck

Top Bottom