• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Real or not, you had the Leafs at the bottom of the league again this season. Even said they'd have to draft 1st overall for two years. (last year and this year) You've also predicted that Nylander would be a huge bust, so really your prediction record kind of sucks.

Edit: I can provide Socreges level references to support my claims

wSGOQxG.jpg

Please. I need the laugh.

Socreges

Banned
Someone said Laine looks like Buffalo Bill. Pillar's post was a deep-cut reference to Silence of the Lambs. The song that Buffalo Bill dances to in the movie is Goodbye Horses by Q Lazarus. The chorus is "Goodbye horses, I'm flying over you."
After the Trappist-1 post. K that's pretty good

Samyy

What is happening in this thread o_o

Also the Trappist-1 shit is just depressing, 40 light years is too damn far. Stupid physics and its stupid rules!

Socreges

Banned
Leafs have made the playoffs? Isn't it a bit premature to be calling imbask out?

In future, please first consult the Official Post History Dickslap Handbook.

calder

I must have missed some news because every time I see Trappist I'm like those weirdo monks have a planet AND kickass cheese what.

All this Laine-Matthews talk, and here I am wondering what the Canucks would look like if they didn't sweep a late-season California road trip to finish out of the bottom two. They probably would've lost the lottery anyway.

damn.. i would have loved to see Laine play for Vancouver (my fave team when i was a kid in early 90s). would have been super nostalgic.. and him maybe playing with the Sedins, interesting thought.

Like I said, I don't blame any of that stuff on him. He's an excellent rookie. He has one of the best shots in the league at 19 years old. I just don't think he's done as much for his team as Matthews has. I wouldn't even be mad if he wins the Calder. He deserves it. I just think (so far) Matthews deserves it more.

he's not even 19! he's still 18. and seriously, how much more could he do for the team, a point per game and being second in the entire league with 30 goals (even ahead of his hero Ovechkin) AND having a good +/- stat isn't enough? when the team's goalies let in 3-5 goals every goddamn game it's kind of difficult to win, unless you score a hat trick every game.. i am kind of disappointed he doesn't though, i admit.

nice humility to hear from babs

hopefully leivo's proved himself enough to stay in

I agree that's a good thing to hear and surprisingly honest. Usually you'll get something like "well we knew what we had but we were just waiting for the right opportunity", in this case he's basically saying "yeah we were wrong about Leivo, whoops."

calder

Fine. The Leafs will win a Cup within the next 5 years. Please bookmark this and bitch slap me in 2022.

Oh God what have I done. You bastards shamed me into this.

Good god man look at the long, long line of *very* good teams that don't win the Cup. That's bold. Think about a Sharks fan 5 years ago looking at their elite AF squad and the confidence they'd have felt in that prediction... and frankly the Leafs ain't exactly the 2009 Sharks. The way it is now if you're going into a season with a team you can confidently predict will be one of the top 3 in the league I think they will be around 20% to win the Cup. Las Vegas (not the team) can probably tell you more accurately, maybe it's around 30% but that feels too high.

This is all tied into my long held and quite realistic belief that it's doubtful my team will win the Cup in my lifetime (even if they weren't sub-par for the last half decade). Just statistically it's doubtful. Luckily I have Team Canada to fill the championship gap. ;)

EDIT: also, important to note that my incredibly low expectations are still somehow not being met by this jackass team. What the fuck, I entered this fandom NEVER expecting to actually win and they manage to underwhelm. Listening to Hockey Central on the way home and vomiting at the panel of fucking experts talking about how great Maurice is and how he's close and he deserves another shot is bracing me for more of the same next season.

Was just playing some NHL 17 at Columbus. The fans were chanting "Let's go Blue Jackets!" Is this accurate? You'd think they'd tried to shorten it to "Jackets" or "Jacks," like the Lightning fans chant "Let's go Bolts!"

Just something I found interesting.

I worry that ownership will ask Chevy 'wtf' and Chevy will say it's a process / bad goalies / injury to Myers and that's why we need to extend Maurice for 8 years.

yyzjohn

Banned
Good god man look at the long, long line of *very* good teams that don't win the Cup. That's bold. Think about a Sharks fan 5 years ago looking at their elite AF squad and the confidence they'd have felt in that prediction... and frankly the Leafs ain't exactly the 2009 Sharks. The way it is now if you're going into a season with a team you can confidently predict will be one of the top 3 in the league I think they will be around 20% to win the Cup. Las Vegas (not the team) can probably tell you more accurately, maybe it's around 30% but that feels too high.

This is all tied into my long held and quite realistic belief that it's doubtful my team will win the Cup in my lifetime (even if they weren't sub-par for the last half decade). Just statistically it's doubtful. Luckily I have Team Canada to fill the championship gap. ;)

EDIT: also, important to note that my incredibly low expectations are still somehow not being met by this jackass team. What the fuck, I entered this fandom NEVER expecting to actually win and they manage to underwhelm. Listening to Hockey Central on the way home and vomiting at the panel of fucking experts talking about how great Maurice is and how he's close and he deserves another shot is bracing me for more of the same next season.

The vets will wake up by then.

calder

Dreger just saying the Sens would be willing to add their first rounder in a potential deal which makes me wonder why most teams aren't saying the same. Everyone says this draft is mediocre at the top and shit shortly after the top 3 at best so why would any non lottery team be hesitant to give up picks.

Dreger just saying the Sens would be willing to add their first rounder in a potential deal which makes me wonder why most teams aren't saying the same. Everyone says this draft is mediocre at the top and shit shortly after the top 3 at best so why would any non lottery team be hesitant to give up picks.

Likely to swing a deal with Vegas for expansion

Cake Boss

Banned

Where do you see this fams.

calder

Rewatching Sicario, what a good movie. Every line of dialogue is fantastic, love how the throwaway lines have extra impact once you know where it's all going.

"No lawyers on this train" indeed.

Holiday

Banned
Rewatching Sicario, what a good movie. Every line of dialogue is fantastic, love how the throwaway lines have extra impact once you know where it's all going.

"No lawyers on this train" indeed.

Great movie. The music is perfect for capturing that sinister mood, too.

Top Bottom