• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

I can't wait for the
"THE CALDER DOESN'T MEAN SHIT ANYWAY LOL"
or the
"SUCK IT JEST WOOOO CALDER WOOO"

either way, we all lose. Leafs fans suck

Well, really, the Calder doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Like, Jeff Skinner won it and he hasn't had as good a season since. Barret Jackman won it over Zetterberg. How good was Sergei Samsonov's career? It's a feather in the cap, nothing more.

imBask

Banned
Well, really, the Calder doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Like, Jeff Skinner won it and he hasn't had as good a season since. Barret Jackman won it over Zetterberg. How good was Sergei Samsonov's career? It's a feather in the cap, nothing more.

yeah keep that in mind when Matthews win it, i'm sure your fellow Leafs fans will hold the same discourse and there won't be any fellatio invitation thrown around

calder

Laine hasn't been nearly as valuable as Matthews this season. Yeah, he's a dynamic offensive player with a gamebreaking shot, but he hasn't done shit for the Jets. The team hasn't improved at all with him in the lineup. I'm not saying he's to blame for his team's shortcomings, but part of being the most valuable rookie is having an immediate positive impact on your team. The Leafs were expected to be bottom dwellers this season, and they're right in the playoff hunt with Matthews leading the way. Jets will finish the season with about the same record as last year.

All that has absolutely nothing to do with Calder voting at all. Can't believe that MVP bullshit has spread to other awards.

Reckheim

Laine gets about as much press as you'd expect for a guy who plays in a tiny market on a bad-to-average team. It's silly to expect he would get more press attention than the other really good rookie playing for the massively popular team in a significantly larger market.

The real scandal anyway is Sheifele. If he was in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto, he'd the next Toews/Thornton/etc.

This I agree with.

The comparison between Matthews and Laine is equally as dumb as the crosby/ovechkin narrative. Wish media would drop it, they are very different types of players and comparing them is ridiculous.

yyzjohn

Banned
yeah keep that in mind when Matthews win it, i'm sure your fellow Leafs fans will hold the same discourse and there won't be any fellatio invitation thrown around

I think if you take a poll of Leafs fans and ask what they would want more 1. playoffs 2. calder for Matthews it would be a pretty clear win for playoffs. Nobody gives a fuck about individual awards.

I think if you take a poll of Leafs fans and ask what they would want more 1. playoffs 2. calder for Matthews it would be a pretty clear win for playoffs. Nobody gives a fuck about individual awards.

Toronto fans are going to be so sad about a player not winning an individual award, what with out history of players winning them all the time.

Cactus

Banned
All that has absolutely nothing to do with Calder voting at all. Can't believe that MVP bullshit has spread to other awards.

You're right that the Calder shouldn't be about team impact, but it seems to be what the voters generally use as the "tiebreaker" to reach their decision. 8 of the 11 Calder winners since the lockout were from teams that either made the playoffs that year or improved substantially from the previous season.

Have to change the criteria to favour your team's player

Have you met imbask? I think you two would really like each other.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine if the Leafs were actually good, the salt is already reaching dangerous levels with them being just above mediocre.

calder

Craig Button's (I know, I know) list of the best players not in the NHL has Logan Stanley ahead of Jack Roslovic. God I wish that were true - in that Stanley was actually good.

Chabot is third, better hope Dorion doesn't see that list before Chevy makes his "Perreault plus a second and select anything from this list of mediocrity" offer.

All this Laine-Matthews talk, and here I am wondering what the Canucks would look like if they didn't sweep a late-season California road trip to finish out of the bottom two. They probably would've lost the lottery anyway.

imBask

Banned
Hey you're the guy that said the Leafs wouldn't even make the playoffs for the next 6 seasons. If they make it this year they're well ahead of your prognostication.

let's be real though, we're all stuck in this garbage division and that's why any of us has any chance of making the playoffs. That includes the Canadiens too, i'm just saying

yyzjohn

Banned
let's be real though, we're all stuck in this garbage division and that's why any of us has any chance of making the playoffs. That includes the Canadiens too, i'm just saying

Real or not, you had the Leafs at the bottom of the league again this season. Even said they'd have to draft 1st overall for two years. (last year and this year) You've also predicted that Nylander would be a huge bust, so really your prediction record kind of sucks.

Edit: I can provide Socreges level references to support my claims

imBask

Banned
Real or not, you had the Leafs at the bottom of the league again this season. Even said they'd have to draft 1st overall for two years. (last year and this year) You've also predicted that Nylander would be a huge bust, so really your prediction record kind of sucks.

Edit: I can provide Socreges level references to support my claims

How dare you bring up my alternative facts again. I was right about Nylander though, you're about to trade him anyway (prediction)

calder

Didn't realize the Calder just went to the rookie with the most points?

The Calder goes to the "best" rookie, usually defined as the most proficient. That's why defensemen can win, or even a goalie but that would be tough in this day and age. None of that is what Cactus was saying at all of course.

Cactus

Banned
The Calder goes to the "best" rookie, usually defined as the most proficient. That's why defensemen can win, or even a goalie but that would be tough in this day and age. None of that is what Cactus was saying at all of course.

Did you even read my second post? To paraphrase, since the lockout (with a couple of exceptions), the Calder winner generally does not come from a grossly underperforming tire fire like the 2016/2017 Winnipeg Jets.

Anyway, Matthews won't hit some of his bonuses if he loses, so it would be beneficial for the Leafs and their 17/18 cap if Laine wins.

yyzjohn

Banned
Laine will win the Calder. The 2 Leafs will cancel eachother out.

Depends on how they rank each. If a Toronto writer puts Marner as his #1, does he automatically put Laine #2 and Matthews #3? It's on a points based system where writers pick their top 5. Points are 10-7-5-3-1. As good as Marner has been, I would find it hard to believe a writer wouldn't have Laine or Matthews as 1-2 or vice versa.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Got a score notification saying Miller meeting with his agent to discuss things in advance of the trade deadline

why is a player talking to his Agent public knowledge and news? Not that I care, if we trade Miller we're definitely tanking though.

calder

I find the Calder talk especially annoying because of my nickname of course, but what makes it especially bad this year is my real name being Patrick Matthew Calder.

Cake Boss

Banned
I find the Calder talk especially annoying because of my nickname of course, but what makes it especially bad this year is my real name being Patrick Matthew Calder.

whitney_receipts.gif

calder

Even worse, my dad's name is Austin and my mom is Liane.

Just very very confusing all the time, I've carried so much misplaced anxiety. :(

Top Bottom