• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm nit expecting AGally and Markov to play tomorrow, but hopefully Scherbak can get in the lineup. I believe this is his first call up and all it took was for 1/3 of the lineup to be injured.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Why do I always pick such early flight times? 😳

I cant sleep on planes so im always tired as shit and the flight is miserable because of it.

Are you flying east or west? Flying East is such a bitch

I always end up staying awake on the 10h long-haul and then sleeping from before takeoff until we get to the gate on the connecting 2h short-haul :lol

Edit: Just saw you flew NYC-MSP, that's a short hop :p

Hey why not bring the World Juniors to Europe? People here are obsessed over national competitions. Nothing like the World Championship every year to get all companies hyped up to sell products related to national pride and hockey. And that's just a shitty every year tournament. I'm sure they'd love seeing kids play hockey if it's at a reasonable time and geographically relevant.
World juniors was in Helsinkis last year, been in Sweden twice in maybe the last 10 years. And I think it is in prague in a couple of years.

The tradition of doing Canada every other year seems like a smart one. Even though the tournament has blown up in some countries in the last 10 years or so, Canada is still Canada and junior hockey is still junior hockey.

Marvie_3

Banned
Are you flying east or west? Flying East is such a bitch

I always end up staying awake on the 10h long-haul and then sleeping from before takeoff until we get to the gate on the connecting 2h short-haul :lol

Edit: Just saw you flew NYC-MSP, that's a short hop :p
When I flew from Frankfurt to Detroit, Im pretty sure I was the only one awake on the plane. I dont think the pilots were even awake.

Quick

Banned
It's Hockey Canada, but chances are, it's because for the last two years, Toronto and Montreal have swapped hosting duties. Of course, it blew up spectacularly (Toronto is too tapped out for marquee events, Montreal doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't the Habs or the senior men's team) and now they have a year to figure out what they are going to do with regards to Victoria/Vancouver.

Of course, knowing Hockey Canada, they are probably going to chase the dollar signs and put team Canada's group in Vancouver, and have them play out of Rogers Arena or even worse, Pacific Coliseum. If they were smart, they'd put them in Victoria at the Memorial Centre, and then Group B in Langley at the Events Centre. Then you hold the semi-finals in Langley, and then the big Gold medal game at either Pacific Coliseum or Rogers Arena

I don't know if it's necessarily Toronto being tapped out for events, but the ticket prices sure didn't help. I'm sure it's the same thing in Montreal.

I don't know if it's necessarily Toronto being tapped out for events, but the ticket prices sure didn't help. I'm sure it's the same thing in Montreal.

Ticket prices didn't help, sure, but marquee events are definitely a factor as well. You had an NBA All-Star game, an extended Raptors, Jays and TFC playoff run, a Centennial Classic, all that.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Gallagher out 8 weeks per La Presse

giphy.gif

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna see Rogue One tonight. IMAX highly recommended? 3D a waste or a necessity?

A waste. I saw it on quite possibly the worst 3D screen in existence though and it was muddled with ghosting, and awful depth of field where I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. Can't remember anything making the 3D worth it.

Socreges

Banned
A waste. I saw it on quite possibly the worst 3D screen in existence though and it was muddled with ghosting, and awful depth of field where I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. Can't remember anything making the 3D worth it.
The only non-3D showing is way too early. Goddamnit

Reckheim

I watched it in 3D IMAX a few days ago and it was fine, no ghosting. Must of been you're theater,

Chris R

The only non-3D showing is way too early. Goddamnit

My showing was at 9:45 am on a Saturday :(

AND it was the Saturday after my work party, so I only got to enjoy two beverages instead of many more :( :( :(

Shitty conversions taking the biggest and best screen and now the best show times away from me

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I watched it in 3D IMAX a few days ago and it was fine, no ghosting. Must of been you're theater,

Oh no doubt the ghosting was the awful screen. The "good screen" was sold out when we went, so we had to go to what was apparently the shitty backup screen. I could barely make out what was happening in the dark scenes at the beginning.

The depth of field was deliberate and felt tacked on to make the 3D stand out more. They just blurred the fuck out of things in the background when you had a single character monologuing in the forefront, but maybe things were extra blurry for me because of the screen.

That said, there wasn't anything that made the 3D worth it that I can remember, but that's really every 3D movie except for Avatar.

Edit: It wasn't IMAX for the record, just regular 3D that I saw.

The gold medal game happened on a Thursday night in early January, traditionally not a period of discretionary spending, nor an optimal night for going to watch a hockey game.

Canadians want to see Team Canada. The semifinals happened on Wednesday. Anyone waiting to see if Canada would make the final had one (business) day to buy tickets and make travel plans.

Actually, looking at the attendance numbers, I don't know if there's an issue there. 20,173 at the Bell Center last night. 19,014 at the ACC in 2015 for the final (Canada-Russia). 18,722 at the Saddledome in 2012 (Sweden-Russia), and 18,595 for the bronze medal game (Canada-Finland).

Yawnier

Banned
I saw Rogue One a few nights ago and thought overall it was decent but not that great

I haven't seen Force Awakens yet so I don't know what I would make of that one, and haven't watched the original trilogy in like 10 years

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
3D is the devil! I thought Rogue One was good, not great. Initially I felt R1 was better, then re-watched FA and preferred it. Granted I'm not a big Star Wars fan.

PillarEN

The one thing I'd like to know is how is the music in Rogue One. It's done by the old videogame music vet Michael Giacchino.

calder

I was thrilled that I was able to see Rogue One in glorious non-3D on opening weekend. Because we prefer the VIP theatre quite often when we book tickets before release the theatre will only have 3D. Fucking sucks.

3D just doesn't work for me so I just see a washed out, dim, kinda blurry movie. Can't wait till it just dies already.

which Twitter app is that?

also yes the Caps are the best team in DC. Sorry Blue Jackets, no shame in losing to the very best.

Also fuck Trump.

Yay Troy Terry, Anaheim Ducks prospect for winning it for the best country in the USA. ;-)

And I enjoy New Girl.

Stasis

And I enjoy New Girl.

Awww fuck. Now I gotta like a Caps fan too? It was bad enough I liked a Flyers fan.

Fucking NHLgaf.

edit: Come to think of it I liked Teeth and Osorio too, maybe even Alucard a bit. Welp. That completes that circle of shit.

edit2: I just pre-ordered EVERYTHING Andromeda. The game. Both the RC and non-RC versions of the Nomad. Even the tiny one. And the art book, coloring book. ALL. But it's Amazon, so I'll cancel out a few things before ship date. Just wanted to be sure I could choose whatever I wanted. I've always regretted not getting the CE's for 1-2-3. I love New Girl AND Mass Effect. And Torts. I also sometimes wear cargo shorts when working in my yard.

Socreges

Banned
Awww fuck. Now I gotta like a Caps fan too? It was bad enough I liked a Flyers fan.

Fucking NHLgaf.

edit: Come to think of it I liked Teeth and Osorio too, maybe even Alucard a bit. Welp. That completes that circle of shit.

edit2: I just pre-ordered EVERYTHING Andromeda. The game. Both the RC and non-RC versions of the Nomad. Even the tiny one. And the art book, coloring book. ALL. But it's Amazon, so I'll cancel out a few things before ship date. Just wanted to be sure I could choose whatever I wanted. I've always regretted not getting the CE's for 1-2-3. I love New Girl AND Mass Effect. And Torts. I also sometimes wear cargo shorts when working in my yard.
You'd probably be better speaking to your psychiatrist, Stasis

Caps-Age is pretty great though. Dastardly, Heretic, Calamari. Good peeps from the nation's capital

If you play for the Wild do you call yourself "a Wild"? Like if you play for the Leafs you're "a Leaf". I've always wondered that with non-plural team names.

The Avalanche can go from Avalanche to Avs to Av so that one kinda makes sense.

Top Bottom