• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

Marvie_3

Banned
Xsco5ah.png

The hell?
What the fuck?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Was looking at getting tickets for the Leafs-Habs game in Toronto this weekend with a friend, and the cheapest tickets are $185 American for standing room lmao

What a joke

Marvie_3

Banned
Why do I always pick such early flight times? 😳

I cant sleep on planes so im always tired as shit and the flight is miserable because of it.

Pikma

Banned
Why do I always pick such early flight times? 😳

I cant sleep on planes so im always tired as shit and the flight is miserable because of it.
I always do this too, I know it's the stupid choice but I keep doing it

Except I don't give a shit so I can sleep wherever I am

Marvie_3

Banned
I always do this too, I know it's the stupid choice but I keep doing it

Except I don't give a shit so I can sleep wherever I am
I can usually fall asleep anywhere. Just not on planes. I was awake for almost 48 hours straight when i came back from europe once just because i couldnt sleep.

Pikma

Banned
I can usually fall asleep anywhere. Just not on planes. I was awake for almost 48 hours straight when i came back from europe once just because i couldnt sleep.
The time I flew from Barcelona to Paris I woke up after the plane had already stopped, that's how easy it is to me lol

Even with a neck pillow I can't sleep. I had kids kicking my seat from LA to Japan, because of course I did.

I wonder what Hockey Canada is going to do next after yet another year of failure at the WJC.

Another crisis summit incoming where they don't learn a fucking thing?

This entire WJC tournament this year was a joke. From the lackluster attendance, to the poor Team Canada, to everything else about it.

Though it's funny how some of the comments on /r/hockey are (rightfully) pointing out that it is a national tragedy everytime the junior team doesn't win gold, and it's hilarious.

They got silver 🤔

Exactly, and that isn't anything to scoff at.

But Joe Everyman won't think it is enough. They want gold, every year. They want dominance. It's essentially a Canadian hockey Manifest Destiny they want, and these 18-19 year old kids have failed them, apparently.

So what is Hockey Canada going to do now? They have fallen short for what, the past three or four years? Of course the brass at Hockey Canada are going to panic and do another crisis summit where they try to pat themselves on the back and tell everyone else that everything is going to be OK.

They are going to have to really go back to their roots in terms of 2019 when they head out west. Especially in terms of ticket sales and venue choices. Hell, I can help you with that:

Group A in Victoria at the Memorial Centre
Group B in Langley at the Langley Events Centre
Semi finals in Langley
Final at Rogers Arena

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Winning is everything, at least to the common hockey fan and Hockey Canada.

And to those groups in particular, silver, after once again come up short for yet another time in a row, won't be enough.

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than most. They won in 2015, and then were one shootout goal away from gold this year.

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than most. They won in 2015, and then were one shootout goal away from gold this year.

I'm looking at it in the way that most everyman and Hockey Canada is. I could care less about the tournament considering there was only one Caps prospect and Kale Clague played for the Canadians.

If Hockey Canada wants the tournament to survive when it's held here, they need to change. Especially in regards to how they choose venues and ticket prices. I am not spending, on the low end, $85 for what basically amounts to junior hockey. Why do that, when for that amount of money, I can pay for 7 (!) tickets to a Wheat Kings game, and pay $15 for single tickets?

You are alienating the rest of the common folk who would actually go to these games by pricing it like it's the NHL. It isn't, and I don't know why Hockey Canada seems to think that we as fans would want to pay that.

I remember someone said it, and it rings true: Canada is mad for hockey, but we aren't stupid.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The pricing thing is true. They're taking advantage of our love of hockey, whether that's hockey Canada or the IIHF.

There's not going to be a summit again though about Canada's inability to win this time.

PillarEN

All this talk about US hockey being great again. Let's see what happens at the Olympics. Hell if USA wins I'll give full credit to Trump.

The pricing thing is true. They're taking advantage of our love of hockey, whether that's hockey Canada or the IIHF.

It's Hockey Canada, but chances are, it's because for the last two years, Toronto and Montreal have swapped hosting duties. Of course, it blew up spectacularly (Toronto is too tapped out for marquee events, Montreal doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't the Habs or the senior men's team) and now they have a year to figure out what they are going to do with regards to Victoria/Vancouver.

Of course, knowing Hockey Canada, they are probably going to chase the dollar signs and put team Canada's group in Vancouver, and have them play out of Rogers Arena or even worse, Pacific Coliseum. If they were smart, they'd put them in Victoria at the Memorial Centre, and then Group B in Langley at the Events Centre. Then you hold the semi-finals in Langley, and then the big Gold medal game at either Pacific Coliseum or Rogers Arena

Cake Boss

Banned
Joe everyman that watched the game understood that it was probably the most entertaining game that they will probably watch this year, an instant classic. it had high drama, goals, hits and everything you expect in a hockey game. And it ended in a skills competition. Joe everyman probably watched at home and not paid $500 for a ticket in the bell centre, and probably came away feeling entertained.

Creating a problem out of nothing. Canada had a chance to win gold, their top forwards didn't show up, and the US pk shut down their powerplay, and there is nothing a summet can do anything about that, because every year it's different set players.

imBask

Banned
It's Hockey Canada, but chances are, it's because for the last two years, Toronto and Montreal have swapped hosting duties. Of course, it blew up spectacularly (Toronto is too tapped out for marquee events, Montreal doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't the Habs or the senior men's team) and now they have a year to figure out what they are going to do with regards to Victoria/Vancouver.

Of course, knowing Hockey Canada, they are probably going to chase the dollar signs and put team Canada's group in Vancouver, and have them play out of Rogers Arena or even worse, Pacific Coliseum. If they were smart, they'd put them in Victoria at the Memorial Centre, and then Group B in Langley at the Events Centre. Then you hold the semi-finals in Langley, and then the big Gold medal game at either Pacific Coliseum or Rogers Arena

Impact sell a lot now
Als suck yet they still sellout a lot
Grand Prix is always sold out
Rogers Cup is always sold out

enough with the misconception about Montreal. We care about stuff, just not an absurdly overpriced tournament that means next to nothing to most people

Impact sell a lot now
Als suck yet they still sellout a lot
Grand Prix is always sold out
Rogers Cup is always sold out

enough with the misconception about Montreal. We care about stuff, just not an absurdly overpriced tournament that means next to nothing to most people

I meant in terms of hockey.

Also, the Canadian Grand Prix and Rogers Cup are one and done events, every year. Definitely not 42 games a year at home like the Habs or a QMJHL team, with a couple over the border with Ontario.

Put the winter olympics here and it'll be sold out

I live 20 min away from the Bell Centre and I had 0 interest in this stupid tournament, I can't name you a single player on the canadian roster

Again, that's a one and done event. Just like the Rogers Cup and Canadian Grand Prix you mentioned. Besides, that's why I added the senior men teams quantifier.

You put a QJMHL team in the Bell Centre as co-tenants with the Habs, nobody cares. Same for a CWHL team.

imBask

Banned
Again, that's a one and done event. Just like the Rogers Cup and Canadian Grand Prix you mentioned.

You put a QJMHL team in the Bell Centre as co-tenants with the Habs, nobody cares. Same for a CWHL team.

blah you're sorta right on that I guess, we had a QJMHL team for a while, I went once and it was okay but there's no incentive really

I saw Louis Leblanc with the Juniors so that's that

blah you're sorta right on that I guess, we had a QJMHL team for a while, I went once and it was okay but there's no incentive really

I saw Louis Leblanc with the Juniors so that's that

See, you come out west, and you go into the smaller cities like Regina, Kelowna, Kamloops, Brandon and the like, the CHL is all we have, alongside the pro teams deeper in the province. So of course they are going to be popular.

And if Hockey Canada wants the WJHC to survive in Canada, you need to go back to the junior cities. And if you want to chase the big bucks, then you put them in smaller arenas, and leave the medal games in said big arenas.

PillarEN

Hey why not bring the World Juniors to Europe? People here are obsessed over national competitions. Nothing like the World Championship every year to get all companies hyped up to sell products related to national pride and hockey. And that's just a shitty every year tournament. I'm sure they'd love seeing kids play hockey if it's at a reasonable time and geographically relevant.

Canada will play at Rogers Centre at the 2019 WJC. That's not even up for debate.

Victoria will fill the Fridge for any good team (I could see Latvia v Norway struggling to get bums on seats). Folks here love their junior sports events.

The attendance issues this year are almost certainly because the IIHF and HC decided to go back to cities that very recently held a tournament. Not even the World Cup could get away with a move like that.

Hey why not bring the World Juniors to Europe? People here are obsessed over national competitions. Nothing like the World Championship every year to get all companies hyped up to sell products related to national pride and hockey. And that's just a shitty every year tournament. I'm sure they'd love seeing kids play hockey if it's at a reasonable time and geographically relevant.

I'd prefer for the IIHF to go to Europe for a couple years to give Canadians a break for the WJC.

Canada will play at Rogers Centre at the 2019 WJC. That's not even up for debate.

Victoria will fill the Fridge for any good team (I could see Latvia v Norway struggling to get bums on seats). Folks here love their junior sports events.

The attendance issues this year are almost certainly because the IIHF and HC decided to go back to cities that very recently held a tournament. Not even the World Cup could get away with a move like that.

We will see. But I still believe that if Hockey Canada was smart, they'd put Canada in Victoria.

Stasis

Put the winter olympics here and it'll be sold out

I live 20 min away from the Bell Centre and I had 0 interest in this stupid tournament, I can't name you a single player on the canadian roster

Yeah I don't know a single person who went or cared to.

calder

I wonder what Hockey Canada is going to do next after yet another year of failure at the WJC.

Another crisis summit incoming where they don't learn a fucking thing?

Why do you keep making this non-joke over and over and over again? That shit hasn't been true in 20 years.

Top Bottom