• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

yyzjohn

Banned
Anaheim / Toronto goalie trades
Enroth
Andersen
Pogge
Giguere
Bernier
Toskala
Gibson (well, the pick they used to select him)

Am i missing any?

i think the Leafs have 2 phones in their GM office, one you pickup immediately dials Anaheim, the other phone is for the rest of the GMs

imBask

Banned
i think the Leafs have 2 phones in their GM office, one you pickup immediately dials Anaheim, the other phone is for the rest of the GMs

it's the patented Pierre Gauthier phone method

Only call one team when you wanna trade someone, otherwise you look weak!

I know it's a lot to ask of a site like BuzzFeed, but a little restraint would've made this story so much more potent. Now it's just #fakenews, regardless of how accurate some of the information ends up being.

Leafs trade enroth to anaheim for 7th in 2018

And yet there is zero market for guys like Michalek.

I know it's a lot to ask of a site like BuzzFeed, but a little restraint would've made this story so much more potent. Now it's just #fakenews, regardless of how accurate some of the information ends up being.

I disagree, keep it coming. This is the tabloid president being hit with this stuff over and over and having an inability to respond with dignity to these rumors while other shit needs to get done is only going to hurt Trump. Wound his ego, keep doing it and run issues counter to his tantrums. He thinks winning will make everyone bend and kiss his ring and finally get him respect, keep fighting against that over and over.

Foggy

i'm all for tabloid shit on him, but if they're straight lies it's just as bad as what he's doing

They're shielded from it. They're just releasing unverified information and are upfront about it. So they're "just" lacking journalistic integrity which is something they're clearly not too concerned with.

Compare that to Trump parading around with the birther stuff that was sourced from....something.

imBask

Banned
They're shielded from it. They're just releasing unverified information and are upfront about it. So they're "just" lacking journalistic integrity which is something they're clearly not too concerned with.

Compare that to Trump parading around with the birther stuff that was sourced from....something.

pretty sure that argument would be REALLY different if the president was Bernie Sanders and Fox News was releasing "unverified informations" about him

Foggy

pretty sure that argument would be REALLY different if the president was Bernie Sanders and Fox News was releasing "unverified informations" about him

My argument doesn't really revolve around people's reactions to unverified intelligence. That's a separate discussion.

What Buzzfeed is doing is fundamentally different than what Trump has done. It's not worth making a "yeah but" comparison.

Cake Boss

Banned
Don't worry Imbask, we all suspected that you were a hidden Trump supporter. You can come out to us now if you want.

There is no need to hide it anymore.

imBask

Banned
My argument doesn't really revolve around people's reactions to unverified intelligence. That's a separate discussion.

What Buzzfeed is doing is fundamentally different than what Trump has done. It's not worth making a "yeah but" comparison.

eh sure I get ya on that part. I still think journalistic integrity shouldn't be expected ONLY when it fits your narrative, Buzzfeed is a trash website regardless of which side they're bashing

Don't worry Imbask, we all suspected that you were a hidden Trump supporter. You can come out to us now if you want.

There is no need to hide it anymore.

dawg this is GAF. I didn't even specify any trigger warning for my post so technically my post was also against women, minorities, lgbtqqip2saa, etc

being a trump supporter just piles on top of that

Which is a problem. This kind of behaviour (the document had been made available to several other news orgs long ago who were not able to substantiate any of it) damages the relationship between readers and journalists. It's essentially the normalization of 'fake news'.

BuzzFeed may not see a downturn in clicks from this, but the next story that breaks about Trump will be met with even more skepticism by more people.

Cake Boss

Banned
eh sure I get ya on that part. I still think journalistic integrity shouldn't be expected ONLY when it fits your narrative, Buzzfeed is a trash website regardless of which side they're bashing

dawg this is GAF. I didn't even specify any trigger warning for my post so technically my post was also against women, minorities, lgbtqqip2saa, etc

being a trump supporter just piles on top of that

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

Foggy

I don't think anyone is painting Buzzfeed as the vanguard for American liberty. Some folks are happy it's blasting Trump. As for hypocrisy olympics, wake me up when this reaches Benghazi or Clinton emails of stupidity. This thing is just getting started.

Which is a problem. This kind of behaviour (the document had been made available to several other news orgs long ago who were not able to substantiate any of it) damages the relationship between readers and journalists. It's essentially the normalization of 'fake news'.

BuzzFeed may not see a downturn in clicks from this, but the next story that breaks about Trump will be met with even more skepticism by more people.

Like the media feeding on and running with Comey's bullshit? This is just another thing to throw on the funeral pyre of American media. But it is different than fake news, it's garden variety journalistic irresponsibility. What Buzzfeed has done is not new.

As for straining the relationship with the people on the right, I'm not going to wring my hands over it. That ship has sailed a long time ago. It holds the same weight to them as that Facebook post aunt June posted with the funny white text. The genie's been out of the bottle.

trifelife

Texas is dumb

Hey, you're finally right about something!

If almost any of the reports end up being true, people are charged with treason full stop. Not that it matters, because Putin already won.

Socreges

Banned
Hey, you're finally right about something!

If almost any of the reports end up being true, people are charged with treason full stop. Not that it matters, because Putin already won.
I was actually thinking that Russia could be leaking false or exaggerated information to undermine the PEOTUS and US democracy, but apparently this was known last summer?

The Canucks are 7-3-1 in their last 11.

Daniel has 0 goals and 2 assists in those 11.
Henrik has 2 goals and 4 assists.

It's only January and they're already looking slow. It's good that the Horvat line has carried the offensive load lately, but last night they were matched against Johansen's line and they got buried possession-wise.

trifelife

The Canucks are 7-3-1 in their last 11.

Daniel has 0 goals and 2 assists in those 11.
Henrik has 2 goals and 4 assists.

It's only January and they're already looking slow. It's good that the Horvat line has carried the offensive load lately, but last night they were matched against Johansen's line and they got buried possession-wise.

They've been abysmal possession-wise most of the year, in large part from spending so much time with Sutter 🤢 and Megna. They really need speed on the right wing at this point in their career.

But yes, they are also not as good anymore. It's rough that both these factors are hitting at the same time.

Socreges

Banned
Gord Miller might be my favorite announcer in all of hockey but he is off his rocker
I can only assume people like Gord Miller so much because he was TSN's only decent announcer for years so a lot of people have positive memories attached. Hughson and Cuthbert are both much better IMO. Miller is a distant third for me.

(Bob Cole still has the voice, just not the lucidity or competence)

Quick

Banned
I can only assume people like Gord Miller so much because he was TSN's only decent announcer for years so a lot of people have positive memories attached. Hughson and Cuthbert are both much better IMO. Miller is a distant third for me.

(Bob Cole still has the voice, just not the lucidity or competence)

Same here. Hughson, Cuthbert, Miller. I'm fairly indifferent to the rest, Romanuk is annoying, but I don't mind him overall.

Bob Cole is great as the voice, but his best days are behind him in terms of commentary. Still glad Rogers keeps him around though, and I don't think the Leafs have gotten him so far this season.

I think what makes Cuthbert and Miller more tolerable is the fact that their games are usually regional NHL games, so they aren't shoved in our faces on a national level as much as Rogers' crew, outside of the World Junior Championships.

Toews has intangibles and leadership, qualities that a lot of "old-school" hockey guys (less bombastic versions of Cherry) like. I think it was around 2013-4 that people were wondering if Toews had surpassed Crosby as the best player in the world.

Top Bottom