• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Maybe Fehr and Bettman are just fucking with the hockey media :eek:

Remember Fehr did say the other day that he didn't think they were that far apart on core economic issues :eek:

As for where I like to sit at a hockey game, I'm a Leafs fan so I have to pay 50-60 bucks for upper rows of the upper bowl =/ Sometimes obstructed view

If I lived in Glendale or Columbus I'd sit in the upper part of the lower bowl for sure :p

I sat in the 4th row of the lower bowl in Buffalo, it was good when the action was at my end but not when I had to look through the glass towards the other net

Socreges

Banned
And who got Byuff fat during the off-season...and Lindstrom's "retirement." The pieces are coming together.

tumblr_m0y2er4VfJ1qztjn5o1_500.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
1.) Let's start to get actual comparisons as to how NHL players are treated so much better rather than just stating it. When you're comparing caps use bargained for cap rates, like the 49.5 in the NBA rather than money going out.

2.) Yes players are losing money on this. So are the owners. The owners are just as stupid for not just agreeing to one a more generous 50/50 split and making money this year rather than throwing out lost profits.

3.) Again, these deals affect the following ones. If they just agree to this reduction next time it will be worse.

Also, I was thinking about something: Can anyone else think of an industry that can make record profits in a year (which the NHL did) and then enter labor unrest? The league is using the poor teams as a shield to pretend like they're not making money. It's bullshit. The PA isn't bargaining with the Phoenix. They're dealing with an organization that is making more money than it ever has before. You want the PA to start dealing with each team? Fine, but don't expect the Leafs to get the same treatment as the Coyotes. The PA is gonna treat the league as one organization because that's what the league wants. And the league is making record profits.

2005-2006: $125.1 million (revenue: $2.367 billion)
2006-2007: $095.4 million (revenue: $2.536 billion)
2007-2008: $141.5 million (revenue: $2.847 billion)
2008-2009: $183.5 million (revenue: $2.919 billion)
2010-2011: $160.0 million (revenue: $3.229 billion)
2011-2012: $126.0 million (revenue: $3.384 billion)

That's right gais! 2011-2012 was the most profitable year for the NHL!!!!!one1!

I'm tired of having to correct you. Either research it yourself or again... stop posting. You're wrong. You've always been wrong. You haven't been able to properly approach arguments.

anyways... my percentage of cap idea would have a first year outlook of this assuming flat revenue:

Code:
R: Revenue
P: To pay into salary pool
S: Current Salaries
OOI: Old Operating Income
NOI: New Operating Income

Leafs:   R: $198 m; P: $84.92 m; S: $61 m; OOI: 081.8 m; NOI: 57.8 m
Rangers: R: $174 m; P: $74.36 m; S: $74 m; OOI: 041.4 m; NOI: 41.0 m
Habs:    R: $169 m; P: $72.60 m; S: $64 m; OOI: 047.7 m; NOI: 39.1 m
Wings:   R: $132 m; P: $55.88 m; S: $66 m; OOI: 016.3 m; NOI: 26.4 m
Bruins:  R: $130 m; P: $55.00 m; S: $68 m; OOI: 002.7 m; NOI: 15.7 m
Hawks:   R: $123 m; P: $51.92 m; S: $70 m; OOI: 008.7 m; NOI: 26.7 m
Canucks: R: $151 m; P: $64.24 m; S: $73 m; OOI: 023.5 m; NOI: 32.2 m
Flyers:  R: $116 m; P: $48.84 m; S: $68 m; OOI: 003.2 m; NOI: 22.3 m
Pens:    R: $115 m; P: $48.40 m; S: $68 m; OOI: -00.2 m; NOI: 18.9 m 
Kings:   R: $106 m; P: $44.40 m; S: $57 m; OOI: -02.0 m; NOI: 10.6 m
Stars:   R: $089 m; P: $36.96 m; S: $49 m; OOI: -01.1 m; NOI: 12.0 m
Caps:    R: $099 m; P: $41.36 m; S: $67 m; OOI: -07.5 m; NOI: 18.1 m
Flames:  R: $110 m; P: $46.20 m; S: $68 m; OOI: 001.1 m; NOI: 22.9 m
Wild:    R: $102 m; P: $42.68 m; S: $61 m; OOI: -05.9 m; NOI: 12.4 m
Oilers:  R: $101 m; P: $42.24 m; S: $55 m; OOI: 017.3 m; NOI: 30.0 m
Sharks:  R: $101 m; P: $42.24 m; S: $65 m; OOI: -07.8 m; NOI: 14.9 m
Sens:    R: $105 m; P: $44.00 m; S: $57 m; OOI: 002.8 m; NOI: 15.8 m
Avs:     R: $088 m; P: $36.52 m; S: $44 m; OOI: 006.1 m; NOI: 13.6 m
Ducks:   R: $089 m; P: $36.96 m; S: $54 m; OOI: -08.4 m; NOI: 08.6 m
Devils:  R: $105 m; P: $44.00 m; S: $63 m; OOI: -06.1 m; NOI: 12.9 m
Bolts:   R: $092 m; P: $38.28 m; S: $56 m; OOI: -08.5 m; NOI: 09.2 m
Sabres:  R: $092 m; P: $38.28 m; S: $58 m; OOI: -05.6 m; NOI: 14.1 m
Canes:   R: $086 m; P: $35.64 m; S: $49 m; OOI: -04.4 m; NOI: 08.9 m 
Jets:    R: $076 m; P: $31.24 m; S: $43 m; OOI: -05.2 m; NOI: 06.5 m
Preds:   R: $087 m; P: $36.08 m; S: $54 m; OOI: -07.5 m; NOI: 10.4 m
Panthers:R: $086 m; P: $35.64 m; S: $50 m; OOI: -07.0 m; NOI: 07.0 m
Blues:   R: $083 m; P: $34.32 m; S: $43 m; OOI: -02.7 m; NOI: 06.0 m
Jackets: R: $085 m; P: $35.20 m; S: $56 m; OOI: -13.7 m; NOI: 07.1 m 
Isles:   R: $068 m; P: $27.72 m; S: $44 m; OOI: -08.1 m; NOI: 08.1 m
Yotes:   R: $075 m; P: $30.80 m; S: $52 m; OOI: -24.4 m; NOI: -3.2 m

2011-2012 revenue:      $3.384 billion
Estimated new payroll:  $1.356 billion
Current Payroll:        $1.757 billion
Current Cap:            $70.20 million
Actual Cap Used:        $58.50 million
Estimated New Cap:      $45.20 million

Going to $45.2 mil from $58.5 mil = 22.80% drop
Going to 44% from 57%             = 22.81% drop

League Wide Profit (current): $126.5 million; $4.2 million AVG
League Wide Profit (project): $526.0 million; $17.5 million AVG

Largest negative decreases: 

Toronto  @ 24  million
Montreal @ 8.6 million
New York @ 0.4 million

What is important about the 44% figure is only Leafs and Habs get hit by it, and every other team but NYR gain profits

Phoenix still the only lonely bum with an operating loss, but it's not out of reach.

But after initial season, every team basically has tug on their own cap. Every team (but Phoenix) is profitable, allowing for much quicker revenue generation. It would put effort on teams to be more fiscally aware (ie fire any brucewaynegretzky's that are drooling, scribbling with crayons in the general ledger) and absolutely eliminate compression and expansion due to shifts in currency valuations as well as over-performing and under-performing teams. 44% was chosen to soften the blow to basically every team not named Canadiens or Maple Leafs. With this kind of system, it doesn't matter if some teams of arena generated revenue as it effectively only adds to the pool and to their margins.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Even after the Habs let him go Campoli haunts me.....Halo 4 & following Galchenyuk is keeping me pretty satisfied this off season, although I'd love to watch a real game again.

Stasis

Losing patience. I'm a die-hard fan, but this is really pretty shitty and I'm losing interest. If this goes on for more than a year, I'm really not sure how enthusiastic I'll be about coming back to it. It won't be instantaneous, of that I'm sure. I'm fairly confident they're losing a lot of the more casual fan-base and this will be far more damaging than is currently assumed.

Fuck 'em. Televise the AHL and make that shit more accessible. Tons of great players coming up... just keep them in the AHL and promote that league. The NHL can go fuck itself, and all the money-grabbers can go play elsewhere. *Shrug*

CREMSteve

Losing patience. I'm a die-hard fan, but this is really pretty shitty and I'm losing interest. If this goes on for more than a year, I'm really not sure how enthusiastic I'll be about coming back to it. It won't be instantaneous, of that I'm sure. I'm fairly confident they're losing a lot of the more casual fan-base and this will be far more damaging than is currently assumed.

Fuck 'em. Televise the AHL and make that shit more accessible. Tons of great players coming up... just keep them in the AHL and promote that league. The NHL can go fuck itself, and all the money-grabbers can go play elsewhere. *Shrug*
This. 100% This.

And who got Byuff fat during the off-season...and Lindstrom's "retirement." The pieces are coming together.

You better not have misspelled Lidstrom's name and are referring to another random player no one cares about, but if that isn't the case....

I feel like this is gonna cost you.

Yes, it will cost him greatly, I already have 50 different Detroit gangs on the hunt for him, of course only 2 or 3 may make it back since the rest will probably just end up killing each other instead.

Dopey, I will respond to this tonight, but I didn't want to be accused of running in the face of an admittedly stupid factual mistake. What I should have said was "consistent profits since the last CBA." I was posting from an airport terminal mostly last night and my phone's browsing abilities suck quite a bit, so I wasn't fact checking. You were right there.

However, you're still bargaining for the lowest common denominator and I think you recognize that's where the major gap is. You ignored a lot of what I've been saying regarding HRR not including things like concessions and rev sharing as a tax on profitable teams dispersed to others.

I'll go more in depth tonight after work.

I'll take a lost season as long as the players learn their place. They are already making way too much money and they know they are nothing without the NHL. The NHL creates stars but you can bet the players can go play in bumfuck nowhere in Europe and nobody will give a shit.

CREMSteve

I'll take a lost season as long as the players learn their place. They are already making way too much money and they know they are nothing without the NHL. The NHL creates stars but you can bet the players can go play in bumfuck nowhere in Europe and nobody will give a shit.

Indeed, this has already been proven. The NHL isn't playing, but it's "stars" are, and I haven't followed them at all outside of a random stat check now and then.

I'm currently enamoured with the AHL, young stars, playing for a fraction of the salary, many of these guys will be playing in the league over the next few years, what's not to like about it?

284145_10151206041109547_2132133172_n.jpg

Fuck the NHLPA.

You better not have misspelled Lidstrom's name and are referring to another random player no one cares about, but if that isn't the case....

Yes, it will cost him greatly, I already have 50 different Detroit gangs on the hunt for him, of course only 2 or 3 may make it back since the rest will probably just end up killing each other instead.
Goddamnit. I dun goofed. Now an army if crackheads are after me. I doubt they make it, they will see the world outside Detroit and choose not to return.

This all links back to Campoli.

I'd want to know whether other leagues are including these types of sales in their cap #'s.

Second, its still ridiculous. Not "having to do with hockey" is irrelevant. The teams still need the other teams in order to have the opportunity to make those sales. The leafs franchise is only valuable because they have the league to play in. On top of that the NHL gets a legal monopoly that fosters that environment.

And to Marvie's "no timetable" comment, what makes hockey teams diffeerent from other businesses that they should be able to operate at a loss forever? The only way they're even able to do that is through an artificial economic system.

How does the NHL have a legal monopoly? NFL is way more popular in the US and yet the courts ruled with the USFL against the NFL. You could absolutely start a rival hockey league if you wanted to, but no one would because of the insane startup cost.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed, this has already been proven. The NHL isn't playing, but it's "stars" are, and I haven't followed them at all outside of a random stat check now and then.

I'm currently enamoured with the AHL, young stars, playing for a fraction of the salary, many of these guys will be playing in the league over the next few years, what's not to like about it?

284145_10151206041109547_2132133172_n.jpg

Fuck the NHLPA.

AHL, etc. is great. Might as well enjoy the young starts now until they become greedy assholes, which they will surely become.

ShaneB

So with the HHOF inductions today, who is your favourite player out of the bunch?

I'm a bit bias as Adam Oates was one of my favourite players growing up, so if I had to choose one, he gets my vote. Big influence on how I played hockey, and just admired his ability to be a hell of a playmaker and to seemingly be able to pass the puck to anyone on the ice to set up so many goals.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So with the HHOF inductions today, who is your favourite player out of the bunch?

I'm sure it's no shock to anyone here but Mats Sundin for me. Always loved him and how he'd put the team on his back every single game. I basically grew up with him as the captain of the Leafs so he's definitely one of my more favourite players.

Quick

Banned
I'm sure it's no shock to anyone here but Mats Sundin for me. Always loved him and how he'd put the team on his back every single game. I basically grew up with him as the captain of the Leafs so he's definitely one of my more favourite players.

izFjiJdGUu8Cp.gif

I'm pretty damn happy to see him in the Hall of Fame, to say the least.

I'm a bit bias as Adam Oates was one of my favourite players growing up, so if I had to choose one, he gets my vote. Big influence on how I played hockey, and just admired his ability to be a hell of a playmaker and to seemingly be able to pass the puck to anyone on the ice to set up so many goals.

Bure for me. His skill and speed on the ice were second to none. Seeing him in Panthers jersey putting up 59 goal seasons still makes me smile. Also he really liked Fla too, spends half the year down there.

Marvie_3

Banned
Goddamnit. I dun goofed. Now an army if crackheads are after me. I doubt they make it, they will see the world outside Detroit and choose not to return.

This all links back to Campoli.
Dstrdl can help you out.

Oates. Bure is a close 2nd. Blows my mind that Shanahan wasn't inducted.

FOOTE

Oates.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
As much as I liked watching Bure, gotta go with Burnaby Joe.

- As classy as Steve Yzerman (I think there was a time when I was a kid when I thought they were the same dude)
- 2002 Olympics
- Handing the cup to Bourque first
- dat wrister

ShaneB

Good to see love for Oates, I really hope he does well with the Capitals.

Guess I'll be devil's advocate and say I always found Sundin terribly overrated. Sure he's got great stats, but just being surrounded by mediocre players, and with little success, he never felt like any sort of MVP player that carried the team to elite status.

No kidding, lifelong Canucks fan and retired Canucks forward Mats Sundin is just great.

Top Bottom