• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

CrankyJay

Banned
Players should just bend over and take it now, because they're going to bend over and take it later anyway.

I don't get to go to my company and demand revenue sharing.

These owners don't care, they have other revenue streams.

Yeah because good business people give up millions in revenue at any given time just to prove a point....

The owners have plenty at stake here too. It's not worth it to lose a season financially if the difference between deal you get and the one you would have gotten won't make up the potential profits you lost during the lockout year.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Yeah because good business people give up millions in revenue at any given time just to prove a point....

The owners have plenty at stake here too. It's not worth it to lose a season financially if the difference between deal you get and the one you would have gotten won't make up the potential profits you lost during the lockout year.

Pocket change for most owners.

Marvie_3

Banned

Good business people find the best return on investments. If they have to give up $10M now to gain an extra $30M over the life of the CBA, they'll do it.

Surge

I have a gut feeling that the players are going to counter with an offer that is insane which then puts everything back to square one.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

Cake Boss

Banned
Oh hey look Sopel getting flack on Twitter over some stupid shit he said then counters it with the I have a right to an opinion crap.

Good business people find the best return on investments. If they have to give up $10M now to gain an extra $30M over the life of the CBA, they'll do it.

And losing a season isn't that. They lose massive amounts of PROFIT (Hear me Dopey? Profit.) for a whole year lost for incremental changes to a 5 to 7 year CBA. The changes in the CBA beyond what the union will counter with at this point won't be worth it.

CrankyJay

Banned
And losing a season isn't that. They lose massive amounts of PROFIT (Hear me Dopey? Profit.) for a whole year lost for incremental changes to a 5 to 7 year CBA. The changes in the CBA beyond what the union will counter with at this point won't be worth it.

Not every club makes money at the end of the year, which is why owners are largely willing to lock out players to change that.

You're disregarding revenue sharing. If the clubs "that actually matter" have to share their revenues with teams that aren't pulling in as much, they're going to want to get the CBA in their favor to bring overall revenues up.

Absolutely. So they'll agree to just about any deal that doesn't have real revenue sharing, pressure everyone into it, and we'll do this all again in 6-ish years.

Merguson

Banned
Apparently not all of the NHL Owners were aware of the NHL proposal before they offered it to the NHLPA.

Hilarious. Shouldn't be surprising considering Bettman only needs the approval of eight owners to offer or reject any CBA proposal.

On the other hand, the NHLPA needs a simple majority.

If the NHLPA accepts or rejects a proposal, we know it's the majority of players.

On the NHL side, who the hell knows? For all we know, 22 owners could have wanted to accept a CBA proposal but it's rejected anyways.

EDIT: Anyways hope a deal gets done. If the majority of owners are sticking together, fine. But if there's a handful of owners that's holding everything up..................................

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still see no hope we get a full season. Fehr is too much of a douche.

ShaneB

I still see no hope we get a full season. Fehr is too much of a douche.

That damn smug look on his face, I want to punch him. I want to punch Bettmen, I want to knockout Fehr.

Oh hey look Sopel getting flack on Twitter over some stupid shit he said then counters it with the I have a right to an opinion crap.

Hey man, you've got a raccoon problem to be dealing with, you can't worry about hockey at a time like this!!

JYGym.jpg

Line-up for Bieksa's charity game released.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
@ChrisKuc: #Blackhawks' Toews on NHL's offer: "There’s no real effort there. It’s just a ploy to kind of sway the positive light back in their favor".

that's right folks, toews believe there's no effort

(yet we have yet to see ANYTHING from the NHLPA that resembles effort)

@ChrisKuc: #Blackhawks' Toews on NHL's offer: "There’s no real effort there. It’s just a ploy to kind of sway the positive light back in their favor".

that's right folks, toews believe there's no effort

(yet we have yet to see ANYTHING from the NHLPA that resembles effort)

Jesus fucking christ! I was so hopeful yesterday but hearing what the players and their management have had to say today my optimism is back to 0. If we lose a season because these fuckers wont take a few % less I am going to cry.

ShaneB

Toews, shut the fuck up. Go make more Canadian Tire commercials because you clearly need the money with how much this lockout is hurting you.

CREMSteve

Seriously, the NHL needs to bring in replacement players, like, now.

Slash the price of tickets, call up all your AHL guys to play in the bigs (no idea if they can even legally do this, but you get my point), and watch the NHL players cry in their soup for throwing away millions of dollars to play the game they love.

I'd be first in line to watch these games, just to prove the point that no individuals are larger than the game itself. We cheer for the jersey, not the people wearing them.

This game deserves BETTER than these greedy, entitled pricks.

Revenant

Don't worry guys Shawn Horcoff came in with a rational mind yesterday

oh wait

"It's the same thing every time with the owners. [Commissioner Gary Bettman's] first defense is to cancel games and test the players. There's been no effort to negotiate on his stance. Their negotiation is 'The players have to come down to us or we're not moving at all,' " Horcoff told ESPN The Magazine. "Gary has forced the players' hand into this situation and frankly, he's [ticked] us off. I think at the start, that first offer they gave out, that was a big, big mistake on Gary's part."

"I sit there and read Gary and Bill's comments about, 'We feel sorry for the fans.' Well, I find that really hard to believe," Horcoff said. "I think it's a blatant lie, personally. I don't feel they feel sorry for the fans at all. Gary feels like no matter what, [the fans are] going to come back and couldn't care less if they're frustrated with this. He's going to do what it takes to get the best deal and couldn't care less what they feel."

this was posted a bit before the NHL's new proposal but still some good stuff in there.

players are on the ropes in the PR battle. So much whining and bitching and moaning and crying. The owners may be "evil" fellas, but they're certainly much quieter.

Goodell, Selig and Stern must be doing backflips in their office that they didn't have to negotiate with Fehr.

If they release a joke proposal tomorrow I need a new sport.

The players don't give a shit about the fans either, lets be real.

Yeah it pissed me off to see them grovelling to fans asking them to help them in their "fight"

Top Bottom