• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

Per player source,clarification is needed on HRR definition in league proposal,appears in new offer player share is lowered.Also 'salary guarantee/protection',to allow to go from 57% to 50%,means players would likely be paid back by themselves,out of their share in the future.Possibility a guy could retire,and players still playing, would be bearing burden to pay him back

Clarification between NHL and NHLPA will come by phone Wednesday and they will meet in person in Toronto on Thursday

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You guys are lucky you had parents who taught you in the ways of hockey.

I had to raise and teach myself on hockey since my parents don't give a damn about hockey.

Had to teach my little brother too.

Dark days.

Tabris

This is brilliant by the NHL, as no matter the details of the offer, all the fans will see is 50/50 and if the players refuse this offer, they look like greedy assholes to the fans.

ATF487

You guys are lucky you had parents who taught you in the ways of hockey.

I had to raise and teach myself on hockey since my parents don't give a damn about hockey.

Had to teach my little brother too.

Dark days.

We couldn't afford ice time :(

I COULD HAVE BEEN SOMEBODY!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Hey guys

Hey guys

If the NHL goes over by 3% this year

That means over 6 years the players cover .5% per year

if someone retires they may have to cover it!!!

That's about $22,000 share per player per year

Or about $30 per player per year for every player that retires

Yep. They're bitching about $30.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hey guys

Hey guys

If the NHL goes over by 3% this year

That means over 6 years the players cover .5% per year

if someone retires they may have to cover it!!!

That's about $22,000 share per player per year

Or about $30 per player per year for every player that retires

Yep. They're bitching about $30.
$30 is a lot of money when you only make a minimum of $550k per year.

Socreges

Banned
I'm not sure what's more insulting.

Zedge confusing Furry-GAF for NHL-GAF.

or Soc confusing NHL-GAF for Poli-GAF.
They're basically the same at this point. Posters impotently arguing about two wealthy men deciding what's best for millions of people with a good chance that things will still be just as depressing come November.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
More on NHL offer: calls for 2012-13 salary cap of $59.9 million but teams can go over up to $70.2 million in Year 1 as part of transition

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
More on NHL Rev Sharing. Pool will be determined yearly by a Revenue Sharing Committee. The NHLPA will have representation and input.

Sounds like a pretty solid offer, can't wait to see what Krys Barch thinks about it.

NHL proposal includes changes to supplemental discipline appeal process. A “neutral” third-party arbitrator is being offered.

No more Shanabans ?

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
More on NHL offer: calls for 2012-13 salary cap of $59.9 million but teams can go over up to $70.2 million in Year 1 as part of transition

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
More on NHL Rev Sharing. Pool will be determined yearly by a Revenue Sharing Committee. The NHLPA will have representation and input.

Sounds like a pretty solid offer, can't wait to see what Krys Barch thinks about it.
Are current contracts going to be grandfathered in or rollbacked caphit wise? Because the Wild are going to be fucked in 2013-2014 with half of their cap ($30m) devoted to 4 players...

Are current contracts going to be grandfathered in or rollbacked caphit wise? Because the Wild are going to be fucked in 2013-2014 with half of their cap ($30m) devoted to 4 players...

I am guessing cap hits are grandfathered in, under the new proposed CBA, the cap hit is the amount paid and that amount cannot vary more than 5% from year to year so no more $10M in year and $2M in year 2 type deals.

As for the actual money, the players take a (12% ?) hit in escrow but the NHL will reimburse existing contracts over time so they get exactly what they signed for, it may just be a big fat check when the contract expires or when the player retires.

Apparently the players are wondering if they get interest on this reimbursement. I am guessing no and I expect them to ask for it this week.

Socreges

Banned
I wonder what Kessel thinks about all this.
KesselAwkward.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No more re-entry waivers
$5 mil max cap trade per team per year $3 mil per contract (or 50% AAV... Whichever is lower)

"huh huh....I don't know...whatever...don't worry about it"

... 'hey are you gonna finish that donut ?"

No more re-entry waivers
$5 mil max cap trade per team per year $3 mil per contract (or 50% AAV... Whichever is lower)

Interesting that they will allow this.

I wonder if the "Wade Redden" rule will go into the CBA, I can imagine James Dolan throwing shit at Bettman at the next NHL meeting for not being able to burying Redden in Connecticut anymore.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
One of most interesting aspects of NHL proposal is aimed at punishing clubs more than players, with regard to existing back-diving deals.

Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

Sounds like it's not grandfathered, teams with long contracts are going to have to bend over.

One of most interesting aspects of NHL proposal is aimed at punishing clubs more than players, with regard to existing back-diving deals.

Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

Sounds like it's not grandfathered, teams with long contracts are going to have to bend over.

Luongo is never leaving Vancouver.

Socreges

Banned

TURN THAT SHIT DOWN, FEHR. STAY STRONG. WE CAN STILL LOSE THIS SEASON AND RETURN TO THE TABLE NEXT SUMMER

Marvie_3

Banned

By the time these contracts are up, those cap hits will be nothing.

Fei

I said they'd fight a 50/50 split, which they are, but the salary protections should put this one over the top. And honestly if we get 82 games I'm claiming a "pretty much correct" stance on that second one.

Hate to go all Socreges here but, if you'll look at your post from June:

Wait.... you seriously believe accepting a salary cap wasn't a major concession? They were the first major league to adopt one if I remember correctly... That's HUGE. Right now I think they get like 57% of revenues. Profits are still rising rapidly. I see no reason they shouldn't be able to extract .5% or something.

So you're clearly stating you expect the players share to INCREASE a touch, not go down to 50/50.

Socreges

Banned
For perspective, some contracts that could potentially fuck their teams if that detail goes through:

Luongo will be 42 in his last year
Bryz will be 39
Kovalchuk will be 41
Lecavalier will be 39
Ehrhoff will be 38 (most likely to reach the end of the contract)
Hossa will be 42
Zetterberg will be 40
Pronger will be 42 (might retire soon, too)
Richards will be 39

Fei said:
Hate to go all Socreges here but
I actually appreciate it. I knew bruce was full of shit, but all I could muster was an lol.

The lockout takes its toll on all of us.

Fei

BTW, if the Sabres real money payout in 2012-13 counts as their cap hit this year... maybe the PA should reject this proposal. Christ we have $75M pledged to next year. :lol

Edit: Soc, it was actually a lot easier than I thought. I am no longer amazed at your bookkeeping. ;)

Marvie_3

Banned
For perspective, some contracts that could potentially fuck their teams if that detail goes through:

Luongo will be 42 in his last year
Bryz will be 39
Kovalchuk will be 41
Lecavalier will be 39
Ehrhoff will be 38 (most likely to reach the end of the contract)
Hossa will be 42
Zetterberg will be 40
Pronger will be 42 (might retire soon, too)
Richards will be 39

I actually appreciate it. I knew bruce was full of shit, but all I could muster was an lol.

The lockout takes its toll on all of us.
He's on a 35+ contract already so his cap hit isn't going away no matter what.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I hope a modified version of this proposal is accepted. Not just because I want hockey back (OMG, Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Schultz, Hemsky, MPS, Yak, SQUEEEE), but also because it sounds like it's gonna have a clusterfuck effect on a bunch of teams. And that'll be fun to watch: teams will be screwed, but they'll inevitably find holes in the CBA to squirm through.

But who are we kidding? The NHLPA is going to:
1. Reject the offer
2. Wait a couple weeks
3. And propose a counteroffer wherein they still don't offer any compromises based on the current revenue #s

Sigh.

snack

You know... I've just been assuming Bettman was the one to blame for this lockout but after this proposal, it doesn't seem like he's the bad guy.

I'm wearing tinted glasses though. Been a Bettman hater forever. Maybe that's about to change? But who do I start hating on now? Loluongo?!

Fucking cap space...

Fei

Tyler Myers and Ehrhoff could combine for a $20M cap hit next year. Ville Leino's cap hit could go up to $6M last year. That's almost half the proposed cap for the year. Hahahaha fuck this cancel the season. My god.

....so this is why Burke hasn't done anything

Burke must have seen this coming for years if that's your measure!

Quick

Banned
....so this is why Burke hasn't done anything

It was projected in the summer that GMs won't be doing much due to the coming lockout.

Instead they went all out to get things done before the CBA expired.

I say Burke played it cool and knew whatever he did would screw the team over financially.

Montresor

Tyler Myers and Ehrhoff could combine for a $20M cap hit next year. Ville Leino's cap hit could go up to $6M last year. That's almost half the proposed cap for the year. Hahahaha fuck this cancel the season. My god.

Burke must have seen this coming for years if that's your measure!

What did I miss? All I see is that, THANKFULLY, the NHL is planning to punish teams that have the cap-circumventing deals by forcing that cap hit to remain on the books for the entire duration of the contract. Where do they say they're going to up the cap hit on players?

Top Bottom