• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Seriously, the NHL needs to bring in replacement players, like, now.

Slash the price of tickets, call up all your AHL guys to play in the bigs (no idea if they can even legally do this, but you get my point), and watch the NHL players cry in their soup for throwing away millions of dollars to play the game they love.

I'd be first in line to watch these games, just to prove the point that no individuals are not larger than the game itself. We cheer for the jersey, not the people wearing them.

This game deserves BETTER than these greedy, entitled pricks.

tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

Slash the price of tickets, call up all your AHL guys to play in the bigs (no idea if they can even legally do this, but you get my point), and watch the NHL players cry in their soup for throwing away millions of dollars to play the game they love.

I'd be first in line to watch these games, just to prove the point that no individuals are larger than the game itself. We cheer for the jersey, not the people wearing them.

You have my blade.

Marvie_3

Banned
@ChrisKuc: #Blackhawks' Toews on NHL's offer: "There’s no real effort there. It’s just a ploy to kind of sway the positive light back in their favor".

that's right folks, toews believe there's no effort

(yet we have yet to see ANYTHING from the NHLPA that resembles effort)
Never thought I'd say this twice in one month, but fuck off, Toews.

I'd be first in line to watch these games, just to prove the point that no individuals are larger than the game itself. We cheer for the jersey, not the people wearing them.

Exactly.

If they don't like the owners they can go find another league to play in.....
I've been saying this for a looong time.

Solo

Yeah, I fucking loathe the players, but lets be fair here - retired players are being fucking hypocrites. If they were still playing they'd be pushing the union agenda like the active players are.

Yeah, I fucking loathe the players, but lets be fair here - retired players are being fucking hypocrites. If they were still playing they'd be pushing the union agenda like the active players are.

At this point, the whole NHLPA is acting like one big hive mind. They'd almost be *forced* to agree with the current players outcry.

I'm yet to hear any conflicting opinions within a WHOLE FUCKING UNION of people.

CREMSteve

Fehr's response to the proposal...

"Simply put, the owners' new proposal, while not quite as Draconian as their previous proposals, still represents enormous reductions in player salaries and individual contracting rights," Fehr said in the letter. "As you will see, at the five percent industry growth rate the owners predict, the salary reduction over six years exceeds $1.6 billion. What do the owners offer in return?"

What do they offer in return?! How about JOBS for all of you to play hockey for millions of dollars? How can this man be so dense?

Former players have also said it wasn't worth losing a year's worth of salaries and one year out of their relatively short careers in the last lockout. They will never get that back.

Socreges

Banned
They'd be in a different mindset, sure, but they've definitely got the advantage of perspective and past experiences.

What happened to "it's an excellent start"? Isn't that what Fehr said yesterday? Is that now a retracted Freudian slip since it would undermine their bargaining position?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL...I knew it. I just knew Fehr would come out with garbage like this after that offer. I'm still believing there's a 75% chance they lose the whole year.

I'm also up for the idea of replacement players. Could be fun.

LOL...I knew it. I just knew Fehr would come out with garbage like this after that offer. I'm still believing there's a 75% chance they lose the whole year.

I still want the Phoenix GAFFER'S!! All Neogaf hockey team, wooo!!!

Illegal to use replacement workers in several Canadian Provinces

Socreges

Banned
So this is what Fehr actually said:

"I'd like to believe, after we are done [reviewing] this [offer], that it's an excellent starting point and there's a deal to be made''
Was misquoted constantly yesterday.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Random story: My brother played in his men's league the other night and the opposing team had a really good 6'8" defenseman. They were crushed 11-3.

He just now figured out that it was John Scott from the Sabres. Apparently he's training up there until the season starts.

Marvie_3

Banned
Random story: My brother played in his men's league the other night and the opposing team had a really good 6'8" defenseman. They were crushed 11-3.

He just now figured out that it was John Scott from the Sabres. Apparently he's training up there until the season starts.

That must be a really shitty men's league if John Scott can look like a good defenseman.

Anybody with a pro contract wouldn't be eligible. It's not gonna happen.

Fehr's response to the proposal..

What do they offer in return?! How about JOBS for all of you to play hockey for millions of dollars? How can this man be so dense?

This is ridiculous, and again shows a complete lack of economic analysis. The players offer a better product than the owners can produce otherwise. Let them lock out a full season. Hurts both sides. If Fehr can keep solidarity, which I think he can, they could do better than this deal. However, I think they really are just looking for a decent deal that can serve as a long term framework. The problem with that is Bettman will just say "it isn't good enough" at the end. Other leagues don't have this consistent problem. Why is it that the NHL can't maintain consistent labor peace like the other leagues? The answer is shitty financial management. Until that changes we're gonna have this problem every few years, regardless of who leads the PA.

I know people who had NHLers show up to their random league/pick-up games last lockout

The best I've played with is a couple former OHL players, and by former OHL player I mean a 42 year old ex-OHL goalie who was on my intramural team at U of Waterloo..... :p He worked at the school

Razorskin

----- ------

I call bullshit.

Plinko

I call bullshit.

LOL--compared to the other guys in the men's league? Probably appears to be really good. Isn't he known for being a fighter, though? Guess that wouldn't help him much.

It is absolutely amazing how easily almost all of you are swayed by the NHL's PR machine. I know a lot of it is because we're being denied hockey, but holy hell the vast majority of you would fucking suck at any form of negotiation.

It is so absolutely transparent that Bettman put this proposal out when he did in order to gain public support, by saying that he still wants to save the whole season, and that he's making "concessions".

It's still a shitty deal. A less shitty one than previously offered, so that is progress, but a shitty one nonetheless.

I can understand some ill will being vented towards the players since they're all millionaires and none of us are (probably!), but to listen to some of you say that they should get ripped off just because they should be lucky to have jobs is fucking laughable. They're the most skilled people in the entire world (minus some KHL blokes) at what they do, and what they do generates millions of dollars in revenue.

The players aren't blameless in all of this by a long shot, and I was sort of expecting this level of backlash since the NHL has a dedicated PR and marketing team that they're able to dip into when it comes to their public face (whereas the NHLPA has Fehr, who may be a strong negotiator, but can't do too much to make the players look good in the media). It was also clearly a mistake to allow the NHL to get back to the table first like this.

That being said, the owners towing the line that the league is bleeding money - despite reports directly to the contrary since the last lockout - is the chief reason why I'm not going to side with them this time. That, and trading cap space is fucking stupid.

Socreges

Banned
It is absolutely amazing how easily almost all of you are swayed by the NHL's PR machine. I know a lot of it is because we're being denied hockey, but holy hell the vast majority of you would fucking suck at any form of negotiation.

It is so absolutely transparent that Bettman put this proposal out when he did in order to gain public support, by saying that he still wants to save the whole season, and that he's making "concessions".

It's still a shitty deal. A less shitty one than previously offered, so that is progress, but a shitty one nonetheless.

I can understand some ill will being vented towards the players since they're all millionaires and none of us are (probably!), but to listen to some of you say that they should get ripped off just because they should be lucky to have jobs is fucking laughable. They're the most skilled people in the entire world (minus some KHL blokes) at what they do, and what they do generates millions of dollars in revenue.

The players aren't blameless in all of this by a long shot, and I was sort of expecting this level of backlash since the NHL has a dedicated PR and marketing team that they're able to dip into when it comes to their public face (whereas the NHLPA has Fehr, who may be a strong negotiator, but can't do too much to make the players look good in the media). It was also clearly a mistake to allow the NHL to get back to the table first like this.

That being said, the owners towing the line that the league is bleeding money - despite reports directly to the contrary since the last lockout - is the chief reason why I'm not going to side with them this time. That, and trading cap space is fucking stupid.
What the douche?

Because the NHLPA is the shittiest, most dysfunctional union in all pro sports in North America ?

When you fire your previous executive director in the middle of the night because he discovered via audits that Eric Lindros and friends were wasting millions of dollars from the union you know you're a joke organization.

The PA doesn't run the league. The owners are the ones who aren't running a profitable business. Blaming a union for a business' failure is always really simple, but there's no evidence here labor prices are too high. The league is making a profit. That just shows that the things costing money are the shitty management decisions like putting teams in markets where they can't succeed. The players' salaries are not what's preventing growth.

Mike Works gets it. Seriously, you guys are the reason there's no labor movement in America anymore. People stop listening to fucking basic economics the second a union gets involved. If demand for labor is greater the price of that labor goes up. It's really that simple. There's no indication of a decline in demand since we're seeing growth in the sport.

Top Bottom