• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Socreges

Banned
NBA is $58 million http://www.nba.com/2012/news/07/10/nba-salary-cap-release/index.html so with 30 teams thats with $1.74 billion on top of $4.3 billion in revenue... 40.4% (teams can go over)

Nfl cap is $120 million http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nf...l-salary-cap-set-120-6-million-211140326.html so with 32 teams....3.86 billion on top of $9.5 billion in revenue. 40% on the button. (Teams cannot go over)

MLB numbers are me taking the reported revenue for the league and adding all salaries together (rounding up to next million for every team so it's actually lower)

And as someone who advocates for teams in different markets... I've discussed this before where they could move like 4 franchises and they'd have to purge so many teams after that because at 57% the cap would surge astronomically high. Say you move a team to quebec, to toronto, to hamilton, to seattle. that would increase revenues right there bare minimum $300 million on gate receipts alone. the cap then slides up another $6-10 million, then the merch sales kick in and the tv deals for those new markets kick in, the cap slides up another $6-10 million. so now we are at the point where players are getting paid upwards of $90 million per team and the floor is around $70 million. What happens to the teams that were healthy before? That's a jump from the average player salary from $2 million to $3-3.5. (Max around $4.5)

Remember, 18 teams lost money. You can't expect every team to perform like the canadiens or the leafs. They'd still be artificially raising the floor. The new teams would make the middle teams bankrupt (so to speak) at a snap of the finger. Basically making them unsellable assets (see: coyotes)

The problem isn't the markets, it's the player %. Without the extra leeway, the teams in those markets (basically the bottom 15) can't actively advertise the game. Just existing isn't good enough. It needs a solid fucking presence. It's the NHLs largest problem by far. If player costs were to go down to the other 3 leagues rates, sure... Owners would pocket some, yes... But there'd be a LOT more investment. You drop to that level, revenue sharing is a lot easier. It takes money to make money and unfortunately, the players aren't the only way to advertise the game.

The CBA has become a really complicated mess and the NHL with it.

And for growth... Remember Canadian dollar, 2 years ago was NBC deal and jets was last year. Revenue gains were about to hit a brick wall. The lockout was absolutely necessary because if NHL extended, nhlpa would option the $70.2 mil cap which would be a projection of $3.7 billion in revenue ($2.1 billion player share, $500 mil more than nba) - players would have striked next year anyways because the money would have went into escrow and never paid back (the mechanism for cap increase is based on previous year gain so they'd be overpaying big time due to rev plateau)

I do understand where the players are coming from but they need perspective. They don't realize that they are inadvertently killing the league they play for.

Always thinking in the now.

Oh and yes every team should be ABLE to profit. Right now there are teams without a real avenue of profiting.

EDIT SOORRRRY had wrong nfl rev fig. Still 40%
You bourgeoisie sycophant, suckling at the owners' teet. You are the reason why unions are collapsing around us. You are the reason why players might have to start shopping at Costco to support their families. Don't you know that owners control the means of production? Only a revolutionary vanguard led by comrade Donald Fehr can change the course of history... by negotiating a 53/47 cut instead of 50/50.

Revenant

You bourgeoisie sycophant, suckling at the owners' teet. You are the reason why unions are collapsing around us. You are the reason why players might have to start shopping at Costco to support their families. Don't you know that owners control the means of production? Only a revolutionary vanguard led by comrade Donald Fehr can change the course of history... by negotiating a 53/47 cut instead of 50/50.

Why I hear the Owners are about to call in the Pinkertons to deal with these poor impoverished lads, oh heavens I cannot bear to see such cruel unjust treatment.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Apparently John Shannon and doug maclean suggest Canucks will be trading luongo to the leafs when CBA is signed - "all but done"

Yah yah, likeliness of it happening is about as high as Donald fehr negotiating in good faith

But whatever

RC

Banned
Apparently John Shannon and doug maclean suggest Canucks will be trading luongo to the leafs when CBA is signed - "all but done"

Yah yah, likeliness of it happening is about as high as Donald fehr negotiating in good faith

But whatever

A man can dream can't he, a man can dream.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

But whatever
So many mixed emotions if this happens.

But whatever

rofl where did this come from? how is there any news on player movement during a dang lockout

is this part of the joke rumors from Reimer practicing with Canucks players while he was in Vancouver?

And Michael Grange has an article that makes some sense

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/10/18/grange_nhlpa_don_fehr_keeping_unity/

"Theyve been exposed. This team is an out and out embarrasment. Fuck them. Seriously I'm done. Count this as an official give up on the season for me. Even if they win the cup I won't even celebrate. Mark it down. I'm done."

hmmmmm

Can't wait till this lockout is over so I can go back to not watching the Rangers

is this part of the joke rumors from Reimer practicing with Canucks players while he was in Vancouver?

Well if that's the case then :

6a00d83451b26169e2017ee3ec3e70970d-pi

Lou is already in Florida. Lol

Surge

I could be off base but I think any talks involving Luongo to the Leafs would start with Gillis trying to get Jake Gardiner out of the deal.

At that point, I'd laugh and hang the phone up if I was Burke.

DopeyFish

What's their rumored proposal? Fehr pissing on a piece of paper and handing it to Bettman?

54-52-51-50-50-50

They want old HRR and no system to pay across the term - all contracts guaranteed

Sounds like they are attacking escrow, though.

did they ever define what HRR is? old vs new?

There are no changes in the definition of HRR in the current NHL proposal. Some players were indicating that there were so the NHL posted the whole thing on their website.

There was a statement that both sides need to agree on the HRR definition but I believe that was put in there because Fehr demanded that Glendale's 25M payment to the NHL should be counted as HRR, the NHL disagreed and they eventually settled.

I imagine the NHL doesn't want any surprises like that in the future so it's an invitation to "speak now or forever hold your peace" type deal. NHL simply wants the PA to fully agree on the existing HRR definition so there's no problems down the road.

CrankyJay

Banned
There are no changes in the definition of HRR in the current NHL proposal. Some players were indicating that there were so the NHL posted the whole thing on their website.

There was a statement that both sides need to agree on the HRR definition but I believe that was put in there because Fehr demanded that Glendale's 25M payment to the NHL should be counted as HRR, the NHL disagreed and they eventually settled.

I imagine the NHL doesn't want any surprises like that in the future so it's an invitation to "speak now or forever hold your peace" type deal. NHL simply wants the PA to fully agree on the existing HRR definition so there's no problems down the road.

Nice, thanks for that.

Hopefully they can get something done this week.

calder

TODAY IS GONNA BE THE DAY THAT THEY'RE GONNA THROW IT BACK TO YOU

By now they shoulda somehow realized that any offer ending at 50/50 on the last year only if revenues continue at their record breaking level would be a tough sell. I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about the likelihood of the newest counteroffer being a workable starting point sadly.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Seems to me, players/owners there so they can see dynamic first-hand. When things go to $#!+ can go back and tell brethern, we did our best.

I'm no labor expert but my experiences suggest there's direct correlation between how many people in room and how much is NOT accomplished.

So NHLPA is going into today's meeting with 18 players including Sid and NHL is going in with four owners including Jeremy Jacobs.

Doesn't look good at all. Both sides bringing out their big names and doing a big show of solidarity and digging in.

If NHLPA counter today works off NHL proposal, there'll be traction/negotiation. If NHLPA counter is different conceptually, it'll be Fugly.

Sounds about right

fallout

By now they shoulda somehow realized that any offer ending at 50/50 on the last year only if revenues continue at their record breaking level would be a tough sell. I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about the likelihood of the newest counteroffer being a workable starting point sadly.
ABOUT YOU NOWWWWOOOOWWWW

gcubed

Is Sid even old enough to negotiate, wouldn't all these numbers make his head hurt again? He's definitely not there for his looks

calder

Poor Sid, The Onion's absolute favourite hockey player ever.

Concussed Sidney Crosby Makes Rambling Appeal To End NHL Labor Dispute
NEW YORK—As labor negotiations continue between the league and players’ union, a severely concussed Sidney Crosby reportedly made a rambling, largely incoherent appeal to team owners Thursday to end the NHL lockout. “We have to get back out there by September for all the fans in Pittsbell [sic] and before Stanley,” said the Pittsburgh Penguins star, who reportedly trailed off in the middle of several sentences and at one point began bleeding from his left ear. “I want to score the cup, and why can’t we that? Not without the airplane on the bus. We need to get the pucks, because of ketchup in—after the movie.” Sources confirmed that Crosby then stared silently at the floor for several minutes before suddenly looking up and asking who he was.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Aaron Ward‏@aaronward_nhl

Per player source,NHLPA #CBA proposal "should be interesting today because it comes closer to NHL ideology". #TSN

DopeyFish

Apparently NHLPA offer today will be close to NHLs with some alterations

This

Makes me hopefulllll ahhhhhhh

The rev % needs to be the same though or very close to it or at least a scale down

I think PA might be going below what NHL wanted but wants to duke out some of their rights a bit

Top Bottom