• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Having four of the original six in your division coming through your barn every year is a punishment? Jesus, do you want some kind of euro promotion/relegation system or what?

This is a good thing. Your teams have to improve now since they can't rely on those points they would otherwise get from the Playskool division they were in before.

It's not just about Florida, it's about EVERYONE. I'm sure Detroit fans don't give a shit about those scrub teams coming through their arena either.

If you don't make the playoffs eventually, a team composed of recent top draft picks will become demoralized over time. As those young players begin to enter their last year on their entry or maybe second contract, they'll one by one want to bail out of town. This happened to the Panthers just a few years ago (Edmonton maybe rapidly approaching that point as well).

If you don't make the playoffs eventually, a team composed of recent top draft picks will become demoralized over time. As those young players begin to enter their last year on their entry or maybe second contract, they'll one by one want to bail out of town. This happened to the Panthers just a few years ago (Edmonton maybe rapidly approaching that point as well).

Where are you going with this? This should be good.

Slurmer

Banned
Not with this coach and system. Not unless it's a clone of Hasek. It's funny, JVR had nothing to do with the quick turnaround. He didn't play until 09-10.
Yep. It was richards/carter stepping up, the addition of briere, and biron was a pretty decent starter for us against teams outside of pittsburgh.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone here watch "The Last Gladiators" documentary on Chris Nilan and other NHL enforcers? I just got around to it today, and it's pretty fantastic. Recommended watch for any hockey fan.

Where are you going with this? This should be good.

I'm saying putting very weak teams in a division with many very competitive teams may hurt such franchises even if they draft very well.

Given the leases of those franchises, such teams also cannot be moved easily. So, if a franchise struggles for years in a small-market and it will put more strain on the revenue sharing program. The bigger markets will have to give even more money to the smaller markets, which may force the bigger markets to raise ticket prices to make up the difference.

Marvie_3

Banned
Boooo, I want to see Toronto vs Toronto 20 times a season, we need the Toronto divison

Leafs vs. Other Leafs vs. Raptors vs. Blue Jays vs. Roughriders

I'm saying putting very weak teams in a division with many very competitive teams may hurt such franchises even if they draft very well.

Given the leases of those franchises, such teams also cannot be moved easily. So, if a franchise struggles for years in a small-market and it will put more strain on the revenue sharing program. The bigger markets will have to give even more money to the smaller markets, which may force the bigger markets to raise ticket prices to make up the difference.
They're doing that just by being in the same division. Panthers/Lightning are going to sell a lot more tickets at higher prices for games against BOS/MON/TOR/DET than they would against CAR/NSH/CBJ/etc.

There are certain rules for getting revenue sharing money in the NHL as well. You can't just sit at the bottom and leech money like you can in MLB.

Putting weak teams in a division of weak teams hurts their draft position anyway since they're scumming points from equally poor opponents. Add to that the fact that nobody wants to see a game between shit teams and I think you've got a pretty good argument against letting the little ones play in their sandbox all season until one gets pulled out to get spanked by one of the big boys.

Allow in-seat wagering while at the games

That's brilliant. They can make a bunch of proposition bets for every period for people to bet on and boom, instant drama. Trash littering the ice after every period, death threats to Kesler for dumping it in and changing instead of scoring a fucking goal like he was supposed to. It would be magical.

Curufinwe

That's how I would have done it. Pittsburgh is closer to Detroit and Columbus than it is to Philadelphia and you wouldn't have to have an entire division in between the Florida teams and the rest of their division.

The Pitt/Philly rivalry is hot now but preserving it shouldn't be the reason the Florida teams end up in a division with Montreal and Boston when they fit much better in the Atlantic.

Marvie_3

Banned
The Pitt/Philly rivalry is hot now but preserving it shouldn't be the reason the Florida teams end up in a division with Montreal and Boston when they fit much better in the Atlantic.

Exactly. They've been split before and they don't play in the same division in any other sport. They've not even in the same conference in the NFL. I don't really see the big deal with separating them.

They're doing that just by being in the same division. Panthers/Lightning are going to sell a lot more tickets at higher prices for games against BOS/MON/TOR/DET than they would against CAR/NSH/CBJ/etc.

There are certain rules for getting revenue sharing money in the NHL as well. You can't just sit at the bottom and leech money like you can in MLB.

Are Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit really even that big of draws in Tampa and southern Florida? I guess there are probably statistics somewhere, but I'm too lazy to try to search for them.

I always thought most transplants from northern North American cities in Florida were from Boston and New York. I thought Phoenix was the main metro area for Detroit's diaspora.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Are Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit really even that big of draws in Tampa and southern Florida? I guess there are probably statistics somewhere, but I'm too lazy to try to search for them.

I always thought most transplants from northern North American cities in Florida were from Boston and New York. I thought Phoenix was the main metro area for Detroit's diaspora.
It's not Tampa or Florida, but when I was at the Canes / Habs game last week there was a looootttt of Habs fans, and an Ole chant broke out pretty clearly.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yes. Any time Detroit plays in Tampa or Florida's arena it's like a Detroit home game.

Curufinwe

Exactly. They've been split before and they don't play in the same division in any other sport. They've not even in the same conference in the NFL. I don't really see the big deal with separating them.

Everything lasts forever, including hockey rivalries. That's why people are so upset that Detroit and Colorado won't be in the same conference anymore.

Clemmer?
tracey-jordan-nope.gif

Got better things to do.

Top Bottom