• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Montresor

The new divisions are so fucking dumb. Leafs are never making the playoffs again. If Detroit doesn't decline, then you have Boston and Detroit guaranteed a spot every year. So the Leafs will have to compete for two spots against Montreal, Ottawa, Florida, Tampa, and Buffalo. =/ If Montreal is for real, and if Ottawa is healthy next year, that's an automatic miss for the playoffs in 2014.

Are they implementing a wild card, some way for a lesser Eastern team to make the Western playoffs?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
It still blows my mind that none of the teams in the Central are actually in the central time zone.

Yeah, that's pretty dumb, too. They should be named like before the last realignment (Norris, Smythe, etc).

Realigning now seems ill-conceived given the instability of Phoenix. I get that the Jets had to move to the West, but they should probably nail down where the Coyotes will playing before redrawing all the divisions.

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

There are wildcard spots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
C-Division Champs 2014, baby!

Also, if Phoenix goes to Quebec City next season, won't Detroit just be sent back to the Central...Mid-West ("B") division?

Analysts have already stated that Columbus will be the one going back to the Central.

gaming_noob

There's a rumor that the Capitals and Leafs are in discussion regarding a Center...any chance that it could be Backstrom over Ribeiro?

If they want Kessel, Gardiner and a 1st let them take it!!!!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
These uneven divisions are totally retarded. They just made following the league unnecessarily complicated. Don't even get me started on Tampa and Florida being in Div C....

Only way I can see this working fairly in the long run is if Florida stays in Miami or moves to Quebec, Phoenix stays in Phoenix or moves to another location in the Division A area(Seattle or Vegas) and there's an expansion team in Div A(Seattle or Vegas) and an expansion team in Div B(Kansas City or Houston). Even then, I'm not sure I see Florida moving since their attendance numbers aren't that bad this season, getting Quebec in the league in that scnario would be a logistical nightmare and would probably require a new realignment.

And if the league contracted, who would be on the hotseat? Florida? NYI? Columbus?

This is like the worst realignment ever.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
There's a rumor that the Capitals and Leafs are in discussion regarding a Center...any chance that it could be Backstrom over Ribeiro?

No way in hell. It would have to be a vast overpayment. If we got rid of a high salary it would be Oveckhin.

Acid08

Banned
No way in hell. It would have to be a vast overpayment. If we got rid of a high salary it would be Oveckhin.
I really hope we see a trade for Ovechkin. Would be really interesting to see what Washington could get for him and what team is desperate enough to take that salary.

Colorado

Spl1nter

WTF that would be ridiculous overpayment. If Leafs and Caps are in discussion my guess the leafs are interested in either Backstrom or Johansson.

Payment for Backstrom I imagine would depend on if Caps need a winger or center back. I think Kulemin, Gardiner, 1st would be about right value wise.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Hamrlik's playing tonight after spending the week going through conditioning training. And Eminger is offiicially our fifth defenseman for the time being, so Bickel and Gilroy look like the scratches tonight.

No word if Asham is back yet or not. I'm guessing probably not. Lundqvist in net.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Lol Ovechkin has it easy in Washington with the nonexistent pressure from the local media. I would love to see him go to a Canadian team and try to deal with that.

He needs to train with Stamkos or someone in the offseason who actually cares about improving as a player. Whatever it takes to light a spark for his desire to play the game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

It would obviously be Ribeiro seeing as he is a UFA after this year. Whatever it would take to pry Backstrom from the Caps would be too much.

McPhee would need have a stroke to trade Backstrom without a #1 center going the other way, and that is assuming he'd even consider trading him.

Pending UFA Ribeiro makes way more sense.

gaming_noob

WTF that would be ridiculous overpayment. If Leafs and Caps are in discussion my guess the leafs are interested in either Backstrom or Johansson.

Backstrom - 25 years old, 6 more years at a cap hit of 6.7 Million.

I don't think it would be overpayment. In fact I think the Leafs would need to add another young NHL ready player or prosect.

Gaming Noob, I swear you're just a Leafs troll.

No I really like the Leafs and have been following them since 97...

Spl1nter

Backstrom - 25 years old, 6 more years at a cap hit of 6.7 Million.

I don't think it would be overpayment. In fact I think the Leafs would need to add another young NHL ready player or prosect.

Kessel has close to the same value as Backstrom. Gardiner has the value of a top 5 1st, plus a mid 1st in a deep draft would be ridiculous. Ribeiro is resigning with the caps. It was said everyone wants him back.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It just frustrates me because you know Oveckhin still has the talent but he doesn't even try half the time. I know he wouldn't put up his old numbers but if he put in 100% effort each night he would be doing great.

Kessel is not worth as much as Backstrom...

Red_Man

No I really like the Leafs and have been following them since 97...
Congrats Leafs-Age, you've found your Tabris!

Kessel has close to the same value as Backstrom. Gardiner has the value of a top 5 1st, plus a mid 1st in a deep draft would be ridiculous.
iRrnp7ix26vuA.gif

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Ribiero is staying. I don't think we'll pay what he could get in the summer so I see him leaving at the deadline. He should get a decent return due to Getzlaf resigning and Weiss being injured. If we let him walk for free I will flip out and stop supporting the team.

Red_Man

I don't think Ribiero is staying. I don't think we'll pay what he could get in the summer so I see him leaving at the deadline.
With how the Caps season has gone, it doesn't make sense to keep him. Get some picks and rack up in this years draft.

I was gunning for that title. :(
When your parents told you you could be anything you wanted, they were lying.

So the Sabres end up in a division with Detroit.

Oh.

Oh god.

I'll miss you, playoffs.

The Central will be a warzone, pretty much every team is gooning it up. You can probably expect one team to injure itself out of the playoffs and one healthy team to coast in every year.

Top Bottom