• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Murray is kind of awful though isn't he?

Only redeeming thing about him is his solid size and hits, THATS IT. He can't pass, can't skate, can't shoot.

also leaving this here:
cdEoubs.jpg

Acid08

Banned
PollakOnSharks 11:03am via Web Murray on trade: "San Jose has become home for me and I’m leaving with an empty feeling with the teams we had here not getting it done."

Kinda made me sad :(

Even if his play has been awful this season he was still one of THE Sharks. Been with us for a while, will miss you Cranky. Feels like a culture change and retooling will be coming for this club. Bring it on.

Acid08

Banned
Also the 2014 2nd is conditioned on the Pens winning two playoff series, not if he resigns. It becomes a 3rd if they don't make it that far.

Cake Boss

Banned
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m
More on Murray deal: the 2nd pick in 2014 based on Pitt winning 2 playoff rounds OR resigning him and if neither occurs, it's a 3rd in 2014

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow.

Flames wants a 1st, top prospect and another prospect for Iginla.

CIb7DdD.gif

Yep. Waiting for Ken Holland to screw over Detroit and make this deal for Jarnkrok, Filppula, and a 1st.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Prust not coming on the trip to Pittsburgh and Boston, and Bourque might be out for the whole season. This fucking sucks, real test with Pens / Bruins without Prust with the team.

Cat Party

Kinda made me sad :(

Even if his play has been awful this season he was still one of THE Sharks. Been with us for a while, will miss you Cranky. Feels like a culture change and retooling will be coming for this club. Bring it on.
Yup. Hard to stomach this but the hard moves are necessary to get this team back on track.

Stasis

Nash, Stralman, and Miller all did not take part in practice today. It was not an optional practice. Hopefully there's nothing to it.

Kreider was still with Richards and Gaborik was still with Boyle during practice, though, so Gaborik's demotion to the third line might be permanent for the time being.

Zip said Nash and Stralman were "out for maintenance", so probably just some R&R on a few bumps and bruises, or perhaps Torts is pissy with Stralman for his "casual" play. Miller has something with his wrist.

Curufinwe

Nice job from Kerry Fraser explaining how the refs and the Player Safety Committee screwed up dealing with Nash's flying elbow.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=419086

Now let me weigh in on the Player Safety Committee and a review of their decision that does not serve as a deterrent for players to act in responsible manner moving forward. Far too many excuses are made to allow a 'free pass' when poor player decisions are made but do not result in some form of injury through good luck. The verbiage used by Brendan Shanahan in this decision casts some of the responsibility on Tomas Kopecky for turning prior to contact which he says contributes to the impact of the hit. There was a sufficient gap when Kopecky turned to shoot the puck for Nash to alter his method of delivering a high hit in the region of his opponents head. There was absolutely no reason for Rick Nash to leave his feet, raise and lead with his elbow and deliver the high, blind side hit high on Tomas Kopecky.

I do not agree with the assertion that Kopecky's shoulder and name plate on his sweater was the principle point of contact and that Nash's arm riding up caused Thomas Kopecky to lose his helmet and fall forward. The Florida Panther broadcast showed a replay from the blue line camera after coming out of a commercial break that demonstrates Rick Nash's elbow striking the back of Kopecky's helmet simultaneously with the name plate and not as a result of a secondary ride-up. This puts into question the Committee's assertion that Tomas Kopecky's head was not contacted nor was it the principle point of contact on the blindside hit delivered by Rick Nash. If that is the Committee's contention are we really just an inch or two (or a name plate away) from determining this to be hit that should be eliminated from the game. Can we not at least agree that any elevated blindside contact delivered with a player's elbow has more potential to seriously injure an opponent than not and should be banished from the game. Must we rely on "good luck" to protect players when decisions such as this are made?

For players to be protected from these dangerous hits the culture of hitting must change. That can only take place through on-ice enforcement by the Referees whenever dangerous hit occur and through player accountability through suspensions.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ovechkin: "Right now I'm scoring goals and I'm king of the world. Couple weeks I was almost in the toilet. Maybe [they] forgot to flush me."

Oh ovi.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Zip said Nash and Stralman were "out for maintenance", so probably just some R&R on a few bumps and bruises, or perhaps Torts is pissy with Stralman for his "casual" play. Miller has something with his wrist.

The last time they used the "maintenance day" excuse Nash didn't play for over a week.

Guys, Eklund says the hawks are front runners!!!1!

...I swear to fuck if this is the one time he's right and the Hawks overpay to put Iginla on his off-wing, I'm going to go smash shit in Bowman's office.

Marvie_3

Banned

Alucard

Banned
Murray? Not sure what the point of this trade is unless Letang's situation is more serious than originally thought. I can see Shero bringing in vets to Wings up the team a bit. Seems like Shero is definitely in "win it this season" mode. I have no problem with that.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice job from Kerry Fraser explaining how the refs and the Player Safety Committee screwed dealing with Nash's flying elbow.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=419086

Two things.

1) There is no "region of the head." You either hit somebody in the head, or you don't hit somebody in the head. It's that kind of nebulous wishy-washy BS that has players confused in the first place. Create a definition that can be clearly and easily defined and articulated and then stick with it. This is a fast moving sport. No matter where you place the threshold of what is and is not "ok" you're always going to have things that are "an inch or two away" from being something that should be eliminated from the game. The fact that it was close to being a suspendable hit does not make it a suspendable hit.

2) Kerry Fraser must be blind because there are numerous camera angles, including the specific one he mentioned, that CLEARLY show Nash makes contact with both of his arms right in Kopecky's back. It's only as he comes back down and Kopecky begins to fall to the ice that he makes contact with his head and Kopecky's helmet comes flying off. Not only that but Kopecky's helmet came off SEVERAL times in that game because he barely had the damn thing strapped on.

It's a penalty. It's clearly charging. Possibly even a charging major. It's the responsibility of the officials on the ice to make that call and issue the proper punishment for it. It's not the league's job to swoop in and say "well, the refs on the ice fucked up so instead of the 5 minutes in the penalty box you were supposed to get now you don't get to play for 2 games." Having your superstar top scorer in the penalty box for 5 minutes should be a pretty big deterrent in the first place, but it only works as a deterrent if the officiating for this type of thing is consistent.

Two things.

1) There is no "region of the head." You either hit somebody in the head, or you don't hit somebody in the head. It's that kind of nebulous wishy-washy BS that has players confused in the first place. Create a definition that can be clearly and easily defined and articulated and then stick with it. This is a fast moving sport. No matter where you place the threshold of what is and is not "ok" you're always going to have things that are "an inch or two away" from being something that should be eliminated from the game. The fact that it was close to being a suspendable hit does not make it a suspendable hit.

2) Kerry Fraser must be blind because there are numerous camera angles, including the specific one he mentioned, that CLEARLY show Nash makes contact with both of his arms right in Kopecky's back. It's only as he comes back down and Kopecky begins to fall to the ice that he makes contact with his head and Kopecky's helmet comes flying off. Not only that but Kopecky's helmet came off SEVERAL times in that game because he barely had the damn thing strapped on.

It's a penalty. It's clearly charging. Possibly even a charging major. It's the responsibility of the officials on the ice to make that call and issue the proper punishment for it. It's not the league's job to swoop in and say "well, the refs on the ice fucked up so instead of the 5 minutes in the penalty box you were supposed to get now you don't get to play for 2 games." Having your superstar top scorer in the penalty box for 5 minutes should be a pretty big deterrent in the first place, but it only works as a deterrent if the officiating for this type of thing is consistent.

Can you please stop defending this shit?

Cake Boss

Banned
Two things.

ibfivDNl0HMnbp.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Can you please stop defending this shit?

Defending what shit? The LEAGUE defended "this shit." I've been saying what the league's position was going to be since 24 hours before the league gave its position. I've said it was a bad hit over and over and that it should have been a major penalty. And it should have. Because that's what it was. But based on what seems to be the league's standards, it wasn't a suspendable hit. It didn't hit his head, it didn't injure him, and the player making the hit didn't have a history. Those are pretty much the three bullet points that Shanahan always hits in his video explanations, and here they are ALL misses. Open and shut case.

If the argument is that the league ought to have completely different standards for determining these things in the future, then that's a completely different conversation.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tough to get a lot for Iginla when he'll only accept a trade to 4 NHL teams. Look at what happened with Nash.
All those teams want him and are cup contenders though, slight difference. Morrow off the market should push up Iggys price as well.

Alucard

Banned
I don't want the Pens going after Iginla if it involves giving up Bennett and a first rounder. Pretty sure Shero getting Morrow was his "get a veteran winger" move. Curious to see the lines once Malkin is healthy.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Bennett/Morrow
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Adams-Jeffrey/Vitale

Team looks mighty good to me. Gonna be hard to decide which guy to sit. Maybe Glass?

Acid08

Banned
All those teams want him and are cup contenders though, slight difference. Morrow off the market should push up Iggys price as well.
Does Pittsburgh have any prospects to trade? They seen like the most likely to give up the future for him. They obviously want a Cup bad this year.

Cake Boss

Banned
When a player comes across the ice and does a drive by hop like a fucking kangaroo on top of a guy's neck or head then that shit needs to be punished.

And I don't give a shit if the league agrees with you, that's not exactly a glowing endorsement for your argument, its actually the opposite seeing how incompetent this league has become, just look at the lockout, not exactly the brightest minds that are in charge of this league.

Top Bottom