• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Some late night tweeting... The Canadiens received a pretty serious offer for Andrei Markov, but rejected. Might counter. Prefer to keep him......Markov wants to stay a Hab and retire in MTL. Both sides will continue to negotiate an extension.
Trading him would leave a pretty big hole in our lineup, but we're not winning a cup in the next 2-3 years. I'm curious as to what would be included in this package.

yes, his first ever shootout attempt.

Needless to say, he failed.

But hey, given that nobody on the Canucks can score anyway, it was worth a try. :lol He did better than Booth for what it's worth.
That's funny, I'll have to check it out. Shows you the state that Canuck's shootouts are in at the moment.

Leeness

Start playing more like Team Canada, you mostly American and Swedish schmucks. :(

Also lol at Lack's Herbal Essence moment somewhere between one of the shoot out rounds. Adorable.

PowerlessSlightKookaburra.gif

wat am i even looking at

trifelife

David Booth has been a pleasure to watch over the last few years. Constantly making good decisions with the puck, always staying on his feet. Worth every dollar. When the Canucks couldn't buy out his contract in the offseason due to injury... well, thank God. Just like David does!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Stolen comment: Kruger is like that dude at the foosball table constantly spinning the bar because "that's how you play"

Socreges

Banned
Nice of Parise

First Ep of True Detective down. damn this show is great, matthew mcconaughey is stellar in this.
Time it so you're just ready for Episode 8 by next Sunday.

Might go down as my favourite show ever depending on how these last two eps are.

Red_Man

Wouldn't surprise me if the Penguins landed Kesler. McGuire said today he was talking to a GM who is going to be gunning for him, and McGuire is very close friends with Ray Shero and spends a lot of time with him, and the Penguins have the depth of prospects needed for a package to get him.

Socreges

Banned
I feel like Kesler would be redundant on the Pens. Like Staal was. And he's not nearly as effective on the wing.

Seems like a weird fit for him, but if they're willing to pony up some top prospects...

Red_Man

Assuming he wants to go to a contender and that Gillis doesn't want to move him within the conference, that leaves Boston & Pittsburgh. For some reason I don't see him going to Boston.

Red_Man

Actually, I'm almost positive it was Shero he was talking about, since he was in Chicago today to prepare for the Penguins / Hawks game that he'll be covering. Shero is usually pretty busy at the deadline too.

Smiley90

Assuming he wants to go to a contender and that Gillis doesn't want to move him within the conference, that leaves Boston & Pittsburgh. For some reason I don't see him going to Boston.

-looks at Pens prospect-

They DID mention Sutter, Pouliot + for Kesler, but uuh we already are alright on D... we need forward prospects. Pouliot has an 8.0 ranking on hockeysfuture, not bad though.

So I'm in line for the washroom, with a very drunk Kesler in front if me.

What are you doing at the Roxy? Alternatively, are you sure that's not just some dude in a Kesler jersey? After 5 pitchers, I don't believe you.

RC

Banned
-looks at Pens prospect-

They DID mention Sutter, Pouliot + for Kesler, but uuh we already are alright on D... we need forward prospects. Pouliot has an 8.0 ranking on hockeysfuture, not bad though.

What are you doing at the Roxy? Alternatively, are you sure that's not just some dude in a Kesler jersey? After 5 pitchers, I don't believe you.

Parlour Yaletown. Now a very drunk dancing John Shorthouse walked in.

And it was most definitely Kesler. I'd recognize that nose anywhere.

Red_Man

-looks at Pens prospect-

If the Canucks move Edler, how many blue chip D prospects do they have? They have Shinkurak & Horvat now, and I don't see a team moving a big time forward prospect for him. If he's willing to move to simply a playoff team and not strictly a contender then that changes things.

Smiley90

If the Canucks move Edler, how many blue chip D prospects do they have? They have Shinkurak & Horvat now, and I don't see a team moving a big time forward prospect for him. If he's willing to move to simply a playoff team and not strictly a contender then that changes things.

Well, Tanev is still young and he's already a great shutdown D. Stanton is decent and still young. We have Corrado and Tommernes playing decently lower who can probably step up at some point, and then we still have Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison around, too. So unless we move Edler AND someone else, spots are gonna be limited for playtime.

I'm not gonna complain if we get another great D prospect (especially if he's top4/top2 calibre as we don't have too many of those. Tanev is already playing as a top2 dman at least), but AT LEAST Edler needs to be moved or nobody's ever gonna get any decent minutes to actually play and improve.

Red_Man

Bieska & Hamhuis are both getting up there in age and if Vancouver is truly rebuilding / retooling whatever you want to call it, both of those guys will probably be moved in the next two years. Philly is still always a destination too, specifically since they offer sheeted Kesler previously. It's important to note as well that a couple of Pittsburghs D prospects are ready to play in the NHL now too, but are victims of the depth the Pens have.

Smiley90

Bieska & Hamhuis are both getting up there in age and if Vancouver is truly rebuilding / retooling whatever you want to call it, both of those guys will probably be moved in the next two years. Philly is still always a destination too, specifically since they offer sheeted Kesler previously.

See, I just don't see them getting moved. Hamhuis for similar reasons as the Sedins (too valuable, too involved in the club/community), and Bieksa because every team goddamn hates him apparently. He's also part of the team identity. I can see Garrison being moved though, he hasn't exactly endeared himself in his time here.

But I guess if Kesler is being moved, there's nothing directly speaking against Hamhuis being moved. But he IS by far our best Defenseman, so....... it's not just gonna be for nothing.

So we have Tanev as a potential/already top2, Corrado/Stanton as potential top4's/current top6's and Tommernes/McNally/Blain as potential top6's.

That's my point of view, at least.

For forward we have Horvat/Shinkaruk that can be top6 players, Schroeder/Jensen/Gaunce that can be top9 and... uh... that's about it. Maybe Fox who we just signed and not drafted because he's been having a great year in the OHL as an over-agers.

That's why I'm saying we're much less deep for forward prospects than d-prospects.

Red_Man

See, I just don't see them getting moved. Hamhuis for similar reasons as the Sedins (too valuable, too involved in the club/community), and Bieksa because every team goddamn hates him apparently. He's also part of the team identity. I can see Garrison being moved though, he hasn't exactly endeared himself in his time here.
Everyone hated Lapierre and he's found his way on 3 different contenders, Bieska is a valuable guy, he could be moved. As for Hamhuis, I think you're putting too much stock into this community stuff, if Alfredsson, Iginla, Lecavalier, MSL can all be moved, anyone can. As you point out, Kesler also shows how in the grand scheme of things, this isn't ultimately the determining factor for players.

Smiley90 said:
For forward we have Horvat/Shinkaruk that can be top6 players, Schroeder/Jensen/Gaunce that can be top9 and... uh... that's about it. Maybe Fox who we just signed and not drafted because he's been having a great year in the OHL as an over-agers.

That's why I'm saying we're much less deep for forward prospects than d-prospects.
True, but if you get some good D prospects as well as a 1st and 2nd round pick or something like that, then you guys can focus on using those early picks on forwards in the draft to compensate.

Smiley90

Everyone hated Lapierre and he's found his way on 3 different contenders, Bieska is a valuable guy, he could be moved. As for Hamhuis, I think you're putting too much stock into this community stuff, if Alfredsson, Iginla, Lecavalier, MSL can all be moved, anyone can. As you point out, Kesler also shows how in the grand scheme of things, this isn't ultimately the determining factor for players.

True, but if you get some good D prospects as well as a 1st and 2nd round pick or something like that, then you guys can focus on using those early picks on forwards in the draft to compensate.

Yeah I'm not gonna say no to good prospects in general, I'd just rather have forward than D-prospects, that's all I'm saying. :p

I just like to think we don't trade ALL the community-heavy players at once and destroy the whole team identity in one big blast. That's too much "blowing it up" in a literal sense for my personal comfort.

RC

Banned
This kind of talk depresses me. It was nice to cheer for a team that was slightly older than me.
I don't want to cheer for a bunch of fuck's born in the 90's.

Socreges

Banned
Yes please to Pouliot. Yes we need forwards, but he has a much better chance of being a Top2 guy than any of our prospects. Those are the ones you want, no one needs a dozen bottom pairing dmen.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Kuznetsov is able to come over early if Traktor
miss the playoffs. I don't have anything to be excited about as a Caps fan. We don't have a defense.

Hah, great OT.

Now to figure out how to be productive for the next 5 hours 'til it's time to watch the Flyers shit the bed against the Rags.

rellix

I feel like Kesler would be redundant on the Pens. Like Staal was. And he's not nearly as effective on the wing.

Seems like a weird fit for him, but if they're willing to pony up some top prospects...

Shero grabs at a winger at every trade deadline. It'll be Kesler or someone else.

Top Bottom