• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

While you're posting garbage stats, what was his corsi?

SoSlamo.jpg

eyeless

tYupZYI.png

kessel to win art ross and rocket richard if crosby and ovechkin twist their ankles stepping on a crushed soda can while jogging

Man this Kesler to Pittsburgh talk is really heating up. Don't think the Canucks would be happy with Sutter as the centrepiece of a deal though (unless the picks and prospects were really good).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Man this Kesler to Pittsburgh talk is really heating up. Don't think the Canucks would be happy with Sutter as the centrepiece of a deal though (unless the picks and prospects were really good).

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1h
Price to get Kesler is high. 1. Significant/established NHLer, preferably a C, 20 to 25; 2. Top prospect, preferably a F. 3. 1st rd pick.

Now, that isn't to say VAN couldn't take D instead of F prospect but more pressing need is up front. May just mean having to move a D later.

Basically exactly what I talked to Red about earlier that I'd rather have F prospects than D prospects, since we have no space to give D prospects any playtime without moving additional D pieces (on top of Edler).

We'll see. Let's just hope Gillis doesn't fuck it up or I want him fire right after the trade is announced.

calder

It must be my bias kicking in, but I can't believe anyone would want Kesler that much. I sure as hell would not give up an established young NHLer and a decent prospect for him, never mind all that and a pick.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It must be my bias kicking in, but I can't believe anyone would want Kesler that much. I sure as hell would not give up an established young NHLer and a decent prospect for him, never mind all that and a pick.

Bonafide 2nd line centre who can shutdown other teams top lines?

The pick will more than likely be a 25-30 one, and the Pens can afford to give up Sutter. The prospect would be toughest to give up.

Yeah, who the hell would want a 29 year old who's one of the best two-way centers in the league and can play in any forward position, play in any situation, and is on a cheap $5 million contract that's got two more years left beyond this season.

It's not like he's a legitimate impact player on any team in this league.

Acid08

Banned
Price to get Kesler is high. 1. Significant/established NHLer, preferably a C, 20 to 25; 2. Top prospect, preferably a F. 3. 1st rd pick.

Now, that isn't to say VAN couldn't take D instead of F prospect but more pressing need is up front. May just mean having to move a D later.

Basically exactly what I talked to Red about earlier that I'd rather have F prospects than D prospects, since we have no space to give D prospects any playtime without moving additional D pieces (on top of Edler).

We'll see. Let's just hope Gillis doesn't fuck it up or I want him fire right after the trade is announced.
Sounds like they want younger Kesler+more for actual Kesler. Dat value proposition.

Yeah, who the hell would want a 29 year old who's one of the best two-way centers in the league and can play in any forward position, play in any situation, and is on a cheap $5 million contract that's got two more years left beyond this season.

Is this sarcasm? I just learned what that is today.

calder

Yeah, I'd give up a young quality NHLer and a top prospect or a first rounder for that. But all three? So basically a player plus a first round pick plus a prospect who was likely also a first round pick. Yeah, not seeing a lot of takers there.

Smiley90

Yeah, I'd give up a young quality NHLer and a top prospect or a first rounder for that. But all three? So basically a player plus a first round pick plus a prospect who was likely also a first round pick. Yeah, not seeing a lot of takers there.

Sounds like they want younger Kesler+more for actual Kesler. Dat value proposition.

Is this sarcasm? I just learned what that is today.

You'd give up a young prospect ONLY for the above? :lol

It's not like we HAVE to sell Kesler (unlike the Luongo/Schneider situation), so we're not just gonna throw him away. He brings immense value to whatever team he'll play on. Again, one of the best two-way centers in the league, 1C/2C who can shut down any team's first line and one of the top3 PK'ing forwards in the league who had a 40 goal season just 2 years ago.

And again, that's the ASKING price. Doesn't mean it'll end up being the actual price. But a good prospect, a young 2C/3C and a first round pick doesn't sound unreasonable to me, for a contender the impact he'll have will be huge, while prospects may or may not pan out. Especially 'cause the pick will probably be 20-30, not top20.

20+ teams have already called Vancouver with 7 being serious buyers. Those include Boston, Chicago, New York and Pittsburgh.

When you've got a team that's set up a good window for a cup, Kesler's the kind of player that would take you to another level and keep your chances very viable for the next 2-3 years. If Boston, Chicago or Pittsburgh adds Kesler, they're essentially buying a cup at that point.

Acid08

Banned
You'd give up a young prospect ONLY for the above? :lol

It's not like we HAVE to sell Kesler (unlike the Luongo/Schneider situation), so we're not just gonna throw him away. He brings immense value to whatever team he'll play on. Again, one of the best two-way centers in the league, 1C/2C who can shut down any team's first line and one of the top3 PK'ing forwards in the league who had a 40 goal season just 2 years ago.

And again, that's the ASKING price. Doesn't mean it'll end up being the actual price. But a good prospect, a young 2C/3C and a first round pick doesn't sound unreasonable to me, for a contender the impact he'll have will be huge, while prospects may or may not pan out. Especially 'cause the pick will probably be 20-30, not top20.
Plz smelly, don't put words in our mouths. That asking price is astronomical though. And he hasn't been as good for a couple years now. And is apparently playing hurt.

But yeah it's all part of negotiating so who knows what he would actually be traded for.

What our lineup should be when healthy:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Ott-Berglund-Jaskin
Morrow-Lapierre-Reaves

What it will be:

Some fucked up version of the above with the young talent spread all over the 4 lines.

Come on Hitch. Steen Backes Oshie scores. Schwartz Sobi/Roy Tarasenko scores. As long as our third and fourth stay at 0 +/- who gives a shit if they're anemic offensively.

Holiday

Banned
What our lineup should be when healthy:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Ott-Berglund-Jaskin
Morrow-Lapierre-Reaves

What it will be:

Some fucked up version of the above with the young talent spread all over the 4 lines.

Come on Hitch. Steen Backes Oshie scores. Schwartz Sobi/Roy Tarasenko scores. As long as our third and fourth stay at 0 +/- who gives a shit if they're anemic offensively.

That second line is so appealing, it sucks that it hasn't been and won't be a regular thing. Classic Blues though, trying to get the gritty nothing-masters going by wasting skill players on their lines.

Smiley90

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 1h
Corey Crawford on Brent Seabrook's own-goal: "He’s a good player. Give him an open chance like that, he’ll bury it." #Blackhawks

:lol

That second line is so appealing, it sucks that it hasn't been and won't be a regular thing. Classic Blues though, trying to get the gritty nothing-masters going by wasting skill players on their lines.

If Hitchcock is still off of that lineup come the postseason, he's outstayed his welcome honestly.

iLLmAtlc

Oh man I'd be pissed if the package is centred around Brandon Sutter, though I know he was one of the guys Gillis apparently was willing to trade Hodgson for.

Mike Richards was traded for Brayden Schenn, Simmonds and 2nd. Schenn was the number 1 prospect in hockey at the time too, get something like that damnit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The Coyotes?! D:

I'd rather drink a Coors lite!

I figure if they don't get relocated in the next three games, they done good.

Hmmm...trying to think of an Eastern conference team so that I can actually watch these damn games...

Ok, I'm on the Detroit Crazed Tank Machine for 3 games.

Socreges

Banned
Age, man. Cut him some slack.
Fucking dementia. I hardly recognise the guy anymore. Last week he lapsed into a 'GO FLAMES GO' chant and I had to tell him that was four years ago. He paused and quietly mouthed 'go sens go'.... I had to walk away. :/

Oh man I'd be pissed if the package is centred around Brandon Sutter, though I know he was one of the guys Gillis apparently was willing to trade Hodgson for.

Mike Richards was traded for Brayden Schenn, Simmonds and 2nd. Schenn was the number 1 prospect in hockey at the time too, get something like that damnit.

Wish we still had Forsberg :(

Forsberg+Johansson+2nd

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The Coyotes?! D:

I'd rather drink a Coors lite!

I figure if they don't get relocated in the next three games, they done good.

Hmmm...trying to think of an Eastern conference team so that I can actually watch these damn games...

Ok, I'm on the Detroit Crazed Tank Machine for 3 games.

You're a Coyotes fan this week.

Cake Boss

Banned
2 mediocre canadian teams with no clear direction of where they are going are playing outside tonight.

The 2 other 1st round exists played each other last night,as well as the 2 basement dwellers and the Las Vegas Jets beat the Perds.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
2 mediocre canadian teams woth no clear direction of where they are going are playing outside tonight.

The 2 other 1st round exists played eacher last night,as well as the 2 basement dwellers and the Las Vegas Jets beat the Perds.

Sir don't bring us down in your pity party.

Montreal and Toronto could play each other in the first round then your prediction is wrong.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Therrien is going to get his ass handed to him regardless of who we play. He's incapable of making adjustments.

Richards has had a slightly more productive career but I agree that those are the returns Gillis should be asking for.

Where do the 'a lot of mileage' comments come from re Kesler? Just from looking at his GP, he's 2 seasons (maybe just 1?) where he's missed time from injuries.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 15h

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd say Sens' D-man Jared Cowen can be had in a trade

Interesting...

I know a lot of Sens fans don't want to trade him because of a potential Chara situation, but I just don't see Cowen ever coming close to becoming a Chara. The hockey sense just isn't there.

Whereas with Chara the hockey sense was there, but the skating wasn't, and that's what the Sens really helped improve when he came over from the Isles.

I miss that old Sens management group and coaching staff, they really focused heavily on skating and conditioning and development.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Richards has had a slightly more productive career but I agree that those are the returns Gillis should be asking for.

Where do the 'a lot of mileage' comments come from re Kesler? Just from looking at his GP, he's 2 seasons (maybe just 1?) where he's missed time from injuries.

A Canucks fan can refute this when they see it. This is just what I've heard on the radio from insiders:

I keep hearing them state Kesler is an amazing talent on a great contract but they worry despite him only being 29 they feel he has the wear and tear as if he was 33 years old. Basically feeling with his style of play he is on the decline now.

Again I have no clue on that as I almost never see Kesler play. This is just what I keep hearing about him.

Top Bottom