• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Welp, about to get off work to get ready to head to the game, not expecting much with that lineup but I will be happy if they can score a goal, maybe 2. I take that back, I'll probably still be angry unless they can win.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From the TSN stats guy:

To make playoffs in the East:
WSH will likely need to win 9 of final 13 games..
DET, 9 of 15..
NJ, 10 of 14..
OTT, 11 of 15..
CAR, 12 of 14

To make playoffs in West..
DAL will likely need to win 9 of final 15 games..
VAN, 10 of 11..
WPG, 11 of 12
NSH, 12 of 14

2HqsUbr.png

not bad for a 6th round pick...

Can't wait to see what kind of stay-at-home defenceman we'll get for him.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Moulson coming back to LI tonight for the first time.

Puck Daddy:
Moulson will discuss his future destination with his family when he hits the unrestricted free agent market this July. Would he consider returning to the Islanders?

"It's been said that I wasn't in the future plans, so I don't think that will quickly change."

images

Red_Man

I don't expect good things. Giguere is in net tonight.
Habs are pretty bipolar, I've given up trying to predict how they'll play against any team. Hopefully they're ready to play against Roy, it could turn out to be a really entertaining game.

pringles

This is about success of drafting and nothing else, and Detroit has terrible drafting numbers. They've just gotten lucky in drafting a generational player like Datsyuk and a franchise player like Zetterburg, which masks their poor drafting. Their drafts post 2009 may be better, but that's only 4 drafts ago and that doesn't erase the prior entire drafting history.
http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/2/8/2202287/ken-hollands-draft-success

From 1997-2005, Holland traded away 5 first round, 3 second round, 2 third round and 3 fourth round picks. Those trades, combined with the Wings' overall success, placed their highest overall pick at #19.

They've actually drafted really well, they just haven't had a lot of draft picks and certainly very few early picks. You don't realize how those "terrible drafting numbers" are influenced by being the #1 team in the league and picking up Hasek's and Hull's and Robitaille's through trades instead of drafting?And as for Z and Dats, Håkan Andersson is not lucky.

Red_Man

They've actually drafted really well, they just haven't had a lot of draft picks and certainly very few early picks. You don't realize how those "terrible drafting numbers" are influenced by being the #1 team in the league and picking up Hasek's and Hull's and Robitaille's through trades instead of drafting?And as for Z and Dats, Håkan Andersson is not lucky.
There are 9 teams who drafted fewer players than Detroit in that chart, and 12 that only drafted 10 more players in that entire time period.Of the 9 teams that drafted less players than Detroit, only 1 has a worse rate of NHL player production. Don't try and pretend like Detroit suffered from a supreme lack of picks, they statistically have produced the fewest amount of NHLer's per picks.

Saying that drafting Datsyuk, one of the best players of our generation in the 6th round after going undrafted twice wasn't lucky is ridiculous.

As for Zetterburg, they obviously knew how good he was, what else could explain all the guys they picked before him!

chart_4.jpg

Fucking Vancouver fans are so annoying, worse than Sens ones, no wonder Lou left.

Most of the parody songs (Call the Union etc) are headed by Harrison Mooney/Pass It To Bulis. STOP HATING ON THEIR BLOGGER CULTURE CAKE BOSS.

Inconsistency, injuries, shitty special teams and mediocre defense.

After Ward's leg injury a few years back, dude has been constantly getting injured. I think he's having back problems now. I think his prime years are behind him now. He was the workhorse of the team and was basically the only reason we made it into the playoffs in 2009 and were as close as we could get into making the playoffs since then, unfortunately Cam can't score goals (he does have one though!).

Last season, for example, we were actually doing well until Ward got injured. Then we had to bring in Justin Peters who has started before in a backup role and was more or less a career AHL'er. He did ok but Carolina's defense core who was used to letting Ward take the shit weren't ready for the lower level of play from Peters. We basically nose-dived after Ward got hurt. Oh, and we had Dan Ellis. I don't think I need to explain that.

On paper we have a pretty decent team - Eric and Jordan Staal, Semin, Skinner, Ruutu(before we traded him), Faulk, Hainsey, Gleason(before we traded him) but things just haven't been able to mesh.

Oh man, that makes so much sense now. I always wondered why they relied on Cam Ward so much and now I can see the direct link to their failures. It's a shame they're not shopping for another goalie already or have a definitive Next #1 in the pipeline. I didn't realise Peters was so subpar until I had him on my HUT team in NHL 13. I always thought Skinner, Semin and J.Staal would bring them back to the playoffs. D doesn't seem to be an issue with them like other teams.

Fei

Can't stop the tank. Also Buffalo hasn't won in Calgary since 2003.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

I'm only upset Girgensons has been out for an extended period. He was pretty much the only player worth watching. Although, while it lasts, it's nice to see Drew Stafford look like a second line player again.

pringles

Saying that drafting Datsyuk, one of the best players of our generation in the 6th round after going undrafted twice wasn't lucky is ridiculous.

As for Zetterburg, they obviously knew how good he was, what else could explain all the guys they picked before him!

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/189603/chart_4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Håkan Andersson doesn't have 100% control of how the Wings draft. He had seen Datsyuk twice when no other scout had made the effort to even see him once, that's why the Wings were able to draft him late. No GM wastes a high pick on a scrawny kid in the middle of nowhere that no other team knows about. But it wasn't a throwaway pick.
[url]http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/06/red_wings_scout_hakan_andersso.html[/url]
[QUOTE]“The player I wanted to see was a defenseman, Dmitri Kalinin, ended up being drafted by Buffalo (18th overall in 1998)."
“As the game went on I saw this little centerman who was pretty good,'' Andersson said.
“He worked hard up and down the ice, had good hockey sense. He broke up a lot of plays and had good skill. I went away from the game with a report on Kalinin, but also a report on this little kid.''[/QUOTE]

And he saw something in Z that no one else did. Which is either being lucky or what being a good scout is about.
[QUOTE]At a tournament in Finland, which Andersson attended ahead of the 1999 draft, he came upon Zetterberg by chance. [...] At Andersson's urging, Detroit drafted Zetterberg that June—with the 210th pick, in the seventh round.[/QUOTE]

Other Andersson draft picks include Tomas Holmstrom, Johan Franzen, Jiri Hudler and Niklas Kronwall.

Red_Man

And he saw something in Z that no one else did. Which is either being lucky or what being a good scout is about.

Other Andersson draft picks include Tomas Holmstrom, Johan Franzen, Jiri Hudler and Niklas Kronwall.
I'm not doubting his skills as a scout, but there is still a degree of luck involved when drafting players for any scout, particularly in the late rounds and especially when they turn out like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I'm just pointing out how there's a wide misconception that because the Wings got lucky with those two guys, they're suddenly amazing at drafting which just isn't true. I'm not trying to slight the Wings, just pointing out the numbers. They've obviously succeeded regardless.

Who me?

I am already hurting enough dawg :(
No, that clown Mooney, everything he puts out is pretty much awful.

Top Bottom