• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

yyzjohn

Banned
Canucks' remaining games:
Nashville
Buffalo
Minnesota
Colorado x2
Anaheim x2
NY Rangers
LA
Edmonton
Calgary

You expect them to run the table?

Even if the Canucks miraculously go 11-0, they'll finish with 94 points. That might not even be enough for the 8th seed, the last full season LA was in 8th with 95 points.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks' remaining games:
Nashville
Buffalo
Minnesota
Colorado x2
Anaheim x2
NY Rangers
LA
Edmonton
Calgary

You expect them to run the table?

To he fair, that's not that hard of a schedule. Sadly. Hope we manage to lose most of them anyway.

Samyy

So Holland is a healthy scratch
I don't understand - scratching Holland forces Kulemin to the third line centre spot and breaks up a productive line in Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin.

lol Carlyle

Nonis - "need guys from the Marlies to step up", Carlyle subsequently benches Holland and plays Ashton for like a shift a game.

zroid

Banned
So Holland is a healthy scratch
I don't understand - scratching Holland forces Kulemin to the third line centre spot and breaks up a productive line in Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin.

lol Carlyle

Nonis - "need guys from the Marlies to step up", Nonis subsequently benches Holland and plays Ashton for like a shift a game.

ugh

I don't even understand his thought process here. Clarkson has done shit all in the 2nd line. At least in the 3rd line he can play more physically which he has been OK at. Holland is a decent young guy who should be given a chance to play more. And Kules is a better winger than he is a Centre. What's going on???

fuck we really needed Bolland back

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Murray, Parros and Bourque all healthy scratches again. It only took that clown 65 games to realize they shouldn't be playing.

Doesn't matter where we draft, we tend to get good kids and then trade them away. Jarnkrok :(
Detroit is actually not good at drafting overall, it's just been masked by their lucky late picks, and their prospect development is top notch.

pringles

Detroit is actually not good at drafting overall, it's just been masked by their lucky late picks, and their prospect development is top notch.
Right.

image-1.jpg

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Abdelkader is out up to two weeks and Brendan Smith is going to play forward today.

Landon Ferraro will play if Bertuzzi doesn't.

Gonna be a good game.

Lines:

Franzen-Legwand-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Miller-Glendening-Bertuzzi/Ferraro
Smith-Emmerton-Pulkkinen

Wouldn't have imagined ever seeing this...
Luckily I will be on my way to the airport for GDC during this game so I won't have to witness the debacle. I'm sure my phone will be going off multiple times with each Leafs goal.

To he fair, that's not that hard of a schedule. Sadly. Hope we manage to lose most of them anyway.

4 games are winnable: Nashville, Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary
2 games against playoff bubble teams which will bring their A game: Minnesota, NY Rangers
5 games against playoff teams who may not play that hard (unless they're jockeying for a higher seed) but are still better than the Canucks: Colorado x2, Anaheim x2, LA

They'd be lucky to win 6 of those 11 games. Hopefully they get eliminated soon so Markstrom and the young guys get some more playing time.

Right.

chart_1_medium.jpg

Until 2009, Detroit was dead last in

Our last few drafts have been pretty ace on the quality of prospects. But the majority of our success has come from within the organization and not from trades over the years.

I bet Pulkkinen gets his first goal against the Leafs.

I hope his Slapshot puts a hole through a couple of players and then goes through the net for a waved off goal.

ugh

I don't even understand his thought process here. Clarkson has done shit all in the 2nd line. At least in the 3rd line he can play more physically which he has been OK at. Holland is a decent young guy who should be given a chance to play more. And Kules is a better winger than he is a Centre. What's going on???

I'm going to suppress my natural reaction to this (to merely state that Carlyle is a buffoon) and go with the following: Holland and Ashton are nursing injuries and can't be risked.

fuck we really needed Bolland back

For sure, but I think he sits out the rest of the season.

pringles

Right.

chart_1_medium.jpg

Until 2009, Detroit was dead last in
Not surprising, I bet they had the least 1st round picks and worst avg draft position during that time as well. Many of those at the top of those stats used to be awful. I'm sure the Oilers, Islanders, Sabres etc would top similar lists post-2009. But the Wings have had some rough drafts over the years. Lately they've been on fire though.

Not surprising, I bet they had the least 1st round picks and worst avg draft position during that time as well. Many of those at the top of those stats used to be awful. I'm sure the Oilers, Islanders, Sabres etc would top similar lists post-2009. But the Wings have had some rough drafts over the years. Lately they've been on fire though.

This, and a lot of the guys we are seeing now seem to be coming within that 2nd-4th round area.

zroid

Banned
It's not nothing, but he is a 20 year old man playing in the OHL on a good team. Hopefully he brings something to the Marlies next year.

Apparently his point production doubled since last year. If he continues playing well on the Marlies I could see him getting called up now and then.

Giggzy

Any ducks-GAF know if Robidas is making his debut tonight? I'm excited to see him throw his body around in a Ducks jersey. With that said, I've got my mind on the SJ game on Thursday.

Apparently his point production doubled since last year. If he continues playing well on the Marlies I could see him getting called up now and then.

We can dream! But - alas - we have Carlyle as our H/C. Brown, Holland and Ashton will ride the pine while McClement plays 30 minutes a game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's not nothing, but he is a 20 year old man playing in the OHL on a good team. Hopefully he brings something to the Marlies next year.

Thats the most points in an OHL season since... well... patrick kane

But then i think of rob schremp and greg mckegg

Socreges

Banned
Not seeing any correlation between success and rank on that table...

yyzjohn

Banned
Thats the most points in an OHL season since... well... patrick kane

But then i think of rob schremp and greg mckegg

Yeah, junior hockey success doesn't always translate into NHL success. Nice for the kid to win the scoring title, but as noted before, he's already 20 years old. He's still a longshot to turn into anything in the NHL.

Samyy

ill we ever see a 4th line of:

D'Amigo - Smith - Ashton

Could be way better then whatever we're doing now. Its not like playing 7D is making us better at defence in any way. Like our top 6 is playing 20 minutes + a night.
Oh and does Leafs management know that every team is suffering from injuries, they keep using that as an excuse.

The 22-year-old Lieuwen will make his first NHL start tonight when Buffalo opens up a five-game road trip against the Calgary Flames at the Scotiabank Saddledome. With Michal Neuvirth still hobbled by a lower body injury, Matt Hackett will serve as Lieuwen’s backup after being recalled from Rochester on Monday.

Can't stop the tank. Also Buffalo hasn't won in Calgary since 2003.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is about success of drafting and nothing else, and Detroit has terrible drafting numbers. They've just gotten lucky in drafting a generational player like Datsyuk and a franchise player like Zetterburg, which masks their poor drafting. Their drafts post 2009 may be better, but that's only 4 drafts ago and that doesn't erase the prior entire drafting history.

Can't stop the tank. Also Buffalo hasn't won in Calgary since 2003.
Buffalo's back up looked pretty good when he came in against Montreal on Sunday.

Top Bottom