• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

Socreges

Banned
Can't a non-NCAA player simply refuse to sign and then, potentially, hit UFA in the same time-frame? IE You have a guy drafted in the 6th round, he decides not to sign with the NHL team and after 2 years, is drafted again by another team. If he refuses to sign with that 2nd team, after 2 years he becomes a UFA.
Of course. But where's he going to play for those 2 years? The punishment to that player's development (and the risk of getting seriously injured before you're able to sign a contract with an NHL team) almost certainly outweighs the advantage of waiting 2 years and becoming a UFA. That's why it never* happens.

*the only examples I can think of are where the NHL team opts not to sign the draftee

I have a real hard time mustering up any sympathy for the Preds over Vesey. The NCAA route benefits the teams 19 times out of 20, and they had four years to sign him but didn't/couldn't. Poile sounding like a pouting teenager over it and then saying they will still try to sign him this summer is laughable.

I see some hockey ppl on twitter suggesting they should get a compensatory pick or something and even that doesn't make any sense to me. I don't even understand why some want the system changed; it's (almost) fair as it is. If a guy is drafted from CHL/Europe then the team basically gets two years to sign him or he goes back to the draft. If the players is in the NCAA then it's 4 years but they become free agents, but if a kid can reject a ELC for a couple of years and risk playing college for free more power to him.

Now if people are saying that the NCAA (and CHL) are inherently bullshit organizations exploiting teenagers for profit then I'll co-sign that shit all day long.
Isnt it four years for European players nowadays to?

Pikma

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if Jersey is even playing the same game as everyone else

CevIzlzWEAEQBx5.jpg:orig

before you complain, "top right is the best", fishtail shows where a team was 25 games ago, line points toward where they are now (as an average of previous two weeks)
Dat Stars free fall

One thing to watch for tonight. Should Boston get a single point, the Senators will be mathematically eliminated and solidify this year being the first time since 1970 where no Canadian teams made the playoffs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"we're going to let the kids play"

*officially out of playoffs, Byron playing on the top line over Andrighetto*

Hockey Savant strikes again.

eyeless

that is the 2nd game in a row boyes has blown an open net and deprived nylander of an assist

and god love 'im for it

edit: fff, dat brown assist

Top Bottom