• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

Socreges

Banned
Just catching up on this Vesey stuff, but this jumped out at me:

Seems like an awfully dickish message to send to your team that's fighting through an intense stretch run to claw its way up the playoffs standings. Your team's been on a tear while trying to climb the ranks of the most difficult division in the league, and you announce to the public that you promised to gift a top 6 position in the playoffs to a college kid at the expense of the guys who brought you there?

Like, if he ended up finding himself in top 6 minutes as the playoffs went on because he proved he could handle the load, that's one thing, but to offer the top 6 on your playoff bound team before he ever plays even a second of professional hockey? On a team that has gone 12-3-2 in its last 17 games with just a week and a half to go in the season?

Surely there are ways to do that without throwing your own lineup under a bus.
Something tells me the Preds top 4 isn't feeling pangs of insecurity right now. Granberg and Jackman might be, but they're professionals and would understand nothing is guaranteed to them. Likewise the rest of the team, you would hope, will carry on as normal.

Poile is saving face. Can't blame him. Pretty embarrassing for the organization.

Razorskin

----- ------
spitvzo3l.gif

I'm surprised they've allowed this to occur for as long as it has.

It's not as if this wasn't bargained and agreed to by the league in the 1st place. The club gets an extended period of control.

Sucks for the Preds to be sure, though I'm curious why, if this Vesey guy is any good at all, they didn't lock him up years ago.

Socreges

Banned
Wouldnt surprise me to see this loophole closed sooner than later. Really screws some teams
I hope so. I think Demko and Boeser will sign with the Canucks either way, but it's unnerving having that loophole there.
It's not as if this wasn't bargained and agreed to by the league in the 1st place. The club gets an extended period of control.

Sucks for the Preds to be sure, though I'm curious why, if this Vesey guy is any good at all, they didn't lock him up years ago.
Maybe they tried but he insisted on completing his 4 years.

I hope so. I think Demko and Boeser will sign with the Canucks either way, but it's unnerving having that loophole there.

Maybe they tried but he insisted on completing his 4 years.

That's exactly what happened. They tried to sign him after his sophomore year, his junior year, and now his senior year. Every time he kept telling them that he'd sign with them, but he wanted to keep going to school.

NCAA players are unable to sign and continue going to school, which is incredibly stupid. Not sure why the NHL can't sign them to some type of commitment deal without paying them and if that'd get around the stupid NCAA rules.

College players can't be pros, can't be paid like pros, but the NCAA can sure as hell make a bunch of money off of them.

zroid

Banned
I still can't wrap my head around NCAA disqualifying CHL players from eligibility. In what world is a CHL player a "pro"? There has to be other politics involved and they're just making excuses.

I still can't wrap my head around NCAA disqualifying CHL players from eligibility. In what world is a CHL player a "pro"? There has to be other politics involved and they're just making excuses.

Don't CHL players get a few hundred or a few thousand dollars a season? For food and housing and all that? And they can be sponsored.

Basically, if someone gets any money at all for doing what the NCAA is getting money for, it disqualifies the player. That's why big colleges go under the table and offer houses and cars and shit to the big football players to come to their schools.

It's all ridiculous crap. The NCAA is a joke.

zroid

Banned
Don't CHL players get a few hundred or a few thousand dollars a season? For food and housing and all that? And they can be sponsored.

Basically, if someone gets any money at all for doing what the NCAA is getting money for, it disqualifies the player. That's why big colleges go under the table and offer houses and cars and shit to the big football players to come to their schools.

It's like a $50/week stipend. Basically nothing. But yeah I think they can be sponsored, but obviously only the big stars do and they don't really factor into the NCAA anyway.

The irony is the CHL faces the exact same criticisms as the NCAA for not fairly compensating its athletes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NYR Twitter seems to be abuzz about some mystery Eric Staal press conference today. I'm not sure where the source of that information is coming from, though. At least I don't see any announcements or anything from the regular beat writers about it.

EDIT: Looks like it's coming from Blueshirt Bulletin. I mean, we are playing in Carolina on Thursday, so it makes sense that Eric would get a lot of attention, but it's only Tuesday...

EDIT EDIT: Rangers confirmed that it's to accommodate the large number of media requests from both NY and Carolina. So there's that. Mystery solved.

Also, I finally saw the full list of Masterton nominees, and goddamn, those Toronto beat writers are master trolls:

Cet-JMsWAAAlpPm.jpg

San Jose Shark James Reimer :D

Foggy

So about that Vesey stuff yesterday and my pessimism with Werenski, well today he signed an amateur tryout contract with the AHL affiliate. So I guess Jack Johnson 2.0 is locked in. Yeehaw.

That's exactly what happened. They tried to sign him after his sophomore year, his junior year, and now his senior year. Every time he kept telling them that he'd sign with them, but he wanted to keep going to school.

If that's the case, I'd have to imagine the offer was nowhere close to what Poile claims to have offered him now.

Marvie_3

Banned

Understatement of the year.

calder

I have a real hard time mustering up any sympathy for the Preds over Vesey. The NCAA route benefits the teams 19 times out of 20, and they had four years to sign him but didn't/couldn't. Poile sounding like a pouting teenager over it and then saying they will still try to sign him this summer is laughable.

I see some hockey ppl on twitter suggesting they should get a compensatory pick or something and even that doesn't make any sense to me. I don't even understand why some want the system changed; it's (almost) fair as it is. If a guy is drafted from CHL/Europe then the team basically gets two years to sign him or he goes back to the draft. If the players is in the NCAA then it's 4 years but they become free agents, but if a kid can reject a ELC for a couple of years and risk playing college for free more power to him.

Now if people are saying that the NCAA (and CHL) are inherently bullshit organizations exploiting teenagers for profit then I'll co-sign that shit all day long.

Socreges

Banned
I have a real hard time mustering up any sympathy for the Preds over Vesey. The NCAA route benefits the teams 19 times out of 20, and they had four years to sign him but didn't/couldn't. Poile sounding like a pouting teenager over it and then saying they will still try to sign him this summer is laughable.

I see some hockey ppl on twitter suggesting they should get a compensatory pick or something and even that doesn't make any sense to me. I don't even understand why some want the system changed; it's (almost) fair as it is. If a guy is drafted from CHL/Europe then the team basically gets two years to sign him or he goes back to the draft. If the players is in the NCAA then it's 4 years but they become free agents, but if a kid can reject a ELC for a couple of years and risk playing college for free more power to him.

Now if people are saying that the NCAA (and CHL) are inherently bullshit organizations exploiting teenagers for profit then I'll co-sign that shit all day long.
Seems to be a problem to me. The NCAA situation creates a direct path to UFA for draft picks that doesn't exist for other prospects. There are enough advantages that the incentives to sign aren't felt in some cases (obviously). They can continue to develop in the college system (good for late picks and late bloomers), get their degree, and then sign with their team of choice.

Now, for anyone who thinks this is fair, and thinks the draft is a joke anyhow and there should be a market place for prospects... fine. But under the existing system you will see prospects penalized in the draft for deciding to go to college. Teams will be discouraged by the inherent risk. Things may already be trending this way, I dunno. That seems to me like something the NHL would want to address.

I don't have any great empathy for Nashville's organization, but I do have empathy for its fans. If he ends up in Chicago or something, it's more than a little irritating.

zroid

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if Jersey is even playing the same game as everyone else

CevIzlzWEAEQBx5.jpg:orig

before you complain, "top right is the best", fishtail shows where a team was 25 games ago, line points toward where they are now (as an average of previous two weeks)

Chris R

Look at Colorado's progress from "Bad" to "Fun"

If we win tonight and Chicago wins things should be fun the rest of the way. Expect us to lose and Minnesota to win though, and for everything to be shutdown after that :(

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

before you complain, "top right is the best", fishtail shows where a team was 25 games ago, line points toward where they are now (as an average of previous two weeks)

Oooo. A new chart.

Cool, I always wanted to be an air traffic controller.

Clydefrog

I just saw a truck with a decal on it that said "Pierre Landscaping" and I started cracking up imagining Pierre McGuire owning and operating a landscaping company.

zroid

Banned
From 30 Thoughts, on Vesey:

It’s now about the Boston Bruins (closest to his home) and the Toronto Maple Leafs. One exec offered to bet a steak dinner on it. He took the Maple Leafs and gave me the field.

:lol

Seems to be a problem to me. The NCAA situation creates a direct path to UFA for draft picks that doesn't exist for other prospects.

Can't a non-NCAA player simply refuse to sign and then, potentially, hit UFA in the same time-frame? IE You have a guy drafted in the 6th round, he decides not to sign with the NHL team and after 2 years, is drafted again by another team. If he refuses to sign with that 2nd team, after 2 years he becomes a UFA.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Can't a non-NCAA player simply refuse to sign and then, potentially, hit UFA in the same time-frame? IE You have a guy drafted in the 6th round, he decides not to sign with the NHL team and after 2 years, is drafted again by another team. If he refuses to sign with that 2nd team, after 2 years he becomes a UFA.

A good Canadian kid would never do such a thing, look at how nicely they dress.

Top Bottom