• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

I'm not just referring to teams without a coach, but teams that have mediocre coaches who didn't pull the trigger on tossing them then going for Julien. He was out there for over a week.

I bet Florida wanted him but probably couldn't afford his salary, or weren't willing to pay it.

Foggy

I'm not just referring to teams without a coach, but teams that have mediocre coaches who didn't pull the trigger on tossing them then going for Julien. He was out there for over a week.

Even still, there is such a thing as a coach fitting your team structure. Didn't the Bruins freefall late to fall out of the playoffs like 2 years in a row? I'd imagine that would give teams pause.

Besides, of all these teams, is there a better current one than the Habs
since 93
that can also pay top dollar?

I bet Florida wanted him but probably couldn't afford his salary, or weren't willing to way it.

They've committed a lot into team salary so I don't think it's a money thing. They wanted to talk but wanted to wait after the season. I personally think Rowe had a hand in that but it sounds like he is on his way out once the season ends.

calder

Most teams are going to wait until the off season before hiring a non-interim coach especially since most established coaches want to start in training camp anyway, the Habs just get credit for acting decisively and paying a LOT to get him as soon as possible.

Pikma

Banned
I've heard every hockey team in the world tried approaching him but he specifically said to each of them that he wouldn't settle for anything less than coaching the best hockey team in the world, which is fitting considering he is the best coach in the world

Friedman said he was in negotiations with another team at the time Bergevin approached him.

So you already knew that other teams were trying to lock him down but you somehow can't believe that he didn't instantaneously agree? The man knew he was going to have options. How many teams in this league need a coach or at least a better one.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So you already knew that other teams were trying to lock him down but you somehow can't believe that he didn't instantaneously agree? The man knew he was going to have options. How many teams in this league need a coach or at least a better one.
He's widely considered a top 5 coach across the league, he would be an upgrade for most teams.

He's widely considered a top 5 coach across the league, he would be an upgrade for most teams.

He probably got offers from a few teams around the same time and chose the Habs, because of all teams looking for a coach they're probably the most attractive for multiple reasons.

Red_Man

He probably got offers from a few teams around the same time and chose the Habs, because of all teams looking for a coach they're probably the most attractive for multiple reasons.
Thankfully, the differences we've already seen in how the team plays is awesome.

Socreges

Banned
The other explanations are equally valid since we simply don't know, but this one is the most complimentary to the Habs so it is acceptable.

Cactus

Banned
TGE2hIT.gif

Red_Man

cJhVnS7.jpg

Massive on this one, the erection is. Hmmmmmm.
It is pretty massive, they're quality shots against have gone down dramatically, their PK has pretty fantastic, lineup removals like Desharnais & Emelin. Not much more I could ask for ��

Holy shit lol.
Being this bad during one of the supposed worst drafts in years is hilarious and sad

Marvie_3

Banned
Probably because you always want to get off your horse to hunt, climb, etc. I'm the same way. Plus sometimes the quickest/most fun path is to go straight up and then launch yourself off a ledge and glide to the destination.

we_are_back.gif

But often I'll take a horse and just keep hopping off, do shit, whistle, hop back on.
Basically. That and its easier to take in all the small details on foot.

I got a horse yesterday and the best part was feeling like I earned it. I didn't know what to name it though.
I named my horse
Dog Food

I'd have agreed before CDPR did Skellige, Novigrad, Velen and Kaer Morhen.

Bethesda's RPG sandboxes are always scaled down in such a weird, weird, way.

Depends what you prefer, I like the micro detail in Bethesda games, where there's more interactivity per squared unit. Compare that to Witcher 3 where there more open fields/forrests with nothing to do. Witcher does scaling of cities better, Bethesda games get the small details right. I think the game with the greater density is better for exploration.

They need to learn to craft a competent game engine.

The engine is very mod friendly which is probably why they keep using the same shit. Of course, they could make a new engine that's also modder friendly. Easier said than done, but they should have a good idea of what makes gambryo easy to use/highly malleable.

In broad strokes, maybe? Just about any decent MMO has them beaten though. Nintendo definitely has them beaten with BOTW.

Again, depends what you prefer. Compare ESO to a normal Elder Scrolls game and I'll take the density in the core series over the larger, but emptier MMO map. I can't speak for Zelda, but from the Giant Bomb quick look, Jeff said there's a lot of nothing in between points of interest.

Marvie_3

Banned
The engine is very mod friendly which is probably why they keep using the same shit. Of course, they could make a new engine that's also modder friendly. Easier said than done, but they should have a good idea of what makes gambryo easy to use/highly malleable.
Easy to use, even for interns, who also happen to do their writing, animation, and programming, and QA.

Easy to use, even for interns, who also happen to do their writing, animation, and programming, and QA.
I don't so much mind the writing in Morrorwind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. While they weren't great, they provided interesting window dressing for the open world. Fallout 4 was terrible though and detrimental to the game overall. Animations can be pretty bad, but since I'm in first person it's usually not so intrusive. Mass Effect Andromeda will be another story...

Not really fair, I've heard one of the reasons they still use Gamebryo is so they wouldn't have to expand or change their team. I think they've had the same ~100 person team for a long time now.

Nintendo and Bethesda have this in common: you'd love for them to do x or y but at the end of day they're gonna do their thing.

I don't so much mind the writing in Morrorwind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. While they weren't great, they provided interesting window dressing for the open world. Fallout 4 was terrible though and detrimental to the game overall. Animations can be pretty bad, but since I'm in first person it's usually not so intrusive. Mass Effect Andromeda will be another story...

I'm inclined to believe the voiced protagonist is mostly responsible for the terrible writing, and the settlement building is responsible for the terrible quest structure. It feels like there were probably a couple versions of this game.

There's usually at least one innovation/change in Bethesda games I'd like to see carried over to their next game. I can hardly think of any addition in Fallout 4 I liked that would be good in the next Elder Scrolls, say for Survival. Luckily they're doing something between the next Elder Scrolls.

I'm inclined to believe the voiced protagonist is mostly responsible for the terrible writing, and the settlement building is responsible for the terrible quest structure. It feels like there were probably a couple versions of this game.
Radiant quests would be fine if they weren't forced into your quest log like FO4 did.

Mod integration on consoles? Uhhhhhh...the weapon crafting system is pretty solid?
I didn't even consider mods on consoles as I play on PC. Weapon crafting was pretty good, it also gave use to all of the junk you find in the world. Elder scrolls already had a similar system with enchanting though.

Weapon crafting is the only positive thing about Fallout 4. Game is a stinker in every other regard.

The world is still great, it's probably my favorite wasteland so far. Bethesda writing has always been crap, so I guess I didn't expect too much in that regard?

I didn't even consider mods on consoles as I play on PC. Weapon crafting was pretty good, it also gave use to all of the junk you find in the world. Elder scrolls already had a similar system with enchanting though.

I thought the settlement building did a good job of justifying all the junk too.

Chris R

Eh, I guess the world is ok, I just don't really care for Boston and felt like a lot of the areas were really uninspired.

Writing being crap is whatever, I would have been fine with crap writing and a crap story if the dialog options weren't so dumbed down from previous fallout games :(

Eh, I guess the world is ok, I just don't really care for Boston and felt like a lot of the areas were really uninspired.

Writing being crap is whatever, I would have been fine with crap writing and a crap story if the dialog options weren't so dumbed down from previous fallout games :(

I really hope they don't bring back voiced protags, or if they do that they get a hell of a lot better at implementing in.

Pikma

Banned
There's a guy in the B/S/T thread selling a Switch for $300 plus shipping

The catch? It's just the system and the joy cons, no box, no dock and no charger

😂😂😂😂

Top Bottom