• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
Gustavsson looks like he's stoned. He looks like the kind of guy I'd like to get high with. Just not ON THE FUCKING ICE.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Price on his game tonight, it's getting really physical out there, good hits from both teams.

Quick

Banned
ok new rule

gus, stay in the net

picture-12.png

ZeroGravity

I was just about to ask you where he was, Tampa down 3-1 and no goal by Stamkos? CANNOT BE. and theeeere he was. So glad he's in my pool -muahaha-
He might need to get another two for us to win this one. He and Connolly are the only one with legs out there.

Red_Man

Good looking PP Subban just needs to hit the next or use his writer more. Leafs PK was basically stand still and hope the other team doesn't score.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
CCOOOOLLLLEEEEEETTTTRRRAAAAIIINNNNNN

Oh red, you'd probably be able to answer this:

How has Yannick Weber been for Montreal overall? What's the overall impression/judgement on him? Solid? He's Swiss and I always wonder how the few Swiss people in the NHL are doing, and you don't hear much about Weber here in Vancouver...

Red_Man

Oh red, you'd probably be able to answer this:

How has Yannick Weber been for Montreal overall? What's the overall impression/judgement on him? Solid? He's Swiss and I always wonder how the few Swiss people in the NHL are doing, and you don't hear much about Weber here in Vancouver...

It's a weird situation. He was playing really well last year as a subban-lite but this year he hasn't been particularly good and has to sit a lot due to Emelin and Diaz coming into their own. He has the most PP goals on the team but needs to be able to take passes better. I have hopes he can still grow into a decent offensive #4 dman, but his development seems to have been disrupted this year a bit.

Socreges

Banned
I don't understand why people think Hodgson asked for a trade. Why would he when he had a chance to win the cup this year? If he wanted to be closer to his family or something he could have done it in the offseason.

My feelings on this. For/Against the possibility that Hodgson demanded a trade for this season:

+ Hodgson's parents have always been involved in his career.
+ More ice-time in the right place.
+ Gillis didn't deny the suggestion that Hodgson had requested a trade.
+ The trade would suddenly make more sense to anyone thinking it was a weird move.
+ It's easier to get over his leaving if we can make him sound like a bad seed (few people are doing this).

- His agent has repeatedly denied that Hodgson asked for a trade.
- Gillis very likely wouldn't succumb to pressure from Hodgson unless it was becoming a problem and there didn't seem to be one.
- Demanding a trade when you're on the team with arguably the best shot at the Cup is strange/stupid.
- Why now and not 4 months from now?

I'm pretty sure he didn't ask for a trade. Speculation has given the media plenty to talk about, though.

Erdrick

Question for Jets fans: which team were you a fan of prior to the Jets' return?

Detroit Red Wings. Ever since I saw my first Jets game in January 1988 against them. I used to have the program still, autographs and all, but it seems to have disappeared. Don't get me wrong, I love the Jets (old and new) and without question they come first, but the Red Wings are my team of choice when I have no home team to cheer for. A lot of people seem to think it's easy to be a Wings fan, but many do not think back on the horrible teams the Wings had prior to Yzerman and Lidstrom coming. Many, many years of mediocrity. I still wear my Wings jersey with pride when I go to some of the local bars and patios throughout the city here in Winnipeg. I've always loved the Wings jerseys as well. I have an away jersey that I have worn for YEARS. (Although I guess now, it's a home jersey, since the league changed that.)

I basically gave up on hockey when the Jets left in 96 and was very bitter about the whole situation. Up until sometime after the NHL lockout, I paid no attention to the NHL aside from keeping an eye on ex-Jets. To put it into perspective, I did not even realize that the Leafs were in the East and had assumed they were in the West like back when the old Jets played them. (Course, had they made the playoffs, I would have noticed right away, but we all know how that has gone.) I just started to get back into the NHL after then and began following the Wings again rather closely. It's so much more easy to follow teams nowadays with the internet and all the mobile applications. Instead of me waiting for the paper or a sportscast on television.

I still cringe whenever the Wings play San Jose or the Penguins, as it brings back playoff memories of failure, but the Wings are a classy organization and I enjoy all their players and they are a stark contrast to ours here in Winnipeg. Not in a bad sense, but just how the teams are structured and regarded. I've already got my $$$ ready with another Wings fan I know for when hopefully I'll get to see the Wings come to town next year against us. I would never cheer against the Jets, but in this case, I will not boo the opposition.

I still can't believe how Kris Draper of all people turned out to be such a fantastic player for them. He was not much of anything with us in Winnipeg. Then again, he was excellent in the Playoffs and it's not like we ever did much there, so he had little chance to shine or develop. Traded for a dollar... lol. Still remember his number #91. My thought was "Who the hell does this rookie think he is... Sergei Federov?" Little did I know.

TL;DR- I'm a Jets fan until I die, but will always have a place for the Wings.

My feelings on this. For/Against the possibility that Hodgson demanded a trade for this season:

+ Hodgson's parents have always been involved in his career.
+ More ice-time in the right place.
+ Gillis didn't deny the suggestion that Hodgson had requested a trade.
+ The trade would suddenly make more sense to anyone thinking it was a weird move.
+ It's easier to get over his leaving if we can make him sound like a bad seed (few people are doing this).

- His agent has repeatedly denied that Hodgson asked for a trade.
- Gillis very likely wouldn't succumb to pressure from Hodgson unless it was becoming a problem and there didn't seem to be one.
- Demanding a trade when you're on the team with arguably the best shot at the Cup is strange/stupid.
- Why now and not 4 months from now?

I'm pretty sure he didn't ask for a trade. Speculation has given the media plenty to talk about, though.
Well, one of the possibilities that was brought up was that the Hodgson camp requested a trade earlier on in the season, but fell quiet as Hodgson grew comfortable with his role. But Gillis, realizing that Hodgson wasn't going to stick around, decided to sell him high when the opportunity arose at the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom