• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2013 |OT| 3rd Degree Assault. 2nd Degree Kidnapping. 1st Degree Racism

Secondly. Varlamov TURNED HIMSELF in, which given the lack of information otherwise, makes him look very bad. If you were completely innocent, why on earth would you turn yourself in to be arrested?

Fuck sake do any of you jackasses even read the circumstances of the case before you decide he should hang? HE HAD A WARRANT OUT FOR HIS ARREST, IF HE DID NOT TURN HIMSELF IN HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A FUGITIVE.

Stop being so fucking stupid.

I'm just surprised that you all are so shocked by the decision.
Because it's a fucking stupid decision. Hernandez was released IMMEDIATELY by the team following his arrest.

In a post-Sandusky world, it's bad messaging if you don't at least bench a player after they've been arrested or seriously accused of a major offence. The potential fallout you'd get from a guilt verdict far outweighs the on-ice results you'd get from having him play.

How do you think it'd sound if the Avs knowingly iced a wife-beater in order to get wins?

That's all well and good, but until some evidence comes up, and more importantly, until he's proven guilty, why should he or anyone associated with him have to change a damn thing? It's ridiculous to think that the right thing to do here is put everything else on hold when the allegations haven't been proven one way or another. Why does a person's celebrity mean they have to act to a different standard than say a plumber facing the same allegations in the same circumstance?
Because when you're a professional athlete, you're not an inidivual anymore, it's not just about you, it's about the million dollar franchise and billion dollar league you represent. If you were a plumber and you got arrested for domestic abuse, you'd probably get shitcanned immediately.

Fuck sake do any of you jackasses even read the circumstances of the case before you decide he should hang? HE HAD A WARRANT OUT FOR HIS ARREST, IF HE DID NOT TURN HIMSELF IN HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A FUGITIVE.

It is still a negative distraction around your team and a dangerous gamble for your organization to take regardless.

Clydefrog

We had 100% attendance. Every home game sold out. We're 17 because our arena is smaller than most of the arenas ahead of us. So...what exactly were you trying to say?

it's all about you, isn't it? I was replying to Smiley90 who basically said that LA doesn't have a fanbase. Staples sells out too, ya know.

It is still a negative distraction around your team and a dangerous gamble for your organization to take regardless.

So uh.. you're pissed off that the avs are taking a gamble then? Cause from your post before it sure sounded like you were convinced he did it, and that he shouldn't be a free man.

Exactly. Players have been punished a lot harsher than Varlamov for MUCH weaker offences. Radulov got benched for going out drinking the night before a game. Seguin got a big talking to for shitty stupid things on Twitter. Kassian got sent down to the minors for reportedly staying up too late at bar some nights.

Exactly. Players have been punished a lot harsher than Varlamov for MUCH weaker offences. Radulov got benched for going out drinking the night before a game. Seguin got a big talking to for shitty stupid things on Twitter. Kassian got sent down to the minors for reportedly staying up too late at bar some nights.

Yeah and those were things they actually fucking did, where as Varlamov's allegations have yet to be proven in the slightest.

By the way, why didn't I get a response? :( I was hoping you would enlighten me as to why a potential fugitive wouldn't turn himself in even if he was innocent.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

and we all know what happened to half the leafs team after they decided to party and take a helicopter adventure

Acid08

Banned
That's all well and good, but until some evidence comes up, and more importantly, until he's proven guilty, why should he or anyone associated with him have to change a damn thing? It's ridiculous to think that the right thing to do here is put everything else on hold when the allegations haven't been proven one way or another. Why does a person's celebrity mean they have to act to a different standard than say a plumber facing the same allegations in the same circumstance?
I know you're in full on defense mode of this dude but come on! He represents an organization, his coaches, and his teammates. Having someone who's accused of a disgusting crime out there being at the front of your organization is bad, it destroys public opinion and support. Imagine if OJ had still been an athlete at the time of his arrest and was started less than a week after he was brought in. Would be pretty fucked up, right?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Regardless of whether he did it or not, the entire case around him will be a distraction in the room, I'm surprised Roy would allow that kind of background noise in the room right now when they're playing so well, in part to Varlamov of course.

The way PK is treated infuriates me to no end. I will lose it if he doesn't sign with the Habs. I like a lot of what Therrien does, but the treatment of Subban pretty much overrides all of it. PK and Price are our franchise players for fucks sake.
I don't know what I'll do if they trade him, the hate he gets is beyond ridiculous, it's up to the media to hold Therrien accountable for his actions and to continue forcing him to answer for his actions.

Yeah, I don't get the Avs fanbase's reaction to this. If a Hawk did this or was accused of something as bad as this, I wouldn't want him around the team until it was cleared up. ESPECIALLY our starting goalie.

By the way, why didn't I get a response? :( I was hoping you would enlighten me as to why a potential fugitive wouldn't turn himself in even if he was innocent.

That makes it even worse, that the police were actively out to arrest him.

Like I said, it makes the organization and league look bad for having him play despite being accused of some really serious crimes. It makes it super easy for media to wreck the organization if things do go bad.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what I'll do if they trade him, the hate he gets is beyond ridiculous, it's up to the media to hold Therrien accountable for his actions and to continue forcing him to answer for his actions.

Unfortunately 3/4 of the media like to bring Subban down as well.

I know you're in full on defense mode of this dude but come on! He represents an organization, his coaches, and his teammates. Having someone who's accused of a disgusting crime out there being at the front of your organization is bad, it destroys public opinion and support. Imagine if OJ had still been an athlete at the time of his arrest and was started less than a week after he was brought in. Would be pretty fucked up, right?

I'm not saying caution isn't the better route, but I am saying that this attitude of him basically having to put his life on pause because 'it's the right thing to do' is really stupid considering the circumstances. If it were clear that he was guilty, and it just needed some time to be proven, sure. I'd feel differently about it.

That makes it even worse, that the police were actively out to arrest him.

Like I said, it makes the organization and league look bad for having him play despite being accused of some really serious crimes. It makes it super easy for media to wreck the organization if things do go bad.

Do you know how arrest warrants work? For crying out loud man. The cops have to treat any domestic abuse allegation seriously. It doesn't make it worse that they were following protocol. Now fuck off and talk hockey or something else you actually have some understanding of.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm not saying caution isn't the better route, but I am saying that this attitude of him basically having to put his life on pause because 'it's the right thing to do' is really stupid considering the circumstances. If it were clear that he was guilty, and it just needed some time to be proven, sure. I'd feel differently about it.

Would you be this adamant about this if he wasn't an Avalanche player?

I feel you'd be like everyone else here understanding why he shouldn't be anywhere near the team right now if this were a member of another team.

What you're still not understanding that his life shouldn't matter, because he's not a person anymore. He's an asset, a property owned by the Colorado Avalanche If that asset has ANY potential to make your organization look bad, then you put it in the cupboard until a time where it's a good idea to bring him out again.

Save your pity for someone who isn't making millions blocking pucks,

Would you be this adamant about this if he wasn't an Avalanche player?

I feel you'd be like everyone else here understanding why he shouldn't be anywhere near the team right now if this were a member of another team.

Same situation? I'd probably be as half-assed about knowing case details like a lot of you here and end up saying similarly stupid shit. Because he's an Avs player obviously I'm more interested in understanding what's happening with the case. If he was a Red Wing I'd say hang him up right next to Bertuzzi.

Again, I'm not saying the Avs shouldn't express caution in this situation, but I'm definitely not of the mind that under no circumstances should he be playing tonight. I'm pretty confident I'd feel the same way if it were any other team/player but there's no way to know unless it happened I guess.

You do realize that it's pretty normal for people to go on things like 'administrative leave' in these situations, right?

Does that mean it's the right thing to do, or the normal thing to do?

What you're still not understanding that his life shouldn't matter, because he's not a person anymore. He's an asset, a property owned by the Colorado Avalanche If that asset has ANY potential to make your organization look bad, then you put it in the cupboard until a time where it's a good idea to bring him out again.

Save your pity for someone who isn't making millions blocking pucks,

If your concerns are purely business related, perhaps you should be just as pissed off at Bettman for not banning Varly until the case is over?

Acid08

Banned
Does that mean it's the right thing to do, or the normal thing to do?
Usually it's the right thing to do because the situation can have a very negative impact on those around you. That's especially important in something like a team sport.

I bet if he shits the bed tonight he won't be getting any more starts until this is over.

If your concerns are purely business related, perhaps you should be just as pissed off at Bettman for not banning Varly until the case is over?
That's not Bettman's decision to make. That's between the Avalanche and their player, and ownership should've had a talk where they basically tell him that it's in both of their best interests to stay out of the spotlight until things blow over.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of whether he did it or not, the entire case around him will be a distraction in the room, I'm surprised Roy would allow that kind of background noise in the room right now when they're playing so well, in part to Varlamov of course.

0 points in his last 4 games. Seems around the Nashville/Oiler games he decided to punish Subban.

Usually it's the right thing to do because the situation can have a very negative impact on those around you. That's especially important in something like a team sport.

I bet if he shits the bed tonight he won't be getting any more starts until this is over.

Sure, if he shits the bed tonight he shouldn't play. I'm not convinced one way or another. I'd like it if the Avs were being more cautious with the situation for sure, because I'm fully aware of how it may blow up on everyone. Playing it safe is the easiest way to handle these situations. But at the same time, I don't have all the information nor pretend to. All I can do is let the organization make the call, obviously. With the information I currently do have though, I see no reason to take him out of the lineup indefinitely. The only reason to do so is to play it safe and for whatever reason Sakic & Co are choosing not to. I'm trusting that they're making the right decision because I know what kind of guy Sakic is, and his reputation is as much on the line as anyone elses if this blows up.

Red_Man

Unfortunately 3/4 of the media like to bring Subban down as well.
Thankfully Subban seems to absolutely love it in Montreal, I have a hard time seeing him move away from the city, he thrives off the fans and the crowd.

0 points in his last 4 games. Seems around the Nashville/Oiler games he decided to punish Subban.
Someone pointed out on twitter he's been less then stellar ever since Perry gave him that head shot, hopefully it's not related to that.

Probably suffering from massive blue balls because he can't participate, he's probably hunched over his computer chair clutching his rapidly swelling nuts
Always gotta take it to that next level eh Rev

Red_Man

You of all people should know I come in hard and strong
1325288886205.gif

Samyy

Great article on Subban's situation with Therrien from one of the Habs best reporters:

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/the-curious-case-of-p-k-subban-1.1524316

I never understood this.
Is he just trying to keep Subban... like idk, stop him from getting his head to inflated? Or what. Honestly its ridiculous, the kid (along with Price) are the franchise and its weird to watch this happen.

Also the potential team Canada shun is perplexing to say the least.

Red_Man

McGuire said on TSN radio the other day that Subban has to be on Team Canada and if he isn't then McGuire will raise hell whatever that means :lol

Soc's room. I can't remember why I originally made this pic.

smiley.jpg
:lol forgot about this.

Samyy

That was some actual GAFfers room wasn't it :lol

Is it bad that I picture every person in Gaming with a similar setup?

Its definitely a joke picture that got posted in a setup thread long ago on gaming side, from Japan I believe.

Well it was a joke in the sense that the poster said he found it on some Japanese board, not sure if there is actually a person in Japan with this setup but its probably likely.

Hunter S.

*claps and cheers! * Dumb kids with no education posting these days.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
*claps and cheers! * Dumb kids with no education posting these days.

This (turning in/fugitive part, not the insult part) is the only point where you're right.

With everything else, Spectre/wsox/everyone else here hit the nail on the head.

It'd be a MUCH better message to bench him until things are more clear. All this does is send a message that winning is more important to the Avalanche organization than taking an assault and kidnapping charge against one of their players seriously and potentially icing a gf-beater.

Top Bottom