• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary demands your respect, not your love

Quick

Banned
I really don't understand this. These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Also it's online, I don't need to use tact. Why should I filter my inner thoughts? That's the best thing about being able to post in a forum like this, I don't need to do that, I can just post exactly what I think without filtering or padding it.

And finally, if there was a parody account - it would be one that was here for over a decade (I started posting on old GAF), and also people respond to my thoughts and opinions a lot - so that would mean I was a highly successful parody account.

The real answer is my opinions and thoughts are just highly debatable so they create threads like that. If a lot of parents weren't boring, weren't defensive about being boring, and other people didn't think they were boring - that thread would have little replies.

The subject matter isn't bad, but the manner in which you conduct discussion is.

And only someone so detached from reality can truly ask why "parents are boring." Questions like that are the types that little kids ask their parents. Unless your parents left you alone to go party when you were a kid. In that case, you should figure out already that kids require most of their attention anyway.

"I wanna go to Vegas (for example) and my boring friends are home with their kid." - Well, no shit Sherlock.

"I wanna do things spontaneously like go to Vegas, and that's how I live." - Unrealistic for a lot of people.

"I wanna go to a karaoke and sing with my friends and strangers over booze, not hear a kid singing." - Okay, we get it, you're a shitty Barney Stinson impersonator.

Just because it's the internet, doesn't mean you don't need to filter yourself.

zroid

Banned
Hot goaltenders like Kevin Klein.

HuRryPF.png

There's just no accounting for that force field around the Rangers goal!

Quick

Banned
Bobo Mac's thinking that the Leafs might be in on Jimmy Vesey if he doesn't sign with the Perds.

http://www.tsn.ca/preds-can-do-little-but-wait-for-prospect-vesey-s-decision-1.399719

Leafs basically have deep ties with his family, with Vesey Sr. working as a scout, and the Leafs drafting Jimmy's younger brother. On top of that Shanahan having connections as well, via his time with the Blues.

The article also mentions other high profile prospects in the same situation.

One can only imagine that Nashville general manager David Poile’s heart skipped a beat this past summer when the Toronto Maple Leafs hired Jim Vesey Sr. as an amateur scout in the New England region.

That’s because Harvard Crimson senior winger Jimmy Vesey currently regarded as the “best player in U.S. college hockey” - is a Nashville Predator prospect who, if he so chooses, can become an unrestricted free agent on August 15, 2016, by simply not signing with the Preds before then.

The Leafs hiring the father of a top prospect, who could opt for free agency over the Predators, was widely viewed in the NHL community as an all-too-obvious inducement to perhaps skew the player’s decision-making process in Toronto’s favour.

All’s fair in love and war and recruiting of NHL-ready goal-scoring wingers?

Perhaps.

The Leafs, however, maintain it was the elder Vesey who reached out to Toronto about a scouting job. Also worth noting is that Toronto drafted Nolan Vesey, Jimmy’s younger brother, in the sixth round (158th overall) of the 2014 draft. Nolan is currently a sophomore at the University of Maine.

There is also a third-party connection between Maple Leaf president Brendan Shanahan and Vesey Sr. that actually led to the hiring. They have a good mutual friend in former St. Louis Blue Kelly Chase. Vesey Sr. and Chase were teammates in the Blues’ organization for the better part of three seasons and remain good friends today. Chase and Shanahan were also NHL teammates and remain good friends.

While Shanahan and Vesey Sr. didn’t cross paths in their respective times in St. Louis, it was Chase who reached out to Shanahan last summer to inquire about Vesey being considered for a Leaf scouting job. Vesey Sr. spends most of his time in college rinks anyway, watching his two boys play; he figured why not see if he could turn it into a paying gig and asked Chase to keep his ears open if someone was looking for a college scout in the Boston area. Chase called Shanahan to make the Leaf boss aware of Vesey Sr.’s interest in a scouting job.

For years, Shanahan has been unwittingly imitating Vesey Sr.’s thick Charlestown accent by always greeting Chase with an emphatic “Chase-ah” (Chaser), which is how Vesey Sr., of course, always addressed Chase. Shanahan referred the request from Chase to Toronto’s director of scouting Mark Hunter, who subsequently made the hire.

Now all eyes will be on Jimmy at Harvard this season. He scored 32 goals in 37 games last season; he has five in the first six games this season. Nashville has tried in each of the last two seasons to get Jimmy to turn pro, but the family has been adamant about him graduating from Harvard. So the Preds will wait it out this season with their fingers and toes crossed.

Poile has said on countless occasions there’s an NHL spot awaiting Jimmy for whenever he decides to turn pro, that they tremendously value the 6-foot-1, 195-pound winger, but is also well aware of the risks involved because of the CBA rule that allows him to go to free agency this summer.

The Predators are hoping Jimmy’s loyalty to the franchise that drafted him 66th overall in 2012, and the opportunity to play this season in the NHL regular season and/or playoffs as soon as Harvard’s year is over, are the factors that will weigh most heavily in his decision.

We’ll see.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Car just shit out on me on the 401, so it looks like I'll be watching the game after all tonight.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Elliotte Friedman definitely asks stupid questions, but he doesn't seem malicious about it, and he rounds out his points well. He's also good with breaking news.

Bob McKenzie's the standard insiders should model themselves after. He's been mostly an in-studio panelist, so he doesn't get to interview people too much. Any speculations he makes, he makes sure to indicate as such and to have a base for it, rather than going full blown Steve Simmons in straight up bullshitting.

Pierre LeBrun is like McKenzie-lite to me. Anything he brings up is usually very substantial.

Two out of three of these guys are on TSN. How about that. Friedman is one of the few shining lights of Sportsnet's hockey coverage.

Nick Kypreos isn't bad at breaking news or deals, but he's just a shit panelist and has generally shitty opinions.

Damien Cox is just shit all around. Sportsnet really scored one here.

Steve Simmons is hot shit thrown into a garbage bag left to stew in the sun, then opened up for everyone to smell. He works for TSN, unfortunately.

Add on to the list:

Darren Dreger - once regarded as one of the best, has fallen off pretty hard over the last year with the firing of Dave Nonis. Mixes in a lot of speculation with his reporting which can be confusing to a lot of people. Still very good at breaking trades or signings tho.

Silexx

Elliotte Friedman definitely asks stupid questions, but he doesn't seem malicious about it, and he rounds out his points well. He's also good with breaking news.

Bob McKenzie's the standard insiders should model themselves after. He's been mostly an in-studio panelist, so he doesn't get to interview people too much. Any speculations he makes, he makes sure to indicate as such and to have a base for it, rather than going full blown Steve Simmons in straight up bullshitting.

Pierre LeBrun is like McKenzie-lite to me. Anything he brings up is usually very substantial.

Two out of three of these guys are on TSN. How about that. Friedman is one of the few shining lights of Sportsnet's hockey coverage.

Nick Kypreos isn't bad at breaking news or deals, but he's just a shit panelist and has generally shitty opinions.

Damien Cox is just shit all around. Sportsnet really scored one here.

Steve Simmons is hot shit thrown into a garbage bag left to stew in the sun, then opened up for everyone to smell. He works for TSN, unfortunately.

I would contend that Stephen Brunt, Bruce Arthur and John Shannon are also some of the good ones. I know Shannon may draw the ire of some, but I never got what people objected about him. Though, I also am mostly exposed to Shannon on the radio rather than TV. Might be the Pierre McGuire effect at play.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Price vs Lundqvist, nobody's getting blown out

if anything one team will win -1 to 0

Let's be realistic here. It's not "one team," it's "Montreal."

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 21h 21 hours ago
Carey Price v NYR reg season since 12/13: 7-1, 3 GA/225 shots, 5 SO, 0.37 GAA, .987 save pct. (At MSG: 2-0, 1 GA/49 shots, 1 SO).

More pissed my plans for the night are botched, luckily I was able to pull over no problem.

Glad to hear everything is OK. It was the same for me, I was heading down to go make some noise in a recording studio (which is pretty much my favorite way to spend time). Managed to make it to the nearest shit town, but had to call the wife to come pick my ass up. Towing it back to London was a bitch.

The struggle is real.

I throw away stuff that will expire in 3 days, you disgust me

Zroid is too busy hurling to respond.

Quick

Banned
Add on to the list:

Darren Dreger - once regarded as one of the best, has fallen off pretty hard over the last year with the firing of Dave Nonis. Mixes in a lot of speculation with his reporting which can be confusing to a lot of people. Still very good at breaking trades or signings tho.

:lol :lol

Lost his inside source the moment the Leafs threw out Nonis. Now Lou's being proactive in being airtight.

funny-gif-Donald-Duck-Daisy-coin-begging.gif

I would contend that Stephen Brunt, Bruce Arthur and John Shannon are also some of the good ones. I know Shannon may draw the ire of some, but I never got what people objected about him. Though, I also am mostly exposed to Shannon on the radio rather than TV. Might be the Pierre McGuire effect at play.

Admittedly, I don't follow them as closely, but I do agree for the most part that they're solid.

I throw away stuff that will expire in 3 days, you disgust me

Well, generally, those are "best before" dates. I'm very cautious with them, but I don't outright throw something out if it's a day over the date.

zroid

Banned
I wish I was joking but honestly it tasted like fresh :lol

we'll wait and see if I get sick in the coming days though........

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Interesting that Nylander is pacing higher than hall or RNH were playing at in the AHL during the lockout

Nylander being 2 years younger than Hall was, same age as RNH

Even is close to how eberle performed... and that was a damned super line with established NHL players lol

zroid

Banned
Pray for me guys

I doubt any deities are big fans of me though

in other news, Justin Bourne reportedly hired by the Marlies? That's somewhat interesting... he's not really an analytics guy but he does do a lot of good qualitative analysis work

joining the coaching staff it seems. that's different, going from being a writer to a coach! he is a former player though.

eyeless

Interesting that Nylander is pacing higher than hall or RNH were playing at in the AHL during the lockout

Nylander being 2 years younger than Hall was, same age as RNH

Even is close to how eberle performed... and that was a damned super line with established NHL players lol
big willie is a cool guy
P4PSSav.png

also islanders ahl team has a couple of career ahlers on that list who are basically the same guy
download.php
download.php

i wonder if anyone's ever seen them in the same room

I thought Zroid got banned and then I saw he just ate some bad hummus. I hope you had carrots with it at least, with some kale and quinoa.

Top Bottom