• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Cake Boss

Banned
It was a neat pie in the sky idea but pretty much impossible to pull off with the kind of red tape around hosting events on Parliament Hill.

I think it would've been shitty for the fans too as there's not nearly anywhere close to the amount of parking and other facilities required to facilitate an event like this.

Lansdowne is perfect for an event like this, but I have a feeling that the Euge is still bitter about losing the stadium renovation bid to the Lansdowne Live folks.

I hope he doesn't get that either. It sucks for the fans short term but long term, if we manage to punish and push this fucker out, we fans will win.

zroid

Banned
Nucks are 19th in scoring chances% and 15th in corsi according to natural stat trick, I think that was a click bait piece. Using the team's 1.1 goals per game stat 10 games in to compare to teams that have played 82 games makes 0 sense. The table looks like it's sorted to the goals per game stat too.

i'm gonna guess that chart was drawn up before the Montreal game, which they dominated in terms of chances

it says their SCF% is 45%, which would be 5th worst. but it's actually around 48% now (data from Corsica)

obviously... these are still small samples :lol

iLLmAtlc

I don't get why he had to stop before the Montreal game. Again reeks of somebody trying to make the facts fit his narrative. I'm not even denying the Nucks suck, but hit jobs like that are laaaaaame.

As an aside I don't think there's anything wrong with small samples per se. People make judgments on small samples all the time (i.e. when they're watching the game). Small sample data tells you what a team has accomplished so far. As long as people recognize that limitation, that it has very little predictive value, I don't think there's anything wrong with citing small samples to show a team has played well or poorly.

There's also the fact that they play from behind a lot, so scoring chances and possession/shots will be skewed in their favour.

I mean, there was that game recently between Tampa and Toronto where the Lightning won 7-3 or something despite getting heavily outshot. Toronto would've had really good fancy stats but Tampa won the game (and probably sat back after going up by 4 goals or so).

zroid

Banned
There's also the fact that they play from behind a lot, so scoring chances and possession/shots will be skewed in their favour.

I mean, there was that game recently between Tampa and Toronto where the Lightning won 7-3 or something despite getting heavily outshot. Toronto would've had really good fancy stats but Tampa won the game (and probably sat back after going up by 4 goals or so).

that's why you should always use score adjusted numbers

Quick

Banned
what's the worst main jersey in the NHL right now? i'm thinking Canucks or Sharks but I don't know...

I'd say the Canucks have one of the better jersey sets in the league. And it came out at a time when Reebok's Edge templates were limited. And it stands the test of the last decade having never changed it since the switch in 2007.

The current Canucks logo is fine too, as much as people (myself included) would like to see them change to the stick in the rink logo. End of the day, if the Canucks ever decide to rebrand, I want them to do a completely new logo to follow the trail they've set in the past.

The only issue I have with the Canucks is that their stick-in-the-rink logo alternate uses the same exact template as the home jersey. I think teams should try to look a little more different if they decide to do alternates.

vancouver.png

Speaking of jerseys, the Winter Classic jerseys got leaked.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/11/04/blues-blackhawks-2017-winter-classic-jerseys-leak/

2017-NHL-Winter-Classic-Uniforms-leaked.jpg

zroid

Banned
I like that Blues jersey

can't muster any sort of reaction for a Blackhawks outdoor jersey since there've been roughly ten thousand of them

imBask

Banned
I had no idea this game was even happening. Outdoor games are a joke by now just drop the concept and bring it back 3 years from now, EA style

I'm so sick of seeing the Hawks in a fucking Winter Classic. Give me Tampa vs Montreal, Colorado(in classic Nordiques jerseys) vs Montreal, Buffalo vs Toronto. Something Different.

God give me strength.

Quick

Banned
I had no idea this game was even happening. Outdoor games are a joke by now just drop the concept and bring it back 3 years from now, EA style

I think outdoor games are still cool, but the NHL needs to really start exploring other locations and opponents. If anything, St. Louis hosting is at least new territory for the Winter Classic vs. sticking to the Northeast.

They do need to cull it down though, but I think this year's isn't too bad. Heritage Classic in October, Centennial Classic and Winter Classic in January, and Stadium Series in February.

2014 was when they really blew their fucking load - 6 outdoor games. Winter Classic, Stadium Series (4 games), Heritage Classic.

I'd seriously trim it down to just the Winter Classic and Heritage Classic again.

imBask

Banned
I think outdoor games are still cool, but the NHL needs to really start exploring other locations and opponents. If anything, St. Louis hosting is at least new territory for the Winter Classic vs. sticking to the Northeast.

They do need to cull it down though, but I think this year's isn't too bad. Heritage Classic in October, Centennial Classic and Winter Classic in January, and Stadium Series in February.

2014 was when they really blew their fucking load - 6 outdoor games. Winter Classic, Stadium Series (4 games), Heritage Classic.

I'd seriously trim it down to just the Winter Classic and Heritage Classic again.

yeah but they have to stay up north, otherwise it will expose how ridiculous it is to have hockey in the desert...

i'd be up for hockey games in non-hockey city though. An outdoor match in Seattle, Portland, Quebec city, or whatever. That'd be fun

zroid

Banned
Ya outdoor games are cool when they're hosted in cities that haven't had them before

it's obviously more of a local event than a national one

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I don't really like outdoor games. I'd prefer they change it up so that it's an outdoor game that has no meaning instead of the shit we call the all star game...

Socreges

Banned
I don't get why he had to stop before the Montreal game. Again reeks of somebody trying to make the facts fit his narrative. I'm not even denying the Nucks suck, but hit jobs like that are laaaaaame.

As an aside I don't think there's anything wrong with small samples per se. People make judgments on small samples all the time (i.e. when they're watching the game). Small sample data tells you what a team has accomplished so far. As long as people recognize that limitation, that it has very little predictive value, I don't think there's anything wrong with citing small samples to show a team has played well or poorly.
Well no doubt. But that's generally not the point people are trying to make.

iLLmAtlc

What I'm thinking about is when someone responds to single game stats with "well that's a small sample", as if the data has no value because of that. It still represents the game that just happened and could tell you who played poorly and what not. It's also a pretty common response to data showing a team getting destroyed in a playoff series.

It was a tangent tho and I actually don't know how prevalent that still is.

Holiday

Banned
I usually don't buy jerseys, but I may have to get one of those Winter Classic pieces. Also, that jersey should be the Blues' regular jersey, not the three-tone stuff they wear now.

Socreges

Banned
What I'm thinking about is when someone responds to single game stats with "well that's a small sample", as if the data has no value because of that. It still represents the game that just happened and could tell you who played poorly and what not. It's also a pretty common response to data showing a team getting destroyed in a playoff series.

It was a tangent tho and I actually don't know how prevalent that still is.
And I guess my point is that people don't ever really suggest that. The common habit is to look for trends in whatever data sets, which is why you have people vetting with caveats. We all want to extrapolate and specifically determine if a team is good or bad.

Quick

Banned
I don't really like outdoor games. I'd prefer they change it up so that it's an outdoor game that has no meaning instead of the shit we call the all star game...

I would have it so the ASG is a complementary piece to an outdoor game weekend.

Alumni game on Thursday evening or Friday afternoon, skills competition Friday evening, ASG on Saturday night, regular season game against the Blackhawks on Sunday afternoon.

Marvie_3

Banned
I would have it so the ASG is a complementary piece to an outdoor game weekend.

Alumni game on Thursday evening or Friday afternoon, skills competition Friday evening, ASG on Saturday night, regular season game against the Blackhawks on Sunday afternoon.
ASG should just be NHL All Stars vs Blackhawks from now on too.

Top Bottom