• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puddles said:
Some dude in my league picked up Bryzgalov immediately after I dropped him. Even gave up a good player to clear the spot.

What a fucking idiot.

I would pick up Bryz in a second if he was available in my league.

yankeehater said:
I would pick up Bryz in a second if he was available in my league.

Same. my goalies are Hiller and Hedberg (so I'm screwed sometime later this week)

Spire said:
ibajLm2uaUc5DE.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2vSnRHFXkg&feature=player_detailpage#t=58s

Hey Stars GAF. I'm here now that my big test is over.

Can someone catch me up on the team over the past 3 years? I know Ott and a few of the older older team members, but really everyone else is new to me. I only went to one Stars game last year, but plan to watch a few this year.\

Also has anyone used the college promotion they have? I just graduated in May, but do you think I could get away with showing my ID and getting a really large discount ticket with my sister?

let's take a break from red wings suckage to report a signing:

kronwall signs 7 year deal, 4.75 cap hit.

kind of long, but it's cheaper than i expected. good signing after that horrible ercisson deal.

Socreges

Banned
Too many God-damned gifs. You guys are ruining my poor mobile browser.

I understand the historical sensitivities with white people dressing up as black people. Normally done in mockery or caricature, etc. But does that have to mean that people bothered by this don't have a responsibility to understand the intent or context? Is it automatically racist, and forever until the end of time? [/rhetoric]

Bish, thoughts?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Socreges said:
Too many God-damned gifs. You guys are ruining my poor mobile browser.

I understand the historical sensitivities with white people dressing up as black people. Normally done in mockery or caricature, etc. But does that have to mean that people bothered by this don't have a responsibility to understand the intent or context? Is it automatically racist, and forever until the end of time? [/rhetoric]

Bish, thoughts?

Personally I don't think it is racist. If anything I think it's lacking, he needs some big Jay-Z lips to go with the outfit.

scissorfight said:

kind of long, but it's cheaper than i expected. good signing after that horrible ercisson deal.

Well that is the only good Red Wings news we have had in a while that's for sure, yeah it is a tad long but very nice cap hit for him, now he needs to step up his play along with the rest of the team.

fallout

Socreges said:
Speaking as a White Guy, I don't really see the automatic racism. He's dressing up as a famous person who is black, not dressing up as a black person. That said, I get the sensitivities to blackface, so I'm not surprised about the reactions. I just don't think it makes him racist.

MPW

scissorfight said:

fuck i wanted him with habs :( wish he tested free agency

good signing by wings

Socreges

Banned
I should clarify. Not asking if people think it's racist but just rhetorically pointing out that it's apparently a catch-all, infinite principle: never have black paint on your face (in an effort to be black).

Curufinwe

Socreges said:
I should clarify. Not asking if people think it's racist but just rhetorically pointing out that it's apparently a catch-all, infinite principle: never have black paint on your face (in an effort to be black).

If Ted Danson couldn't pull it off when he was dating Whoopi Goldberg, then there's no point in any other white guy trying.

I doubt anyone on the Flyers is still mad about this since Zherdev is long gone, but I'd love to see Kaleta get laid out in Wednesday's game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5vu0eC1jw

MPW said:
fuck i wanted him with habs :( wish he tested free agency

good signing by wings

Wasn't a chance that was gonna happen, we have been pretty good with players who have played most or all of their time with Detroit and getting them to resign if they are good enough. Still, he needs to pick it up this season.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
scissorfight said:

I thought Holland would have learned with the horrible long-term contract he gave Franzen. Guess not. Oh well--at least it's a smaller cap hit.

Also, the Ericsson deal was FAR from horrible looking at what other defensemen got on the open market last year. Franzen's deal--THAT is a horrible deal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nyquist got called up as well for the Red Wings and will debut tomorrow night. Hopefully he's got the same scoring touch he had in the preseason.

Plinko said:
Nyquist got called up as well for the Red Wings and will debut tomorrow night. Hopefully he's got the same scoring touch he had in the preseason.

Oh snap!!! The next Euro Twin is going to make his NHL debut!! Can not wait..... I just realized I'm going to miss most of the game because of class. :(

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey Stars GAF. I'm here now that my big test is over.

Can someone catch me up on the team over the past 3 years? I know Ott and a few of the older older team members, but really everyone else is new to me. I only went to one Stars game last year, but plan to watch a few this year.\

Also has anyone used the college promotion they have? I just graduated in May, but do you think I could get away with showing my ID and getting a really large discount ticket with my sister?

Just use the ID - As long as it isn't expired they will never know. I think its $10 or $15 upper bowl and like $50 or 60 lower. I think... I only remember upper bowl pricing.

Our current line..

Morrow / Ribeiro / Ryder
Ott / Benn / Ericsson
Nystrom / Fiddler / Dvorak
Barch/Burish - Dowell - Wandell/Petersen

Defense
Goligoski / Fistric-Pardy
Souray - Robidas
Grossman - Daley

Goalie
Lehtonen
Raycroft

We have a good solid first two lines. Ribeiro has been on the Stars for a while and is magic with the puck. One of the best puck handlers in the league. Morrow is a gritty forward who can hit and cleans up trash goals. He is of course still the Captain and is awesome in front of the net on PP. Ryder is in his first year but did outstanding for Boston last year and they won the Cup. He use to play with Ribeiro in Montreal.

Benn is our new Modano. Most amazing youngster. Probably one of the best young guys in the league. He has a lot of skill and never gives up on the puck. Loui has been around for a bit and is a huge goal scorer for the team. Ott is our asshole but has suddenly learned how to score goals in the past few years.

Our 3rd line has a great center for faceoffs.. (best on the team). Nystrom has veteran experience and this line is our main checking line.

Our 4th line is a 4th line.. haha. Burish is physical as well as Barch and they fight a good amount. Petersen is Petersen. Dowell isn't bad.. Wandell has been kinda bleh lately after getting back from injury.

Our defense is much better than last year. Goligoski is a pickup from Pittsburgh that we got at the trade deadline last year. We lost James Neal and Niskanen for him but he has been pretty awesome. Great puck handler and great quarterback on Power Plays. Fistric is gritty and a tough defenseman. Big on hits. Pardy is in his first year. He is pretty ok. Both swap because we have 7 healthy defensemen and our new coach likes to do that which I'm ok with.

Robidas is a beast.. Never gives up on the puck and will always take the hit for the team. Sheldon Sourray is a pickup this offseason. People were worried that he would be plagued with his 1 season in the AHL and giving up in Edmonton but right now he is our best defensemen hands down. Mean shot from the Blue line and will kick the living shit out of anyone.

Daley is more of a winger then a defenseman.. not a big fan of him but hes fast. Grossman is just Grossman.. not that great.

Our goalies are pretty good too

Lehtonen is a god. Simple as that. A god.
Raycroft is pretty ok for a backup. So I'm ok with that.

Our coach is new.. from the AHL Texas Stars. Appears to be doing pretty good and I know it is early but if he can make a team that is at the SALARY FLOOR do good.. then he deserves much praise :)

Marvie_3

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
Oh snap!!! The next Euro Twin is going to make his NHL debut!! Can not wait..... I just realized I'm going to miss most of the game because of class. :(
Its not like you were going to watch the whole game anyway

since i've been reduced to carving children's cartoon characters into pumpkins, i didn't have time to do a red wings pumpkin this year...so my lazy ass is gonna re-post the one i did last year.

urTFi.jpg

happy halloween

Socreges

Banned
TSN-style question to manufacture debate:

Edmonton, Dallas, Colorado, Ottawa, Toronto, Florida

Which are for real? Which will actually make the playoffs?

I say Toronto. They'll slow down, but will still make the playoffs. Dallas is probably going to tease their fans for a while, but I don't think they'll hold on. Florida may pretend for a while longer, too.

Socreges said:
TSN-style question to manufacture debate:

Edmonton, Dallas, Colorado, Ottawa, Toronto, Florida

Which are for real? Which will actually make the playoffs?

I say Toronto. They'll slow down, but will still make the playoffs. Dallas is probably going to tease their fans for a while, but I don't think they'll hold on. Florida may pretend for a while longer, too.

I hope they all make the playoffs.
Except Florida.

Socreges

Banned
Solo said:
Ottawa are going to continue surprising.
So you think they'll make the playoffs? I get the impression that they need to score a lot of goals to win games and won't be able to keep that up. Happy to be wrong, though. Ottawa is the second least offensive team in the NHL.

Socreges said:
So you think they'll make the playoffs? I get the impression that they need to score a lot of goals to win games and won't be able to keep that up. Happy to be wrong, though. Ottawa is the second least offensive team in the NHL.

wut ?

We're 3rd in the league in GF. Behind the Pens and Flyers.

Socreges

Banned
KernelPanic said:
We're 3rd in the league in GF. Behind the Pens and Flyers.
Exactly. Do you think they've got the talent to continue scoring that much?

"wut?" -- Another way of saying I'd like to see them do well.

I'm waiting for our bubble to burst in Dallas.. but so far it hasn't

I really think we have a decent team this year.

I say we make it into the playoffs as the 8th seed.

SALARY FLOOR POWERS COMBINED!

Puddles

Banned
Guys, I need some advice.

Here are some players I'm looking at on the waiver board: Kris Versteeg, Tyler Seguin, Steve Ott.

Guys on my team who aren't really lighting it up and could probably be cut to clear a spot: Milan Lucic, Simon Gagne, Paul Stastny.

Would you drop any of the guys in the second list to get any of the guys in the first list?

Socreges said:
Exactly. Do you think they've got the talent to continue scoring that much?

Spezza's numbers aren't anything he hasn't done before. Injuries and a crappy Sens team/coaching have limited it in the past few years, but he's been almost a PPG pace his career at minimum. He's one of the most talented players in the league IMO.

Michalek has been injury prone, but he's been underachieving past few years as well. He's a talented player and was good with the Sharks.

Alfredsson isn't slowing down much at all at the ripe old age of 38, his numbers tanked last year due to a back problem (which is now fixed) not age.

Greening is looking good, he's that power forward we've always wanted.

Karlsson is insanely good for his age, and Gonchar is playing well again. Top-3 PP due to these guys.

I'd say the talent is there.

Injuries would be the big killer, as Spezza and Michalek tend to be injury prone and who knows if Alfie's back will hold up over a full season.

Our defense and PK are slowly improving. Anderson has been just OK, he's going to have to be way better.

We live and die by our power play.

Socreges

Banned
Ottawa has some good core talent, no doubt. But I don't see the depth otherwise. Maybe in a year or two once their young blood develops and they get serious about signing key pieces.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Flyers D-men costumes :

z0J1K.jpg

And Hal Gill on twitter:
"I'm trick or treating with my kids. If someone gives them anything other than candy then expect a trick. #candy #godhelpyouifyougiveanapple"

:lol guy is funny as hell, love how twitter lets players interact with their fans a little more

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Red_Man said:
Flyers D-men costumes :

http://i.imgur.com/z0J1K.jpg[IMG]

And Hal Gill on twitter:
"I'm trick or treating with my kids. If someone gives them anything other than candy then expect a trick. #candy #godhelpyouifyougiveanapple"

:lol guy is funny as hell, love how twitter lets players interact with their fans a little more[/QUOTE]

Yeah gotta say I didn't like twitter at first but man is it fun. Hell Mr. Antisocial himself Phil Kessel talks on it more than he does to the media.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Plinko said:
OMG you mean we're actually gonna call up a player to play on one of the top 2 lines??? When was the last time that happened? If you're a rookie with the Wings, you start in the bottom 6, then slowly get moved up after 3 years. I mean, why would you see a kid with amazing offensive talent and want to play him with 2 of the best players in the NHL??? That's just crazy talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom