• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Samyy

That level = NOPE.

JUST NOPE.

Man that sounds in this game....so close to having a heart attack at almost every point during that part....

fuck

and the goddamn
random spawn after picking up the key card was fucking scary as fuck, turn around and a random ass stalker? fuck

Jays will lose because Toronto team trying to make playoffs

ShaneB

lol golf. Almost as bad as basketball and handegg

a1ZES.gif

ShaneB

Baseball and golf?!? Wtf guys

Don't make me slap you too.

I've been watching football
Saw that Manziel guy play, look like he did okay? It was pretty fun. That team has a hard time catching the ball that, which is probably not good?

Yeah, Browns/Lions preseason game last night got lots of attention. Johnny Football looked alright. But yeah.. "preseason".

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kulemin looks like he's 15 in that video. Hopefully the Islanders upgrade their HD feed so it doesn't look like it's from 1998, they should be fun to watch this year.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Kulemin was one of the worst possession players on the team, only scores 20-30 points a season, and is now making over 4 million a year. Really couldn't care less that he's on the Islanders now.

But he played defense!!!!!

Samyy

Kulemin was one of the worst possession players on the team, only scores 20-30 points a season, and is now making over 4 million a year. Really couldn't care less that he's on the Islanders now.

He had a 52% [+5.7% rel] and 51% [+2.8% rel] corsi in the 2 seasons before Carlyle came on the team, he started 42% of the time in the Dzone, 22% on the Ozone.
Usage and systems fucked him, Grabo - currently fucking Dion hard. I think he'll get top six minutes with Grabo and excel.

Could potentially become a 40, maybe 50 point guy. Still overpaid at 4 million but eh.

DopeyFish

He had a 52% [+5.7% rel] and 51% [+2.8% rel] corsi in the 2 seasons before Carlyle came on the team, he started 42% of the time in the Dzone, 22% on the Ozone.
Usage and systems fucked him, Grabo - currently fucking Dion hard.

Going to be a great day when i don't have to look at corsi again!

Who's watching the Jays game? I'm down for 5 more hours, there's usually nothing to watch Sunday night for me

I really hope Dickey pitches when we play you guys coming up. Love watching him as a knuckleballer.

lol golf. Almost as bad as basketball and handegg

I thought the same thing until I went to play my first round a month ago. Now I've been dying to go again.

Dopey still bitter about corsi.

Fuck last on page. Quoting:

@Illmatic: I really hope Dickey pitches when we play you guys coming up. Love watching him as a knuckleballer.

@Supersonic: I thought the same thing until I went to play my first round a month ago. Now I've been dying to go again.

Dopey still bitter about corsi.

Hopefully DopeyStats will explain why the Leafs are so consistently shit.

It's the "EWTBAL" principal. Or, Everyone Wants To Be A Leaf.

Current Leafs players are under constant pressure because they know that everyone else in existence wants to play for the Leafs. Which is why a guy like Kessel thrives in Toronto, because he just doesn't give a fuck about any of that.

zroid

Banned
It's the "EWTBAL" principal. Or, Everyone Wants To Be A Leaf.

Current Leafs players are under constant pressure because they know that everyone else in existence wants to play for the Leafs. Which is why a guy like Kessel thrives in Toronto, because he just doesn't give a fuck about any of that.

I can buy into that!

DopeyFish

Hopefully DopeyStats will explain why the Leafs are so consistently shit.

It likely will. Maybe not in direct details but it should highlight a lot of shortcomings of the team. Problem areas, weaknesses, strengths.

The stat set, in theory, is the most powerful stat suite for hockey. But there's guaranteed to be anomalies with this type of stat and it's always evolving.

So when you see stats for this year and next year you look at the stats again, they'll be marginally different.

But the idea is to bring a general understanding to what's going on during play instead of relying on shots/attempts for and against. The QoC and QoT stats bug me the most just because they are incredibly inaccurate. I have watched some games where players will take so many crappy shots from perimeter but corsi dictates they are gods despite none of those shots having a chance to go in... which means they are overvaluing the event, and massively screwing up D ratings. Defense ratings for hockey are abysmal at the moment. Corsi, QoC and +/-? Rough stuff.

In zone attack and containment, plays off the rush all need to be treated differently. With enough data, i could effectively determine if a team is playing lucky or not. (prone to collapse) or if a team is winning despite under achieving.

I am still fleshing out the stats... at about 32 right now and it will probably grow to around 100~ by the time I'm done. (some will be designed for team and player)

Razorskin

----- ------
It likely will. Maybe not in direct details but it should highlight a lot of shortcomings of the team. Problem areas, weaknesses, strengths.

The stat set, in theory, is the most powerful stat suite for hockey. But there's guaranteed to be anomalies with this type of stat and it's always evolving.

So when you see stats for this year and next year you look at the stats again, they'll be marginally different.

But the idea is to bring a general understanding to what's going on during play instead of relying on shots/attempts for and against. The QoC and QoT stats bug me the most just because they are incredibly inaccurate. I have watched some games where players will take so many crappy shots from perimeter but corsi dictates they are gods despite none of those shots having a chance to go in... which means they are overvaluing the event, and massively screwing up D ratings.

In zone attack and containment, plays off the rush all need to be treated differently. With enough data, i could effectively determine if a team is playing lucky or not. (prone to collapse) or if a team is winning despite under achieving.

I am still fleshing out the stats... at about 32 right now and it will probably grow to around 100~ by the time I'm done. (some will be designed for team and player)

How are you going to collect this data? Watch every game with a notepad?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It likely will. Maybe not in direct details but it should highlight a lot of shortcomings of the team. Problem areas, weaknesses, strengths
Current analytics already do this. You act like people use Corsi as a sole representation for players and teams level of play. It's not, and it's only part of the puzzle people use to help identify issues with teams.

Everyone needs a hobby.

DopeyFish

Going to have to watch every game, yes. Basically will have a program to enter everything into a database as quickly as possible, then overlay that information with some official NHL data that i could scrape off their website.

Idea is to load that data post game then have the game available (from hockeystreams or whatever) and then jump to the points of interest highlighted by their data to make my analysis.

Current analytics already do this. You act like people use Corsi as a sole representation for players and teams level of play. It's not, and it's only part of the puzzle people use to help identify issues with teams.

Everyone needs a hobby.

Current analytics is primitive. Yes it gives a general idea but a lot of times the data may be inaccurate to the point of unusable.

Top Bottom