• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2016 |OT| Clear Eyes, Full Salt, Will Lose

It's a good anime. That is all

hRDoteF.gif

Geez if that Zetterberg rumour is true. A first-year coach being overruled by the captain doesn't look good.

The implication from both AV and Jeff Gorton has been that this is the "last rodeo" for this core group. If we go down in the first round, I expect them to make some significant moves, perhaps bigger than people are expecting. The revelation that Brady Skjei can effectively play the right side may also be a serious game changer in how the Rangers approach the offseason on defense. It makes Girardi truly expendable as we'll already have 3 capable right defensemen (assuming we re-sign McIlrath) on much, much better contracts, and it leaves a space on the left side open to re-sign Yandle.

Absolutely no chance whatsoever of re-signing Eric Staal. Dominic Moore is somewhat borderline to re-sign, and I wouldn't be surprised either way if he stays or goes. He's had a pretty down year compared to his previous two. Viktor Stalberg I would bet gets re-signed unless he wants too much money. He's been real good basically since December. Same for Antti Raanta.

That leaves the three RFAs. Kreider, Miller, Hayes. I'm guessing one of them will be gone, and that that one will not be JT Miller.

The big question is: do you try to sell Rick Nash? My gut tells me the answer will be no, but dropping his contract along with Girardi's could open up all kinds of possibilities.

Girardi is hard to move but not impossible. $5.5M for a top-4 defenceman isn't unheard of. Nash though, good luck finding someone to take that behemoth of a contract.

This makes me very happy

They made the Cup finals two years ago and the conference finals last year after winning the President's Trophy. Hard to blame them for going all-in with the Staal and Yandle trades. Like the Canucks they're now stuck with some bad contracts and an aging core.

The implication from both AV and Jeff Gorton has been that this is the "last rodeo" for this core group. If we go down in the first round, I expect them to make some significant moves, perhaps bigger than people are expecting. The revelation that Brady Skjei can effectively play the right side may also be a serious game changer in how the Rangers approach the offseason on defense. It makes Girardi truly expendable as we'll already have 3 capable right defensemen (assuming we re-sign McIlrath) on much, much better contracts, and it leaves a space on the left side open to re-sign Yandle.

Absolutely no chance whatsoever of re-signing Eric Staal. Dominic Moore is somewhat borderline to re-sign, and I wouldn't be surprised either way if he stays or goes. He's had a pretty down year compared to his previous two. Viktor Stalberg I would bet gets re-signed unless he wants too much money. He's been real good basically since December. Same for Antti Raanta.

That leaves the three RFAs. Kreider, Miller, Hayes. I'm guessing one of them will be gone, and that that one will not be JT Miller.

The big question is: do you try to sell Rick Nash? My gut tells me the answer will be no, but dropping his contract along with Girardi's could open up all kinds of possibilities.

I can't see too many teams wanting to take on his ~$8mm cap hit for the next 3-4 years. Doesn't he also have a no trade clause too? I'd be kind of surprised if he didn't.

Quick

Banned
A lot of Elimination Games tonight.

What a time to be alive.

Not paying as much attention to hockey makes perception of time funny for me. I know for a fact that we're almost finished with the first round, but it still feels like a lot of teams are just playing their second game or something.

Chris R

Ducks game starts at 3PM local tomorrow... Much earlier than I thought.

Guess that frees me up to watch the baseball game afterwards if it doesn't go 2+ OTs or whatever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see too many teams wanting to take on his ~$8mm cap hit for the next 3-4 years. Doesn't he also have a no trade clause too? I'd be kind of surprised if he didn't.

Seems to be some conflicting information about whether his NTC is still in force after his trade. I'd be surprised if it wasn't, though.

Also, Nash only has 2 years left on his contract. It's still a ton of money, but the term isn't so bad anymore.

zroid

Banned
Nash is 2nd in the league in 5v5 Goals/60 since Oct 2014, behind only Tarasenko

don't think he should be all that hard to trade

Seems to be some conflicting information about whether his NTC is still in force after his trade. I'd be surprised if it wasn't, though.

Also, Nash only has 2 years left on his contract. It's still a ton of money, but the term isn't so bad anymore.

Ah, most have misread as 3 years including this year instead of 3 years after this year. If it's only 2 then I think you can definitely dump him somewhere but it'll all come down to his NTC if you're actually able to. There's enough bad teams who would try him even though he's damaged goods.

Top Bottom