• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

yyzjohn

Banned
17972021_1400258556701612_2080681268202188730_o.jpg

That's a rather big head.

Solo

Solo, what are your thoughts on Coach CJ?

Damn good coach, doesn't have the horses though. That's the short version.

Superficially, his style isn't that far removed from Therrien, BUT his system has great structure and that alone makes it 10x better than Therrien's dog and pony show. The Habs' defense has tightened up significantly since his arrival. And I think he's a much better player's coach. Therrien was a punishment/public shaming kind of guy. Players don't respond to that CJ tries to put players in position to succeed and builds them up.

But he doesn't have the personnel. And that is on Bergevin, who should frankly be fired whether the Habs lose Game 6 tomorrow or go on to win the Stanley Cup. He's had 5 full seasons and has completely, utterly, woefully failed to address our #1 franchise need: offense (specifically at the centre position). He also let Therrien keep his job 2 years too long, which set the team back at least 2 years, out of nothing else but good ol' fashion nepotism.

I know we aren't eliminated yet, but fuck it, my post-mortem/offseason wishlist:

- fire Bergevin for the reasons above
- fire Timmins for not finding any NHL calibre players to fill our farm system with
- trade Beaulieu for being a problem child who can't seem to put it together
- trade Emelin for being awful
- maybe trade Pacioretty if the right offer comes along - he won't be worth his next contract and he has no intensity
- if you don't trade Pacioretty, strip him of the C and give it to Weber (or even Gallagher)
- try to sign Radulov, but don't go crazy. Give him high AAV but don't go high on the term. Signing him to more than 5 years will b e a huge mistake. The way he plays his body will be broken by the time he's 35
- sign Markov for another 2 years
- try somehow, some way to acquire a top 6 centre, top 6 winger, and a top 4 D. Easier said than done, obviously
- finally, for the love of god, DON'T make the rash move of trading AGally. After a poor season, you'll get him on a team friendly contract. If we trade him, I can tell you a few things that will happen. First, the return will be putrid and we will get fleeced and set back even further. Second, he will absolutely, 100% flourish elsewhere. We've read this book before. Hell, we've written it. So let's not repeat past mistakes. Instead, give him the offseason to get fully healthy and to hopefully put a nice chip on his shoulder. Have him spend the bulk of his offseason working on his skating and 2 way game. He'll come back to camp with something to prove and again a contract to earn, and I suspect he'll have a great season, especially having Julien there to work with him from day one. It'll be a huge mistake if we trade him.

Really though what we need most is to sell our soul for a legit #1C, fashion AGally into our #2C, and then Danault will be an excellent #3C. And yes, I'm okay with trading Sergachev to help land a #1C.....lets be honest, next season could be Carey Price's last one in Montreal, so might as well go for broke.

Solo

As an aside, I should note that I'm perfectly okay with trading AGally if we are needing to add +++ to get Tavares, of course.....

imBask

Banned
but seriously your argument is full of pipe dreams

You'll get fleeced on half of those trades. Radulov won't sign for what you want him to. Galchenyuk won't sign for a discount after scoring 30 goals and getting injured.

I don't WANT us to trade him, I think he's redeemable, maybe, under Julien. Price was also a lost case at some point. He's getting traded regardless so that's useless talk, we don't have that kind of power we're not the media

Solo

but seriously your argument is full of pipe dreams

That's why it's a WISH list bruh.

You'll get fleeced on half of those trades. Radulov won't sign for what you want him to. Galchenyuk won't sign for a discount after scoring 30 goals and getting injured.

I know Rads will get probably $7Mx7 and whatever team does that is going to be regretting it hard by year 3. And yes, I know AGally's agent and father are going to play hardball for sure. The team will want to get him on a Patches type of $4.5Mx6 deal, and he'll be trying to get Forsberg money (unsuccessfully). I'm thinking he is going to get another bridge deal, but this time a 1 year deal.

imBask

Banned
anyway calm down we're winning on Saturday and i'll order a bunch of saddles to put on my dick so you can all ride it to the next round

Solo

I don't know man. What I saw last night was a Rangers team that wanted it bad and a Habs team that quit midway through the game. And to a man they were all so defeated post-game. I'd love to say I see a rousing comeback happening, but the feeling I get is that the team lacks resilience and is going to fold like a cheap chair tomorrow night. Like, it'll be one tging if the Habs get rolling and score a goal or two, but if the Rags score first, you'll see the team give up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Still feeling real good about my Habs in 5 pick.

In other news, the Rangers have made it official much sooner than expected: they've signed KHL defenseman Alexei Bereglazov. The offseason overhaul of our defense to compliment last year's overhaul of our offense has already begun.

calder

4-0 is how your only playoff series in 20+ years ended too.

That was just endlessly mean spirited Marvin, mocking me for having a shitty team is like mocking a short person for being short - it's out of my control! Despite my best tweets I can't seem to get Maurice fired; I'm at my wits end here.

Now you can soften the blow of your cruelty by admitting you can't possibly resign Darling and it's time for him to spread his wings and fly... about 800 miles north, ideally. He can be a 1A and we'll give him a few mill a year and treat him great.

Yeah but Timmins drafted well that one year

your argument is flawed Solo

I mean Timmins did draft Lehkonen. He gets a Pass. I'm praying Mete becomes a Defenceman Superstar. Trust me on Mete you guys, I was right about Lehkonen.

As an aside, I should note that I'm perfectly okay with trading AGally if we are needing to add +++ to get Tavares, of course.....

You finally get it. And I'm totally okay with trading Pacioretty in that deal to get Tavares.

Blow it up a little, not a lot. We need a Leadership overhaul

Solo

I mean Timmins did draft Lehkonen. He gets a Pass. I'm praying Mete becomes a Defenceman Superstar. Trust me on Mete you guys, I was right about Lehkonen.

What in tarnation. You don't gwt a free pass for 1 guy in 10 drafts.

You finally get it. And I'm totally okay with trading Pacioretty in that deal to get Tavares.

The problem is that our dumbass GM isn't going to trade AGally as part of a deal to land Tavares. No, he's going to trade him straight up for Matt Stajan.

imBask

Banned
Habs fans are exhausting

it's over dude

Disregard that it's the closest series in the whole league and it's 3-2, we lost by 1 goal, they lost by 1 goal

it's over

there's NO CHANCE we'll win

we're basically doom, the only way to go is a rebuild starting next year

tbh that series is telling, we can't beat an even match so why even compete

move the team to Quebec city

oh but DON'T YOU DARE CRITICIZE THE GOLDEN CHILD FOR A BAD PLAY THO, YOU'RE BEING IRRATIONAL

Solo

Like, I want the Habs to win so bad because I'd love to see a third Habs/Sens series in 5 years and all the salt that would flow in here. Rangers GAF is good people, but they aren't salty. I want to sprinkle Cock Baby's sodium laced essence on my poutine during that series.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We have no idea what will happen tomorrow, they could be a no show or have a repeat of game 3. Until it's over I'm not going overboard with this tear the team down garbage.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Like, I want the Habs to win so bad because I'd love to see a third Habs/Sens series in 5 years and all the salt that would flow in here. Rangers GAF is good people, but they aren't salty. I want to sprinkle Cock Baby's sodium laced essence on my poutine during that series.

Ain't got nothing to be salty about. This is supposed to be your boys' revenge tour after all, not ours.

Top Bottom